PDA

View Full Version : What if....

Ako Si Jamie
10th January 2014, 22:13
What if you're driving in the dark and you accidentally knock over a cyclist who has no lights.

Who is legally at fault?

And why is it that the Police ignore cyclists without lights? - yet if a motorist isn't wearing a seat belt, they'll chase them around town and pull them over!

Surely riding on a public highway on a bicycle in the dark without lights is just as dangerous as refraining from wearing a seat belt in a vehicle - if not more.

Perhaps it's something to do with the Police not being able to extract cash from cyclists. :Erm:

grahamw48
10th January 2014, 22:48
I was always really strict with my boy about lights on his bike ...so scared of him not being seen, and getting hurt.

He's always careful to use them at all times now, when cycling the 7 mile return journey to his work each day. I fixed a puncture for him only yesterday.

I agree though, those who break the law should be punished properly...and consistently.

Michael Parnham
10th January 2014, 22:51
What if you're driving in the dark and you accidentally knock over a cyclist who has no lights.

Who is legally at fault?

And why is it that the Police ignore cyclists without lights? - yet if a motorist isn't wearing a seat belt, they'll chase them around town and pull them over!

Surely riding on a public highway on a bicycle in the dark without lights is just as dangerous as refraining from wearing a seat belt in a vehicle - if not more.

Perhaps it something to do with the Police not being able to extract cash from cyclists. :Erm:

Interesting topic Jamie, it's also illegal to cycle on the footpath but no one seems to bother. A friend of mine many years ago was driving his articulated vehicle at night when he had to stop at a small roundabout in Market Deeping, whilst waiting a teenage boy on a bicycle came along the n/side of his truck with no lights, my friend set off turning left and unfortunately the trailer wheels crushed the teenager killing him instantly. The inquest took place almost a year after the event and many family members on both sides were never the same again also my friend was off work three years before he could drive again even though he was not guilty of any traffic offence. My point is, if the police had made a point of putting a stop to these kind of offences many cyclists who had died under these tragic circumstances would be alive today!

grahamw48
10th January 2014, 23:00
That's just awful for all concerned Michael.

It happened to one of my schoolmates, on his way home from school one day, here in York.
Exactly the same scenario. :bigcry:

Total co-incidence but as I was walking up to traffic lights in town yesterday, a little computer-generated voice started coming from a big truck that was filtering left...warning of its intentions.

Pedestrians waiting to cross at the junction were grinning, evidently thinking it was quite amusing, but of course if it saves (all too common) tragedies like the ones above. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

One of the reasons I'm maybe a bit paranoid about my son on his bike, is of course the fact that I was knocked off mine at 16, and very nearly killed. It stays with you forever.

Michael Parnham
10th January 2014, 23:07
The public should be aware that all the little computer generated gismo's that are in use these days are to save lives and not to be laughed at!:anerikke:

Ako Si Jamie
10th January 2014, 23:11
Interesting topic Jamie, it's also illegal to cycle on the footpath but no one seems to bother. A friend of mine many years ago was driving his articulated vehicle at night when he had to stop at a small roundabout in Market Deeping, whilst waiting a teenage boy on a bicycle came along the n/side of his truck with no lights, my friend set off turning left and unfortunately the trailer wheels crushed the teenager killing him instantly. The inquest took place almost a year after the event and many family members on both sides were never the same again also my friend was off work three years before he could drive again even though he was not guilty of any traffic offence. My point is, if the police had made a point of putting a stop to these kind of offences many cyclists who had died under these tragic circumstances would be alive today!Sad story Michael.

I personally think all cyclists ought to take some kind of road safety test to make them aware of the dangers. Only the other week I passed a cyclist on a 60mph road without lights and wearing dark clothing. OK, it wasn't completely dark but all cars had their lights on and it was difficult seeing him against the background of bushes and trees.

purple
10th January 2014, 23:26
As per Highway Code... it is against the law not to have lights or any form of visibility when walking or cycling in the night/dark.

I recently passed my Theory Driving test you see... 50 out of 50 and it was my first time.

Though I have seen so many drivers who doesn't indicate on round about and turning junctions :cwm23:

grahamw48
11th January 2014, 00:20
Mostly BMW drivers...and mostly women. :icon_lol:

Well done on the full marks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
11th January 2014, 01:05
A friend of mine many years ago was driving his articulated vehicle at night when he had to stop at a small roundabout in Market Deeping, whilst waiting a teenage boy on a bicycle came along the n/side of his truck with no lights, my friend set off turning left and unfortunately the trailer wheels crushed the teenager killing him instantly. The inquest took place almost a year after the event and many family members on both sides were never the same again also my friend was off work three years before he could drive again even though he was not guilty of any traffic offence. My point is, if the police had made a point of putting a stop to these kind of offences many cyclists who had died under these tragic circumstances would be alive today!

:yeahthat: tragic tale of what happened to the friend of yours just doesn't bear thinking about, Michael ... yet the awful memory will haunt the poor soul (through no fault of his) - and the parents of the young lad who was killed - for the rest of their lives. :omg:!

Arthur Little
11th January 2014, 02:09
it's also illegal to cycle on the footpath but no one seems to bother.

Although :iagree: in principle, I imagine (or, at least, would hope) the reason no one bats an eyelid, is because it's generally recognised that today's main roads are, for the most part, unsafe for cyclists - due, of course, to the sheer volume of motorised traffic using them.

Inevitably, from time to time, :icon_rolleyes: you do come across reckless, idiot cyclists who are, at best, an inconvenience - and at worst the cause of serious [or even fatal] injury - to pedestrians walking on pavements and footpaths but ... :anerikke: ... usually the dangers are relatively minimal compared, for instance, to road accidents.

grahamw48
11th January 2014, 10:28
I agree Arthur.

These days I tend to be more forgiving of children cycling on the pavement, when you consider what dangers they face on the road, compared with in 'our day'.

Rory
11th January 2014, 11:16
I agree Arthur.

These days I tend to be more forgiving of children cycling on the pavement, when you consider what dangers they face on the road, compared with in 'our day'.

Even thought it is wrong i agree with you Graham, the roads are getting so busy and with people that have not passed any driving tests in the UK. So dangerous and children are so precious to parents no matter what their age.

Michael Parnham
11th January 2014, 12:00
Although :iagree: in principle, I imagine (or, at least, would hope) the reason no one bats an eyelid, is because it's generally recognised that today's main roads are, for the most part, unsafe for cyclists - due, of course, to the sheer volume of motorised traffic using them.

Inevitably, from time to time, :icon_rolleyes: you do come across reckless, idiot cyclists who are, at best, an inconvenience - and at worst the cause of serious [or even fatal] injury - to pedestrians walking on pavements and footpaths but ... :anerikke: ... usually the dangers are relatively minimal compared, for instance, to road accidents.

I've noticed on the news recently that there have been a number of reports of the highest number cyclists killed in the city of London in the past year. Very sad that this should happen at all Arthur! :NoNo:

grahamw48
11th January 2014, 13:06
They really need to make more of an effort to enable cyclists to be TOTALLY separated from motor vhicles.

You can't knock something that is healthy, pollution free, and efficient...especially in a country full of fat :censored:s.

They'd rather invest tens of billions in a rail line that saves what, 20 mins off a 200 mile journey, for a very limited number of people ? If they built a lot of all-freight lines and got rid of some of the huge amount of trucks from our roads...fine.

Ako Si Jamie
20th January 2014, 21:37
Here's my nomination for imbecile for the month of January.

Saw a cyclist with no lights and dark clothing riding around a busy roundabout in the dark this morning. Considering the roundabout is part of the inner ring road in Birmingham with three lanes of cars moving rapidly out from each of the four exits on a regular basis, this is sheer ludacrisy at its finest.

I wouldn't even attempt this stunt at this roundabout in daylight. :doh

grahamw48
21st January 2014, 03:19
Sounds like the Philippines. LOL

gWaPito
21st January 2014, 03:34
:yeahthat: tragic tale of what happened to the friend of yours just doesn't bear thinking about, Michael ... yet the awful memory will haunt the poor soul (through no fault of his) - and the parents of the young lad who was killed - for the rest of their lives. :omg:!

Not to mention the poor truck driver who lost his means of earning a living for 3 years..He cld of lost his house in that time..All through minding his own business, getting on with his work. Makes me sick :cwm23: