PDA

View Full Version : the cost of living in the phils for each other

stevewool
11th October 2013, 21:40
well its been asked many many times and will be asked many more i believe too, but i was asking Ems tonight what would the cost be per day if we had our own place so no rent , but food and the bills to pay, i was shocked with the answer, around £10 per day, sometimes more sometimes less too, all depends on what you are prepared to eat plus where you are living also,
This got me thinking why am i here trying to save save and save some more, yes you do need something behind you for the just incase things but how much is that, £20,000, £50,000, £100,000, or even £200,000, if you have an income coming in each month and thats say is £700 a month, surely that should be enough to last you if you decide to leave England sooner then later,
Yes this can all change if you have to pay rent and run a car and so on, trips back to England also

Michael Parnham
11th October 2013, 22:04
well its been asked many many times and will be asked many more i believe too, but i was asking Ems tonight what would the cost be per day if we had our own place so no rent , but food and the bills to pay, i was shocked with the answer, around £10 per day, sometimes more sometimes less too, all depends on what you are prepared to eat plus where you are living also,
This got me thinking why am i here trying to save save and save some more, yes you do need something behind you for the just incase things but how much is that, £20,000, £50,000, £100,000, or even £200,000, if you have an income coming in each month and thats say is £700 a month, surely that should be enough to last you if you deside to leave England sooner then later,
Yes this can all change if you have to pay rent and run a car and so on, trips back to England also

Yes Steve £700 per month is more than enough, you could even save out of that amount! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

purple
11th October 2013, 22:06
Hi Steve.. My mother and stepfather lives in Cebu and to give you an idea, I will tell you the approximate cost of living based on their incomes and expenditures.
My parents have couple of flats in Portsmouth at over £500 each flat pcm and about £600 pension... No car to maintain and fuel. No children and no close or distant relatives to help, house owned, got other properties that is let in Phils. And that income enough to cover bills, foods, commute expenses and other day to day. I must tell you that none of them travels abroad (done this, done that sort of thing) and that income suffice their daily living. To say that they don't even use air con at home!

So whether its £50,000 -£200,000 savings, it will never be enough. Philippines can be expensive place to live if you are used to European standards way of living... Trust me I have been back there 3 times this year... Not to sound as show off. And this what I always tell to my husband.. To have a trial move minimum of 2 years. But if you live how average Filipinos do then good luck.

stevewool
11th October 2013, 22:16
Hi Steve.. My mother and stepfather lives in Cebu and to give you an idea, I will tell you the approximate cost of living based on their incomes and expenditures.
My parents have couple of flats in Portsmouth at over £500 each flat pcm and about £600 pension... No car to maintain and fuel. No children and no close or distant relatives to help, house owned, got other properties that is let in Phils. And that income enough to cover bills, foods, commute expenses and other day to day. I must tell you that none of them travels abroad (done this, done that sort of thing) and that income suffice their daily living. To say that they don't even use air con at home!

So whether its £50,000 -£200,000 savings, it will never be enough. Philippines can be expensive place to live if you are used to European standards way of living... Trust me I have been back there 3 times this year... Not to sound as show off. And this what I always tell to my husband.. To have a trial move minimum of 2 years. But if you live how average Filipinos do then good luck.

wow so much coming in, i may be a Englishman trying to live in the phils, but i have no intention of living like i live here, as long as its safe and clean, electric and running water, i should be fine i hope :icon_lol:

mikeh
13th October 2013, 17:22
The issue which always concerns me is healthcare .

If you are unlucky enough to come down with a serious condition the cost even in RP can be ruinous.

Comprehensive heath insurance If available would be very expensive I think.

For me the solution in a few years when me and my wife may go to back to her hometown or somewhere nearby would be to live in Philippines part of the year ( the winter :36_1_26[1]: maintain a small place to live in UK and get any treatment on the NHs if need.

Pessimistic ? No realistic 12 years ago I was living and working in Thailand and found out I had cancer. Fortunately I did have insurance who paid all the bills (for 2 operations and a month in hospital) till I was fit enough to come back to the UK. I'm sure you'll all be glad to know and made a complete recovery:Jump:

As I hadn't sold my house I was able to return home without too many problems.

I have heard too many stories about couples relocating to Phils, then something goes wrong and they need to move back but having sold up before they left now find they are homeless living with family and on the council waiting list, or if they are lucky being able to buy a much smaller house than they lived in before.

stevewool
13th October 2013, 18:03
we shall have a house here in england always and like you say come back here every so often just to show of my tan:icon_lol::icon_lol:,
Insurance i believe will be to much to pay for either monthly or per year but, thats another thing to think about

stevewool
13th October 2013, 18:04
whether i am right or wrong healthcare is not number 1 on my list,

joebloggs
13th October 2013, 18:11
whether i am right or wrong healthcare is not number 1 on my list,

i think it should be, not just for you and your wife, but her family if they cant afford to pay, who will pay :NoNo: been thru this myself with my stepsons wife and he has paying for his mother in laws emergency op :NoNo:

stevewool
13th October 2013, 18:20
each to there own, i have read about phils healthcare, maybe once over there may look into something like that, but like i said its not number 1

Terpe
13th October 2013, 18:29
Healthcare is a bit of an unknown imo
Free at point of use NHS is technically not available to anyone who has been out of UK for 3 months or more.Period.
Strictly speaking you'd need to promise that you're here in UK to settle permanently and that if you decided to leave UK for more than 3 months you'll pay for any treatment you received.

Apart from that, does anyone knows how the NHS will be operating in say 3 yrs / 5 yrs / 10 yrs ??
It's widely acknowledged that the existing funding model is unsustainable

When living in the Philippines the major issue (from my experience) is actually getting to a good hospital for emergency treatment. Better take special care on exactly where you live.

Most folks I know rely on CC insurance (Credit Card)

I do agree that in the case of serious long term illness the current best strategy is to return to UK. Just be sure your wife has British Citizenship or another problem faces you when she's been out of UK for 2 years or more.

Hey ho.....best to be philisophical about life and fill the unforgiving minute.
Only one thing is certain.

stevewool
13th October 2013, 18:49
if only i can put it down on paper what i am thinking , it would sound just like what you have said Peter, :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
13th October 2013, 18:52
so if my home is here in England and all the bills are paid,Ems is a British citizen with British passport and we go on holiday lots, but always return to our home here in the uk we should be fine concerning any major health issues

Terpe
13th October 2013, 19:26
so if my home is here in England and all the bills are paid,Ems is a British citizen with British passport and we go on holiday lots, but always return to our home here in the uk we should be fine concerning any major health issues

In principle Yes :xxgrinning--00xx3:
(within NHS budget constraints) :biggrin: