PDA

View Full Version : Filipino middle names??

Admin
18th June 2004, 11:18
Question from me for a change. My wife renewed her passport at the Philippine Embassy London, and they automatically changed her middle name to her previous surname.!

She says this is the norm, but she is about to put in for British citizenship and as the passport no longer matches the birth certificate, I feel in these days of security they won't accept it.

A name change in the UK usually needs solicitor authorisation.

Is the name change the norm, or has the Phil embassy gone cuckoo, and will the immigration accept it?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Gary
19th October 2005, 09:04
To change your name you don't really need a solicitor or anything like that.
All he will do is write on a bit of paper that you've changed your name to frederick jo bloggs and then he'll sign it.

All anyone needs to do in UK to change their name is to use it....

You are then using the name you legaly wish to be known by. Of course you must change all your documents as the new name will take effect in all aspects of your life, including banks, mortgage, NHS card, driving licence etc. etc.

The law as far as I understand requires you to inform banks... due to fraud...but not really needed in other aspects... typical... but seeing as the name change is on the passport and if you ever wanted to go for a new account or had to prove ID then you must use the name on passport, if they wanted further ID then other ID must match...obviously...

So in theory, you could have two names, but as long as you don't break the law in any way with them then it shouldn't be a problem...but it would be best to make any changes to all documentation.

You cannot change birth certificate... her passport can be changed back to it's original name if so desired but maybe it would be better to wait until you got the UK passport issued...I'm sure the passport office will realise and understand what's happened as long as you include a supporting letter.

walesrob
19th October 2005, 10:19
Originally posted by admin@Jun 18 2004, 11:18 AM
Question from me for a change. My wife renewed her passport at the Philippine Embassy London, and they automatically changed her middle name to her previous surname.!

She says this is the norm, but she is about to put in for British citizenship and as the passport no longer matches the birth certificate, I feel in these days of security they won't accept it.

A name change in the UK usually needs solicitor authorisation.

Is the name change the norm, or has the Phil embassy gone cuckoo, and will the immigration accept it?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Quoted post

Elsa automatically took on her fathers surname as her middle name when we married.

deepete
19th October 2005, 11:09
Well thats different as my wife uses her mothers maiden name as her middle name, seems to be the norm where she comes from.

Peter

Admin
20th October 2005, 09:19
I never got a middle name, parents couldn't afford the extra ink! :huh:

jooms
20th November 2005, 22:54
Perhaps I missed out in my education somewhere but what is the point of having a middle name? I don't have one, don't need one, don't want any middle name.
I suppose in years gone by one might have included great grandparents names etc so that you can be traced back to a certain lineage. Nowadays one may have a lot of middle names because parents couldn't make up their minds which ones to leave out. Anyway I'm just a long number to my bank, NHS, tax.
Filipinos have mother's surname as middle name but when asawa ko got her UK passport she just dropped all names other than Christian and Surname.
What would society do if I decided not to bother with a name. Or perhaps I prefer to call myself JKY467P. If that was the name stated in my passport would immigration man let me in?

Admin
21st November 2005, 09:44
Now your being silly.....CP30 was allowed in the UK for the Star Wars launch, so he must have had that on his passport :unsure:

Pauldo
22nd November 2005, 10:06
Originally posted by Gary@Oct 19 2005, 09:04 AM
All he will do is write on a bit of paper that you've changed your name to frederick jo bloggs and then he'll sign it.

Quoted post

My wife tried that, on your advice, but she recieved so much pi$$taking at work for having the the name frederick that she has now changed it back to Shirley ;) :D :rolleyes:

Admin
22nd November 2005, 10:36
My name used to be Shirley....I thought it was a bit gay.....so changed it to Dale Winton :blink: