PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways And Doha Airport Review

KeithD
5th November 2013, 07:36
This is just a brief Qatar Airways And Doha Airport Review, but I imagine most people will agree with some of the things I say. I'm still jetlagged to hell though :Cuckoo:

I have decided that I do not like the Airbus A330, the seats are way too thin for comfort, and frontal legroom is crap. Yet with the same airline, the 777 has plenty of room.

The food on Qatar Airways was OK, especially as for a change it is a selection of chicken, beef OR FISH. Which is not usually on the menu with other airlines, unless it ordered pre-flight as a special.

Apart from the seating on the Airbus A330, the cabin staff do not seem to have a clue about meal times. When you take off from Manchester you have to wait a while for a drink and snacks. Then they eventually bring you the main meal after 3 hours, and as it is only a 6 hour flight, we got the 2nd meal 1.5 hours later. :Erm: They kept forgetting things as well. We had to call her back for the bread :doh

On the Doha>Manila flight I just went to sleep, but Rayna said the food was OK.

On both flights they didn't serve many drinks, you have to ask. Unlike Singapore Airlines, who are always bringing them around. World No.1 Airline? I don't think so, I rate US Airways better.

As for Doha Airport... OMG :omg:

How the hell is that place going to handle the World Cup traffic? :cwm24:

The most dangerous thing in any airport are vehicles, and at Doha their are thousands of them, the taxiways are like the M1. :cwm24:

We had to get off the plane, travel about 3 miles on a bus to departures, get back on a bus, and drive back again. :NoNo:

So in conclusion, we won't be using Qatar Airways or Doha Airport for travelling to Manila again. We'll try and stick with Singapore Airlines.

tiger31
5th November 2013, 07:41
I travelled with them on my very first visit and I could,nt fault them one bit had a 3 and half hour lay over so was,nt too bad .I would use them again.

London_Manila
5th November 2013, 08:38
I used Emirates recently and they seem to be very similar to Qatar

Long waits for any food and no drinks between meals
Cabin staff needed retraining also they would be serving to one row and then move 5 rows down and start serving there!
Dubai airport is expensive and very crowded

According to Skytrax Emirates are the best airline in the world :Erm:

SimonH
5th November 2013, 09:23
Used Emirates last time and couldn't fault them, with the exception of a 5 hour stop over. Will use them again as I've got lots of their air miles and they now fly to Clark, but will also look forward to PAL reviews :smile:

Michael Parnham
5th November 2013, 09:53
Sorry you were not happy with Qatar Keith, I prefer them to Singapore and Cathay also find the Terminal Average, do prefer Singapore terminal building, cant be beaten. My main reason for using Qatar originally was because they used to fly to Cebu and they discontinued Cebu a couple of years ago, could revert back to Singapore but find them expensive, also Qatar journey time was more suitable with 8 hours Followed by 9 hours flying time. I would imagine we will be going around October next year so will be needing to know, what airline will be flying ex Manchester to Cebu, Any ideas?:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
5th November 2013, 09:56
I used Emirates recently and they seem to be very similar to Qatar

Long waits for any food and no drinks between meals
Cabin staff needed retraining also they would be serving to one row and then move 5 rows down and start serving there!
Dubai airport is expensive and very crowded

According to Skytrax Emirates are the best airline in the world :Erm:

Never spent money in any airport ever! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
5th November 2013, 10:09

Bet you have :wink:

tiger31
5th November 2013, 10:26
Bet you have :wink:
I have ( an exit visa lol )

SimonH
5th November 2013, 10:34
I have ( an exit visa lol )

Damn, you sussed me out :biggrin:

grahamw48
5th November 2013, 11:07
Thanks for the headsup about leg room...very important to me.

Drinks (alcoholic)...couldn't care less. I think alcohol should be banned from all flights anyway.

Food....no probs. Always have my packup with me. :biggrin:

SimonH
5th November 2013, 11:18

Drinks (alcoholic)...couldn't care less. I think alcohol should be banned from all flights anyway.

Seatguru is a very useful site to check the best seats on your flight. Just type in your flight number or airline and route and it'll give you the best options for seats, leg room, width, does it have a power point etc :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.seatguru.com/

RickyR
5th November 2013, 11:41
The new Doha airport should be open by next year (was due this year but cancelled). This will make a big difference in terms of the transfer experience.

grahamw48
5th November 2013, 12:22
Seatguru is a very useful site to check the best seats on your flight. Just type in your flight number or airline and route and it'll give you the best options for seats, leg room, width, does it have a power point etc :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.seatguru.com/

Thanks Simon. I was aware of the site, but good to have a reminder...especially as I'm searching for flights at the moment. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Trefor
5th November 2013, 12:37
I agree that Qatar Airlines isn't that good, and the airport is a bit of a bunfight. It will be better when the new airport opens - Inshallah! Emirates is definitely better, but the in-flight service is around the same standard. i.e. random.

I'm actually going to Doha on business soon, not really any other option to get there directly so I'm flying Qatar (on A330s too...). Currently have exit row seats selected, we'll see if I get kicked out of them at check-in.

Pete/London
5th November 2013, 12:43
I flew Cathay last time to Clarke and found them very good, plenty of food and drink available and despite the reports found the thin plane seats ok.HK airport good as well.

Flew Singapore this year to Aus and they were great, with a 5 hour wait at Singapore on way home, helped by the available quite areas to rest at the airport. Flown them to Manila in the past and found them excellent, the Singapore -Manila flight was almost empty and I was pampered because the stewardesses were bored.

Emirates were OK the first few times we used them until our last flight with them around 3 years ago. We thought the Dubai to Manila leg let it down, running out of snacks after 4 or 5 hours into the flight and drinks hard to come by.
Plus I had a punt on the Dubai airport raffle at around £90. and lost. The gold earrings made good cheap presents though.

BA in the 90s were also good.

My wife has flown Kuwait, never again she said, and Ethiad, not that impressed.

London_Manila
6th November 2013, 06:23

I had to eat something i was so hungry and wanted some real food plus it was a 4 hour layover

London_Manila
6th November 2013, 06:27

I was talking about non alcoholic drinks as it gets very thirsty on a 9 hour 50 mins flight Clark to Dubai

I never touch alcohol anyway :smile:

tiger31
6th November 2013, 06:36
of the 3 airlines ive flown so far QATAR.ASIANA,AND CATHAY PACIFIC .cathay in my opinion was the best i,d rather pay a little extra when it comes to connections via hongkong I only waited 45 mins then on to cebu ,very good service in flight and did,nt even feel a bump of turbulence lol

grahamw48
6th November 2013, 11:53
I was talking about non alcoholic drinks as it gets very thirsty on a 9 hour 50 mins flight Clark to Dubai

I never touch alcohol anyway :smile:

No offence intended, or assumptions made. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Your post just fired up my anti-alcohol on planes brain cell. :biggrin:

chino
8th November 2013, 21:20
i fly QR a lot, currently gold status, but i will be going down to Silver next year...

I agree with a lot of what you said... once they get rid of the Airbus on the MAN leg it will be better.. they are moving to the 787... also once they get the new airport, it should be better...

I hated my last flight as i had a 9 hour layover... even in the lounge it is not nice..

KeithD
27th November 2013, 09:28
Well we are both back from our return leg with Qatar Airways, and it was the same problems as going.

One thing that does stand out is that senior citizens and the disabled seem to be treated as 3rd rate citizens, and are more of a hindrance than people who should be looked after. When I fly with EU, US or Singapore Airlines the disabled and elderly are well looked after. Qatar Airways don't even speak to those who require assistance during the flight, and they are left to figure out what to do themselves when they have landed.

Drinking is essential on long haul flights, but rarely did the staff bring drinks, unlike what you get on say SIA. As with the inbound Qatar-UK flight, the meal was served 3 hours into the flight, other airlines I use feed people within 1.5hrs. So everyone was starving. As it is a relatively short long haul, they then served the second meal about 2 hrs later!! :Erm:

I have flown with a lot of airlines, and as all the problems with Qatar Airways happened on all 4 flights, it is obviously normal, and because of that I rate this airline as absolute crap and I will never use them again. In future we will stick with SIA and EU airlines, and maybe try Philippine Airlines.

grahamw48
27th November 2013, 10:55
Hmm, thanks for sharing your experience Keith, just a shame it was a bad one for you. :NoNo:

It certainly reinforces my own approach when travelling...ie, regard it as an exercise in basic survival. Hence my big lunch box full of food, constantly topped up, and a bottle of water where permitted. Not just because I'm tight (which I am :biggrin:). Sometimes you're on your own ! :mad:

Michael Parnham
27th November 2013, 22:12
Sorry you appeared to have had a disappointing experience with Qatar, I've never had a bad experience with any airline and I suppose it depends on what one expects regarding ones flight requirements. My main reason originally for using Qatar was because they used to fly to Cebu, but having used them regularly found they met all my requirements and never had a problem, just my opinion Keith. Having said that I'm pleased that yourself and Rayna had an enjoyable time in the Philippines and sincerely hope that whatever Airline you use next time will be a big improvement compared to your latter flight! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
28th November 2013, 08:01
As a disabled airline customer, I see the 'other' side of the airlines, and this is what tends to let them down, but overall including seat size, airline staff, food, airport, etc, Qatar is rubbish.

The cheapest airline I use is US Airways, and yet I'd rate that 5 Stars, however it is now going to merge with United so I am hoping that is not going to screw up the excellent service they give. Singapore Airlines is another 5 Star that gets everything right. The worst EU airline I've used is KLM.

RickyR
28th November 2013, 11:21
Marvie and the kids have flown first class with them from Cebu to Muscat (I wasnt paying I hasten to add) had mixed reviews at the time. BMW 7 series transfers from the aircraft to the permium terminal, but none of the ground staff or cabin crew helped her with two very young children (aged 1 and 4 at the time) and overloaded with bags.

Michael Parnham
28th November 2013, 12:53
I understand exactly where your coming from Keith, also with ref to KLM that's at the bottom of my list, but having said that the 777 was fine, it was the cabin crew that I found a little intimidating!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
5th December 2013, 22:39
Second time I have flown with Cathay Pacific last week and the HK to LHR leg was the best long haul flight I've been on because of the seat I chose. It was at the very back, a window seat with only one person next to me. Not sure which plane it was but there was plenty of room without having that sardine feeling. The only thing I don't like about Cathay is the food. Prefer the Middle East airlines cuisine.

grahamw48
6th December 2013, 00:39
Ah, those are the seats I've reserved. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

(Not RIGHT at the back, so I don't get some herbert leaning on my seat while he's hovering around the bogs :mad:).

Ako Si Jamie
6th December 2013, 20:28
Ah, those are the seats I've reserved. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

(Not RIGHT at the back, so I don't get some herbert leaning on my seat while he's hovering around the bogs :mad:).None of that on my flight. They were too busy chatting up the air hostesses.

Now don't get any idea's Graham. :icon_lol:

grahamw48
6th December 2013, 20:35
I would imagine these hostesses can take their pick...most likely in first class too. :cwm3:

Terpe
6th December 2013, 21:01
I would imagine these hostesses can take their pick...most likely in first class too. :cwm3:

You might be surprised Graham...............:wink:

Michael Parnham
6th December 2013, 21:03

You'll be asking for an upgrade now Graham!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
6th December 2013, 21:06
Nah. I'm too proud....hate brown-nosing.

I know my place ! :biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
6th December 2013, 21:16
True.

I'd like to travel first class one day just to see what it's like. Wouldn't like to pay for it though. :icon_lol:

grahamw48
6th December 2013, 21:25
My son did when he was 9.

They upgraded him...Manila to Manchester. :cwm24:

Now I have to ask my child what it's like in First Class. :doh

marksroomspain
6th December 2013, 22:32
Flew with Emirates, Qatar and Ethiad and found Ethiad the best especially the Man to Abu Dhabi really nice spacious planes both legs there and back half full, the Abu Dhabi to Manila not as good but overall the best out of the 3...:smile:

grahamw48
6th December 2013, 22:38
That's who I'm going with Mark (as I did last trip). :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
7th December 2013, 09:30
I would imagine these hostesses can take their pick...most likely in first class too. :cwm3:By the time they scrape off the 2 inches of makeup, they probably look like Susan Boyle :omg:

grahamw48
7th December 2013, 10:55
What's wrong with Susan Boyle ? :cwm25: Sadly, she's a bit young for me. :biggrin:

gWaPito
7th December 2013, 23:08
Flew with Emirates, Qatar and Ethiad and found Ethiad the best especially the Man to Abu Dhabi really nice spacious planes both legs there and back half full, the Abu Dhabi to Manila not as good but overall the best out of the 3...:smile:

That's who we flew with last time....'Dial a flight' told us their planes are 9 seats wide..their competition are 10 seats wide........those extra few inches make the world of difference :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
8th December 2013, 02:44
To be honest, the one I went on last year was very cramped for legroom (important to me, as I'm over 6 foot).

Now on this new e-ticket of mine, it says 'extra legroom seat', which I didn't ask for, and fortunately haven't been charged the extra £40+ quid per journey section either ! :cwm24:

gWaPito
8th December 2013, 03:13
To be honest, the one I went on last year was very cramped for legroom (important to me, as I'm over 6 foot).

Now on this new e-ticket of mine, it says 'extra legroom seat', which I didn't ask for, and fortunately haven't been charged the extra £40+ quid per journey section either ! :cwm24:

Way to go, Graham :xxgrinning--00xx3: