PDA

View Full Version : Ben Fogle New lives in the wild 14th Feb 9pm Channel 5 - Leyte

joebloggs
3rd February 2014, 23:17
The adventurer journeys to a remote part of Leyte, one of the 7,000 tropical islands that make up the Philippines, to spend time with Neil Hoag, a 45-year-old former taxi driver from Florida. Ben joins the coconut farmer and his young family in their hillside bamboo house to experience daily life in a harsh and unforgiving climate, discovering why Neil ditched the hunt for the American dream.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cstxpb/ben-fogle-new-lives-in-the-wild--series-2---3-leyte-philippines-jungle

stevewool
4th February 2014, 08:11
thanks Joe, i like Ben Fogle,
I enjoy watching his shows and i shall loo forward to watching this too,

Terpe
4th February 2014, 08:55
Thanks for the heads up on that Joe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Got to be a 'must-see' on that one....well for me at least.:Jump:

Jamesey
4th February 2014, 21:37
Good find! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I saw this last week when he was in America. Fogle is good at this sort of programme.

stevewool
8th February 2014, 10:14
i watched last nights, again i did enjoy this, next weeks is the chap in the phils,
Watching the programs so far it shows it can be done but you still need money, not a lot but so much income coming in each month or year,
See what he does next week and that may push me along a little quicker i hope, but the only problem hes a yank so thats not a very good start :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
8th February 2014, 12:10
My favourite kind of TV! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
8th February 2014, 14:34
My favourite kind of TV!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yep to that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
14th February 2014, 23:55
So, did anyone else watch it ?

Reminded me of when I lived in the Bicol mountains for a few months...except we DIDN'T have electricity. :smile:

Terpe
15th February 2014, 00:06
So, did anyone else watch it ?

Reminded me of when I lived in the Bicol mountains for a few months...except we DIDN'T have electricity. :smile:

Recorded......likely watch it later if I can stay awake......too many glasses of champers :Cuckoo:

Arthur Little
15th February 2014, 01:21
:doh ... missed it! Ended up watching a repeat of 'New Tricks' ... ironically, the episode entitled, "Old Fossils" - guest-starring the late Trevor Bannister - which had been filmed shortly before the '70s 'Are You Being Served' actor's death from a heart attack at the age of 76 three years ago.

stevewool
15th February 2014, 10:32
I did watch it , a beautiful place but what a sad man i thought he was, he seemed to be on some sort of drug ,

It has not put me of from moving there , but not there ,

Save save and more saving , just need to get there quicker i am thinking,

grahamw48
15th February 2014, 10:58
I think you have to take these heavily-edited programmes with a pinch of salt.

They're not going to show much of the day to day humdrum stuff where he's just going about his business and taking care of his family.

These 'reality' shows need entertainment, all squeezed into 30 mins, and with the use of a lot of provocation and leading questions.

You're hardly likely to find a man who is 'the average Joe' leading that kind of life, but he's apparently built a house, reared what looks like a lovely family, and been doing it for 11 years already...so he must have some kind of head on his shoulders.

As for the preoccupation with the 'horror' of killing a damned chicken for lunch (and later, a pig), PLEASE, give me a break. That's just called the REAL WORLD. :NoNo:

Michael Parnham
15th February 2014, 11:17
I think you have to take these heavily-edited programmes with a pinch of salt.

They're not going to show much of the day to day humdrum stuff where he's just going about his business and taking care of his family.

These 'reality' shows need entertainment, all squeezed into 30 mins, and with the use of a lot of provocation and leading questions.

You're hardly likely to find a man who is 'the average Joe' leading that kind of life, but he's apparently built a house, reared what looks like a lovely family, and been doing it for 11 years already...so he must have some kind of head on his shoulders.

As for the preoccupation with the 'horror' of killing a damned chicken for lunch (and later, a pig), PLEASE, give me a break. That's just called the REAL WORLD. :NoNo:

The one thing that hurt me the most was the way they kill the pig, it really upset me to hear it suffering whilst dying, sometimes took an hour to die. Couldn't harm any animal if it involved a slow death, it's so cruel! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
15th February 2014, 13:21
It made good viewing but to be honest i found it a bit disappointing
I would say he was deffo on drugs

jake
15th February 2014, 14:13
The one thing that hurt me the most was the way they kill the pig, it really upset me to hear it suffering whilst dying, sometimes took an hour to die. Couldn't harm any animal if it involved a slow death, it's so cruel! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A compassionate carnivore!

Much better to stuff 'em on a conveyor belt in large groups and make them wait for an hour, as the other pigs are stunned individually. Or another method is to stuff 'em in a room and release carbon dioxide until they are dead. At least they wont be able squeal :cwm25:

grahamw48
15th February 2014, 15:07
Yep. I used to be a foreman on a commercial turkey farm, complete with our own processing plant, so I know where you're coming from Jake. :smile:

raynaputi
15th February 2014, 15:27

A compassionate carnivore!
Much better to stuff em on a conveyor belt in large groups and make them wait for an hour, as the other pigs are stunned individually. Or another method is to stuff em in a room and release carbon dioxide until they are dead. At least they wont be able squeal :cwm25:

When my grandparents was growing pigs and chickens in Laguna when I was younger, the thing that I hate the most was waking up in the morning of fiesta day with pig squealing so loud because it will be butchered. I usually just stayed in our room the whole time until the pig was dead. It gave me chills. But I can't deny that I'm a carnivore. I just hated the way it was killed. The chickens are easier though. I even helped my uncles kill it when I was younger. Just a straight slit of the throat and it's dead. The worst thing I viewed when I was a kid was a neighbour killing a dog for their pulutan. Up to this date, I can't remove the image of it. :cwm3: I remember me, my aunt and my siblings were crying while seeing it that time. That made me hate my neighbours and has never interacted with them ever since. :NoNo:

Michael Parnham
15th February 2014, 16:24
When my grandparents was growing pigs and chickens in Laguna when I was younger, the thing that I hate the most was waking up in the morning of fiesta day with pig squealing so loud because it will be butchered. I usually just stayed in our room the whole time until the pig was dead. It gave me chills. But I can't deny that I'm a carnivore. I just hated the way it was killed. The chickens are easier though. I even helped my uncles kill it when I was younger. Just a straight slit of the throat and it's dead. The worst thing I viewed when I was a kid was a neighbour killing a dog for their pulutan. Up to this date, I can't remove the image of it. :cwm3: I remember me, my aunt and my siblings were crying while seeing it that time. That made me hate my neighbours and has never interacted with them ever since. :NoNo:

Thank you Rayna! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
15th February 2014, 18:09
I remember - during one of my visits to the Phils - hearing for the very first time, the :cwm24: awful, blood~curdling squeals of a pig that was being slaughtered in the garden adjoining that of Myrna's relatives with whom I'd been living throughout my stay.

:omg: ... I still shudder :freezin: whenever I'm reminded of the truly dreadful impact such sounds had on my (shall we say?) more imaginative musings!

joebloggs
15th February 2014, 18:32
for those who missed it

http://www.channel5.com/shows/ben-fogle-new-lives-in-the-wild/episodes/episode-3-554

the guy looked like he was on something :Cuckoo:

and fogle attempting to cut the chickens head off :cwm24: i wonder what his vet father thought of it :cwm25:

andy222
15th February 2014, 20:40
When in Rome! I have just watched the program and enjoyed it.

jake
16th February 2014, 06:35
I remember - during one of my visits to the Phils - hearing for the very first time, the :cwm24: awful, blood~curdling squeals of a pig that was being slaughtered in the garden adjoining that of Myrna's relatives with whom I'd been living throughout my stay.

:omg: ... I still shudder :freezin: whenever I'm reminded of the truly dreadful impact such sounds had on my (shall we say?) more imaginative musings!

Out of sight,out of mind.
There were 9 million of these exact same squeals in the UK last year :omg: Don't be fooled into thinking that these pigs were treated or slaughtered in a better manner, just because it was the UK :cwm25:

joebloggs
16th February 2014, 09:45
Out of sight,out of mind.
There were 9 million of these exact same squeals in the UK last year :omg: Don't be fooled into thinking that these pigs were treated or slaughtered in a better manner, just because it was the UK :cwm25:

do they have animal rights laws in the phils :cwm25:
I've seen animals abused in the phils, ranging from zoo's, petshops and owners.

as for slaughterhouses in the UK, well gov qango defra was stripped of having the powers to prosecute and the CPS was given the powers, its a start in the right direction.

http://alaw.org.uk/2012/04/slaughterhouse-workers-jailed-after-alaw-intervention/

Terpe
16th February 2014, 11:53
I watched the programme and did enjoy it.
I'd agree with the point Graham makes about editing.....I just wonder what the edit was all about..Didn't seem to focus much on the challenges he faces/faced in his daily life, how and why he balances his curious lifestyle between Leyte and Florida or discovering the 'why's'
Unless it was just fact that he came from a broken dysfunctional family.

As others have mentioned he did seem to be 'odd'....I ended up feeling the 'edit' was all about the dark corners of Neil's mind.
His wife seemed to be the only 'normal' member of the family. His kids looked withdrawn and 'spaced out' .....not much like typical kids.

It was an interesting lifestyle.....not something that would bring happiness to my wife though .....the programme didn't reach it's potential IMO

Michael Parnham
16th February 2014, 11:58
I watched the programme and did enjoy it.
I'd agree with the point Graham makes about editing.....I just wonder what the edit was all about..Didn't seem to focus much on the challenges he faces/faced in his daily life, how and why he balances his curious lifestyle between Leyte and Florida or discovering the 'why's'
Unless it was just fact that he came from a broken dysfunctional family.

As others have mentioned he did seem to be 'odd'....I ended up feeling the 'edit' was all about the dark corners of Neil's mind.
His wife seemed to be the only 'normal' member of the family. His kids looked withdrawn and 'spaced out' .....not much like typical kids.

It was an interesting lifestyle.....not something that would bring happiness to my wife though .....the programme didn't reach it's potential IMO

Everyone is different Peter, I suppose there are some of us yet to meet these kind that are different!:Erm:

Terpe
16th February 2014, 12:11
Everyone is different Peter, I suppose there are some of us yet to meet these kind that are different!:Erm:

Co-incidently I met a similar character who was living close to Carina's home village. He was German and a few months per year taxi driver in Hamburg. Very very similar behaviour to Neil in the Leyte programme.
I'll not detail what happened at the end.......plenty of interesting stories and local gossip though...:yikes:

stevewool
16th February 2014, 12:35
just watched it again and just like you and many more say, it seemed to show him and ben more on what he has now and how he lives the day to day life

grahamw48
16th February 2014, 13:06
Next series may be about you living in a Mersk container Steve. :biggrin:

stevewool
16th February 2014, 13:08
you may be right there Graham, i was only on about that to Ems,

stevewool
16th February 2014, 13:09
Ems told me i will be living alone in that place while she lives in the nice house next door:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
16th February 2014, 13:16
I just watched it. Hands up to that guy for giving up his life in Florida to be in the Philippines (well most of the year according to what he said in the show). I myself could never live like that. Without TV, internet, phone..that's me doomed! Hahahaha :icon_lol:

grahamw48
16th February 2014, 13:17
@Steve...

Hahahaha...can't say I'm surprised. :icon_lol:

Still, nice to think 'outside the box' mate....or should that be 'inside the container' ? :Erm: :biggrin:

jake
16th February 2014, 13:18
do they have animal rights laws in the phils :cwm25:
I've seen animals abused in the phils, ranging from zoo's, petshops and owners.

as for slaughterhouses in the UK, well gov qango defra was stripped of having the powers to prosecute and the CPS was given the powers, its a start in the right direction.

http://alaw.org.uk/2012/04/slaughterhouse-workers-jailed-after-alaw-intervention/

They do have the animal welfare act of 1998 in the Philippines, however i very much doubt that it is ever implemented :cwm25:
Good to see that ALAW managed to prosecute the workers.
I just find it strange when people say the poor pig in the Philippines when they don't realize the abuse in the UK is just as bad.

grahamw48
16th February 2014, 13:20
My girl is just amazing. :heartshape1:

She says she'd be happy living in a tent, just as long as we're together. :smile:

(I've been busy getting my tent and stuff ready :biggrin:).

jake
16th February 2014, 13:21
Very very similar behaviour to Neil in the Leyte programme.

We all become like that after 10 years :icon_lol:

andy222
16th February 2014, 13:28
They do have the animal welfare act of 1998 in the Philippines, however i very much doubt that it is ever implemented :cwm25:
Good to see that ALAW managed to prosecute the workers.
I just find it strange when people say the poor pig in the Philippines when they don't realize the abuse in the UK is just as bad.
I agree with what you say Jake our animal welfare prosecutors shy away from prosecuting the muslim slaughter houses for the way they slaughter lambs and chickens for halal meat.

stevewool
16th February 2014, 13:32
so if he has to go away to make some money so he can live on for the rest of the year, that figure was £2500 or $2500, thats not much is it ?????

andy222
16th February 2014, 13:37
I doubt if you could live like that steve. You would want something a bit more in your comfort zone.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
16th February 2014, 13:41
i could not Andy, i know that, but i dont want the castle too,

jake
16th February 2014, 13:50
so if he has to go away to make some money so he can live on for the rest of the year, that figure was £2500 or $2500, thats not much is it ?????

When we first moved here our monthly budget was very small. Fine if you are just a couple, however matey boy seems to have a few kids. What future are they going to have being stuck up some mountain :NoNo:

stevewool
16th February 2014, 13:57
i am glad someone else is thinking just what i have said to Ems,

Dont these people think long term, but thats my biggest problem i look to far ahead

Terpe
16th February 2014, 14:45
just watched it again and just like you and many more say, it seemed to show him and ben more on what he has now and how he lives the day to day life

Good idea that Steve......I'll also give it second viewing and see how it goes.