PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Vmuch...Maraming Salamat po!!

sars_notd_virus
12th November 2013, 11:07
LET THE WHOLE WORLD KNOW HOW GRATEFUL WE ARE WITH THEIR HELP IN TIMES WE NEED IT MOST.

https://www.facebook.com/TruPinoyTV?ref=stream

AUSTRALIA - US$10 million package
BELGIUM - medical and search and rescue personnel
CANADA - C$5 million
DENMARK - KR 10 million
EUROPEAN UNION - EUR 3 million
GERMANY - 23 tons of relief goods
HUNGARY - search and rescue personnel and rapid response team
INDONESIA - in-kind donations
ISRAEL- team of medical, trauma and relief professionals
JAPAN - emergency relief medical team
MALAYSIA - medical and search and rescue teams
THE NETHERLANDS - undisclosed financial aid
NEW ZEALAND - NZ $2.15 million
NORWAY - KR 20 million
RUSSIA - rapid response team
SAUDI ARABIA through Prince Talal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud - US$100,000
SINGAPORE - $50,000
SPAIN - in-kind donations
SWEDEN- emergency communications equipment
TAIWAN - $200,000
TURKEY - medics, rapid response team, search and rescue personnel
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - Dhs 36 million
UNITED KINGDOM - £6 million and $9.6 million worth of emergency support package
UNITED NATIONS Children's Fund - $1.3 million worth of supplies
UNITED STATES - initial $100,000 for water and sanitation; Troops, emergency respondents, transportation and equipment

A grateful nation thanks all of your very generous hearts and outpouring support in the rescue/relief/recovery/rehabilitation efforts on the devastation brought about by Typhoon Yolanda (International code name: Haiyan).

May every Filipino you encounter in the world thank you all personally. Our people affected by the recent natural disasters may not have a very Merry Christmas, but because of all of you, they will feel that there is hope for one. God-bless all of you and all those in this country who make it better for others in need.

raynaputi
12th November 2013, 11:19
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Although I really hope these donations will be received by all the victims of the typhoon and won't be pocketed by corrupt officials. :NoNo:

SimonH
12th November 2013, 11:40
Bit of a dilemma for me, part of me is really pleased that money and aid are being sent, then I read that Singapore is sending $50000, that quite frankly is an insult considering how many OFW's are there keeping their economy thriving, and as far as Saudi is concerned that's a personal donation that's probably less than he earns in interest in a day..... get your hands in your Royal pockets :cwm23:

Dedworth
12th November 2013, 11:57

Although I really hope these donations will be received by all the victims of the typhoon and won't be pocketed by corrupt officials. :NoNo:

With the UN now looking to raise $300 million there'll be plenty of opportunity for their own tax free salaried and UN passported staff to siphon of a load before it gets anywhere near the Philippines

malditako
12th November 2013, 12:10
it is better that these countries would send them directly to the victims and not through government officials

Michael Parnham
12th November 2013, 12:28
Bit of a dilemma for me, part of me is really pleased that money and aid are being sent, then I read that Singapore is sending $50000, that quite frankly is an insult considering how many OFW's are there keeping their economy thriving, and as far as Saudi is concerned that's a personal donation that's probably less than he earns in interest in a day..... get your hands in your Royal pockets :cwm23:

Well said Simon! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
12th November 2013, 15:09
I read that Singapore is sending $50000, that quite frankly is an insult

and as far as Saudi is concerned that's a personal donation that's probably less than he earns in interest in a day..... get your hands in your Royal pockets :cwm23:

Hello SimonH,...If you can double the money they sent to help the Philippines then you have the right to Moan!!...otherwise, just keep your opinions to yourself and stop slagging people off who are trying to help our country ..the Philippines!!

Thank you.

KeithD
12th November 2013, 15:55
All donations help, whether they are 50p or £50 million. Salamat Po Lah :xxgrinning--00xx3: :biggrin:

SimonH
12th November 2013, 16:26
Hello SimonH,...If you can double the money they sent to help the Philippines then you have the right to Moan!!...otherwise, just keep your opinions to yourself and stop slagging people off who are trying to help our country ..the Philippines!!

Thank you.

If you're going to quote me, then have the courtesy of quoting everything I said and not cherry picking. You seem to have left out the important first sentence where I said I am pleased that money and aid are being sent.
Let's not make this into a petty war of words, instead keep the topic on donations.

Thank you

sars_notd_virus
12th November 2013, 17:06
If you're going to quote me, then have the courtesy of quoting everything I said and not cherry picking.

Ungrateful people dont deserve any courtesy.

sars_notd_virus
12th November 2013, 17:12
All donations help, whether they are 50p or £50 million. Salamat Po Lah :xxgrinning--00xx3: :biggrin:

Thank you..you sound like a proper British/Welsh/Scouse/Pinoy!! ..proud of you!! :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
12th November 2013, 17:19
Thank you..you sound like a proper British/Welsh/Scouse/Pinoy!! ..proud of you!! :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Keith?

Part-Scots :Kilt: & Irish :irish: too ... I believe, anyway.

:peepwall:

Doc Alan
12th November 2013, 18:18
Walang anuman, salamat din for posting this thread :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

You will see the Philippine flag next to my name here :smile:.

I am doing whatever I can to support my Filipino friends by keeping in contact.

I am keeping a close watch on the news as it unfolds from the Philippines, and the international responses. Anything of interest and help regarding health issues will be posted on the Forum.

This is no time to be cynical or fight amongst ourselves. The consequences of this terrible natural disaster should unite all members more than any other issue :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

This post is NOT about me, except to pledge continuing support. I wish I could afford more. Bahala na.

Michael Parnham
12th November 2013, 18:21
Thank you Doc! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
12th November 2013, 19:07

I am keeping a close watch on the news as it unfolds from the Philippines, and the international responses. Anything of interest and help regarding health issues will be posted on the Forum.

This is no time to be cynical or fight amongst ourselves. The consequences of this terrible natural disaster should unite all members more than any other issue :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

This post is NOT about me, except to pledge continuing support. I wish I could afford more. Bahala na.

Well said Doc - my only concern is that donations are channelled through organisations that are able to quickly provide max relief without removing large slices to cover admin and inflated CEO salaries - this makes me suspicious about some large British charities and the UN

bigmarco
12th November 2013, 20:49
The aid is becoming more impressive here are some figures from the BBC. It's great to see the whole world seems to want to help in one way or another. It would be nice to think that as we approach the season of goodwill the people of the world will be moved enough to contribute to one of the appeals.

AUSTRALIA: $9.3m package, including medical staff, shelter materials, water containers and hygiene kits
JAPAN: $10m, including tents and blankets. 25-person medical team already sent
SOUTH KOREA: $5m plus a 40-strong medical team
INDONESIA: Logistical aid including aircraft, food, generators and medicine
UAE: $10m in humanitarian aid
US: $20m in humanitarian aid, 90 marines, aircraft carrier plus logistics support
UK: $16m (£10m) package including emergency shelter, water and household items

stevewool
12th November 2013, 21:50
give what you can and what you are happy with is all we can do, every little will help someone we hope

SimonH
12th November 2013, 21:53
Ungrateful people dont deserve any courtesy.

Ungrateful :laugher::laugher::laugher::laugher: Read my post again :cwm25: Let's keep this on topic shall we :Erm:

sars_notd_virus
13th November 2013, 10:26

yes thanks doc....a lot of areas affected by the typhoon hasnt received anything yet ..in fact there has been incidence of gunshooting in SJ bridge and looting going on in some areas affected.

just received an update from a friend in Samar today they
finally receive relief goods from U.N. delivered by five US Marine c130 plane .

sars_notd_virus
13th November 2013, 10:30
The aid is becoming more impressive here are some figures from the BBC. It's great to see the whole world seems to want to help in one way or another. It would be nice to think that as we approach the season of goodwill the people of the world will be moved enough to contribute to one of the appeals.

AUSTRALIA: $9.3m package, including medical staff, shelter materials, water containers and hygiene kits
JAPAN: $10m, including tents and blankets. 25-person medical team already sent
SOUTH KOREA: $5m plus a 40-strong medical team
INDONESIA: Logistical aid including aircraft, food, generators and medicine
UAE: $10m in humanitarian aid
US: $20m in humanitarian aid, 90 marines, aircraft carrier plus logistics support
UK: $16m (£10m) package including emergency shelter, water and household items

thank you for taking time to post about the updated figures .:xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
13th November 2013, 10:39
.. and by the way
thank you for two good reps i received in this thread and one bad rep .. very appreciated :smile::xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
13th November 2013, 10:52
If you're going to quote me, then have the courtesy of quoting everything I said and not cherry picking. You seem to have left out the important first sentence where I said I am pleased that money and aid are being sent.
Let's not make this into a petty war of words, instead keep the topic on donations.

Thank you

Apparently this comment deserves negative rep, with the comment "rude mate...very rude!!"

Kindly someone explain to me what's so rude about the post :Erm:
Would a mod or administrator kindly look into this and make a decision whether they think it's justified or not and then get back to me.

SimonH
13th November 2013, 10:54
..and by the way
thank you for two good reps i received in this thread and one bad rep ..very appreciated:smile::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'd just like to point out Sars that I didn't leave any rep, good or bad :wink:

Terpe
13th November 2013, 11:10
...Would a mod or administrator kindly look into this and make a decision whether they think it's justified or not and then get back to me.

Decisions about positive or negative rep's are down solely to the 'giver'.

It's an individual and anonymous responsibility to which neither Admin nor Mods are involved. Nor should they be.

SimonH
13th November 2013, 11:18
Decisions about positive or negative rep's are down solely to the 'giver'.

It's an individual and anonymous responsibility to which neither Admin nor Mods are involved. Nor should they be.

Thank you for clarifying that, and apologies for taking it off topic. I can't say that I agree to the no involvement rule as someone could take a dislike to a fellow member and consistently give negative rep without justification. I'm here to follow the t&c's not change them :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
13th November 2013, 14:04
give what you can and what you are happy with is all we can do, every little will help someone we hope

I'll agree with that Steve! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
13th November 2013, 23:30
LET THE WHOLE WORLD KNOW HOW GRATEFUL WE ARE WITH THEIR HELP IN TIMES WE NEED IT MOST.

A grateful nation thanks all of your very generous hearts and outpouring support in the rescue/relief/recovery/rehabilitation efforts on the devastation brought about by Typhoon Yolanda (International code name: Haiyan).

May every Filipino you encounter in the world thank you all personally. Our people affected by the recent natural disasters may not have a very Merry Christmas, but because of all of you, they will feel that there is hope for one. God-bless all of you and all those in this country who make it better for others in need.

Lovely posting Sars and very much appreciated, thank you! :xxgrinning--00xx3: The speed and size of the aid donations being made from the UK is a wonderful indication of how much the British care about and want to help the Filipino people who have lost so much in terrible circumstances. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It's also fabulous to see other countries providing a united front and pledging desperately needed support . :appl:

grahamw48
14th November 2013, 00:10
I agree Rosie...said it for me. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
15th November 2013, 01:55
Lovely posting Sars and very much appreciated, thank you! :xxgrinning--00xx3: The speed and size of the aid donations being made from the UK is a wonderful indication of how much the British care about and want to help the Filipino people who have lost so much in terrible circumstances. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It's also fabulous to see other countries providing a united front and pledging desperately needed support . :appl:

thank you Rosie, I was so overwhelmed!!

as of today:

''GENEROUS Britons have raised an incredible £23 million in just 48 hours to help hundreds of thousands of people affected by killer Typhoon Haiyan.'' :appl:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/443039/Generous-Britons-raise-incredible-23-million-in-48-hours-for-Philippines-typhoon-appeal

Arthur Little
15th November 2013, 02:01
''GENEROUS Britons have raised an incredible £23 million in just 48 hours to help hundreds of thousands of people affected by killer Typhoon Haiyan.'' :appl:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/443039/Generous-Britons-raise-incredible-23-million-in-48-hours-for-Philippines-typhoon-appeal

:yeahthat:, Marie ... Gt :Britain:'s NOT such a bad old nation when all is said and done!

Arthur Little
15th November 2013, 02:07
"... when all is said and done!"

:icon_rolleyes: ... reminds me ^ of a track from an 'Abba' album!

sars_notd_virus
15th November 2013, 02:09
:yeahthat:, Marie ... Gt :Britain:'s NOT such a bad old nation when all is said and done!

I agree sir Art,...people come together in such crisis and support each other:xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
15th November 2013, 02:28
:icon_rolleyes: ... reminds me ^ of a track from an 'Abba' album!

here you go: ...I am also listening to it now and still busy packing relief goods!!

Here's to us one more toast and then we'll pay the bill
Deep inside both of us can feel the autumn chill
Birds of passage, you and me
We fly instinctively
When the summer's over and the dark clouds hide the sun
Neither you nor I'm to blame when all is said and done

tUh4u-lYEhM

joebloggs
15th November 2013, 14:26

Coca-Cola donates $2.5m to support disaster relief in the Philippines
http://www.foodbev.com/news/coca-cola-donates-25m-to-support-disaste#.UoYfViePCCk

Tim Hortons contributes $100,000 to Philippines disaster relief
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tim-hortons-contributes-100000-to-philippines-disaster-relief-232045261.html

grahamw48
15th November 2013, 14:32
That's good...maybe Coke can also send a few million for dental treatment for all the teeth their nasty products have rotted in the Phils.

KeithD
15th November 2013, 14:48
That's good...maybe Coke can also send a few million for dental treatment for all the teeth their nasty products have rotted in the Phils.
That isn't cokes fault, everything in moderation, and clean your teeth :smile:

SimonH
15th November 2013, 15:10
That isn't cokes fault, everything in moderation, and clean your teeth :smile:

I'm going to copy and paste that, then send it to Colgate, maybe they'll donate a few million as well :wink:

Arthur Little
15th November 2013, 16:02
here you go: ...I am also listening to it now and still busy packing relief goods!!

Here's to us one more toast and then we'll pay the bill
Deep inside both of us can feel the autumn chill
Birds of passage, you and me
We fly instinctively
When the summer's over and the dark clouds hide the sun
Neither you nor I'm to blame when all is said and done

tUh4u-lYEhM

:Hellooo: ... THAT'S the one, Marie ... MANY THANKS!!!

andy222
15th November 2013, 19:15
Mmmm Agnetha my schoolboy crush. Seriously though, well done to all the brits that have donated. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
15th November 2013, 21:30
Mmmm Agnetha my schoolboy crush.....

Ah yes, still one of mine :hubbahubba:

Seriously though well done to all the brits that have donated.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just unbelievable..... still so many wonderful compassionate and generous people around us :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
15th November 2013, 21:35
it has to be on the news every day, once it has started to be the third or fourth story on the news people will think its ok now, just my thoughts, and yes we all should be very proud of what we have all done

Rosie1958
15th November 2013, 22:39
Just read an update from DEC.... the Disaster Emergency Committee ......... which was posted 9 hours ago. The amount donated at that time was £30m and it is sure to be more than that now. How wonderful!!!!! :Jump::Jump::Jump:

stevewool
15th November 2013, 22:44
an amazing amount, just goes to show we are all richer than we think, and more generous than what people may think

Rosie1958
15th November 2013, 23:06
The £30m is the amount donated to the DEC and excludes all the donations that have been sent directly to Philippine Red Cross, etc. so we probably won't know exactly how much our very generous country has donated so far. I believe that there are over 60 million people in the UK so if everyone donated just a pound, £60m would be raised. So many people around the world have been touched by the devastation and suffering and want to do whatever they can. However small it all counts.

Watch out for the bucket collections in the UK this weekend, I am sure there will be plenty and know that The Rotary Club will be out in Taunton collecting as a friend of mine is taking part! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
16th November 2013, 03:56
Watch out for the bucket collections in the UK this weekend....

:Erm: Surely they need food and water not buckets?! :xxparty-smiley-004:

joebloggs
16th November 2013, 10:28
Nestle, LaFarge, LG pledge more donations for PH

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/11/16/13/nestle-lafarge-lg-pledge-more-donations-ph

Dedworth
18th November 2013, 16:26
Well done the cruise lines :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The travel industry has rallied to help people devastated by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.

Cruise lines with crew members from the country are supporting staff with families affected by the disaster and have pledged to donate money.

The support came as the Foreign & Commonwealth Office changed its guidance and advised against all but essential travel to the eastern Visayas region of the Philippines where the typhoon caused extensive damage.

At least 10,000 people, the vast majority in the city of Tacloban, are thought to have been killed by the typhoon, which struck last week.

US specialist Mike Stones, of Major Travel, encouraged donations via the Travel Gossip page on Facebook. He said his wife had flown to the Philippines to visit relatives and landed 12 hours ahead of the typhoon, adding: “The final damage will be nearly equivalent to the Boxing Day tsunami, so if you can afford some aid please give it.”

Royal Caribbean has pledged to raise $1 million to help those affected.

Richard Fain, chairman and chief executive, said: “More than 12,800 of our employees call the Philippines home.

“We want to do everything we can to help them, their families, and their neighbours heal from this tragedy.”

Royal Caribbean has been helping crew members communicate with relatives in the Philippines and is also matching contributions from employees.

As parent company Carnival Corporation pledges $1 million to aid relief in the Philippines, UK brands P&O Cruises and Cunard are also donating $100,000 to the Red Cross appeal.

David Dingle, Carnival UK chief executive, said: “With over 4,000 Filipino crew members working across the fleet of ten ships, P&O Cruises and Cunard have been working hard to support our ships’ companies in contacting their loved ones.

“We are providing help and as much practical and emotional support as they need. This is not a short term crisis and we have pledged to continue to help those affected over coming days, weeks and months, as long as it takes.

“All Filipino crew or those living I the Philippines have been given free phone and internet cards so they can contact their family and friends. We are also putting chaplains on all our ships specifically for crew counseling.

“For those crew members who have asked to return to the Philippines we have arranged for them to be met and given the support they need whilst there.”

Fred Olsen Cruise Lines said it is arranging for a number of staff from the most devastated areas to return home, and is sending a donation to its crewing agent in the region, Bahia Shipping, to distribute to families in need of help.

Holland America Line and Seabourn made a $25,000 donation to disaster relief efforts in the affected area.

Adventure travel specialist Intrepid Travel is encouraging donations to the Intrepid Foundation. The Intrepid Group will match donations up to £11,700.

The UN says more than 11 million people are believed to have been affected by the storm, which went on to cause disruption in Vietnam and China.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/11/14/46024/industry-rallies-to-raise-funds-for-typhoon-devastated.html

Generous holidaymakers on British cruise ships have raised thousands of pounds for Filipino crew members who fear for their families, writes Walter Harris.

Collections were organised by the captains of Saga's three ships during Remembrance Sunday services last weekend, and the money has been distributed among the 1,000 Filipino crew.

During one service on Saga's ship Sapphire, Captain Alistair McLundie and chaplain Ken Newell included the Lord's Prayer in Tagalog – a language spoken in the Philippines – and members of the Filipino choir held hands.

One passenger said : 'Most of the crew came from the Philippines. Several were concerned at the lack of news about their families and one feared her brother was among the dead.

'I found the Sapphire service remarkably moving.'

Captains on Cunard and P&O ships also held collections and the companies have made a joint donation of £62,000 to the Red Cross, while their American parent company, Carnival Corporation, has given $1 million (£620,000) to the relief effort.

All three companies have sent representatives to the Philippines to find the families of crew members.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508530/400-bodies-buried-mass-grave-Philippines-Typhoon-Haiyan.html#ixzz2l0lM4AUb

grahamw48
18th November 2013, 17:58
Very generous. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
18th November 2013, 23:24
Just read an update from DEC.... the Disaster Emergency Committee ......... which was posted 9 hours ago. The amount donated at that time was £30m and it is sure to be more than that now. How wonderful!!!!! :Jump::Jump::Jump:

Further update, the DEC Appeal in the UK showed 10 hours ago that an astonishing £39 million has now been raised by the British public!!!! :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

How wonderful is that?!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

KeithD
19th November 2013, 02:32
The Titanic is steaming full speed dead-ahead to help with the evacuation :omg:

Michael Parnham
19th November 2013, 12:55
Further update, the DEC Appeal in the UK showed 10 hours ago that an astonishing £39 million has now been raised by the British public!!!! :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Very nice Rosie! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
19th November 2013, 15:35
The Titanic is steaming full speed dead-ahead to help with the evacuation :omg:

Keith ...stop it now ! :icon_lol:

Rosie1958
21st November 2013, 00:46

An update from the Disaster Emergency Committee, the amount donated to the Philippines Typhoon appeal by the generous British public is now £50 million !!!!! :Jump::Jump::Jump:

Michael Parnham
21st November 2013, 12:31
An update from the Disaster Emergency Committee, the amount donated to the Philippines Typhoon appeal by the generous British public is now £50 million !!!!! :Jump::Jump::Jump:

Thank you so much for your updates Rosie, look forward to your next one! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
22nd November 2013, 00:53
Thank you so much for your updates Rosie, look forward to your next one! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael, it's my pleasure and thank you so much for the rep :biggrin:

Just 24 hours after the last update, I am thrilled to report that the donations by the British public to the DEC Philippines Typhoon appeal has now risen to £55 million!!!!

What is also amazing is that the Philippines appeal was also being run at the same time as our annual Children In Need appeal last week which also raised £32 million.

What a truly fabulous result!!! :xxparty-smiley-050::appl:

Michael Parnham
22nd November 2013, 12:31

Just 24 hours after the last update, I am thrilled to report that the donations by the British public to the DEC Philippines Typhoon appeal has now risen to £55 million!!!!

What is also amazing is that the Philippines appeal was also being run at the same time as our annual Children In Need appeal last week which also raised £32 million.

It is indeed Rosie! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
22nd November 2013, 12:54

thanks for the update Rosie...Truly fabulous!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
22nd November 2013, 18:48
Typhoon Haiyan was more destructive than most people thought possible. The financial and tactical support of the UK, USA and other countries has been amazing, and obviously appreciated by Filipinos :smile:. But already the UN initial appeal for $300m in emergency aid has been declared inadequate.

Like other natural disasters, there has been shocking damage and loss of life, fear and chaos, lack of food and shelter – with criticism of sluggish local and even international response.

The acute crisis is giving way to long term challenges of recovery.

Apart from the death toll and millions displaced, it seems more than 18,000 were injured. Most hospitals and health facilities in typhoon-hit areas are seriously damaged. Additional hospitals and facilities set up by international groups are not all ( yet ) working. Sanitation conditions are worrying due to clean water shortage. The risks of diarrhoea, respiratory illnesses including influenza, and leptospirosis, remain high. Safety of vaccination is at risk because the vaccines can’t all be stored at the right ( cold ) temperature. It’s now estimated that 200,000 pregnant women and 130,000 breast feeding women in disaster – hit areas need specialised care.

There appear to be 87 medical teams, including 43 foreign groups, deployed to affected areas.

Basic medical supplies ( dressings, antibiotics, painkillers, and intravenous sets ), together with soap, tarpaulins, blankets have been / or are being distributed to affected areas, including remote islands.

As at least seven provinces ( Samar, Leyte, Cebu, Iloilo, Capiz, Aklan and Palawan ) have been affected, there are at least that number of separate relief efforts.

A DOH spokesman said :- “ It might take a while to get the whole health-care system back to normal and better coordination is needed … I’m still calling for more volunteers and health-care professionals, both domestically and internationally “.

The UK’s assistance alone is something we’re all proud of, and we know it’s appreciated :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62380-6/fulltext

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62406-X/fulltext

grahamw48
22nd November 2013, 19:04
Thanks for the info' Alan. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
22nd November 2013, 21:33
Great info doc Alan! :xxgrinning--00xx3: I've found a photo of one of the makeshift hospitals that has been set up in Philippines by Save the Children, one of the 14 charities participating in the the Disaster Emergency Committee set up in the UK:-

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag41/hab1958/PhilippinesTempHospital_zps1fdee90a.jpg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/hab1958/media/PhilippinesTempHospital_zps1fdee90a.jpg.html)

The DEC has now also announced a further update on the amount donated in the UK ....... now a wonderful £57 million!! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

If anyone would like to help and make a donation, their website can be found at http://dec.org.uk/appeals/philippines-typhoon-appeal

Doc Alan
22nd November 2013, 21:55
Thanks also to you, Rosie :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

There’s an interesting article in this week’s “ Economist “ newspaper (http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21590371-terrible-catastrophe-philippines-also-wreaks-political-and-diplomatic-damage-stormy-weather ).

Rosie1958
25th November 2013, 23:42
Thanks for the interesting article Doc Alan :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The UK Disaster Emergency Committee fund has been updated today and now stands at a massive £60 million of donations by the British public, how fabulous!!!! :Britain: :Jump:

Michael Parnham
26th November 2013, 11:54
That must be a public record Rosie! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
26th November 2013, 23:48
Bristol residents give more than £700,000 to Philippines appeal
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-residents-700-000-Philippines-appeal/story-20223332-detail/story.html

Beatles, Eminem, U2 Set for Philippines Benefit Album
Album features 39 hits and classic tracks and benefits Philippine Red Cross
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beatles-eminem-u2-set-for-philippines-benefit-album-20131126

David Guetta donates new song to aid Philippines
http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2013/11/david-guetta-donates-new-song-aid-philippines

Alicia Keys visits typhoon refugees in Philippines
http://www.arabnews.com/news/482871

Cookstown High pupils raise cash for Philippines
http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/news/features/cookstown-high-pupils-raise-cash-for-philippines-1-5709286

fred
27th November 2013, 00:08
Newly elected officials and local people here in Bohol have been amazed at the speed at which things are being turned around in Tacloban and Leyte.. We didn't expect ANY power here until Jan,Feb of next year and yet we are getting intermittent power now..
All of them notice how the world has helped them and ALL of them ask me to relay their very sincere thanks!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
27th November 2013, 00:13
That's good to know Fred. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
27th November 2013, 00:21
Newly elected officials and local people here in Bohol have been amazed at the speed at which things are being turned around in Tacloban and Leyte.. We didn't expect ANY power here until Jan,Feb of next year and yet we are getting intermittent power now..
All of them notice how the world has helped them and ALL of them ask me to relay their very sincere thanks!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Wow ...... that's fabulous Fred, thanks for sharing! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The latest update on the donated amount from DEC (Disaster Emergency Committee) in UK was posted 11 hours ago and now stands at a whopping £63 million pound !!!! :yikes: :Jump: :yikes:

fred
27th November 2013, 00:34
Rosie,Graham..
As you may know..Ive not been online much lately due to the power situation and had no idea about the 60M brit donation.. My bro in law and two local councilors came to the house to tell me..
The information is getting through loud and clear.

andy222
27th November 2013, 10:45
Its a good effort fred. No doubt it will hit the 70 million mark.

Terpe
27th November 2013, 15:48
I hope that the 'nonsense' about personal aid storage and distribution blocking by local government officials will also get understood and punished.

BTW, glad to know all is well in the fred household :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
28th November 2013, 04:09
I hope that the 'nonsense' about personal aid storage and distribution blocking by local government officials will also get understood and punished.

BTW, glad to know all is well in the fred household :xxgrinning--00xx3:

When sending that kind of cash to the R.P you would think that the UK would send it with a 10 or more envoys with the assistance of the British embassy..
The thing that always gets me about these charity drives is the massive amount of effort in raising the cash but the often disappointing updates as to how its being spent.
If the politicians here have got control of the warehouses then its not looking good..
I thought it was all in the possession of the Red cross?

grahamw48
28th November 2013, 10:26
The looting of shops by hungry people who had just lost all their possessions was at least understandable.

The next wave of 'looting' will be in a league of its own, by people who are well practised at it, and very unlikely to be in need. :NoNo:

Doc Alan
28th November 2013, 10:39
It’s true that media coverage of natural disasters often focuses on immediate ravages, injuries, deaths, and economic loss, with less visible long-term consequences such as health, and where the generous donations are being used.

There are continuing regular news updates, however ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25100323

http://www.aljazeera.com/video/asia-pacific/2013/11/philippines-looks-long-term-typhoon-issues-20131124155455613600.html

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/nov/27/tourists-urged-return-the-philippines-typhoon-haiyan
).

Health workers’ responses are receiving attention in the medical journals ( see #58 ), and continue to do so.

Unfortunately, even for me, the articles are not always easily accessible ( the British Medical Journal requires a subscription or payment for access to their articles ).

It’s still an important topic in “ The Lancet “. This month they e mailed over 40 doctors based in the Philippines for personal accounts of the medical response to the typhoon. Responses included those from :-

* Tacloban ( the first of a medical team to arrive managed to text , and described not just the clinical work but also the community mobilisation including “ Oplan Walis Tingting / Operation Broomstick ) ;

* Central Visayas ( experiences of “ Doctors to the Barrios “ programme ) ;

* Cebu ( not just the immediate response but the need for primary care including vaccination ) ;

*Panay ( at least 30 agencies of UN and international NGOs are “ on the ground “ ) ;

*Bantayan Island and Guintacan Island ( which until the typhoon had one physician for 35,000 inhabitants and another for 27,000 inhabitants ) ;

*and Metro Manila ( “ Essential Intrapartum and Newborn Care “ has mobilised a wide network of mother support groups ).

( http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62415-0/fulltext

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62413-7/fulltext )

Thanks to ALL Forum members, both in Philippines and UK, who are doing a great job keeping us updated :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Terpe
28th November 2013, 10:44
When sending that kind of cash to the R.P you would think that the UK would send it with a 10 or more envoys with the assistance of the British embassy..
The thing that always gets me about these charity drives is the massive amount of effort in raising the cash but the often disappointing updates as to how its being spent.
If the politicians here have got control of the warehouses then its not looking good..
I thought it was all in the possession of the Red cross?

The UN issued an instruction that all aid is under the control of Aid Agencies and must NOT be handed over to local government representatives.(that says something in itself)
However this is not applicable to aid supplies that is via official Philippine Governnment sources.

There have been many instances of 'stand-offs' where the local Mayor (for example) has refused permissison for aid distribution unless supplies handed over.
Dick Gordon has many stories about this including a well reported one from Bohol.

The RAF offered to distribute by helicopter aid supplies held in a government warehouse.
The local Mayor declined as he himself wanted to be seen to be the distributor (also that he could select those to receive and those to refuse)

It's certainly given me a new perspective on local government officials.....

fred
28th November 2013, 13:06
Here we go!!
I cant say I`m surprised...:NoNo:
Pretty sickening report nonetheless..
Brave lady though..
Very brave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hrw8159hyV4

Michael Parnham
28th November 2013, 13:19
Thanks Fred, yes brave lady! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
3rd December 2013, 00:17
Thanks for the report Fred, very concerning information being shared although I couldn't work out when it was filmed :cwm24: I do hope that this lady didn't suffer any repercussions

A quick update ......... the amount donated through the Disaster Emergency Committee in the UK has now reached £69 million !! :Jump::Jump::Jump:

stevewool
3rd December 2013, 07:59
a very worrying film to see and like people before me i do hope she will be ok, but it happens everywhere corruption :NoNo:

Doc Alan
3rd December 2013, 09:04
Thanks to Rosie for your regular update - £ 69 million donated through the DEC is a magnificent effort :Hellooo:.

Sadly this won’t be the last natural calamity the world will experience, and corruption is just one confounding factor.

However, charity has clearly NOT stayed at home following typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda. Rosie, and many other members including myself, have donated what we can :smile:.

I hope at least a few members may have found my own updates of interest and heartwarming – I will continue with them as another small contribution :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Rosie1958
8th December 2013, 01:19
Doc Alan, your updates are always of interest :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal in the UK has now reached a fabulous £73 million !! For anyone unsure of the conversion to Filipino Pesos, that is 5,241,725,879.21 PHP (yes, that's 5.2 billion pesos!!!) :appl: :appl: :appl:

andy222
8th December 2013, 09:50
Read post #69.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
8th December 2013, 13:33
British, Aussie troops to pull out from Yolanda areas soon

MANILA -- Hundreds of British and Australian forces are set to leave the Yolanda-torn areas.

Armed Forces assistant deputy chief of staff Navy Capt. Rafael Mariano said the pullout is expected since the operations there will already shift from relief to rehabilitation.

The British, numbering between 400 and 500, will provide assistance in Panay island and Palawan on Tuesday. They will visit Manila on Wednesday and then head home the following day.

An Australian ship, meanwhile, will leave Tuesday. A C-130 carrying 350 troops will follow suit.

The Australians helped in the clearing, minor repair of roads and buildings in Ormoc.

Only a few will be left after the British and Australians leave. Among them are troops from Japan, Canada, Italy, and China.

The United States and South Korea were the first to pull out. although the Koreans hinted that a fresh number of troops may be sent to help in the reconstruction.

Mariano said there is no timetable yet as to when the others will leave, but expects the pullout within the month.

Super typhoon Yolanda devastated Eastern Visayas last November 8. It claimed the lives of at least 5,796 persons.

The cost to agriculture and infrastructure is at least P35.52 billion. Analysts believe the rehabilitation will take around 10 years.

Source: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/12/08/13/british-aussie-troops-pull-out-yolanda-areas-soon (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/12/08/13/british-aussie-troops-pull-out-yolanda-areas-soon)

joebloggs
20th December 2013, 22:58
DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal reaches £81 million

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/19724

Rosie1958
13th January 2014, 23:48
Latest figures released by the DEC Appeal 9 hours ago amounts to an amazing £86million which is around 6.2 Billion Philippine pesos !!!!!!

I hope and pray that the needy are receiving the help that this massive donation was intended for.

Terpe
14th January 2014, 15:51
Latest figures released by the DEC Appeal 9 hours ago amounts to an amazing £86million which is around 6.2 Billion Philippine pesos !!!!!!

I hope and pray that the needy are receiving the help that this massive donation was intended for.

That's an amazing amount :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm sure that there are plenty of projects going on that are directly supporting those in need. Both on an individula level and community level.

Michael Parnham
14th January 2014, 15:59
Terrific amount Rosie, great stuff and I hope it has placed many people in a better position! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
8th February 2014, 00:32
Latest update from DEC for the Philippines Appeal shows that the amount raised now stands at £90Million !!!!!!!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin:

Arthur Little
8th February 2014, 01:48
Latest update from DEC for the Philippines Appeal shows that the amount raised now stands at £90Million !!!!!!!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin:

TREMENDOUS effort by all concerned, Rosie. Now, one can only hope & :pray: it finds its way into the "right hands" for fair distribution amongst the most needy ... as soon as humanly possible.