PDA

View Full Version : English test to be a nurse here

robbie bobby
25th October 2013, 21:36
Hi all.

Got a question.

My wife needs to get a little more score on the IELTS to be a registered nurse here.

The problem being in Guernsey they do not do IELTS but they do ESOL.
The head of the college here said the equivalent score to IELTS 7 would be a C1 OR C2.

Does anyone know if the Nursing council will accept this kind of test or does it have to be IELTS?

I emailed them last week but still no reply and trying to get through to them on the phone is near impossible.

Thanks

Michael Parnham
25th October 2013, 22:08
I wouldn't have thought it mattered what English test Robbie, it's the score that's important! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

robbie bobby
25th October 2013, 22:56
On the Nurses and midwifery council webpage they only state the an IELTS test score of 7 or more will be accepted. They do not say they will accept any other equivalent :anerikke:

I wouldn't have thought it mattered what english test Robbie, it's the score that's important! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

marksroomspain
25th October 2013, 23:49
Hi all.

Got a question.

My wife needs to get a little more score on the IELTS to be a registered nurse here.

The problem being in Guernsey they do not do IELTS but they do ESOL.
The head of the college here said the equivalent score to IELTS 7 would be a C1 OR C2.

Does anyone know if the Nursing council will accept this kind of test or does it have to be IELTS?

I emailed them last week but still no reply and trying to get through to them on the phone is near impossible.

Thanks

Hi Robbie I have been doing some research for you and the Channel Islands are the same as the mainland ie: the NMC will only accept IELTS as a recognised English test to enrol as a nurse here at Level 7 in all categories.

My wife is going through the same predicament as your wife. Although its quite difficult to reach Level 7 - especially in academic rather than the general version of IELTS - it's achievable with plenty of study.

Just to let you know my wife has taken it twice and last time one of the scores was just 0.5 out and that's with a 9-month old baby to take care of :biggrin:.

Rest assured, with a lot of hard work, determination and support, she will achieve her dream. Good luck. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

robbie bobby
26th October 2013, 00:11
That's a real shame. She gained 6.5 in the academic IELTS before coming here. It was the only course going at the time and she didn't even study! :Brick:

Hi Robbie I have been doing some research for you and the Channel Islands are the same as the mainland ie: the NMC will only accept IELTS as a recognised English test to enrol as a nurse here at Level 7 in all categories.

My wife is going through the same predicament as your wife. Although it's quite difficult to reach Level 7 - especially in academic rather than the general version of IELTS - it's achievable with plenty of study.

Just to let you know my wife has taking it twice and last time one of the scores was just 0.5 out and that's with a 9-month old baby to take care of :biggrin:.

Rest assured, with a lot of hard work, determination and support, she will achieve her dream. Good luck. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

robbie bobby
26th October 2013, 00:13
Wait until I tell her.She will be gutted. The nearest place we can go is London and its not exactly near to Guernsey. Shocking! I will look to find out if they do it in Jersey. Theres always some kind of obstacle!!

She speaks better English than me come to think of it.

Arthur Little
26th October 2013, 01:39
She speaks better English than me come to think of it.

Aye, well ... :anerikke: ... that may be so, Robbie ... but (like me) you're a :Kilt: !

:peepwall: