PDA

View Full Version : Bad Back

gWaPito
20th October 2013, 21:24
What is it about having a bad back :NoNo:...I'm 53 now...I've had this condition since an accident I suffered at the age of 19.

Luckily it only comes and goes every 2 or 3 years, putting me out for a week at a time. The last time was in May 2010. I was really surprised I got it again because due to life's stresses etc and starting my running again, I lost 10 kilos. so much for the condition to be related to being over weight:NoNo:..well, not in my case

I had a scan in 2010 only due to the fact I emptied my bowels at the same time..(you really wanted to know that..haha) anyway..The scan showed up 2 mashed discs (4th and 5th vert) with years of scaring.

According to the consultant, it wasn't worth replacing those discs and that my back will improve as I age :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Since 2008 I've lost my dad..an ex father in law..2 aunties..2 wives yet, nothing comes close to putting me into a spiral of depression more so than a bad back

I remember there was a famous 'Ocean 11' actor who did have the op on his back..he openly said he felt like doing himself away....I can symapathise:NoNo:

grahamw48
20th October 2013, 21:33
I can fully sympathise mate...having also done my back earlier on in life when lifting something in an awkward way. It comes back every few years if I'm not careful.

Also crushed a disc in my neck ages ago, and that can sometimes REALLY spoil my day. Had to call an ambulance to the house last year and get carted off to A & E. :NoNo:

gWaPito
20th October 2013, 21:41
I can fully sympathise mate...having also done my back earlier on in life when lifting something in an awkward way. It comes back every few years if I'm not careful.

Also crushed a disc in my neck ages ago, and that can sometimes REALLY spoil my day. Had to call an ambulance to the house last year and get carted off to A & E. :NoNo:

:icon_lol: I gotta lock the knifes away!!!

We got more in common than what I thought

grahamw48
20th October 2013, 22:18
My ex came at me with a carving knife in the kitchen once, then when I took it off her, started pulling off the kitchen wall units and smashing stuff.

I wasn't that worried, it was mentally adding up the cost as each item hit the deck that REALLY spoilt my day. :NoNo:

gWaPito
20th October 2013, 22:41
My ex came at me with a carving knife in the kitchen once, then when I took it off her, started pulling off the kitchen wall units and smashing stuff.

I wasn't that worried, it was mentally adding up the cost as each item hit the deck that REALLY spoilt my day. :NoNo:

:laugher: I shouldn't laugh :NoNo: but, I will :laugher::laugher::bigcry:

grahamw48
20th October 2013, 23:09
Blinkin wimmin. You'd think butter wouldn't melt in her mouth :biggrin:....

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6581/pyss.jpg

gWaPito
21st October 2013, 00:14
Not from that pic, you wouldn't :NoNo:

Pete/London
21st October 2013, 01:44
I too have back problems, herniated lower discs and take opiate based painkillers that really chill you out. Been offered an operation but when I was told what could go wrong decided to stick with what I`ve got. When the pain really hits it drops me to a heap on the floor and I have to breathe really slowly and shallow.
Trouble with the neck as well, I sometimes forget and do the stretch and twist of the neck , that brings really painful headaches, I feel like giving it a stretch with a rope from the stairs but if it went wrong could only imagine the news reports something like sex games gone wrong:smile:
Minds willing but body ready for the knackers yard:smile:

Arthur Little
21st October 2013, 02:05
:laugher: I shouldn't laugh :NoNo: but, I will :laugher::laugher::bigcry:

:nono-1-1: ... especially rolling around the floor like so! :yeahthat:
Hopefully, your discomfort will soon ease. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
21st October 2013, 02:19
Seriously, :icon_rolleyes: ... my sympathies are with those who are prone to back pain. :bigcry:

gWaPito
21st October 2013, 02:57
I too have back problems, herniated lower discs and take opiate based painkillers that really chill you out. Been offered an operation but when I was told what could go wrong decided to stick with what I`ve got. When the pain really hits it drops me to a heap on the floor and I have to breathe really slowly and shallow.
Trouble with the neck as well, I sometimes forget and do the stretch and twist of the neck , that brings really painful headaches, I feel like giving it a stretch with a rope from the stairs but if it went wrong could only imagine the news reports something like sex games gone wrong:smile:
Minds willing but body ready for the knackers yard:smile:

I haven't got the neck problem thank goodness..my back is enough for me to deal with.....It hardly happens, like I said, it crops up once every 2 or 3 years but when it does, it's still a shock to me:NoNo:...Not the pain, I would never get used to the pain. It's the shock of it keep coming back to haunt me!!...I'm doing all I can.... after over 30 years it's still hanging around:NoNo:.....The consultant planted the placebo by telling me the attacts will decline as I get older...so their was me thinking, happy days!!!.....at least this time, I'm alone in the house:smile:....there's nothing worse that having your wife and kids looking pitifully upon you :NoNo:

Speaking which...I remember going down to floor with my back in 87'....My then, good lady was hanging the washing..Emma, my daughter went to tell her, dad was on the floor and not doing his jobs...It wasn't very nice of Em to say that, as the wife was going through her 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after PMT routine...she came running into the house, gave me a load of verbal and stamped on my head!!..happy days indeed

gWaPito
21st October 2013, 03:06
:nono-1-1: ... especially rolling around the floor like so! :yeahthat:
Hopefully, your discomfort will soon ease. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If only 'rolling around the floor' was possible :NoNo:.......discomfort has eased thanks, Arthur :smile:...Which means I can get my boys later today :smile:....I've been worried sick about that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pete/London
21st October 2013, 09:29
It wasn't very nice of Em to say that as the wife was going through her 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after PMT routine...she came running into the house, gave me a load of verbal and stamped on my head!!..happy days indeed

Did it help? :biggrin:

grahamw48
21st October 2013, 09:33
Sometimes replacing one pain with another can be effective. :icon_lol:

Doc Alan
21st October 2013, 17:14
I sympathise with you GwaPito, and everybody else having back pain .

You’re not alone. It’s a major public health problem worldwide. Up to 4/5 people may have low back pain at some time in their lives ; 1/5 adults may be suffering now ; and 1/8 are disabled / seriously affected by it. Mechanical factors like lifting and carrying often don’t have a major role. Genetic constitution – which you can do nothing about – is thought to be important.

No doubt anyone suffering from this or related conditions will have consulted their doctor, or at least the internet ( this link is as good as any :-
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Back-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx ).

Fortunately it’s often self-limiting. What we call “ red flag “ ( serious ) symptoms include :-

• Age less than 20, or over 55 for first symptoms

• Acute ( sudden ) onset in elderly people

• Constant or worsening pain

• Pain at night

• Fever, night sweats, or weight loss

• History or signs of cancer

• Pain also affecting both legs

• severe upper back pain

Detailed investigations are ONLY necessary if such symptoms are present. The cause very much depends on the age of the patient, and it’s worth repeating that in MOST cases there is neither a serious cause, nor is surgery needed :smile:.

Most DO get better on their own, with painkillers, positive attitude, moderate exercise ( not prolonged bed rest as in the past ), and maybe physiotherapy :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Arthur Little
21st October 2013, 18:39
......discomfort has eased thanks, Arthur :smile:...Which means I can get my boys later today :smile:....I've been worried sick about that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Glad to read that, Mark ... thanks for updating us - and also for adding to my rep points - I trust your boys' visit went well. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
21st October 2013, 22:07
Did it help? :biggrin:

When I didn't get up she realised I wasn't messing around and called the doctor.....In those days (early 80s) they actually came out :xxgrinning--00xx3:

How times have changed:NoNo:...today, I could of had her thrown out the house and done for assault...we didn't do that back then, It didn't cross our minds :NoNo:...all was fair in love and war :smile::xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
21st October 2013, 22:11
Glad to read that, Mark ... thanks for updating us - and also for adding to my rep points - I trust your boys' visit went well. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just got the eldest off to sleep, thanks Arthur :smile::xxgrinning--00xx3:...I've straightened the house:biggrin: and put the washing in the tumbledryer...I got peace now for 90 minutes then I'll iron before I sleep..all good fun :wink::xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
22nd October 2013, 06:22
over the years i often have lower back pain seems to come on out of the blue and without any reason, it goes into muscle spasms so that i cant move without muscles contracting and causing more pain which brings me to my knees, last year my doc told me its arthritis in my back :Erm:

grahamw48
22nd October 2013, 08:11
Perhaps all the extra back exercises you'll be getting now will strengthen it Stewart. :smile:

Anyway, I hope you and your lovely lady are enjoying life there in the sun. :xxgrinning--00xx3:You're missing nothing here. The weather is rubbish ! :thumbsdown: