PDA

View Full Version : Sky Tv how to get huge discount

les_taxi
24th September 2013, 13:08
For the second year in a row i have negotiated a great deal on Sky.
Here is what I did, Last year i got notice of price increase from £64 to £67 :yikes:
I thought no way hosey :biggrin:
My package is large (shouldn't brag :hubbahubba:) I have all channels and HD etc.
So after contacting them i got the usual we will knock it down to £40 rubbish but I said no and called their bluff and said please disconnect me I'm skint :NoNo:

They did switch me off :bigcry:
But I waited patiently and after about a month got my 75% discount voucher bringing the price to just over £20 a month :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I rejoined and its been great for a year :Jump:
Then today I noticed they had taken £67 out of my account :censored:

I rang and said cant afford it, after lots of bullshit banter they went to check with supervisor and came back with £39 offer
No way so i said I'm sorry but i will leave it, don't want to go but cant really afford it (I praised them etc :icon_lol:)
2 mins later they came back with my 75% offer again :laugher:
I then thought push em a bit more so I said ok but you have charged me £67 this month so they agreed to use that as credit for my next two bills :xxgrinning--00xx3:
So a result (I am a savvy yorkshireman) Sky tv full package hd for just over £20 a month instead of £67
It is so worth doing, secret is be nice, have a chat about any old crap, say you love sky but since work is quiet etc etc - go for sympathy vote

Just remember even at £20 they are making money - the signal is sent to everyone whether you're a customer or not, if you leave they get nothing. All they do is enable your sky box.
Good luck if you have a go at it, just think I have gone from potentiality paying £800 a year to just over £240: xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
24th September 2013, 13:12
:Erm:

maybe they think getting something is better than nothing, as you've already have everything installed :cwm25:

les_taxi
24th September 2013, 13:25
:Erm:

maybe they think getting something is better than nothing, as you've already have everything installed :cwm25:

Yes if I go away its £20 quid less for them with no savings on operational costs, they probably want me to keep stum on this.................. Whoops :icon_lol:

Dedworth
24th September 2013, 14:22
Thanks for reminding me Les, I'm paying about £24 for a lot of stuff we no longer watch.

I'll have to get onto them and threaten them with cancellation citing some job loss story or similar

grahamw48
24th September 2013, 14:32
Have you NO shame ? :NoNo:

Me neither....got my Virgin reduced by half, and my AA membership too...oh, and my car insurance knocked down.

They've made plenty out of me, so sod em. :biggrin:

raynaputi
24th September 2013, 15:27
We can't do it here, we only have Sky where we live, hence Keith can't threaten them of disconnecting the line. :NoNo: Keith asked them to cut the movie channels early this year because we rarely watch movies from there (new movies are available online for free :biggrin:) just to cut the bills.

chino
24th September 2013, 17:14
that is a very good deal...

I found out that with streaming online and freeview - i don't need sky....

Hands down though, that is a good deal...

les_taxi
24th September 2013, 17:39
Have you NO shame ? :NoNo:

Me neither....got my Virgin reduced by half, and my AA membership too...oh, and my car insurance knocked down.

They've made plenty out of me, so sod em. :biggrin:
Yes me too with AA :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
24th September 2013, 20:05
You will probably get a big discount if you include MUTV in the package.:laugher:

les_taxi
24th September 2013, 21:12
Calling all Leeds fans especially the service crew,please call to see Andy he is a West Brom fan and even though he is an endangered species I think you should all remember how his team robbed you of two league titles in the 70s:biggrin:

andy222
24th September 2013, 21:27
Just a follower Les fans buy tickets.:wink:

Pete/London
24th September 2013, 21:56
I have been doing it for years Les and at the moment have the full package with new HD box for £33. They took me right to the edge this time and was without it for 3 weeks.

Just a thought on the HD, my Panasonic tv is a 6 year old viera but I cant really see any difference between HD and normal. Either my tv is fantastic on all programs or useless in HD:Erm:

les_taxi
24th September 2013, 23:15
I have been doing it for years Les and at the moment have the full package with new HD box for £33. They took me right to the edge this time and was without it for 3 weeks.

Just a thought on the HD, my Panasonic tv is a 6 year old viera but I cant really see any difference between HD and normal. Either my tv is fantastic on all programs or useless in HD:Erm:
If you have hd tv I have same as you there is a big difference in quality,just try switching from bbc1 to bbc1 hd

Lancashirelad
25th September 2013, 01:30

Do you have it connected to your TV with a hdmi lead or a hd component leads? Otherwise you won't get the HD resolution.

grahamw48
25th September 2013, 09:31
I got some new glasses last week...10 years since my last eye test.

My TV is amazing now...crystal clear and like brand new ! :cwm24:

My god the house needs a dust though. :grosyeux:

Pete/London
25th September 2013, 10:02
All connected with leads in the right place, just don't notice that much difference. Graham might have hit on something :smile:

les_taxi
25th September 2013, 10:23
Is your tv full hd?
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whats-difference-hd-ready-full-hd/

Pete/London
25th September 2013, 12:49
I have the TH 42PX60B HD ready, and has a good picture anyway.

Iani
25th September 2013, 13:01
Really stupid question, but have you...

a. Connected the tv to the skybox/freesat box using a HDMI cable? (ps DO NOT pay £50 or something stupid for a HDMI cable at such as Currys. It is digital and you could connect using a rusty paperclip, the quality would be the same. There are some extremely good ones on Amazon for a fiver)

b. Possibly a bit more complex, in the settings for the skybox/freesat, is the output to hi def? It should say either 720p, 1080i or 1080p.
If it is outputting SD at 480p then it's simply not hi definition and you won't notice a scrap of difference.

Pete/London
25th September 2013, 14:28
Yep, all connected properly and set to 1080i, are you all sure it really makes that much difference :Erm:

I will ask my son later for his opinion.
No good asking my wife, she walks around with her tab watching PI soaps :doh

les_taxi
25th September 2013, 15:30
Well it's an odd one as the hd picture should be lots clearer than a standard one:Erm:

KeithD
25th September 2013, 16:12
If you compare BBC1 to BBC1 HD then you will clearly see a difference. However, when you are just watching HD, your brain will filter all of the additional information out, and you naturally process no more information than if you were watching a normal channel.

Pete/London
25th September 2013, 16:24
So they only broadcast in HD for the first 10 minutes, after that no body notices :biggrin:

grahamw48
25th September 2013, 16:54
After 10 minutes I'm usually asleep anyway. :icon_lol:

My Xbox is in HD though. :drivingx:

les_taxi
25th September 2013, 17:35
My ps3 too which i use to watch Blu-rays now thats proper hd :biggrin:

grahamw48
25th September 2013, 19:09
Clearly we are children of the 21st century Les. :xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin:

Arthur Little
25th September 2013, 19:14
:icon_sorry:, Les ... I realise this post's :icon_offtopic: ... but I've just observed Ded's encountered a technical problem with Firefox on one of his PCs.

Thread title: 'Problems posting to & searching the forum' refers.

Probably could do with your :Help1:!

les_taxi
25th September 2013, 19:53
My answer is to ditch Firefox and use Chrome :icon_lol:
I used to like firefox but it's slower and not the 'in browser' anymore - apart from that I'm not sure what to suggest :Erm:

Michael Parnham
25th September 2013, 20:53
If you compare BBC1 to BBC1 HD then you will clearly see a difference. However, when you are just watching HD, your brain will filter all of the additional information out, and you naturally process no more information than if you were watching a normal channel.

True! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
25th September 2013, 23:26
Tbh, I don't watch much television at all, really. :nono-1-1: ... way too many repeats - coupled with a glut of zany American comedies on ALL the channels (including 'Freeview') - for my liking.

Terpe
26th September 2013, 19:26
Tbh, I don't watch much television at all, really. :nono-1-1: ... way too many repeats - coupled with a glut of zany American comedies on ALL the channels (including 'Freeview') - for my liking.

Must admit I'm the same Arthur........hardly watch TV...............I catchup on iPlayer with stuff that interests me but that's about it.
I quit Sky 12 months ago.........

Michael Parnham
27th September 2013, 08:06

Can't believe the amount of money people pay just to watch TV Arthur!:Erm:

grahamw48
27th September 2013, 08:29
Any tips on which is the cheapest/most reliable broadband only deal ?

I'm thinking of kicking my TV (and landline) into touch too, as I watch very little television myself, and then only what I could get on freeview anyway. :Erm:

SimonH
27th September 2013, 08:34
I'd leave it few months and wait till 4G is more widely available then you wont need your landline anyway :smile:

les_taxi
27th September 2013, 09:39
I think that £20 odd a month for Sky and then there is the tv licence to pay for still is fair.
Dont know how much it is to go to cinema these days but bet it's quite expensive.
To go to football matches would cost me close on £100 all in for one game:yikes:
True there is lots of crap on tv but you get to see some great stuff lie idiot abroad,anything by Brian cox,The Ashes series,etc etc
If you staying in you not spending money going out as I know when I have a night out I spend shed loads :icon_lol:

grahamw48
27th September 2013, 10:23
Just going to get my Xbox repaired...already. :cwm3:

Michael Parnham
27th September 2013, 10:34
I think that £20 odd a month for Sky and then there is the tv licence to pay for still is fair.
Dont know how much it is to go to cinema these days but bet it's quite expensive.
To go to football matches would cost me close on £100 all in for one game:yikes:
True there is lots of crap on tv but you get to see some great stuff lie idiot abroad,anything by Brian cox,The Ashes series,etc etc
If you staying in you not spending money going out as I know when I have a night out I spend shed loads :icon_lol:

You know Les I've never had what you might call a night out, if I ever go out in an evening it's either Cinema (last film I ever watched in cinema was Lord of the rings) or visit someone's house for dinner (ten years since that happened) never eaten out in UK and have never been in a hotel in UK, been to an occasional bonfire and always had nice holidays, Cornwall, Scotland, Vancouver Island, Egypt, etc: never been to Europe though! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
27th September 2013, 10:35

I'm thinking of kicking my TV (and landline) into touch too, as I watch very little television myself, and then only what I could get on freeview anyway. :Erm:

BT Graham!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pete/London
27th September 2013, 11:47

Completely agree Les, I think its great value just for sport alone.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pete/London
27th September 2013, 11:51

I too think BT is pretty good but I am very happy with PlusNet, though you have to change your phone to them as well.
That`s not so bad as they are cheaper than BT, also the call centres are all UK based with a lovely Yorkshire accent most of the time.:smile:

grahamw48
27th September 2013, 13:50
Thanks guys....will investigate BT.

Better not try to flannel me with their Yorkshire accents though. http://imageshack.us/a/img194/8712/79w.gif

Terpe
27th September 2013, 17:50
I'm with BT.
So far so good. Get a reliable and good speed and useful and handy BT desktop tools if glitches happen.
A very small and neat wifi hub with good strength all over the house and in the garden.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I pay just a little bit extra to get unlimited download. Very useful especially with the Free BT access to sky sport (not that I've used it so far)..but I am a pretty heavy internet data user. Before I upgraded I did get hit a couple of times with over limit downloads.

grahamw48
27th September 2013, 18:00
That sounds reassuring. Thanks Peter. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
28th September 2013, 09:27
I'm with BT.
So far so good. Get a reliable and good speed and useful and handy BT desktop tools if glitches happen.
A very small and neat wifi hub with good strength all over the house and in the garden.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I pay just a little bit extra to get unlimited download. Very useful especially with the Free BT access to sky sport (not that I've used it so far)..but I am a pretty heavy internet data user. Before I upgraded I did get hit a couple of times with over limit downloads.

I did get Infinity for £1.80 Peter!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
28th September 2013, 14:40
I did get Infinity for £1.80 Peter!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Don't have Infinity in this area Michael.........folks in rural areas struggle with internet.

Michael Parnham
28th September 2013, 15:46
Don't have Infinity in this area Michael.........folks in rural areas struggle with internet.

Sorry to hear that Peter!:Erm:

grahamw48
28th September 2013, 17:33
Been shopping :biggrin:...back to the online racing shortly. :drivingx:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2926/l92u.jpg

raynaputi
28th September 2013, 17:46

Well, we still don't have 3G here in our place! :thumbsdown:

Terpe
28th September 2013, 20:02
Well, we still don't have 3G here in our place! :thumbsdown:

We just got reliable 3G on 2 networks May 2012

We've been promised 'ultra-fast' internet by 2017 :yikes:
I'll be sitting on a beach in Philippines by then and fast internet will just a dim memory :biggrin:

Well unless the cost of satellite internet comes down a whole lot...or 4G is very well rolled out over there..:xxgrinning--00xx3: