PDA

View Full Version : 15,000 Nurses in UK

Admin
20th October 2002, 16:48
15,000 FILIPINO NURSES EMPLOYED IN U.K. - BRITISH AMBASSADOR

Iloilo City, July 2, 2002 (STAR) More than 15,000 Filipino nurses are now employed in the United Kingdom (UK) due to the shortage of nursing skills in the UK, according to British Ambassador to the Philippines Paul Dimond during his press conference with local media here Friday.

In fact last year, Dimond said most of the visas issued by the British government are for nurses who are now in UK.

Despite these numbers of Oversees Filipino Workers (OFWs), particularly nurses, Dimond said the British government are accepting applicant nurses who are still willing to work in UK.

"Yes we do welcome OFWs, very particularly in the area of nursing skills. This country has a respectable training especially in the field of nursing," he said.

"We have been very happy to receive, I believe, around 15,000 Philippine nurses into our country in the last few years. That number has been growing," he said.

Dimond also said that last year, 30,000 visas have been issued by the British government to the Philippines.

"Last year, we issued nearly 30,000 visas to Filipinos willing to go to UK and the acceptance rate from the applicants was over 95%," he said.

He said if the nurses would have sure employers and are equipped with the skills and the necessary degrees, there will be no immigration constraints and a hassle-free entry of nurses.

Dimond said there is a shortage of health care workers, both in public and private healthcare centers, in UK. — Leo Solinap

suzzie
20th February 2004, 19:49
Hello
am very happy to be a member on this site, i will ilike to apply for Nursing Traning School in Uk,
SO PLEASE am here to know if things are possible for me to apply for the school. thanks
am suzzie.

:P

Admin
24th February 2004, 10:59
I'm not to sure we train filipino nurses here, as we have only been 'importing' fully trained nurses, it's cheaper for the UK goverment that way. I don't agree with it in principle, but the majority of qualified Filipino nurses over here are very happy, with many buying houses, and bringing their families over.

I can't find any direct info to help you, but here is a page with links to virtually every nursing site in the UK, so you should find something useful.

But you would be best getting your full qualifications in the Philippines before proceeding.

http://www.nurserve.co.uk/ListAssociates.asp?Queried=Y

Marc
25th October 2004, 00:24
Hi Keith,

Its good to hear the Uk are still seeking Filipino nurses. I live in the Uk and am currently seeking work for my brother in law Noel as a nurse here but are unsure of the best way to go about it. Noel is a qualified and experianced nurse in the Philippines and is NMC registered but has no work permit. Can you give me any advice on what we can do to get him work in the UK.

Thanks
Marc

Admin
27th October 2004, 12:23
Usually the NHS arrange for vetting to happen through an agency in Manila, and sometimes the out provinces so he would have to check with the overseas employment agency (or whatever they call it now in the Philippines) to see when they are next there.

As usual though, agencies aren't free as they believe in ripping off fellow countrymen from the start.

The NHS is so desperate for nurses some hospitals will ignore the agency and employ someone directly if they are good enough.

Get a list of as many hospitals as you can, and get him to write to the 'Employment Manager' in each of them. Make sure he mentions he already has relatives here as it makes access easier.

He may need to come over here for interviews, so he would have to ensure they are all the same week. After that he may have to go back to the Philippines and apply for a work permit if he gets a job, but I would imagine the NHS has direct contact with the immigration to sort it out.

Try and find hospitals with Filipino's already there.

It may be advisable to search for a CV template and fill it in as best you can for him, and then get him to do the rest. Always provide a polite cover letter explaining what he loves about the job, and all the usual crap you'd put on a job application.

english_nurse
22nd November 2004, 01:50
If you want a job at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge, write to Julie Simons, Box 206, Main Theatres, Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge, England.

This has probably given away where I work, but I doubt they will sack me for it....
Give it a try. She is a Filipino who has been working here for over 20 years and now is very senior.

ginapeterb
22nd November 2004, 02:06
Thats excellent thank you very much for that information, in fact I need to write to her, my fiancee's neice is a Physiotherapist and needs a job in UK and wants to be sponsored...maybe I can write to her.

Thanks

Admin
22nd November 2004, 11:24
Hope you got permission first, their are 60 million potential letter writers trying to get out of the Phillipines ;D

People keep getting told in the Philippines you need to go through an expensive agency, but you don't.