PDA

View Full Version : Airbus or Boeing for PAL's Manila-London flights?

Terpe
17th September 2013, 13:04
http://static.rappler.com/images/Ramon%20Ang%20UK%20trade%20minister%202013Sept17.jpg
Philippine Airlines president Ramon Ang (left) and UK trade minister Lord Stephen Green(right) exchange gifts to mark the local carrier's return to London after 15 years

A long-haul and wide-bodied unit of either Boeing or Airbus will be used in the November 4 Manila-London flights of legacy carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL).

Whether a US-made Boeing or Europe-made Airbus aircraft will be used for the route highlights how the rivalry between the two rival global manufacturers is present in Asian skies, including the Philippines. PAL was once a struggling local carrier but is now revived and aggressively expanding.

"We are utilizing either [Boeing] 777-300ERs and [Airbus] 340-300 for long haul," PAL president Ramon Ang replied when asked about on the carrier's choice aircraft for the route in a press conference on Tuesday, September 17.

"[For] long-haul [flights that involve] non-stop 13-hour [travel], you need to use 777 or 340's. Those are the only available airlines," he explained.

Boeing's 777 aircraft has a 370-seat capacity, while Airbus A340 has 264.

PAL's return to the United Kingdom after 15 years was marked by a "renewal of ties" ceremony with UK Trade Minister Lord Stephen Green of Hurstpierpoint in Makati City

Some parts of Airbus units are sourced from the UK.

"We've very happy that London is PAL's first Europe destination since flights to that continent were discontinued in 1998," said Ang during the press conference

PAL will fly 5x a week (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday) departing Manila in the morning and arriving at Terminal 4 of London's Heathrow airport, the world's busiest.

"That we have been given permission to fly to Heathrow makes our return much more meaningful. We take this as a strong vow of confidence by UK authorities in PAL's ability to bring in the passenger traffic volume worthy of the world's top airlines," Ang added.

"I am confident that these flights will greatly enhance the relationship between the UK and the Philippines," Lord green said.

The direct Manila-London flights in November marks the first time the Philippines is returning to European skies.

The Philippines and the UK government has an existing bilateral air agreement for up to 7x a week flights.

The European Union lifted its safety ban on Philippine carriers in July after the local aviation regulator met the safety standards of the 27-member economic bloc

Source:-
http://www.rappler.com/business/industries/171-aviation-tourism/39150-airbus-or-boeing-for-pal-s-manila-london-flights

Dedworth
17th September 2013, 14:09
:crazy:With only six weeks to go you'd have thought they'd have decided which aircraft they'll be using

Maybe they're waiting for Tesco or suchlike to do a buy one get one free on B777's

BoholoX
17th September 2013, 16:05
I am sort of interested in seeing what the price would be, current preferred airline is Cathay to Cebu via HK with usually just an hour or three stopover each way. If we went PAL to Manila it would usually necessitate a couple of grumpy taxi rides, an overnight stop, and an internal flight to Tag with baggage charges, so door to door its quicker with Cathay even if it isn't direct. Great if you live in NCR of course. We would also have concerns over the standard of service at the end of a 13 hour flight. I wonder what nationality/experience the pilots would be and where the plane was maintained when they finally choose which one :icon_lol:

malchard888
17th September 2013, 17:03
another interesting article can be found in this link
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/326861/economy/business/uk-aims-to-increase-trade-with-phl

Michael Parnham
17th September 2013, 20:17
My bet will be Boeing777 300!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
17th September 2013, 20:22
another interesting article can be found in this link
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/326861/economy/business/uk-aims-to-increase-trade-with-phl

Yep, interesting write up. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Would I be dreaming if I thought it may lead to Philippine Nurses/Carers being allowed back to UK in numbers ?? :Erm:
I hope it could happen

malchard888
17th September 2013, 22:42
My bet will be Boeing777 300!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

In every other article I have read on the subject they have already stated it will be the boeing.

tiger31
18th September 2013, 10:43
ive just worked out the price at the current exchange rates and the flight is coming in at 660 pounds .well there are much better deals around at the moment but for those who don,t want the hassle of changing planes I guess it will suit better.If anyone one here decides to fly with them please give us a report and tell us what you think.It will be interesting to know about the food quality etc .

irishman12
18th September 2013, 11:06
http://www1.philippineairlines.com/special-offers/fly-london/ 852 £

chino
19th September 2013, 19:59
Hopefully booking a trip with PAL today or tomorrow for Christmas / New year - £732 return which i think is good for a late booking..

Michael Parnham
25th September 2013, 20:12
ive just worked out the price at the current exchange rates and the flight is coming in at 660 pounds .well there are much better deals around at the moment but for those who don,t want the hassle of changing planes I guess it will suit better.If anyone one here decides to fly with them please give us a report and tell us what you think.It will be interesting to know about the food quality etc .

The food quality would certainly matter to me!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

drexl_spivey
26th September 2013, 21:16
Well it is definitely the 777 as my booking shows :)

London (LHR), Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom, GB
Mon, 23 Dec 2013, 16:15
Terminal: TERMINAL 4 Manila (MNL), Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Philippines, PH
Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 12:50
Terminal: TERMINAL 2 Philippine Airlines
PR 721 Fare Family: Budget Economy
Booking Class: O Flying Time: 12hr and 35min
Stops: (0) Non-Stop
Boeing 777-300ER

andy222
1st October 2013, 22:17
Can we trust PAL?

gWaPito
1st October 2013, 23:43
Hopefully booking a trip with PAL today or tomorrow for Christmas / New year - £732 return which i think is good for a late booking..

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Well done chino...go fill your boots!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
1st October 2013, 23:48
I'll still be taking my cheap flight to The Philippines via a 5 hr stopover in Korea. What's 24 hrs between friends anyway :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
2nd October 2013, 08:22
I'll still be taking my cheap flight to The Philippines via a 5 hr stopover in Korea. What's 24 hrs between friends anyway :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Have flown Singapore Airlines in the past with a 22hour stopover, it didn't seem like 22 hours because at that time you could get the shuttle and do the tours for free if flying with SA!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

highlander01
3rd October 2013, 23:37
You still can get free tours in Singapore. I'm breaking my journey there when I next go to the Phils in a couple of months.

DaveW
4th October 2013, 13:16
Ive just arrived home today after paying 475 with cathay. But surely its great news to fly direct into Manila. Ofcourse the price matters but to have the option to take only 1 flight is brilliant.

chino
4th October 2013, 15:36
Ive just arrived home today after paying 475 with cathay. But surely its great news to fly direct into Manila.

I am a gold FF with qatar... trying PAL in December, i will let you know what it is like as PAL customer service has been great in the past (missing bag) - though onboard it was so so (longest flight only to TPE / MNL)

Dedworth
4th October 2013, 16:42
I wonder who will be doing the maintenance - my mates an Aircraft Engineer and he said BA, KLM & Etihad are bidding

Michael Parnham
4th October 2013, 21:18
You still can get free tours in Singapore. I'm breaking my journey there when I next go to the Phils in a couple of months.

Thanks for that Brian, nice to know the free tour and shuttle are still available, hope you enjoy your next trip!:xxgrinning--00xx3: