PDA

View Full Version : What to do after I arrive in the UK?

Julie-Tom
26th November 2013, 13:37
:Wave: Hello everyone, we already booked my ticket and will arrive in London just in time for Christmas.

After the sightseeing and holidays are over, what is needing to be done on my side?

Should I register at any Local Government office? What ID should I be applying? Healthcare ID, Etc...

Should we register our marriage certificate in the UK?

What are the things that need to be done?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to be prepared in advance.

I was searching the UKBA website and it seems I can't find the right links. :Wave:

Thank you,
Julie

Terpe
26th November 2013, 15:53
I'll start the discussion for you. Hopefully others who have journeyed the same path will also add their experience.

Register with your local doctor/dentist
Follow these links:-
How do I register with a GP? (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1095.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=158)
How to find an NHS dentist? (http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/find-an-NHS-dentist.aspx)

Add your name to your husband's Council Tax Bill (this will provide address ID to open bank account, applying for credt, applying for FLR etc.)

Add your name to your husband's utility bills (this will provide address ID to open bank account, applying for credt, applying for FLR etc.)

If eligible then apply for a National Insurance Number
Follow this link called Get a National Insurance number (https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number)

Get a bank account (probably only a 'basic' bank account as you will have no credit history)

Consider studying and passing the new Life in UK Test (you need to pass this before applying for ILR). It's always easier to study and pass before while you have time free before you start working.

A pretty good general website called Just arrived in UK (http://www.myukinfo.com/en/just-arrived-in-the-uk)
If look to the very top LH of the webpage you notice the "Select Language" drop down menu. If you click on that link you'll also see you can select different languages including Filipino

The very best website for all issues connected with the UK Government Departments etc is here called GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/)
You'll find a complete range of information and services. Very useful.

You'll need to be familiar with the Provision of UK Health services within the NHS. Their website is here called NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx)

Here's another useful website called Just Landed (http://www.justlanded.com/english/UK)

ConfusedMe
29th November 2013, 00:18
:Wave: Hello everyone, we already booked my ticket and will arrive in London just in time for Christmas.

After the sightseeing and holidays are over, what is needing to be done on my side?

Should I register at any Local Government office? What ID should I be applying? Healthcare ID, Etc...

Should we register our marriage certificate in the UK?

What are the things that need to be done?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to be prepared in advance.

I was searching the UKBA website and it seems I can't find the right links. :Wave:

Thank you,
Julie

Sounds like you are having the best time of your life Julie. Welcome to England!

Try and visit your local GP, and register for NHS

If you want to start looking for work, you can apply for a National Insurance Number. Just call Jobcentre plus and they will tell you the requirements you need to submit, and book you for an appointment/interview

Maybe open a bank account.

You can also start studying for Life in the UK Test (before they do some changes again)

Regards,

Donah :smile::Hellooo:

BazJaz
1st December 2013, 19:37
Provisional driving licence is also a good form of ID (costs £50 i think) I thought though that you had to get your FLR visa extension first before you can apply for National Insurance number, not sure what visa you will arrive on but it needs to allow you to work for them to allow you to get a national insurance number (Fiancee visa does not allow work) FLR visa does (thats what we did in our situation- arrived on fiancee visa, got married, then applied FLR visa, then got NI Number, and driving license - just helps with ID with address on it, then added to husbands bank account as joint names, apparently if husband has good credit history adding you also gives you a good start in credit history so they told us, soon I will look into English tests and all that crazy stuff!

Jaz

Michael Parnham
1st December 2013, 19:43
I put my wife on my Bank a/c, Gas/Electric, Council Tax and House contract! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
1st December 2013, 21:25
I put my wife on my Bank a/c, Gas/Electric, Council Tax and House contract! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I did all that too Michael, but I still have to pay all them bills, I was hoping Ems would take some off me :Erm:

Michael Parnham
2nd December 2013, 18:54
I did all that too Michael, but I still have to pay all them bills, I was hoping Ems would take some off me :Erm:

:laugher::laugher::laugher: Maritess is paying ours!

Dedworth
2nd December 2013, 18:56
Buy the rice cooker in Argos :biggrin:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9367809.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:10846906025|tsid:41370|cid:147340985|lid:48710629385|nw:g|crid:38142135185|rnd:1836587487843539962|dvc:c|adp:1o1

highlander01
3rd December 2013, 00:47
You're arriving at the coldest time of the year so perhaps some thermal underwear might be a useful purchase - Marks & Spencer have a useful range! Don't worry - it does get (slightly) warmer.

Michael Parnham
3rd December 2013, 13:09
Yes appropriate clothing is a must, my wife has never felt cold yet and this will be her second winter, so the right clothes are priority! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
3rd December 2013, 14:14
You're arriving at the coldest time of the year so perhaps some thermal underwear might be a useful purchase - Marks & Spencers have a useful range!

:iagree: ... bearing in mind that *M & S also happened to be the "store of preference" for no lesser a personage :biggrin: than our own late, lamented 'Iron Lady' herself, who was reputed to have purchased her knickers *therefrom! :wink:

Julie-Tom
31st December 2013, 18:03
Thank you for all your responses, really useful. Will browse the links as soon as the holidays are over. Weather is a challenge but hopefully I will get used to it in no time.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!

FilipinaDiver
8th August 2014, 18:43
I got my spouse visa yesterday after waiting for 30 days. My CFO seminar is on Monday and I will be flying on the 15th. What do I do when I get to the UK? I have read somewhere but I couldn't find it anymore that I will be needing to wait for an ID so I could work. Is this right? Can you please guide me on what are the things I need to do and apply when I get to the UK? Thank you so much!

FilipinaDiver
8th August 2014, 18:50
Also, how do I obtain a driver's license? I have a Philippine driver's license issued by LTO and I've been driving for 3 years now. Thank you!

Terpe
8th August 2014, 19:16
Newly arrived to UK see this this thread:-

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/50005-What-to-do-after-I-arrive-in-the-UK?highlight=Arriving+to+uk

Terpe
8th August 2014, 19:38
For driving licence info check out this UK Gov webpage:-

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y

At some point within 12 months of arrival you'll need to undertake the various parts of the driving test.

Many here have done that and will be happy to provide the nitty gritty on that adventure :wink:

FilipinaDiver
8th August 2014, 19:42
Hello, thank you all for the informative advice! I have another query though, can I use my Philippines' issued non-professional driver's license in the UK? Or do I have to get an international license? I have been driving in Philippines for more than 5 years now. Thank you!!!

Michael Parnham
8th August 2014, 20:17
I think you're only allowed six months. With respect, I wouldn't recommend you drive in the UK until you have had driving lessons here! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

FilipinaDiver
8th August 2014, 20:23
Thanks Terpe for this info! It doesn't say there though that I don't need an international driving license. I have been long considered that IDP a waste of money. Do I really need this? Or shall I just use that money instead to buy myself a few months Filipino hair conditioner? Haha!! Do you personally know someone who just used her LTO license in driving a car in the UK? Thanks!!

Dedworth
8th August 2014, 20:34
Hello, thank you all for the informative advice! I have another query though, can I use my Philippines' issued non-professional driver's license in the UK? Or do I have to get an international license? I have been driving in Philippines for more than 5 years now. Thank you!!!

Use this tool to see if you can drive in Great Britain with your non-GB driving licence.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

highlander01
8th August 2014, 23:13
Just a tip - unlike in the Phil's, sounding your horn every 10 seconds isn't normal practice in the UK. :smile:

Michael Parnham
9th August 2014, 05:44
Just a tip - unlike in the Phil's, sounding your horn every 10 seconds isn't normal practice in the UK. :smile:

Funny you mention that, I haven't used my car horn for many years, never had any need to! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
9th August 2014, 09:39
As a means of communication the car horn sends different messages in different countries and cultures.

Best used very wisely in UK :yikes:

fred
9th August 2014, 15:15
I was a passenger once in a car with a New to England Filipino driver..
It was nerve racking enough until she approached a huge roundabout and then asked me which way to go.
I said as calm as possible.."Right at this roundabout".
So she indicated right and then turned right..Literally into oncoming traffic.
I had to reach over and steer the vehicle over to left till we were sitting on the roundabout island (facing wrong way) whilst listening to the horn fest from outside.
NIGHTMARE!

Slip
9th August 2014, 17:31
I was in car with an ex girlfriend once, we came to a roundaout and me also being a driver looked right like you do, saw a load of cars coming, so had I been driving would have stopped.... not her, foot down and kept going. Cars tooting their horns and flashing the V's, she just kept talking to me totally oblivious to the fact she almost caused a crash!
I did tell her, but she looked puzzled and said she didn't notice!

I drove everytime we went out after that...... maybe her plan?

Michael Parnham
9th August 2014, 17:32
:omg:
I was a passenger once in a car with a New to England Filipino driver..
It was nerve racking enough until she approached a huge roundabout and then asked me which way to go.
I said as calm as possible.."Right at this roundabout".
So she indicated right and then turned right..Literally into oncoming traffic.
I had to reach over and steer the vehicle over to left till we were sitting on the roundabout island (facing wrong way)whilst listening to the horn fest from outside.
NIGHTMARE!
:omg:

shie
10th August 2014, 15:30
Hello, I'm here in UK now. I just want to ask if do we need to register our marriage here in UK and how and where?? :doh

Thanks

raynaputi
10th August 2014, 15:46
We were in Wrexham a few weeks ago and we encountered a Filipino couple in their car at the stop light. They were stopped in front of us. When the light turned green, Keith and I waited for around 5 minutes and they didn't move. So Keith beeped and then the driver waved at us to go through and suddenly put on his hazard lights while at the stop light! When our car went pass by theirs, I've seen that both of them are looking something on their phone like they're just in the parking lot! :doh Unbelievable! :NoNo:

lordna
10th August 2014, 16:58
Hello, I'm here in UK now. I just want to ask if do we need to register our marriage here in UK and how and where?? :doh

Thanks

If you married in the Philippines there is no need to register unless you want to, if you married here its done!

Terpe
10th August 2014, 18:57
I got my spouse visa yesterday after waiting for 30 days. My CFO seminar is on Monday and I will be flying on the 15th. What do I do when I get to the UK? I have read somewhere but I couldn't find it anymore that I will be needing to wait for an ID so I could work. Is this right? Can you please guide me on what are the things I need to do and apply when I get to the UK? Thank you so much!

I've merged your previous thread under this posting with this existing thread to keep all posts together. Hope that's OK

Jentobeharrison
11th August 2014, 13:07
I've merged your previous thread under this posting with this existing thread to keep all posts together. Hope that's OK

Hello again,

Our wedding will be on 30th of August here in England, after that do we need to register anything?

The registry office also have the blue paper from Manchester where we gave our notice, are those the marriage certificate that they're saying? Are those the one we should submit in applying FLR (M)?

Also, about life in the UK Test, where can I review for that? Or is there any PDF reviewer that I can download?

sars_notd_virus
12th August 2014, 11:36
Hello again,

about life in the UK Test, where can I review for that?

You need to purchase the book (2013 Edition)
http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/cgp+books/cgp+books/life+in+the+uk+test+-+study+and+practice/9664800/

sars_notd_virus
12th August 2014, 11:43
Originally Posted by FilipinaDiver:

You mean National Insurance number?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

DAnn
5th February 2015, 16:57
Thanks for the links Terpe! I arrived UK in June and been wondering if there are things I needed to do, like do I have to report to the Philippines embassy? And do we need to report our marriage in the Philippines, if yes, where to or to which office? I have already registered myself to NHS, dentist is next. My name is also included in the Council Tax Bill, and also have NINo. I am actively job hunting at the moment. Although, regarding the bank account... we went to Barclays and was told that I will only be able to open account with them when I get a job. I had a job interview yesterday and was asked for my bank acct details. I said I didn't have one yet because I was told I need to have a job first then I can open acct in the bank.

DAnn
5th February 2015, 17:06
Maybe open a bank account.

You can also start studying for Life in the UK Test (before they do some changes again)

Regards,

Donah :smile::Hellooo:

Hi, can I open a bank account without a job first? Did my husband and I misunderstand what we were told at the Barclays bank, that I could open a bank account of my own only when I have a job?

And also, when you say start studying for Life in the UK test, is there a school for this? Or a book I need to buy? Thanks a lot in advance!

Arthur Little
5th February 2015, 18:31
Hi, can I open a bank account without a job first?

Yes, D'Ann ... you can, IMO. Please see my reply in #23 of your corresponding thread, 'Where to Start'. :smile:

Did my husband and I misunderstand what we were told at the Barclays bank, that I could open a bank account of my own only when I have a job?

Possibly you did, ... :anerikke: ... so it may be a good idea if you were to take a look at Trefor's subsequent response on the same thread, as different people have had varying reactions to their efforts to open independent accounts - depending upon which Bank(s) they decided to approach. :biggrin:

DAnn
5th February 2015, 18:46
Yes, D'Ann ... you can, IMO. Please see my reply in #23 of your corresponding thread, 'Where to Start'. :smile:

Yes, saw your other reply, many thanks again Arthur Little! :)