PDA

View Full Version : three cemeteries in france

stevewool
6th October 2013, 16:03
when visiting northern france you have to visit the beaches plus the war graves of so many who gave there life for freedom, very moving and makes you wonder do we even learn from scenes like these849884998500850185028503 the top 2 are from the American cemetery, the next 2 are from the British cemetery, then the German cemetery

lordna
6th October 2013, 18:50
Shocking that so many were killed in action. Even more shocking is that most of us here in the UK have probably one or more ancestors buried there and killed in action during the great war. 4 in my family.

Dedworth
6th October 2013, 22:14
Very sobering places.

I've not been to any in France but I've been twice to Oosterbeek - Arnhem and Eindhoven in Holland, there are hundreds of aircrew graves in the Eindhoven one shot down in the area whilst on bombing missions to Germany. Mainly very young fellas who died in their prime

jake
7th October 2013, 04:27
Visited in 1988, as my friend worked maintaining the gardens for the War Grave Commission. At the time they were very well kept and hopefully that has continued.

When you walk around and look at the ages, you realize how many young lads gave there lives for their country and not some stupid government.

stevewool
7th October 2013, 06:54
amazing clean and beautiful places to sit and ponder, there ages like you say are so different, the American and British so young , yet the German being young too, there seemed to be more between 30 and 40 years of age

stevewool
7th October 2013, 06:57
Just in these three cemeteries there was over 35,000 remains of people buried there, there Germans was buried together side by side