PDA

View Full Version : Fat Britons

gWaPito
18th January 2014, 13:27
Fat Britons threaten NHS with £20bn bill for surgery
BRITAIN is sitting on an obesity timebomb that could cripple the National Health Service, researchers warned yesterday.
By: Mark Reynolds Sat, January 18, 2014

Gastric bypass procedures are very costlyGastric bypass procedures are very costly
A study found that more than two million adults are eligible for expensive weight loss surgery.

Treating them all would cost the taxpayer £20billion.

Medical experts warned that wide-ranging action was needed to avoid the burgeoning obesity crisis from destroying the NHS.

Weight loss operations, such as the fitting of a gastric band or gastric bypass surgery, are available on the NHS to treat those with potentially life-threatening obesity.

About 8,000 people currently receive the treatment each year, at a cost of up to £11,000 each.

But researchers from Imperial College London have discovered that, with the nation getting fatter, more than five per cent of adults actually qualify for surgery – more than 2.1 million people in England alone. In the study of nearly 9,500 people, published in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, researchers found that surgery .take-up rates were low.

Lead researcher Dr Sonia Saxena said: “Less than one per cent of those eligible have weight loss .surgery each year.”

Two million adults being eligible for weight loss surgery
Miliband must tell us whose side he is on
Some 26 per cent of all adults in England are obese and a further 41 per cent of men and 33 per cent of women are overweight

The report added: “Due to the limited capacity of health services to meet demand under existing .criteria, greater investment into service provision may be required to meet a growing need.”

Several factors contributed to surgery rates currently being so low, the study found, including those with greatest need for surgery being more often in the lowest socio-.economic groups and the least likely to use healthcare services.

Some 26 per cent of all adults in England are obese and a further 41 per cent of men and 33 per cent of women are overweight.

A recent study by the National Obesity Forum warned that earlier projections that half the UK .pop.ulation would be obese by 2050 .actually underestimate the problem.The lobbying group called for hard-hitting awareness campaigns, .similar to the approach taken to cut smoking, to stem the problem.

Some surgical procedures are .considered quick fixes, with up to a third of gastric band patients putting the weight back on. Robert Oxley of campaign group the TaxPayers’ .Alliance said: “Britain cannot overcome its obesity crisis through costly surgery or government

gWaPito
18th January 2014, 15:53
This story struck a cord with me today. I've just returned from a wonderful sunshine break in Fuerteventura. This was my first European beach holiday in 15 years. My teenage kids came here back then. This time I travelled alone.

What I did notice was the amount of grossly overweight people there, compared to 15 years ago. I thought no more of it until I read this story.

It states that the cost of a gastric band bypass can be as much as 11k.....I beg to differ. ..a guy at work had it done by the NHS at an overall cost of 18k.
That was 5 years ago. ...He is now back to his original size.
It was pointed out that very few of these operations are successful. ..because it's a mind issue.

Iani
18th January 2014, 17:30
There's all these fad diets, women (Always seems to be women - maybe men don't like to admit it) gushing on about the latest diet which will give them the easy way to lose their bingo wings, by doing something nuts like eating peaches and cutting out cauliflower, or only eating yellow things on Tuesdays - you know the sort of thing that gets pages in publications like Bella or Heat.

What doesn't seem so popular is the "Eat less and exercise more diet". Funny that because this diet really really does often work, especially combined with the "lifestyle change" diet (Don't go back to slobbing on a sofa drinking Stella and stuffing your face with pizza afterwards)

Again - funny that.

Oh and Mr Tebbit caused uproar earlier last week by suggesting fat people cause obesity by eating rubbish. The "experts" were quick to denounce him.
How could he possibly say such a thing the evil man. Next he'll be suggesting drunkenness is caused by drinking alcohol and sunburn by going out in the sun.

gWaPito
18th January 2014, 19:17
So true. ..it's not rocket science for goodness sake. Such a shame. .such a waste. We all know better but too weak willed to do anything about it. ..until it's too late.

BTW. ...sunburn and drunkenness. .Plenty of that on holiday ... It made me remember why i gave up drinking 7 years ago. .I become a handful hahaha.

You only live once. ...only 3 and a half hours away to boot.

stevewool
18th January 2014, 20:06
i feel fat after 3 weeks holiday, but i am happy

stevewool
18th January 2014, 20:10
mark how did you put your head onto that body in the avatar picture :biggrin:

gWaPito
18th January 2014, 21:29
mark how did you put your head onto that body in the avatar picture :biggrin:

It's all me :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
18th January 2014, 21:30
3 weeks there would of killed me. :icon_lol:

I was glad to leave. .I know the lottery jackpot wouldn't do me any good. .:icon_lol:

Like a dog off the lesh....blowing away my heartache. It did the trick.

grahamw48
18th January 2014, 22:09
Noooo sympathy for fat slobs. Self-inflicted. Make them pay. Plenty will own property, cars etc.
For how long have people been lectured about sensible diet and lifestyle ? :NoNo:

gWaPito
18th January 2014, 23:01
Noooo sympathy for fat slobs. Self-inflicted. Make them pay. Plenty will own property, cars etc.
For how long have people been lectured about sensible diet and lifestyle ? :NoNo:
Totally agree. ..what surprises me is that it seems there's more of it about. We know the risks yet obesity is on the up.

Gusto_Ko_Na
19th January 2014, 00:54
Maybe when the Government starts giving us proper eating guidelines we won't have such problems.

How many still believe the same old crap about saturated fat?

Been telling us nothing but lies for decades.

grahamw48
19th January 2014, 01:22
Proper eating guidelines ? You're having a laugh aren't you ? Nothing to do with the gov anyway...except them wasting our taxes on fools.

Gusto_Ko_Na
19th January 2014, 01:45
Having a laugh? No..not really. Been telling us to eat diets high in carbs and grains and then tells us we are too overweight. Encourage correct eating based on scientific research and we will all be healthier.

grahamw48
19th January 2014, 04:21
Rubbish

Michael Parnham
19th January 2014, 10:20

I totally agree Graham, by the way have a good break and enjoy!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
19th January 2014, 10:40
Rubbish

Watch the film Wall-E, that's what it will become in the future!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
19th January 2014, 11:48
Having a laugh? No..not really. Been telling us to eat diets high in carbs and grains and then tells us we are too overweight. Encourage correct eating based on scientific research and we will all be healthier.

None of us need any Govt to tell us what is not good to eat.....we all know. There's enough info the packaging to make an informed choice. There you have it. It was the same for tobacco. It's been known since the 30s that it's a killer yet advertising was still going strong 50 years later...Do you suggest if the Govt told us to jump off a cliff, we'd all do it.

No offence :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3: