PDA

View Full Version : Philippines: What shots/injections do I need?

eddiek
25th January 2014, 23:03
Hi gang,

Hope yer all well.

Im heading to Manila on the 18th of april (3 months time).

I have never been to Asia before, and I just want to know what shots I need to get before heading over there?

I also need to know, how soon I need to get these injections.

Thanks as always,
Ed

jonnijon
25th January 2014, 23:58
None :xxgrinning--00xx3:

matt-wilkie
26th January 2014, 01:15
What to expect though is a bout of the flu from air conditioning due to lack of maintenance. Make a cocktail mix of alcohol and washing up liquid when there (find another mix online somewhere if you want) in a cheap spray bottle and spray it into the filters etc.

Dengue is something that you may come across but with the current weather wouldn't worry about it! but worth researching the symptoms and being aware that Tawa-Tawa (Milk-Milk) boiled into a tea is a better cure than any hospital.

Besides that wouldn't worry.

imagine
26th January 2014, 03:40
Hi gang,

Hope yer all well.

I have never been to Asia before, and I just want to know what shots I need to get before heading over there?

Thanks as always,
Ed

Courses or boosters usually advised: Hepatitis A; Tetanus; Typhoid.
http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/philippines.aspx
http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx

Ako Si Jamie
26th January 2014, 08:49
I got my boosters three months before my first trip over.

Take some mosquito repellent to combat the threat of dengue as well but there's no need for malaria tablets if you're only going to Manila.

Ako Si Jamie
26th January 2014, 08:51
What to expect though is a bout of the flu from air conditioning due to lack of maintenance. Happened to me. Not nice!

Michael Parnham
26th January 2014, 12:12
Hi gang,

Hope yer all well.

Thanks as always,
Ed

You need to start your injections about now, you should be ok for the next ten years!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

irishman12
26th January 2014, 12:54
Hi Eddie ,if you only plan on staying in manila -then it might not be necessary to have shots ,been there lots of times and never had any, incl visits to some other islands ,i would like to chat with you privately ,if thats ok maybe we could exchange e-mails via one of the moderators

Slip
18th February 2014, 16:20
Courses or boosters usually advised: Hepatitis A; Tetanus; Typhoid.
http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/philippines.aspx
http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/home.aspx

Was advised to get what you mentioned. So went this morning, just about recovered from some sort of flu virus tht laid me out for 4 days. She offered to do one injection in each arm and the third at a later date, I said just get them over and done with! As I am left handed she put two in my right arm (Tetanus and Hep A) and the Typhoid in my left arm. I thought my right arm would be the one hurting, but the solitary injection in my left is giving me grief... It feels like Mike Tyson has punched me in it! And when I lift my arm above my head I am in agony!

Harlene just laughed at me and said I am a baby lol

Terpe
18th February 2014, 22:54
Was advised to get what you mentioned. So went this morning, just about recovered from some sort of flu virus tht laid me out for 4 days. She offered to do one injection in each arm and the third at a later date, I said just get them over and done with! As I am left handed she put two in my right arm (Tetanus and Hep A) and the Typhoid in my left arm. I thought my right arm would be the one hurting, but the solitary injection in my left is giving me grief... It feels like Mike Tyson has punched me in it! And when I lift my arm above my head I am in agony!

Good for you Slip :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I for one do believe you made the best decision.

I've seen too many friends and colleagues get caught out over the years by being too cavalier about such protections.....some very seriously I might add.

Keep up any needed boosters too. The stiffness gets less each time

bigmac
19th February 2014, 11:57
The stiffness gets less each time

so ive heard:yikes:

Terpe
19th February 2014, 14:11
The stiffness gets less each time

so ive heard:yikes:

Last week I mowed the lawn without wearing my scarf......got a really stiff neck..
My wife suggested I mow the lawn without my trousers next time :Erm:

imagine
19th February 2014, 14:35

always best to be safe, well done slip:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
19th February 2014, 15:12
May I suggest this link, just updated ?

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33885-Health-checklist-before-travel-to-Philippines?p=482972#post482972