PDA

View Full Version : Boxing

sentinent
9th December 2013, 10:19
What a pity Darren Barker came up against a really in-form Felix Sturm. The nature of the defeat casts a doubt over Darren's pugilistic future. A really nice guy. I wish him well.

les_taxi
9th December 2013, 10:26
I love boxing but so miss the days of Ali, Foreman, Haggler, Sugar Ray etc

DaveyWallis
9th December 2013, 19:37
I'm a big fan of boxing, probably my number one sport.

Actually I believe that we're actually on a very good era of boxing with some really good boxers around. The heavyweight division is poor but the Klitchko brothers are very good at what they do and would have done well in the 'golden era' of Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Holmes etc. The problem is the lack of quality competition for them.

We are lucky enough to have two of the best boxers of all time currently, and then there's Manny too...

Some exceptional boxers from Russia making their mark (in more than one way).

I do feel sorry for Darren Barker and hope that he's able to resume his career although I have my doubts. I cannot understand why, as the belt holder, he agreed to fight in Germany. It's always been a difficult place to get a result in. The old adage - you have to knock out the German boxer just to get a draw.

2014 looks interesting with Khan getting his shot at Mayweather. George Groves should win a world title as should Carl Frampton with Kell Brook finally getting a shot at a belt.

sentinent
9th December 2013, 20:04
Darren Barker agreed to fight Sturm in Germany for one reason only - money. He was offered far more money to defend his title in Sturm's backyard. Added to that there was a "return clause" in the contract to protect him should he become the victim of a home-town decision. In the event, the judges were not needed.