love8888
18th December 2005, 22:41
In case of problem (s) call this following Numbers
DOTC Action center ----------------------- 7890
Trafic Police--------------------------------- 899-9007
MAPSA--------------------------------------- 8193270-71
Blk. 6 Police--------------------------------- 815-26471/ 818-1732
LRFTB HOTLINE----------------------------- 0921 448 7777

I am always got their plate number and the time,date, place we ride and where to get off for short complete detail that I can give to the authorities then I remember I emailed all of them (taxi driver that abused) one time to Tulpo's brother and they posted it in a newspaper.

Or email to Mel Tiangco and Mike Enriquez c/o 24oras@gmanet.com and there wesite is http://www.igma.tv/index.php

Always ride a taxi that has a meter and if they don't have you can direct report them and I'm sure the more they will action if almost foriegner will report them as it's reallly a shamefull to my country and even those people who work at the airport and pretend that they will help you to get a taxi but then they will asked tip.

Airport Taxi going to Makati Palace hotel they will charge you
P 452.00 with a receipt and taxi driver will ask a tip if bad so I will give the change for tip :( and if you will try to get out of the air port you will only pay it
P 125.00 by a meter and it's not heavy traffic. Makati Palce hotel to Glorietta is only P37.00 pesos by meter too and if you give P50.00 pesos they will keep the change :angry:

Always check and be aware the meter as it show how much you just gonna paid for.

Pauldo
19th December 2005, 01:27
Originally posted by love8888@Dec 18 2005, 10:41 PM
In case of problem (s) call this following Numbers
DOTC Action center ----------------------- 7890
Trafic Police--------------------------------- 899-9007
MAPSA--------------------------------------- 8193270-71
Blk. 6 Police--------------------------------- 815-26471/ 818-1732
LRFTB HOTLINE----------------------------- 0921 448 7777
I am always got their plate number and the time,date, place we ride and where to get off for short complete detail that I can give to the authorities then I remember I emailed all of them (taxi driver that abused) one time to Tulpo's brother and they posted it in a newspaper.
Or email to Mel Tiangco and Mike Enriquez c/o 24oras@gmanet.com and there wesite is http://www.igma.tv/index.php
Always ride a taxi that has a meter and if they don't have you can direct report them and I'm sure the more they will action if almost foriegner will report them as it's reallly a shamefull to my country and even those people who work at the airport and pretend that they will help you to get a taxi but then they will asked tip.

Airport Taxi going to Makati Palace hotel they will charge you
P 452.00 with a receipt and taxi driver will ask a tip if bad so I will give the change for tip :( and if you will try to get out of the air port you will only pay it
P 125.00 by a meter and it's not heavy traffic. Makati Palce hotel to Glorietta is only P37.00 pesos by meter too and if you give P50.00 pesos they will keep the change :angry:

Always check and be aware the meter as it show how much you just gonna paid for.

Quoted post

Good info, but ten years living in the PI and I don't recall ever getting ripped off by a taxi, once I'd mastered the fact that everybody in the PI is after a fast buck, and taxi drivers are no different. Sort out the fare in advance, know where you are going, take no $hit.

Don't expect to jump into a cab, tell him where to go, have the meter come on automatically and then get a nice neat bill and receipt waiting for you when you glide up at your destination.

Welcome to the Philippines.
Do not expect too much, thou shalt not be disappointed. :D :rolleyes:

Admin
19th December 2005, 09:43
Had to get a taxi from our village the other week to the garage 3 miles away, equivalant to 500pesos, and that was with the meter on :) Welsh buggers :lol:

Pauldo
21st December 2005, 09:20
Originally posted by admin@Dec 19 2005, 09:43 AM
Had to get a taxi from our village the other week to the garage 3 miles away, equivalant to 500pesos, and that was with the meter on :) Welsh buggers :lol:

Quoted post

So cheap???

I think flagfall in my town is £2.80 for the first 3 feet, then £50 per mile, or something like that :D

Admin
21st December 2005, 09:58
All downhill from where I live, the bugger didn't even have to turn the engine on :lol: .......and the wife pushed us back home :unsure:

love8888
25th December 2005, 23:18
Originally posted by Pauldo@Dec 21 2005, 08:20 AM
So cheap???

I think flagfall in my town is £2.80 for the first 3 feet, then £50 per mile, or something like that :D

Quoted post

Yes it's very true saying so cheap but if we pay them much more the more they will abuse the others, well it's nice to give tip or extra but I did it only if they are quite and not annoying me to ask a tip. Honestly drivers that asking tip to me the more I am not giving.I am very initiative person in everything.

And I have noticed that the older the taxi drivers the they ask more money than the younger one BUT NOT ALL ok

Pauldo
26th December 2005, 12:27
Originally posted by love8888@Dec 25 2005, 11:18 PM
Yes it's very true saying so cheap but if we pay them much more the more they will abuse the others, well it's nice to give tip or extra but I did it only if they are quite and not annoying me to ask a tip. Honestly drivers that asking tip to me the more I am not giving.I am very initiative person in everything.
And I have notived that the older the taxi drivers the they ask more money than the younger one BUT NOT ALL ok

Quoted post

At £50 a mile I don't actually give them a tip :rolleyes:

love8888
30th December 2005, 14:26
Originally posted by Pauldo@Dec 26 2005, 11:27 AM
At £50 a mile I don't actually give them a tip :rolleyes:

Quoted post

I remember one time we wanted to ride a taxi going to Glorietta and we're not yet get into his car he said a charge of P 100.00 pesos :angry: he think I don't know how much the real charge going there.

Every time we landed to Philippine Airport I always told to my hubby Her we go again taxi driver's ruin me everyday... then I whisper to my hubby honey I wish I could wrap you ... :( :( so nobody knows you are a foriegner once they know you had with your foriegner husband they tripple the charge you.

Well, we met a very nice taxi driver he did a very good service to us one time no asking tip have a meter on his car very quite and so I hired him in everywhere we go out. and when we had our departure day his been there very early than the time we told him and the charge is a lot cheaper than the taxi that the hotel will give to you so what we did we game him same amount of what the usual hotle charge us and I said to him keep up the good work, and please do the same service in to other foriegner the same way you did to us.

Pauldo
30th December 2005, 22:58
Originally posted by love8888@Dec 30 2005, 02:26 PM
I remember one time we wanted to ride a taxi going to Glorietta and we're not yet get into his car he said a charge of P 100.00 pesos :angry: he think I don't know how much the real charge going there.
Every time we landed to Philippine Airport I always told to my hubby Her we go again taxi driver's ruin me everyday... then I whisper to my hubby honey I wish I could wrap you ... :( :( so nobody knows you are a foriegner once they know you had with your foriegner husband they tripple the charge you.
Well, we met a very nice taxi driver he did a very good service to us one time no asking tip have a meter on his car very quite and so I hired him in everywhere we go out. and when we had our departure day his been there very early than the time we told him and the charge is a lot cheaper than the taxi that the hotel will give to you so what we did we game him same amount of what the usual hotle charge us and I said to him keep up the good work, and please do the same service in to other foriegner the same way you did to us.

Quoted post

At the airport I simply go to the Airport taxi stand and get one, rather than do battle with the scammers that you can grab near the arrivals area.

I lived there for nearly ten years and I was paying less at the end than I was when I first went, due to the $/Peso exchange rate changing but the taxi price staying the same. 1500pesos from NAIA to Angeles city.

I shall be going to Manila tomorrow so we'll see if it has changed much since last year.

dave65
17th January 2006, 12:16
Hi everyone
im new to this forum but its lucky i found you all as i am just about to go over to the phillippines to meet up with my young lady :wub:
when i arrive in Manila i am going to have to transfer to the terminal to fly to Leyte this i gather means getting a taxi (i am assuming its not walkable) so how do you find a genuine taxi driver as apposed to someone just looking to rip off the tourists :unsure:
also on the return journey i will need to fly from Leyte to manila the night before to be able to get the plane home so any guidance as to where to stay for the night would be most welcome
cheers
Dave

walesrob
17th January 2006, 12:37
Originally posted by dave65@Jan 17 2006, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone
im new to this forum but its lucky i found you all as i am just about to go over to the phillippines to meet up with my young lady :wub:
when i arrive in Manila i am going to have to transfer to the terminal to fly to Leyte this i gather means getting a taxi (i am assuming its not walkable) so how do you find a genuine taxi driver as apposed to someone just looking to rip off the tourists :unsure:
also on the return journey i will need to fly from Leyte to manila the night before to be able to get the plane home so any guidance as to where to stay for the night would be most welcome
cheers
Dave

Quoted post

Hiya Dave welcome to the forum!

First of all, which airline are you travelling into Manila and which one out to Leyte? The reason I ask this is that airlines use different terminals, and it can be confusing to the first time visitor.

For example, all Philippines Airline flights, domestic and international are done at NAIA2 or Centennial terminal. Or if you fly say, Gulf Air and Cebu Pacific into Leyte, you would arrive at Terminal One, then you would transfer to the Domestic Airport nearby.

As for taxis, always pay for the fare first at the taxi booth situated outside arrivals - they are quite easy to find - exit arrivals, turn left.

As for hotels near the airport for your flight back, this one is just a few blocks away:

Bill and Lorna (http://pages.zdnet.com/AsiaBill/id2.html) if not, theres plenty to choose from in nearby Makati, about 20-25 minutes by taxi.

Hope this helps - post back if you need any further info. :)

Admin
17th January 2006, 13:06
The thing about the taxi drivers, is that although they rip you off if you let them, putting it into perspective we are only talking about 50p!

dave65
17th January 2006, 14:05
Wow replys already thanks guys
ok i am flying klm to Manila and then pal from Manila to Tacloban
as i understand it from Pete i will need to transfer to another terminal a couple of miles away. usually i would walk that sort of distance but i am not sure if thats a safe thing to do there, so taxi seems a good idea
i am given to understand that for tourists there can be a bit of a security problem but have little information to know how cautious one needs to be
i have found this before in eastern europe but was able to use some sense and avoid problems
anyway thanks for your help
Dave

walesrob
17th January 2006, 14:24
Originally posted by dave65@Jan 17 2006, 01:05 PM
Wow replys already thanks guys
ok i am flying klm to Manila and then pal from Manila to Tacloban
as i understand it from Pete i will need to transfer to another terminal a couple of miles away. usually i would walk that sort of distance but i am not sure if thats a safe thing to do there, so taxi seems a good idea
i am given to understand that for tourists there can be a bit of a security problem but have little information to know how cautious one needs to be
i have found this before in eastern europe but was able to use some sense and avoid problems
anyway thanks for your help
Dave

Quoted post

Dave,

On arrival at Manila, you will need to get a taxi to the Centennial/PAL terminal.

Don't even think about walking to Centennial terminal, its not worth the risk even though its very close - get a taxi as per my previous post, wont cost you much.

I have flown PAL to Tacloban quite a few times, always nice to get away from the chaos of Manila!

With regards to security, use common sense, don't make it obvious you are a tourist, keep expensive jewellery out of sight, keep that wallet somewhere safe. I would say for sure that Tacloban is a very safe area (safer than Manila) and the people are very helpful and friendly, you'll have nothing to worry about. Where are you staying?

Admin
17th January 2006, 15:02
Originally posted by dave65@Jan 17 2006, 01:05 PM
Wow replys already thanks guys.....
Dave

Quoted post

Those of us who live in Wales have nothing better to do than watch for new posts or herd sheep..... :Cuckoo: :cwm3: :action-smiley-075: :D

dave65
18th January 2006, 12:06
ok a taxi it is then
i planned to stay at the asia star in tacloban unless one of you has a better suggestion <_<
Jasmine just emailed and asked what my itinery is ...tricky since i am not sure whats there my plan was to spend as much time with her as possible, but if anyone can suggest nice places to visit in that area that would be handy
on a slightly different tack i have noticed that some of jasmines emails are more as one would expect between girl and boy friend and others are as if she is talking to a penpal,
the english equivilant that comes to mind is the &#39;if you dont know whats wrong, im not going to tell you&#39; (i had rather a lot of that from my ex years ago so maybe a bit overly aware of that happening again)
i guess dealing with such a different culture i am concerned about doing something quite innocently and causing offence in some way. Are girls there a bit more reserved than here (almost victorian in some attiudes) not that thats a bad thing just handy to know so one can adjust the way one does things

gm47
18th January 2006, 12:22
I&#39;ve been to Tacloban 3 times last year but don&#39;t know the Asai star, I stayed in Alejandros hotel last time which is ok. Rob is the expert on Layte on the site I&#39;m sure he will respond with some suggestions on where to stay and visit.

If your budget can go to it and you like a bit of luxuary then I would reccomend one of the villas at the Layte Park although I&#39;ve heard from Rob that the normal rooms are pretty bad.

Enjoy your trip

walesrob
18th January 2006, 13:11
Originally posted by dave65@Jan 18 2006, 11:06 AM
ok a taxi it is then
i planned to stay at the asia star in tacloban unless one of you has a better suggestion <_<
Jasmine just emailed and asked what my itinery is ...tricky since i am not sure whats there my plan was to spend as much time with her as possible, but if anyone can suggest nice places to visit in that area that would be handy
on a slightly different tack i have noticed that some of jasmines emails are more as one would expect between girl and boy friend and others are as if she is talking to a penpal,
the english equivilant that comes to mind is the &#39;if you dont know whats wrong, im not going to tell you&#39; (i had rather a lot of that from my ex years ago so maybe a bit overly aware of that happening again)
i guess dealing with such a different culture i am concerned about doing something quite innocently and causing offence in some way. Are girls there a bit more reserved than here (almost victorian in some attiudes) not that thats a bad thing just handy to know so one can adjust the way one does things

Quoted post

We&#39;ve not stayed at Asia Stars Hotel, but it looks quite decent and I&#39;ve heard some good reviews of the place.

OK, nearby attractions to Tacloban? St Nino Shrine is a must. Its a monument to the obscene excesses of the Marcos years, I think thats the way to describe it. Has to be seen to believed.
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/5534/santonino8is.th.jpg (http://img462.imageshack.us/my.php?image=santonino8is.jpg)

This part of Leyte is famous for the fierce fighting during WW2, and in the foyer of Alejandros Hotel in P. Paterno Street, you&#39;ll find an exhibition of photographs and various other exhibits from the war.
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8471/hotel8mn.th.jpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hotel8mn.jpg)

Staying with WW2, take a jeepney to Pawing Palo, then get a tricycle to the Macarthur memorial.
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/5823/p52500389wl.th.jpg (http://img462.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p52500389wl.jpg)

Another WW2 memorial can be found at Dulag at Hill 120, where you will see the actual landing site where Macarthur returned to retake the Philippines.
http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/5025/dulag9ki.th.jpg (http://img490.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dulag9ki.jpg)

Also check out the Sohoton Caves in Marabut, again a short jeepney ride from Tacloban.
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1410/hkphiloctnov050144ut.th.jpg (http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hkphiloctnov050144ut.jpg)

Theres also San Juanico Bridge (Marcos built it himself with his own hands the locals will tell you :unsure: )
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1345/bridge8vt.th.jpg (http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bridge8vt.jpg)

Cavarly Hill, where you get a lovely view of Tacloban and the San Juanico straits.
http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/5922/bridge2pi.th.jpg (http://img459.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bridge2pi.jpg)

Also take a look at the official Tacloban City website:

City of Tacloban - Place of interest (http://tacloban.8m.com/places.html)

Hope this helps&#33;

dave65
18th January 2006, 15:10
thats great guys thanks very much

Eljohno
18th January 2006, 18:37
Originally posted by dave65@Jan 18 2006, 11:06 AM
. Are girls there a bit more reserved than here (almost victorian in some attiudes) not that thats a bad thing just handy to know so one can adjust the way one does things

Quoted post

Hi,
in my short experience filipino girls can be easily offended at times, so it is always good to be straight with your girl and ask.

My wife took a little time to understand my irish humour. It just takes time when two people come from two different cultures.

Enjoy your trip, i have only been to Manila once but got straight on a ferry to Ozamiz. If you are ever heading as far south as Cebu let me know and i will recommend some places.

John

Admin
18th January 2006, 19:24
Blimey Rob, you must have plenty of bandwidth, your pics are over 100,000 bytes :yikes: :yikes:

deepete
18th January 2006, 20:19
Originally posted by Eljohno@Jan 18 2006, 06:37 PM

My wife took a little time to understand my irish humour.

It`s not just yours, I still have to explain my jokes, I think they are o.k.on slapstick humour, bang your head and they roll about laughing.

Peter

Admin
18th January 2006, 21:06
My wife tells me to stop swearing, then tells me to :furious3: :laugher:

walesrob
18th January 2006, 21:24
Originally posted by admin@Jan 18 2006, 06:24 PM
Blimey Rob, you must have plenty of bandwidth, your pics are over 100,000 bytes :yikes: :yikes:

Quoted post

hehe, I&#39;ll get them "imaged shacked" later, ok boss :blink: :Hellooo: :Wave:

Admin
19th January 2006, 09:18
You do know some people are still on dial-up....although God knows why, our niece pays over £20 a month in phone bills for dial-up, when she can get 2MB for £15&#33;&#33;&#33; :Erm:

JustSomeGuy
20th January 2006, 11:21
When i comes to taxis, I&#39;ve found standing back (out of sight) and letting my lady bargin helps a lot, often (as we go just outside manilla) it will be meter + 50 or 100. sometimes a flat rate of 300... If i&#39;m within sight it will be hard to find one for less than meter + 400... but of course it just takes a few goes either way.

You can ask one of the touts (teenagers seem to be best) to find you a taxi that will charge meter + 50 say, give the tout 5 or 10 php for the trouble after you have checked with the driver... if he says no then just get out and the tout will find another...just tell him where you are going and how much you will pay.

On the subject of people asking for money, beggers... hmmm this is the hardest thing for me, (having a soft heart) I try not to give anything but if approched at say a petrol station when filling up, i get them to clean the lights, side windows or some other small task then give them 1 or 2 php.
(rag must be old otherwise they escape with it instead) or food if i have it.

Dave,