PDA

View Full Version : Baby Blues

marksroomspain
22nd October 2013, 21:07
Can anyone answer whats the best thing to give a 9 month old baby with cold symptoms such as blocked nose cough etc...

A second night now with our son waking up every couple of hours with these symptons, my wife who is a nurse has used vicks vapour rub, fresh lemon juice and a saline nasal spray as she is concerned using anything else.

The poor little mite has gone off his food and its upsets us to see him like this, was just wondering if we should run him to the doctors to see what they say...

Doc Alan
22nd October 2013, 22:36
I understand your concern, and it’s helpful that your wife is a nurse. No doubt you’ve already had a look on the internet, but I’ve included three links here.

Infants may have several colds – caused by one of possibly 200 virus types - a year, and they usually get better with rest, plenty of fluids, and supportive treatment such as your wife is giving ( careful with the fresh lemon juice, and obviously don’t smoke in the vicinity ). “ Calpol infant suspension “ ( containing paracetamol ) should help.

Of course it’s NOT possible to give more than general advice – only you can gauge how ill your son is. But if

* his cold hasn’t improved after say 5 days,

* there is a fever ( over 38 degrees ),

* he is coughing up green, yellow or brown sputum ( infection ),

* there is difficulty breathing, or other signs like rubbing his ears ( again suggesting infection ),

then take him to your doctor to confirm it IS a “ common cold “ and rule out a “ bug “ / bacterial infection which would need antibiotics.

Good luck and I hope he gets well soon :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cold-common/Pages/Commoncoldinchildren.aspx

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a78/common-cold

http://www.calpol.co.uk/treatment-advice/paracetamol-or-ibuprofen

grahamw48
22nd October 2013, 22:41
We used to give our baby Calpol, when he showed similar symptoms...if it was just something mild. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Check with your doctor of course if you feel the need, as Doc Alan has suggested. :smile:

Rosie1958
22nd October 2013, 22:54
As recommended by Doc Alan, Calpol is brilliant, babies love it and it also helps them to sleep, as well as reducing a temperature.

I also always used Karvol drops too on either an item of clothing, muslin cloth or a handkerchief ....... it does the same job as Vicks Vapour Rub but doesn't come into contact with baby's sensitive skin. I do hope that your little one is feeling better soon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
22nd October 2013, 23:14
As stated above, Calpol is No1 in our book, making sure you get the correct one for his age :xxgrinning--00xx3:..Works a treat..Jobe, our youngest has only to smell the stuff and his symptoms clear :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Wife also keeps the boys in the shower longer when one or both have colds..the steam helps clears the airways. Firstly though, as Doc Alan states, get him down the doctor's :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I wouldn't panic Mark :NoNo:...Babies need to get these colds to build resistance although that doesn't help your current predicament of lack of sleep

BTW...Vick vapour rub should not be used on infants younger than 24 months old....The instructions point that out.

marksroomspain
22nd October 2013, 23:29
Cheers guys a well deserved rep on the way...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
22nd October 2013, 23:33
I understand your concern, and it’s helpful that your wife is a nurse. No doubt you’ve already had a look on the internet, but I’ve included three links here.

Infants may have several colds – caused by one of possibly 200 virus types - a year, and they usually get better with rest, plenty of fluids, and supportive treatment such as your wife is giving ( careful with the fresh lemon juice, and obviously don’t smoke in the vicinity ). “ Calpol infant suspension “ ( containing paracetamol ) should help.

Of course it’s NOT possible to give more than general advice – only you can gauge how ill your son is. But if

* his cold hasn’t improved after say 5 days,

* there is a fever ( over 38 degrees ),

* he is coughing up green, yellow or brown sputum ( infection ),

* there is difficulty breathing, or other signs like rubbing his ears ( again suggesting infection ),

then take him to your doctor to confirm it IS a “ common cold “ and rule out a “ bug “ / bacterial infection which would need antibiotics.

Good luck and I hope he gets well soon :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cold-common/Pages/Commoncoldinchildren.aspx

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a78/common-cold

http://www.calpol.co.uk/treatment-advice/paracetamol-or-ibuprofen

I'm happy to be responsible for your 3rd star :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3::heartshape1:

Dedworth
23rd October 2013, 00:38
I'd agree with Calpol but there are money saving alternatives out there :-

Calpol

Calpol is the bestselling baby and child pain and fever treatment. A 5ml teaspoon contains 120mg of paracetamol and a 200ml bottle (for children aged three months to six years) costs £3.90. You could, however, buy exactly the same amount of paracetamol for your baby for just over a third of the price if you are prepared to forgo the familiar packaging. A 200ml bottle of Enterprise Own Brand, containing the same 120mg dosage of paracetamol per 5ml, costs only £1.40.

There are, of course, a whole range of Calpol products to tempt you. Calpol Night, for instance, contains 12.5mg of a sedating antihistamine called diphenhydramine hydrochloride (£3.06 for 100ml). But even this comes in much cheaper forms: Medised contains the same dosages of exactly the same drugs, but is £2 cheaper (£4.33 for 200ml).

"The medication is exactly the same, and the generic brands are also sugar-free, with various flavours," says Nyss. "There's no meaningful difference - except for the marketing."

Terpe
23rd October 2013, 09:52
All this talk of Calpol really brings memories of a previous life long ago :olddude:

Amazing it's still going strong...by all accounts

Doc Alan
23rd October 2013, 14:46
Dedworth makes a very valid point :xxgrinning--00xx3:!

It’s a good idea always to look for “ non-proprietary “ ( generic ) medicines. They may be much cheaper, but make sure you’re buying them from a reliable source.

I think this is an important enough topic to justify a separate thread. See

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/49354-Cheap-drugs-make-sure-they-re-genuine-!?p=465176#post465176 .

marksroomspain
24th October 2013, 22:45
Just an update regarding my son, we took him to the docs today and he has been diagnosed with a viral infection.

After another sleepless night last night and projectile vomiting this morning we took him straight up.

We were told it will last 5 to 7 days so hopefully day 5 tomorrow will start to see some improvement.

Just want to thank everyone for their help and support and have posted his latest photo after the docs today...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
24th October 2013, 22:54
Let's hope he's feeling a bit better now, poor little mite. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

marksroomspain
24th October 2013, 23:13
Let's hope he's feeling a bit better now, poor little mite. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Graham...:smile:

Rosie1958
24th October 2013, 23:33
Just an update regarding my son, we took him to the docs today and he has been diagnosed with a viral infection.

After another sleepless night last night and projectile vomiting this morning we took him straight up.

We were told it will last 5 to 7 days so hopefully day 5 tomorrow will start to see some improvement.

Just want to thank everyone for their help and support and have posted his latest photo after the docs today...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Bless him, I do hope he is now over the worst and feeling much better soon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
25th October 2013, 00:04
Sorry I haven't responded to this thread earlier Mark ... the reason being that it's been more than 40 years since I've had any comparable dealings with children as young as your wee boy.

Having said that, I fully understand how anxious you and Jamie must've felt ... even though I'm led to believe babies of his age have a much greater resilience against infection than the average adult.

So pleased to read he's now on the mend. :smile: Nevertheless, please be assured all three of you will continue in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
25th October 2013, 08:26
Thanks for your update Mark, and best wishes for your son's full recovery :xxgrinning--00xx3:.