PDA

View Full Version : Passport Questions.

tone
10th February 2014, 23:10
Hi everyone hoping you can provide some clarity on the following:-
Rina is going to Manila on 12th may with our 18 month old.
Her Filipino passport expires 2 November 14.
I assume we will need to renew the passport as it doesn't have 6 months on it when leaving the Uk?
The passport is currently in her maiden name and because changing the flights already booked in maiden name means the renewal will have to stay in maiden name.

The bugger of this is that in August she will eligible for British citizenship so to get he a British passport in her married name what do we have to do?
I realise the BRP will have to be sent back and renewed to married name.

Think that's it for now! Next will be the process of dual citizenship for her and Little one.
Tone

marksroomspain
10th February 2014, 23:32
Never heard of having to have at least 6 months when leaving UK as long as her passport is valid upon return I see no problems.

The only thing is, is that some countries require 6 months validity upon entrance and as a filipino passport holder that shouldnt cause problems upon entry in the Phils.

Someone correct me if I am wrong...:smile:

grahamw48
10th February 2014, 23:43
It doesn't matter if she's going to the Phils. At present, for passport purposes... it's her home country ! :biggrin:

Doesn't matter coming back either, as she has a long-term settlement visa for the UK. :smile:

Double-check on the relevant websites though, just to reassure yourselves. My ex did a similar trip with less than 6 months on her passport...no probs. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
11th February 2014, 07:40
we had this problem too with Ems passport, it was the airlines that can stop you we was told, Ems had 3 months on her passport when we was returning

Michael Parnham
11th February 2014, 07:45
we had this problem too with Ems passport, it was the airlines that can stop you we was told, Ems had 3 months on her passport when we was returning

You're right Steve, it is the Airlines! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
11th February 2014, 12:19
Well the airlines would be wrong IMO.

Your wives would not be tourists or on any kind of time-limited stay in EITHER country, so what is their problem (apart from ignorance) ? :Erm:

Arthur Little
11th February 2014, 13:40
Well the airlines would be wrong IMO.

Your wives would not be tourists or on any kind of time-limited stay in EITHER country, so what is their problem (apart from ignorance) ? :Erm:

:iagree:, Graham ... :yeahthat: or bloody~minded bureaucracy! :icon_rolleyes:

tone
11th February 2014, 21:45
Does anyone know how long it takes to renew a passport in Phils nowadays? Rina is saying she has been told two months?

Has anyone been told to renew Filipino passport from here that she needs to supply voters reg and christening cert?

I am confused! The page on phils embassey says:-

List of other supporting documents

Marriage Contract - yes UK
Baptismal Certificate - no
PRC/IBP ID - no
Seaman’s Book - no
Land Title - no
Driver’s License - YES UK
Government Service Record - No
Old SSS-E1 form - No
Transcript of Records - No
Voter’s Registration Record - No

Would love to hear what others have used..
Thanks
Tone

marksroomspain
11th February 2014, 22:42
Tone my wife Jamie renewed her passport at the Philippine embassy in London 3 weeks ago all she was required to produce was her old passport which was given back to her along with a completed application form (1 page long only which can be downloaded and printed off) our marriage certificate because she wanted to use her married name, photocopies of her data page and her biometrics were taken at the embassy along with photos.

We were in and out in 25 mins and were told it would take up to 6 weeks to process also we supplied a perpaid special delivery envelope for the new passport to be sent back to us (we put on £6.95 in stamps which covers weight up to 500 grams also insured for £500)

Just give them a call mate to clarify above but its staight forward...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
11th February 2014, 23:29
Hi everyone hoping you can provide some clarity on the following:-
Rina is going to Manila on 12th may with our 18 month old.
Her Filipino passport expires 2 November 14.
I assume we will need to renew the passport as it doesn't have 6 months on it when leaving the Uk?
The passport is currently in her maiden name and because changing the flights already booked in maiden name means the renewal will have to stay in maiden name.

The bugger of this is that in August she will eligible for British citizenship so to get he a British passport in her married name what do we have to do?
I realise the BRP will have to be sent back and renewed to married name.

Think that's it for now! Next will be the process of dual citizenship for her and Little one.
Tone

Tone,
There's been a number of people here who have travelled to Philippines from UK on a short validity Phils passport. As far as I know without problems, from my memory only ALL had a written letter of confirmation from the Philippine Embassy.

These days airlines have really tightened up on their check-in and boarding procedures.

Rightly or wrongly people DO get prevented from travelling for no proper reason.

It's a weakness of having the decisions of such importance being made at too low a pay grade.

I'm sure you can imagine the problems if travelling is prevented by an ill-informed airline employee. Not a pleasant situation and nothing much you can do about it at the time.

Personally, I think you have time enough to renew that passport and minimise risks.

The worst case scenario is that the new passport is somehow delayed and you need to organise emergency travel documents from the Embassy. I doubt that will happen.

Just for the record she could travel on her passport to her home country with just 1 day validity.

Out of curiosity who is the carrier?
If it were PAL there'd be no issues at all.

The other consideration when transiting a flight connection is if anything unexpected happens at the interchange airport when different airlines are involved.

Just my opinion.

tone
12th February 2014, 14:04
Tone,
There's been a number of people here who have travelled to Philippines from UK on a short validity Phils passport. As far as I know without problems, from my memory only ALL had a written letter of confirmation from the Philippine Embassy.

These days airlines have really tightened up on their check-in and boarding procedures.

Rightly or wrongly people DO get prevented from travelling for no proper reason.

It's a weakness of having the decisions of such importance being made at too low a pay grade.

I'm sure you can imagine the problems if travelling is prevented by an ill-informed airline employee. Not a pleasant situation and nothing much you can do about it at the time.

Personally, I think you have time enough to renew that passport and minimise risks.

The worst case scenario is that the new passport is somehow delay and you need to organise emergency travel documents from the Embassy. I doubt that will happen.

Just for the record she could travel on her passport to her home country with just 1 day validity.

Out of curiosity who is the carrier?
If it were PAL there'd be no issues at all.

The other consideration when transiting a flight connection is if anything unexpected happens at the interchange airport when different airlines are involved.

Just my opinion.

Hi Peter
We are travelling via Dubai on Emirates from Birmingham.

I would err on the side of caution and do as others and get the passport renewed to be honest as I don't want the stress of Rina being denied boarding.

I thought of calling the airline but as you say different opinions can be found by speaking to different people!

I just spoke to the Embassy and they say the passport renewals are taking 6 weeks so we have time, and have printed the forms off and have everything to hand.

We wont change the name at this stage - just renew as it is.

Thanks!

Tone

tone
12th February 2014, 14:05
Tone my wife Jamie renewed her passport at the Philippine embassy in London 3 weeks ago all she was required to produce was her old passport which was given back to her along with a completed application form (1 page long only which can be downloaded and printed off) our marriage certificate because she wanted to use her married name, photocopies of her data page and her biometrics were taken at the embassy along with photos.

We were in and out in 25 mins and were told it would take up to 6 weeks to process also we supplied a perpaid special delivery envelope for the new passport to be sent back to us (we put on £6.95 in stamps which covers weight up to 500 grams also insured for £500)

Just give them a call mate to clarify above but its staight forward...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thank you for this - really useful!

Tone

raynaputi
12th February 2014, 15:29
Tone, is Rina changing her maiden name to married name too when she renews her passport? If she will, then her BRP card needs to be changed too if it's in her maiden name. BRP card and passport should have the same name on both of it. That's another thing to consider.

tone
12th February 2014, 17:29
Tone, is Rina changing her maiden name to married name too when she renews her passport? If she will, then her BRP card needs to be changed too if it's in her maiden name. BRP card and passport should have the same name on both of it. That's another thing to consider.

Hi Rayna
No is the answer - going to leave the filipino passport in maiden name.
Then in August we will do the british passport and this will be in Married name and willl send her BRP off for an update too.

Its strange that once you have a british passport what need is there for a BRP?

Tone

raynaputi
12th February 2014, 18:11
Hi Rayna
No is the answer - going to leave the filipino passport in maiden name.
Then in August we will do the british passport and this will be in Married name and willl send her BRP off for an update too.

Its strange that once you have a british passport what need is there for a BRP?

Tone

I don't think there will be a BRP card issued for the Naturalisation (???). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Form AN doesn't have an application form part for the BRP.

Terpe
13th February 2014, 12:03
I don't think there will be a BRP card issued for the Naturalisation (???). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Form AN doesn't have an application form part for the BRP.

That's right Rayna......no BRP at Naturalisation.

sars_notd_virus
13th February 2014, 13:57
Hi Peter

I just spoke to the Embassy and they say the passport renewals are taking 6 weeks so we have time, and have printed the forms off and have everything to hand.

We wont change the name at this stage - just renew as it is.

Thanks!

Tone

Yup , just renew the PH passport and leave her details as it is :xxgrinning--00xx3:
it might be quicker than 6weeks, just in time for when Rina travels in 12thMay.