PDA

View Full Version : Travel insurance for Davao

Lancashirelad
5th January 2014, 03:13
Hello,

My wife and I are travelling back to Davao in May, as Mindanao is still on the FCO essential travel only list does anyone know of reasonable price travel and medical insurance that we could take out! as I understand most companies wont insure or honour insurance to FCO listed locations?

Leo
5th January 2014, 10:00
hello I had Saga travel insurance when I went to Davao last year have booked to go in May this year have not sorted insurance out yet

Michael Parnham
5th January 2014, 12:29
hello I had Saga travel insurance when I went to Davao last year have booked to go in May this year have not sorted insurance out yet

Nice to hear the mention of Saga, top company but not cheap! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
5th January 2014, 16:02
Beware of relying on any claims against insurance whenever you venture into those areas where FCO travel advisory uses the words 'Advise against'

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/52b0510040f0b63539000007/110707_Philippines_jpeg.jpg

Insurance company's are not known for compassionate discretion :NoNo:

purple
5th January 2014, 16:16
I don't understand why Davao is on FCO list when Davao city is safest city in whole Philippines. You can walk out and about with your mobile phone without having the fear of someone might snatch it off you. Unless of course you go to the outskirts like Cotabato...

Perhaps I'm behind on up to date news. Though I still talk to my goods friends there and they reckon still the safest place to be.

Terpe
5th January 2014, 16:19
Not all insurance company's are the same.

Whenever FCO has 'against travel' advisory get cover verified in writing.
Especially get their position on 'essential travel'. They may offer cover with some supplement.

Personally I can't see that either business or holiday would be considered essential.

Again personally, I would never consider going to the Philippines without insurance cover. Period
One of my mantras is 'minimise risk'.

This is a forum. NEVER blindly follow any opinions expressed here without securing your own validation.

gWaPito
5th January 2014, 17:23
No problems with 'Direct line'
I put a claim in to them when I went to Davao in 2006.
I got unlimited worldwide cover as a extra with my building and contents cover.

They aren't the cheapest, I grant you but, like their car insurance, they've always paid up :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
5th January 2014, 17:29
I don't understand why Davao is on FCO list when Davao city is safest city in whole Philippines. You can walk out and about with your mobile phone without having the fear of someone might snatch it off you. Unless of course you go to the outskirts like Cotabato...

Perhaps I'm behind on up to date news. Though I still talk to my goods friends there and they reckon still the safest place to be.
I must admit. .I felt safer walking the streets of downtown Davao than I ever did in Mabini and Las Pinas.

Terpe
5th January 2014, 18:02
No problems with 'Direct line'
I put a claim in to them when I went to Davao in 2006.
I got unlimited worldwide cover as a extra with my building and contents cover.

They aren't the cheapest, I grant you but, like their car insurance, they've always paid up :xxgrinning--00xx3:

What was the official FCO travel advisory at the time you made your claim ?
I've no idea when you travelled, but certainly around October 2006 there were a significant number of bombings causing the FCO to change their advisory to state a formal warning against all travel to the island.

Travellers should check with insurers period.

gWaPito
5th January 2014, 19:28
What was the official FCO travel advisory at the time you made your claim ?
I've no idea when you travelled, but certainly around October 2006 there were a significant number of bombings causing the FCO to change their advisory to state a formal warning against all travel to the island.

Travellers should check with insurers period.

Same as now. .don't go.

I did check for clauses in my insurance. I found none. No mention of FCO advisory either.
I wasn't going to call them up and give them the opportunity to say no.

I went by what was stated in the T&Cs....that is after all said and done what the insurance is based on.

Terpe
5th January 2014, 20:08
......I went by what was stated in the T&Cs....that is after all said and done what the insurance is based on.

Totally agree.

Here's what Direct Line T&C's state:-

Under the terms and conditions of all Direct Line Travel Insurance policies, there are some countries that are excluded – generally those destinations to which travel is advised against by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).

purple
5th January 2014, 20:19
Regardless where you travel though, it is important to get insurance.

Imagine how much it will cost one to get airlifted :Erm:

My husband gets them yearly for us all. Pays about less than £150. I will check with him where he gets it.

Try moneysavingexpert ... we normally get things including holidays, from food shopping to my free make ups and surveys. It does help in terms of getting cashbacks. I for one gets about £500 cashbacks annually, and my husband as well. You know, every little helps.

jonnijon
5th January 2014, 23:34
Rather walk round Davao and Tagum than London.

gWaPito
5th January 2014, 23:47
Rather walk round Davao and Tagum than London.

I agree John :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
5th January 2014, 23:52
Totally agree.

Here's what Direct Line T&C's state:-

''Under the terms and conditions of all Direct Line Travel Insurance policies, there are some countries that are excluded – generally those destinations to which travel is advised against by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).''

I didnt see that in my T&Cs when I went in April 2006 :Erm:
Either way, they stumped up.....Theft from my Hotel room.