PDA

View Full Version : Wife and Stepson - Visit to Southern Ireland

LastViking
29th December 2013, 19:56
Hi, I am looking for help on a visit to Southern Ireland. My wife and stepson have indefinite leave to remain in the UK and I want to take them to visit my sister in Co Donegal.

I understand that as my wife is a non-EEA citizen married to a British Citizen she needs a visa to enter Ireland but that the visa is free. What I cannot find is why it is free.

Terpe
29th December 2013, 20:52
Holders of a Philippine passport will need to apply for a visa.
Some applicants don’t need to pay any fee for their visa. These include non-EEA family members of EEA citizens.
You'll need to have proof of the family member relationship with the application and that you'll be travelling together.

The reason for free issue is down to Irelands interpretation of EU Freedom of Movement (http://eumovement.wordpress.com/eu-countries/info-ireland/).

Take a look at the Irish legal Version here (http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/SI656of2006.pdf/Files/SI656of2006.pdf) if you enjoy reading such EU gobbledygook.

Also here at the Irish guidelines for issuing visas to family members of EU citizens (http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27885818/ireland/PET_0007-05_2.pdf)

(Just out of interest the UK equivalent is called the Family Permit)

EU Freedom of Movement allows EU citizens to freely travel between other EU member countries together with their 'Family Members'

Please do be aware that all citizens of non-EU countries, whether they require a visa or not, will be subjected to immigration 'control' at all entry points of Ireland.
Ireland is not part of the Schengen agreement and is also a separate country to the United Kingdom and so a separate visa is required.

Enjoy the reading

mike1
29th December 2013, 21:02
Yeah its free because its for the spouse and family member of a british citizen ,:Erm:I guess. I would not be to bothered to find out why its free,just get it and be thankful as they dont give much for free :xxgrinning--00xx3:

LastViking
30th December 2013, 12:18
Thanks Terpe and Mike1 for your replies. I have read through the information provided by Terpes and I think I understand the principles but it is certainly not as clearly laid out in the Embassy website. I think I will apply for the visas by going down to the visa office in London so I can explain why I haven't included any fee. We hope to travel on 15th February.

I do have another question that you might be able to help with.

My wife's son is illegitimate and there is no father's name mentioned on the Philippine birth certificate that we are supplying with his visa application. I am assuming therefore that the requirement to have the father's approval to his travel is not needed? Again the notes I could find on the website all say that we need the permission of both biological parents or a court order giving sole custody to his mother. This is not possible in these circumstances.

LV

mike1
30th December 2013, 21:43
Thanks Terpe and Mike1 for your replies. I have read through the information provided by Terpes and I think I understand the principles but it is certainly not as clearly laid out in the Embassy website. I think I will apply for the visas by going down to the visa office in London so I can explain why I haven't included any fee. We hope to travel on 15th February.

I do have another question that you might be able to help with.

My wife's son is illegitimate and there is no father's name mentioned on the Philippine birth certificate that we are supplying with his visa application. I am assuming therefore, that the requirement to have the father's approval to his travel is not needed? Again the notes I could find on the website all say that we need the permission of both biological parents or a court order giving sole custody to his mother. This is not possible in these circumstances.

LV

pm me

Terpe
30th December 2013, 21:49
pm me

This is an open forum where we all freely share whatever help and support we can.

Is there a special reason why you can only help by Private Message ?

mike1
1st January 2014, 01:32
This is an open forum where we all freely share whatever help and support we can.

Is there a special reason why you can only help by Private Message ?

yeah, I just had an idea how they can get to Donegal visa free, not rocket science but I do not wish to post it on a public forum :smile:

Iani
1st January 2014, 10:19
I have friends there, I'm sure I know what you're thinking - it crossed my mind immediately too, however it's all great until for one of those once in a blue moon events you're stopped by the police and they actually ask for identification.

Yes it just never happens unless you commit a crime, but..........imagine if it did. Worth the risk?

Terpe
1st January 2014, 15:32
I have friends there, I'm sure I know what you're thinking - it crossed my mind immediately too, however it's all great until for one of those once in a blue moon events you're stopped by the police and they actually ask for identification.
Yes it just never happens unless you commit a crime, but..........imagine if it did. Worth the risk?

Totally agree.

Cannot for the life of me think of reasons not to secure the needed visa.

It's free.

It's a formality. (Can't really be refused under EU regs.)

ynwa
2nd May 2014, 14:32
Hi Last Viking

Did you manage to get a visa for your wife and stepson? If yes, I would like to know some feedback as we are planning to go in September. Thank you.

Hi, I am looking for help on a visit to Southern Ireland. My wife and stepson have indefinite leave to remain in the UK and I want to take them to visit my sister in Co Donegal.

I understand that as my wife is a non-EEA citizen married to a British Citizen she needs a visa to enter Ireland but that the visa is free. What I cannot find is why it is free.

Terpe
2nd May 2014, 20:19
Hi Last Viking

Did you manage to get a visa for your wife and stepson? If yes, I would like to know some feedback as we are planning to go in September. Thank you.

You should have absolutely no problems at all in securing a visa for Ireland.

Please look here (http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Short%20Stay%20Visit%20(Family%20or%20Tourist)#Accompany_/_join_EU_citizen_under_Directive_2004/38/EC_on_the_right_of_citizens_of_the_Union_and_their_family_member
) for full details on how to apply for a visa. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ynwa
3rd May 2014, 18:24
Thank you Terpe. I will apply near the time.

You should have absolutely no problems at all in securing a visa for Ireland.

Please look here (http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Short%20Stay%20Visit%20(Family%20or%20Tourist)#Accompany_/_join_EU_citizen_under_Directive_2004/38/EC_on_the_right_of_citizens_of_the_Union_and_their_family_member
) for full details on how to apply for a visa. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

LastViking
5th May 2014, 11:45
Hi Last Viking

Hi in the end we could not go because I had further health issues. We will have to try again later - although I did discover that, as a British citizen, I should be able to travel under European freedom of movement rules and my wife and her dependent are entitled to travel with me or to join me in another EU country. Therefore, technically no visa should be required. Unfortunately, it appears that not all Irish immigration officers are aware of or prepared to acknowledge the rule.

http://www.solvitireland.ie/Living-and-working-in-the-EU/ Is a useful link. as is http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/citizenship/docs/guide_free_movement_low.pdf I was recommended to take the legislation with me to proof the entitlement in case it was challenged. This is at http://eumovement.wordpress.com/directive-200438ec/

Arthur Little
5th May 2014, 13:00
Hi in the end we could not go because I had further health issues. We will have to try again later - although I did discover that, as a British citizen, I should be able to travel under European freedom of movement rules and my wife and her dependent are entitled to travel with me or to join me in another EU country. Therefore, technically no visa should be required.

So you would think ... ! :doh

Rightly (or wrongly - depending upon one's viewpoint!) the British Government (under John Major at the time) declined to sign the Treaty of Maastricht - accepting the Euro as the standard mode of currency and allowing :Britain: to open up its Borders to other EU countries - hence the need for our non European partners having to apply for a separate visa, since the ROI is not part of the Schengen Agreement as Terpe has explained in #2.

:yeahthat:'s how I understand it, anyway.

But ... :anerikke: ... at least it's FREE of charge to the wives (and/or husbands) of British nationals - if a bit of a palaverto arrange! :biggrin:

Hopefully, your health has improved since your original inquiry. :xxgrinning--00xx3: