PDA

View Full Version : SIm card for phoning Phils?

highlander01
24th September 2013, 11:43
Hi - what do you use for phoning / texting the Phils?

I was going to get one of these ( disclaimer - I have no connection with the company - purely for information only. ) It seems pretty good - I can receive txts from the Ph for 1 peso.

http://www.smartpinoydos.co.uk

Michael Parnham
24th September 2013, 12:14
I use Lebara for calling or texting Philippines and a Philippine Smart sim for receiving texts. To obtain a Smart sim go on to Calling Now website and they will provide whatever you need!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
24th September 2013, 12:43
Hello Brian, tried to reply to your message, but can't work out how to reply properly, it's just trial & error. In answering your question, Yes my wife is from Siquijor and I have frequented the island many times, It's a very beautiful and unique island!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

malditako
24th September 2013, 13:24
i use skype to call my family in philippines. It cost me 10 pounds for like 60 to 70 mins airtime.

Michael Parnham
25th September 2013, 20:26
i use skype to call my family in philippines. It cost me 10 pounds for like 60 to 70 mins airtime.

Hello Grace, why do you have to pay for Skype?

grahamw48
25th September 2013, 21:04
Skype costs me nowt. :Erm:

It was just the make-up and wig that cost me money. :cwm25:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/GeorgeClooney_zps0d00d17f.jpg

raynaputi
25th September 2013, 22:36
Nice photo Graham! :xxgrinning--00xx3: :biggrin:

grahamw48
25th September 2013, 22:46
Well, we're so much alike ! :icon_lol:

fred
26th September 2013, 04:38

We have to pay for Skype so that I can contact my family on either their land line or mobile phones.. Cheap calls from here but not sure about UK to R.P?? Might be pricey.

aprilovez
26th September 2013, 11:36
my partner and I always use blackberry so we can talk anytime everyday day ... and now am coming uk i bought my mum a black berry so i can message her using bbm and also call her free using wifi in our house...

raynaputi
26th September 2013, 11:46
We have to pay for Skype so that I can contact my family on either their land line or mobile phones.. Cheap calls from here but not sure about UK to R.P?? Might be pricey.

I use Skype whenever I need to call my family (and even banks and Globe Telecom where I have accounts) in the Philippines (only if it's urgent). Otherwise, I just talk to my family through Facebook/Skype video chat. Below is the rate for Skype calls from UK to Philippines:

Pay As You Go - Philippines

Calling - per minute 1
excl. VAT
incl. VAT

Philippines
11.3p
13p

Philippines - Cebu
11.3p
13p

Philippines - Manila
11.3p
13p

Philippines - Mobile
14.10p
16.2p

1 A connection fee of 6.9p applies, unless otherwise indicated.

grahamw48
26th September 2013, 12:51
If you call this number from your home phone (not sure about mobile) , followed by the Phils number, including country code, it will cost you 7p or 8p a minute all inclusive: 0871 881 7777. :)

Terpe
26th September 2013, 20:12
If you call this number from your home phone (not sure about mobile) , followed by the Phils number, including country code, it will cost you 7p or 8p a minute all inclusive: 0871 881 7777. :)

That's a great tip, I'm sure we have that number 'logged'. You past posting.

From a mobile persepective we've also used Lebara and found it getting both expensive and sometimes unreliable.
Both our mobile phones are now on PAYG with a WorldSim SIM card. We find it cheaper than the contract tariff we previously had ...plus we can use it worldwide.
Well it suits us anyway.

highlander01
26th September 2013, 22:26
I guess another option is to use free international minutes on some tariffs ( eg Vodafone International top up £15 & get 100 free minutes. )

Some exclude the Philippines , including Orange's Camel tariff , which I found to my cost.

Michael Parnham
27th September 2013, 07:39

I thought Skype was only video chat and that's free, as for calls we find Lebara pay as you go cheapest!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
27th September 2013, 08:38
Yes, Skype videochat is free Michael, but if you want to phone people they charge you. (You have to open an account with them then I believe).

Michael Parnham
27th September 2013, 10:43
Also I will mention, From UK to Philippine land line its only 9p with Lebara!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

chino
28th September 2013, 17:17
heard of localphone ? i use them...

why just not get whatsapp/viber/tango and use 3G over here and wifi in the philippines for free calls?

malditako
29th September 2013, 12:45

sorry michael late post...but i think fred has answered your question. I paid skype to call my mum through her cellphone and landline. I can also send messages as well directly to her mobile.

London_Manila
30th September 2013, 02:02
Yahoo Messenger is free and works great on a iphone :smile: