PDA

View Full Version : What's in my picture

stevewool
2nd October 2013, 18:45
Well here we was on the early morning ferry and I was waiting for the sun to appear and along it pops,after taking different shoots and there appears to be something between me and the sun, and it's not a seagull either, I think I have taken a few shoots of mercury in front of the sun,can this be right, I have 3 pictures they are very clear that there is a round thing passing the sun, what's your thought??

lordna
2nd October 2013, 18:51
Very unlikely....A transit of Mercury across the Sun takes place when the planet Mercury comes between the Sun and the Earth, and Mercury is seen as a small black dot moving across the face of the Sun.
Transits of Mercury with respect to Earth are much more frequent than transits of Venus, with about 13 or 14 per century, in part because Mercury is closer to the Sun and orbits it more rapidly.
Transits of Mercury occur in May or November. The last three transits occurred in 1999, 2003 and 2006; the next will occur in 2016.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Mercury

stevewool
2nd October 2013, 21:21
Well thanks for a very good reply, it's a planet I am sure,well there are a few to chose still

stevewool
3rd October 2013, 11:09
Well after lots of looking and seeing the picture again and again, it seems I have taken a picture of the planet Venus passing across the sun,this was taken on a moving ship while holding the camera too, who's a clever boy then:xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
3rd October 2013, 14:05
well I can,t see the pictures so I can,t tell you if your a clever boy or not :biggrin:

stevewool
3rd October 2013, 17:11
well I can,t see the pictures so I can,t tell you if your a clever boy or not :biggrin:

Have to wait till I am back in England ,then you can see it

lordna
3rd October 2013, 17:30
Well after lots of looking and seeing the picture again and again, it seems I have taken a picture of the planet Venus passing across the sun,this was taken on a moving ship while holding the camera too, who's a clever boy then:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Transits of Venus are among the rarest of predictable astronomical phenomena.[1] They occur in a pattern that generally repeats every 243 years, with pairs of transits eight years apart separated by long gaps of 121.5 years and 105.5 years. The periodicity is a reflection of the fact that the orbital periods of Earth and Venus are close to 8:13 and 243:395 commensurabilities.[2][3]
The last transit of Venus was on 5 and 6 June 2012, and was the last Venus transit of the 21st century; the prior transit took place on 8 June 2004. The previous pair of transits were in December 1874 and December 1882. The next transits of Venus will be 10–11 December 2117, and in December 2125.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Venus

Sorry Steve...this looks unlikely too!
Mind you i am absolutely dying to know what it is you have photographed!

stevewool
3rd October 2013, 20:59
Well seems like you have shot me down again it seems lordna, what ever it is it's a small round thing in the bottom half on the sun, towards the right hand side, the sun is a big red blob and this is a dark spot on it, I better check my lens just in case there is the same round dot on all my pictures

SimonH
3rd October 2013, 21:02
It's your thumb :xxgrinning--00xx3: try moving it out the way of the lense :biggrin:

stevewool
3rd October 2013, 21:05
It's your thumb :xxgrinning--00xx3: try moving it out the way of the lense :biggrin:

Well the boat was moving quick and there was a swell too,could have been someone's lump of sick coming from above passing my lens

lordna
3rd October 2013, 21:22
Well the boat was moving quick and there was a swell too,could have been someone's lump of sick coming from above passing my lens

Hmmmm!.....think i prefer your idea of a planet Steve!