PDA

View Full Version : Changes to 'knowledge of language and life' requirements and application details

Terpe
22nd September 2013, 08:06
20 September 2013

From 28 October 2013, unless they are exempt, all applicants for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen will need to meet the knowledge of language and life requirement by:
passing the life in the UK test; and
having a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.

For details of the new requirement please see the Changes to the knowledge of language and life requirements for settlement or naturalisation document on this website.

For an application for citizenship to be considered under the pre 28 October requirements, the application will need to be received by UK Visas & Immigration by Friday 25 October 2013 (the last working day before the change). We do not receive a postal delivery on Saturday or Sunday.

Source:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/85-koll?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ukborderagency+%28Immigration+news+and+updates%29

PAT
22nd September 2013, 12:07
Hello Terpe,thanks for posting.....:smile:

Terpe
22nd September 2013, 12:22
Hello Terpe,thanks for posting.....:smile:

Hi there PAT....hope life is good for you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

filbrit
7th October 2013, 13:37
It says....

"If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be
required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English
equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in
order to qualify settlement."

But my certificate will expire before I can apply for ILR. Doest it mean I will have to take an english test again? :(

raynaputi
7th October 2013, 15:49
It says....

Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be
required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English
equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in

But my certificate will expire before I can apply for ILR. Doest it mean I will have to take an english test again? :(

Thanks for highlighting this. My IELTS test cert is already expired. But I have a band score of 7, which is equivalent to C1 level. I'm thinking now, because of this paragraph you highlighted if I will not be required to take a further test when I apply for settlement. :Erm: I'm not sure who I can ask..:cwm25:

Michael Parnham
7th October 2013, 23:52
Thanks for highlighting this. My IELTS test cert is already expired. But I have a band score of 7, which is equivalent to C1 level. I'm thinking now, because of this paragraph you highlighted if I will not be required to take a further test when I apply for settlement. :Erm: I'm not sure who I can ask..:cwm25:

You've got us thinking now Rayna, Maritess band score was 5.5 and hers expires 8 days before her ILR application, is there any way of finding out?:Erm:

raynaputi
8th October 2013, 00:53
I just made a request to the Home Office via the Freedom of Information site regarding the matter above. You can view it here https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/english_requirement_for_ilr_natu#incoming-437505 and I hope we can get a clear response from them.

sars_notd_virus
8th October 2013, 01:47
this is taking the pi$$ed !! why would an english test certificate has some expiration...?? and if it did, why an examiner have to pay for it , ??it should come free:cwm25::Erm:

Michael Parnham
8th October 2013, 10:57
I just made a request to the Home Office via the Freedom of Information site regarding the matter above. You can view it here https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/english_requirement_for_ilr_natu#incoming-437505 and I hope we can get a clear response from them.

Thank you so much Rayna, we will await their reply in anticipation. By the way, is a score of 5.5 enough for B1? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
8th October 2013, 12:01
Thank you so much Rayna, we will await there reply in anticipation. By the way, is a score of 5.5 enough for B1?:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes Michael, it's enough. B1 level corresponds to an IELTS band score of 4. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf)

Michael Parnham
8th October 2013, 19:37
Yes Michael, it's enough. B1 level corresponds to an IELTS band score of 4. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf)

Thanks Rayna, will just hang on before booking another IELTS until you get a reply, by the way, Maritess ask's when are you taking your ILR?

bhem_bhem
8th October 2013, 20:09

hope they'll respond soon.. i'm thinking of sitting the exam next month..:smile:

raynaputi
8th October 2013, 20:16
Thank's Rayna, will just hang on before booking another IELTS until you get a reply, by the way, Maritess ask's when are you taking your ILR?

My FLR(M) is valid until 13 Feb 2015..so I still have more than a year to sit tight and relax..hahaha :biggrin:

quickwillow
9th October 2013, 18:58
It says....

My wife has been saying her IELTS certificate will expire before she needs to to apply for ILR next year. After reading these posts I have taken a close look at her certificate and can't see an expiry date. At the very top of the certificate it has

NOTE Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses should be based on the ACADEMIC Reading and Writing Modules
GENERAL TRAINING Reading and Writing Moduals are not designed to test the full range of language skills required for academic purposes.
It is recommended that the candidate's language ability in this Test Report Form be re-assessed after two years from the date of test.
There is no expiry date so to speak, just the above note, do yours say different?

raynaputi
9th October 2013, 20:10
My wife has been saying her IELTS certificate will expire before she needs to to apply for ILR next year. After reading these posts I have taken a close look at her certificate and can't see an expiry date. At the very top of the certificate it has

NOTE Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses should be based on the ACADEMIC Reading and Writing Modules
GENERAL TRAINING Reading and Writing Moduals are not designed to test the full range of language skills required for academic purposes.
It is recommended that the candidate's language ability in this Test Report Form be re-assessed after two years from the date of test.
There is no expiry date so to speak, just the above note, do yours say different?

I highlighted the part where it says the validity of the test report form. Also, check the photo I posted above (post #10). It says there the validity period of the IELTS test report form.

Moy
9th October 2013, 22:39
am on panic nowwwwwwwwwww:bigcry::bigcry::mad::Brick::grosyeux:

quickwillow
10th October 2013, 00:06
I highlighted the part where it says the validity of the test report form. Also, check the photo I posted above (post #10). It says there the validity period of the IELTS test report form.

Yup read all that, just wishful thinking, will wait to see the answer to your question on https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/english_requirement_for_ilr_natu#incoming-437505 or it's more :REGamblMoney01HL1:down the :action-smiley-082:

ConfusedMe
10th October 2013, 04:32
Thanks for this info Terpe.

Terpe
10th October 2013, 09:50
Take a look at this thread here (http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/45634-New-UKBA-Requirements-for-Settlement-and-Naturalisation)

Hopefully it will help.

Let's also wait for the FOI request of Rayna on validity clarifications :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
10th October 2013, 12:41
So all we require is whether we can use the IELTS pass certificate that has expired a few days before application of ILR! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
11th October 2013, 15:21
Bugger! :cwm23: Freaking Home Office sent a response to my FOI request but it's the automated "Thank you for contacting the Home Office. You can no longer use this email address for general immigration enquiries." BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! :xxaction-smiley-047 You can't really get a definite answer from the :censored:!!! :Brick:

Arthur Little
11th October 2013, 18:29
Bugger! :cwm23: Freaking Home Office sent a response to my FOI request but it's the automated "Thank you for contacting the Home Office. You can no longer use this email address for general immigration enquiries." BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! :xxaction-smiley-047 You can't really get a definite answer from the :censored:!!! :Brick:

Rayna ... :sorry-2: to read about the lack of a proper response to the well~worded FOI request you sent to the *Home Office 3 days ago.

Question now is: WHICH of *its departments does deal with enquiries like yours? :anerikke: ... wish I knew the answer! Thing is, Myrna came here in March 2009 ... a year and a half before these (in my opinion) totally unnecessary (for Filipinos anyway) **English Language Tests came into being ... hence I am, what you might say, "in the dark" as far as **they're concerned. :bigcry:

Peter would be the person most likely to know, I should imagine. Meanwhile, I'd like to acknowledge the time and effort you've put into this exercise on members' behalf ... :thankyou: You're a 'STAR' ... again! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
11th October 2013, 22:34
Thanks Rayna for attempting to find an answer ref IELTS validity when expired, I'm sure that if you find another route to obtain an answer you will inform the relevant members seeking this answer. I'm sure everyone really appreciate's your attempt to try and solve this issue! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tone
12th October 2013, 00:23
My wife is taking the LIUK test next saturday and I will be trying to get her application for ILR in on that day if she passes as she only managed an A1.
If She fails the LIUK then we will have to find her a course where the test is taken at the end of the course I believe. Her FLR expires in Feb 14 so will need to get it sorted before xmas.

I'm wondering as a plan B does anyone recommend any learning places for the English/LIUK test?

Thanks
Tone

Terpe
12th October 2013, 08:28
...Peter would be the person most likely to know, I should imagine. Meanwhile, I'd like to acknowledge the time and effort you've put into this exercise on members' behalf ... :thankyou: You're a 'STAR' ... again! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Afraid not Arthur....
It's a mighty important issue and one that probably should have been worded better in the written statements from Home Office/UKBA

Whenever there is a questionable statement it's always important (imo) to seek definitive clarity.

This is why Rayna has quite rightly requested a straight answer to a straight question. Hopefully that answer will be made sooner rather than later.

There are two key documents published by UKBA and filbrit has already indicated an extract from one of them:-

Changes to the Knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement for settlement and naturalisation (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/britishcitizenship/kol-uk) which states:-

If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement

The other one was from UKBA was issued and published as their Statement of Intent, changes to the requirement from October 2013 (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/182545/statement-of-intent-koll.pdf) which supports the above writing by stating the following:-

English Language Qualifications
We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 or above will be required to take another one. So, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage.

The following qualifications will be accepted:
• Qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list in the Immigration Rules, Appendix O. The SELT list is available at:
www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf

There's not any definitive clarity on certificate validity, although the intimation is that expired certificates are acceptable.
Sadly, intimation doesn't 'cut the mustard' for such important and expensive applications when dealing with such hard edged organisations like UKBA

Just my 2 centavos

Can't understand why UKBA have difficulty to provide a quick simple answer.

joebloggs
12th October 2013, 09:07
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/appendixo/

List of English language tests that have been approved by the Home Office for English language requirements for limited leave to enter or remain under the Immigration Rules

IELTS Test validity 2yrs

Terpe
12th October 2013, 09:31
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/appendixo/

List of English language tests that have been approved by the Home Office for English language requirements for limited leave to enter or remain under the Immigration Rules

IELTS Test validity 2yrs

Yes Joe, but there's nothing mentioned in the UKBA requirements for 28 October changes about certificate validity at settlement when B1 level was achieved and used for entry.
Intimation is that if B1 was achieved at entry then another test is not required.

Let's see what the outcome of the FOI request will be

joebloggs
12th October 2013, 09:52
what i think, you need a valid cert with at least B1 level from 28th Oct, and if your IELTS is over 2yrs it's not valid.

but lets hope I'm wrong :doh

Terpe
12th October 2013, 09:56
what i think, you need a valid cert with at least B1 level from 28th Oct, and if your IELTS is over 2yrs it's not valid.

but lets hope I'm wrong :doh

I think there's a lot of folks hoping you wrong with that one Joe :icon_lol:

Just a pity UKBA don't make it clear by adding that one word 'valid' :Erm:

joebloggs
12th October 2013, 10:03
I think there's a lot of folks hoping you wrong with that one Joe :icon_lol:

Just a pity UKBA don't make it clear by adding that one word 'valid' :Erm:

but maybe that's a good thing :wink: maybe they will have to have some sort of transition period.

my misses has had to take IELTS a few times for the GMC because of the expiry date :doh

Michael Parnham
12th October 2013, 10:39
Very interesting comments from both Peter and Joe, what it really needs is a test case, but alas it would become very costly. Will hold fire a little longer to see if Rayner comes up trumps with a result of some kind. Don't know what we would do without the knowledge of certain forum members, thankyou to them! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
21st October 2013, 13:03
Hi Rayna, any news yet ref validity of IELTS certificates?:Erm:

raynaputi
21st October 2013, 13:21
Hi Rayna, any news yet ref validity of IELTS certificates?:Erm:

No, nothing yet. I'm thinking of contacting my MP and ask him if he can ask the UKBA/Home Office since they're not replying to me. I'm guessing my MP can get a response. Maybe you and the others can do that too so we can all get a response just in case.

Terpe
21st October 2013, 15:00
No, nothing yet. I'm thinking of contacting my MP and ask him if he can ask the UKBA/Home Office since they're not replying to me. I'm guessing my MP can get a response. Maybe you and the others can do that too so we can all get a response just in case.

Rayna, out of interest when is the 'regulated' response meant to be made?
You should receive a response within 20 working days under The Freedom of Information (FoI) Act 2000.

Doesn't always happen, but it's meant to.
In this case I can't see any complication, but then again.............UKBA

Michael Parnham
21st October 2013, 15:20
Thanks for your quick response, will try! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

melovesengland
21st October 2013, 17:15
Ohhhhhh, this got me thinking now. I must say that they didnt make that statement very clear and it is a very clever move from Rayna to do some inquiries herself. I dont think in my own opinion that they will accept expired certificates for the simple reason that they have provided already the details of the approved english test, passing grades or marks and the expiry dates on that english test providers pdf file.

I hope they will get it clear as it will be such a great big help if they will allow those people like me, rayna and the rest not to sit and take an english test again.

Keep us posted.

raynaputi
21st October 2013, 17:45
Rayna, out of interest when is the 'regulated' response meant to be made?
You should receive a response within 20 working days under The Freedom of Information (FoI) Act 2000.

Doesn't always happen, but it's meant too.
In this case I can't see any complication, but then again.............UKBA

I requested for an internal review on 11 October. They said they will respond within 20 working days.

Terpe
21st October 2013, 18:14
I requested for an internal review on 11 October. They said they will respond within 20 working days.

:doh

I wonder why such a simple request is proving so difficult to answer......maybe they recognise the ambiguity of the wording and are thinking how to resolve :Erm:

raynaputi
21st October 2013, 22:14
:doh

I wonder why such a simple request is proving so difficult to answer......maybe they recognise the ambiguity of the wording and are thinking how to resolve :Erm:

To be honest, I don't even think someone's looking into it! :ReadIt::doh

gWaPito
21st October 2013, 22:56
Rayna ... :sorry-2: to read about the lack of a proper response to the well~worded FOI request you sent to the *Home Office 3 days ago.

Question now is: WHICH of *its departments does deal with enquiries like yours? :anerikke: ... wish I knew the answer! Thing is, Myrna came here in March 2009 ... a year and a half before these (in my opinion) totally unnecessary (for Filipinos anyway) **English Language Tests came into being ... hence I am, what you might say, "in the dark" as far as **they're concerned. :bigcry:

Peter would be the person most likely to know, I should imagine. Meanwhile, I'd like to acknowledge the time and effort you've put into this exercise on members' behalf ... :thankyou: You're a 'STAR' ... again! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I must agree :xxgrinning--00xx3:.....I got some time to kill at the moment so reading stuff I wouldn't normally...It's a bloody minefield...:NoNo:...You all have my sympathy

Michael Parnham
22nd October 2013, 06:39
Well, I've booked Maritess for this Saturday the 26th because they told me that General training will be discontinued after Saturday so everyone will have to take Academic from then on, also they told me score 5.5 is B2! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
22nd October 2013, 10:59
Well, I've booked Maritess for this Saturday the 26th because they told me that General training will be discontinued after Saturday so everyone will have to take Academic from then on, also they told me score 5.5 is B2! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

What do you mean by they will discontinue the GT exams? :Erm: Is that for the test centre only? Because I just saw that the university in Wrexham that does IELTS still have the GT exams till end of 2014.

melovesengland
22nd October 2013, 11:05
Maybe he meant that GT exam dates will finish this month for this year and resumes next year.

Michael Parnham
22nd October 2013, 14:22
What do you mean by they will discontinue the GT exams? :Erm: Is that for the test centre only? Because I just saw that the university in Wrexham that does IELTS still have the GT exams till end of 2014.
Rayna,
Sheffield are not doing any more GT at all, they said if want a GT exam after this month one must apply at Manchester!

Arthur Little
22nd October 2013, 18:14
Michael ... all the very best to Maritess for Saturday ... after which, you can both chill out and relax with the only G & T that I've ever heard of ... a nice, refreshing :biggrin: 'gin & tonic'! :Wine:

Michael Parnham
23rd October 2013, 16:48
Michael ... all the very best to Maritess for Saturday ... after which, you can both chill out and relax with the only G & T that I've ever heard of ... a nice, refreshing :biggrin: 'gin & tonic'! :Wine:

Thanks Arthur! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
23rd October 2013, 19:00

Sorry Michael, I somehow missed this post......
All best wishes to Maritess for Saturday :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm sure she'll be absolutely fine

Michael Parnham
23rd October 2013, 20:22

Thank you Peter! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
24th October 2013, 00:31
I dont know if this would help some of our members looking for answers regarding the new changes for the English test..very vital to read these links below as you can check the documents required with the application for ILR/Citizenship/levels covered by test /test validity and who awarded the English test/

links:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/statementsofchanges/2013/hc628.pdf?view=Binary
Appendix KOLL of the HC628 (pages 59-77)

Appendix ''O''

..I take it that some doesnt need to sit on another test , because it has no expiration and got a higher level speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent..but on the contrary some people who got a higher level of B1 but has the validity of 2years must sit on another test.

raynaputi
25th October 2013, 20:58
Okay, I just want to give an update on this.

One member of the immigration boards forum sent me a private message earlier regarding the English test concerns we have (I joined that forum when I was waiting for my FLR(M) so I can post my inquiries on their forum too). Anyway, I posted my same concern here on that forum. This member told me that he called the UKBA Croydon office and asked my inquiry in behalf of his wife (who has the same issue as me). The UKBA staff told him that "when it comes to settlement application the valid period of the language exam does not apply. Such valid period only apply to entry clearance applicant. Even though the qualification has expired if you apply for the settlement in UK it does not matter". But knowing the fact that UKBA staff say different stuffs all the time, I told him that I'm going to email my MP for him to inquire to UKBA so I have a written statement from them just in case. He said that he will do the same to be on the safe side.

Maybe the others here can do the same so we can really get a written answer. This would be a big peace of mind for someone who came here already having an English test with B1 level or above even if the test cert is already expired. Coz like what has been said before, I don't think someone's ability to speak English would downgrade once he/she comes to the UK.

robbie bobby
25th October 2013, 21:11
Is there any translation for IELTS or does it have to be this particular test?

raynaputi
25th October 2013, 21:13
Is there any translation for IELTS or does it have to be this particular test?

IELTS is just one of the approved tests. Check the list of the approved English tests from UKBA's website.

Terpe
25th October 2013, 21:19
Well done Rayna......that seems to support the published writings and statements of intent.

I feel more positive, but like you have almost zero confidence in UKBA telephone staff

tone
25th October 2013, 22:59
We went to learn direct today in Luton and got Rina's B1 done.
They took about 90 minutes walking her through a session on examples and then tested her.
I don't know what the score actually was as the certificate takes 2 weeks to come through, but was at least what immigration need.
So now I just need to fill in the ma mouth form and collect all the evidence in readiness for the PEO on the 19th Nov.
The cost of this was a shocking £250!!
But it's done and we can move on with life.

raynaputi
26th October 2013, 00:17
Hi Tone..If it's not too much to ask, when Rina submits her ILR application, is it okay if she can ask the UKBA staff/caseworker regarding the issue above (if an expired English test cert with B1 level mark or above is still acceptable for the settlement and naturalisation application)? Their response will be helpful to the members here. Thanks in advance! :smile:

I already sent an email to my MP regarding this and I hope he can get a response from UKBA. :ReadIt:

tone
27th October 2013, 00:15
Hi Tone..If it's not too much to ask, when Rina submits her ILR application, is it okay if she can ask the UKBA staff/caseworker regarding the issue above (if an expired English test cert with B1 level mark or above is still acceptable for the settlement and naturalisation application)? Their response will be helpful to the members here. Thanks in advance! :smile:

I already sent an email to my MP regarding this and I hope he can get a response from UKBA. :ReadIt:

Hi Rayna - of course it's no problem at all, I will be with her and will certainly ask.
Tone

Michael Parnham
9th November 2013, 14:58

Postie just been and delivered Maritess results for IELTS exam, Her score is 5.5, she will be over the moon when she arrives home from work!:REDancedancer08::appl::Jump::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
9th November 2013, 15:00
Postie just been and delivered Maritess results for IELTS exam, Her score is 5.5, she will be over the moon when she arrives home from work!:REDancedancer08::appl::Jump::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Many congratulations to Maritess :appl: :Jump:

Onwards and upwards :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
9th November 2013, 17:19

Michael ... I'm delighted to read your marvellous news; please also convey my sincere congratulations to Maritess when she arrives home from work. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
9th November 2013, 18:05
Congratulations to Maritess, excellent news :xxgrinning--00xx3:!

joebloggs
9th November 2013, 19:49

:xxgrinning--00xx3::Jump:

Michael Parnham
9th November 2013, 22:33
Thankyou so much Peter, Arthur Also Doc Alan and Joe, From Maritess.

ckman
12th December 2013, 16:47
Raynaputi, any reply from UKBA or your MP yet?

raynaputi
12th December 2013, 17:11
Raynaputi, any reply from UKBA or your MP yet?

MP sent a letter to the UKBA on 4th November but I haven't got any response yet..:thumbsdown:

ckman
12th December 2013, 20:08
This might be the answer some of us are looking for. Somebody from a different thread sent a similar enquiry to the Home Office. You can read the entire thread here http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=942845&sid=c638d7942f5f11e17c529ced3849221d

I have copied and pasted the response they got. Check it out below:

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for settlement and citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date.

Evidence that the applicant has achieved this qualification should be submitted with their application for settlement. When completing the Form SET(M) applicants should tick the box at section 5.2 which states that you have an English language speaking and listening qualification.

Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards

Mrs C Richards

Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit

Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office

Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.

Michael Parnham
12th December 2013, 23:34
I'm sure a reply will arrive in the none too distant future Rayna! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
13th December 2013, 00:01
This might be the answer some of us are looking for. Somebody from a different thread sent a similar enquiry to the Home Office. You can read the entire thread here http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=942845&sid=c638d7942f5f11e17c529ced3849221d

I have copied and pasted the response they got. Check it out below:

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for settlement and citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date.

Evidence that the applicant has achieved this qualification should be submitted with their application for settlement. When completing the Form SET(M) applicants should tick the box at section 5.2 which states that you have an English language speaking and listening qualification.

Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards

Mrs C Richards

Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit

Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office

Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.

WOOHOO!!!!! :Jump:

Thanks for that!!! A very deserved rep from me! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
13th December 2013, 00:08
Once I receive a response from UKBA, I will post the letter here and I'm hoping it's the same with the one ckman posted. Ckman's post is the 2nd time I've heard it from another person with the same answer from UKBA. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
14th December 2013, 15:37
Once I receive a response from UKBA, I will post the letter here and I'm hoping it's the same with the one ckman posted. Ckman's post is the 2nd time I've heard it from another person with the same answer from UKBA. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I can't remember where I posted this previously. Maybe should have made it a sticky.

Here's what the Home Office Statement of Intent says:-

English Language Qualifications
We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 or above will be required to take another one. So, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage.

I've highlighted the key part which seems to indicate that if B1 level is achieved already then no further tests are required.

However, this wasn't quite clear enough for many folks. Maybe as it mentioned Tier 2 but didn't make any mention to Spouse.
Subseqyently a good number of Freedom of Information questions were formally raised.

Here's one that was asked (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/settlement_ielts#incoming-446576) and received a successful response quoted below in part:-

The fact that an applicant’s qualifying English language certificate had expired would not prevent them from using their pass notification as evidence that they had reached level B1 (CEFR) English for a settlement or British citizenship application. They would not be expected to take another English
Language test, but will need to pass the Life in the UK test.

This appears to provide the needed clarity to the stated Home Office position.

Here's another FOI reply here (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/knowledge_of_english_language#incoming-451622) which I show below:-

If your qualification is on the list of acceptable qualifications published on our website (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-...), you will not need to retake an English test. The expiry dates for those tests do not apply to settlement and citizenship applications. You should send your certificate with the application.

The important point being that the test certificate being held MUST still appear on the UKBA approved listing

raynaputi
14th December 2013, 15:48
This will be £135 money saved for me then! :Jump:

PAT
17th December 2013, 13:39

Hello Terpe, thank you. Generally speaking yes, it is with ups and downs. That is life hehehe....hope you and your family are ok as well. :smile:

raynaputi
8th January 2014, 15:02
I just got a reply from UKBA, via my MP, after 2 months of sending the inquiry! :thumbsdown: Anyway, the response is the same as what was posted in post #65, that the test result validity doesn't matter. That they will accept an expired test result if the grade/level is B1 and above. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
8th January 2014, 15:13
I just got a reply from UKBA, via my MP, after 2 months of sending the inquiry! :thumbsdown: Anyway, the response is the same as what was posted in post #65, that the test result validity doesn't matter. That they will accept an expired test result if the grade/level is B1 and above. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Firstly well done....you got an outcome :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Secondly though, I wonder why others who asked for clarification on the the very same issue received a Home Office reply??
I'm guessing it must only be down to another case of 'slipped through the net' .....(means incompetence) :icon_lol:

Michael Parnham
8th January 2014, 23:45
Well done Rayna, it's a pity they didn't reply sooner, could have saved me some money, but having said that will one need a valid IELTS result for citizenship? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

PAT
12th January 2014, 17:45

So far so good:smile:...there are ups and downs but that's life....:smile: thank you.

han
12th January 2014, 20:53

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Happy for that, now I can focus on reviewing the Life in The UK book, and hopefully be ready for March to take the test.

Michael Parnham
12th January 2014, 21:00
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Happy for that, now I can focus on reviewing the Life in The UK book, and hopefully be ready for March to take the test.

You'll be ok Han, good luck! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ckman
24th January 2014, 13:02
Can someone please tell me if my english qualification is acceptable for naturalisation???

OCR Level 2 Certificate in Adult Literacy

ckman
24th January 2014, 13:30
http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualification/Details/100_1323_4

Is this acceptable for naturalisation???