25th January 2014, 18:26

a beautiful building on a beautiful night

stevewool
25th January 2014, 18:42

here are some of the great building i have seen on our holiday

vernier caliper
25th January 2014, 21:13
Hi Steve.

Burj Al Arab and the last building, called ADNEC Capital Gate are two of the buildings built by my last company. I was personally involved in the construction of Capital Gate (work quality inspections and systems compliance audit to be specific). ADNEC is in the Guinness Book of Records as the most leaning tower. I have also kept the video from 3D planning to finishing and its available on National Geographic's website. FYI, part of the building is made from millions of egg shells!

Many people criticise the Middle East, but as an Engineer it is the best place to have a chance to be involved in some great construction projects.

Glad you enjoyed the sights!

Rose

tiger31
26th January 2014, 05:03
Hi Steve.

Burj Al Arab and the last building, called ADNEC Capital Gate are two of the buildings built by my last company. I was personally involved in the construction of Capital Gate (work quality inspections and systems compliance audit to be specific). ADNEC is in the Guinness Book of Records as the most leaning tower. I have also kept the video from 3D planning to finishing and its available on National Geographic's website. FYI, part of the building is made from millions of egg shells!

Many people criticise the Middle East, but as an Engineer it is the best place to have a chance to be involved in some great construction projects.

Glad you enjoyed the sights!

Rose
yes nice buildings built using slave labour I only have pure contempt for arabs using third world labour.

vernier caliper
26th January 2014, 10:01
yes nice buildings built using slave labour I only have pure contempt for arabs using third world labour.

Dont believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. Nearly every foreigner living/working there is there for the money, i.e. some kind of financial gain. In the case of a British expat it is easy to see how a £120k tax free salary for a years is a good deal. In the case of a Pakistani or Bangladeshi construction workers they may earn much less but it is often 100x what they could earn at home and their families are no longer starving. In the UAE and Oman they are looked after well by the big construction companies.

I have met and worked with many of these people and they see working in the UAE as an opportunity, they do not think this is slavery nor are they disappointed with the situation they are in.

What is happening in Qatar right now is awful, but that is not the case in Dubai.

tiger31
26th January 2014, 10:17
Dont believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. Nearly every foreigner living/working there is there for the money, i.e. some kind of financial gain. In the case of a British expat it is easy to see how a £120k tax free salary for a years is a good deal. In the case of a Pakistani or Bangladeshi construction workers they may earn much less but it is often 100x what they could earn at home and their families are no longer starving. In the UAE and Oman they are looked after well by the big construction companies.

I have met and worked with many of these people and they see working in the UAE as an opportunity, they do not think this is slavery nor are they disappointed with the situation they are in.

What is happening in Qatar right now is awful, but that is not the case in Dubai.
I am not saying every construction company treat their workers badly but overall its well known how arabs treat workers from the 3rd world ,you will never get told the truth most of the time the arabs will not admit to working conditions their workers have to endure .you know all about maids jumping out of windows to excape their employers ,you know all about the bad treatment of overseas workers .

stevewool
26th January 2014, 10:43
to me they are beautiful buildings, and the people who worked on them, well they had a choice to be there or not,

Michael Parnham
26th January 2014, 12:06
to me they are beautiful buildings, and the people who worked on them, well they had a choice to be there or not,

Very nice photo's Steve! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
26th January 2014, 12:11
I am not saying every construction company treat their workers badly but overall its well known how arabs treat workers from the 3rd world ,you will never get told the truth most of the time the arabs will not admit to working conditions their workers have to endure .you know all about maids jumping out of windows to excape their employers ,you know all about the bad treatment of overseas workers .

Where ever you go in the world you're going to get an employer who takes the :censored: out of their employees whether it be in the UK, UAE or the Philippines and the only time you hear about is when when a maid jumps, or some similar tragedy.
No need to tar them all with the same brush :NoNo:
My father used to work as a HR manager for one of the largest construction companies in the world (American owned), he told me stories of employees showing him plans of mansions they were having built back home because of the money they were earning in the UAE, so not all bad then :smile:

stevewool
26th January 2014, 14:45
Very nice photo's Steve! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

thanks Michael the last picture was taken at 60mph while going past it