PDA

View Full Version : Residential rental agreement.

keith britten
14th September 2013, 04:35
Hi, I am looking into renting a house on Samal Island but I'm worried about a rental agreement. I would prefer a written contract but I'm not sure what is the norm here. My wife says it's usually 30days termination on either side which does'nt sound to good a deal to me. The person renting the house wants 1 month + 1 month deposit up front which sounds fine but she has'nt mention the length of the lease yet, can I ask for a 1 year lease, renewable? Some help would be apprieciated here.Thanks.

tiger31
14th September 2013, 05:17
just bear in mind that many so called written agreements are not worth the paper they are written on.As a foreigner you don,t have many rights if any .just prey that your landlord/landlady is a decent person and don,t get involved in any legal stuff here thats for sure .I would just ask for the one year to start with and tell them it might be on going after that.you will unlikely to get back any deposit so just take it in rent good luck.oh and take pictures of the whole place as to the condition of the house in case you get pulled for damages that you did,nt do.

jake
14th September 2013, 06:35
just bear in mind that many so called written agreements are not worth the paper they are written on

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

There are rules and there is reality! You can ask for a 1 year lease, renewable but there is no guarantee that it will be honored. The closest you would get to taking the case to court would be a Barangay hearing :Cuckoo:

Rental deposits vary from area to area. One month deposit and one month in advance is common. We rent out a couple of properties and the tenants usually stop paying the rent and use the deposit for the last months rent. None of our property has a set lease date.

stevewool
14th September 2013, 07:07
but if the right person came along and wanted a 1 year lease would you give it jake

jake
14th September 2013, 07:34
but if the right person came along and wanted a 1 year lease would you give it jake

Yes as long as it wasn't some whingeing pom :biggrin:
We have had someone stay in a little house we own for over 5 years. No lease agreement and they have payed us on time every month. Even if we had another plan for the house i would never ask them to move unless we desperately needed to sell the place because of financial problems.

Michael Parnham
14th September 2013, 08:20
We never had a problem renting our apartment in Dumaguete, we paid one month in advance and one month deposit with a one year contract and we signed up for a second year but we surrendered the deposit because after five months of the second year Maritess 'visa' arrived and we came to UK, therefore breaking our contract so everything was done properly and we were happy with that!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
14th September 2013, 09:25
Its like everything else you get good and bad tennants as well as landlords its finding the good ones thats the problem lol

Terpe
14th September 2013, 10:38
Good thread this.....................:xxgrinning--00xx3:

keith britten
14th September 2013, 11:38
Thanks guys, all your comments taken onboard. Will be going back to Samal on Tuesday to hopefully do the deal, I'll keep you informed.

jake
14th September 2013, 11:45
Thanks guys, all your comments taken onboard. Will be going back to Samal on Tuesday to hopefully do the deal, I'll keep you informed.

Good luck. I am sure whatever agreement you come to will work out fine.

stevewool
14th September 2013, 11:55
Kieth what price are you looking at paying for this place and what are you getting for the price too

Terpe
14th September 2013, 12:00

We've been to Samal a few times. We both really like it there. Bet it gets really 'touristy' at times.
Last time there we stayed at Maxima :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Very nice Island imo

grahamw48
14th September 2013, 15:59
I've rented a few places in the Phils over the years...never had any problems.

One month rent plus one month's rent deposit is pretty normal.

My last place we were in for 3 years, renewable annually. At that point the landlord may ask for a 10% increase in rent (which I believe they're entitled to do :Erm:)

I agree, take dated PHOTOS of the place before you occupy it, and periodically, to cover yourself against any damage claims.

You'll also need deposits for services... electric and water.

As with any landlord, just COMMUNICATE with them about any changes you want to make...running a business from the property etc, and things will go a lot more smoothly.

keith britten
15th September 2013, 00:46
Kieth what price are you looking at paying for this place and what are you getting for the price too

We agreed with the owner P5,000 pm last week but when we go back on Tuesday I'm sure the price will have gone up because I'm a foreigner. If thats the case I will walk away.

Michael Parnham
15th September 2013, 08:45
We agreed with the owner P5,000 pm last week but when we go back on Tuesday I'm sure the price will have gone up because I'm a foreigner. If thats the case I will walk away.
You shouldn't have a problem with rent price changing, because they will know you'll find out what others are paying and they don't want to lose your business!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
15th September 2013, 10:11
....plus you'll end up walking away from every property you look at. :icon_lol:

keith britten
15th September 2013, 10:30
You shouldn't have a problem with rent price changing, because they will know you'll find out what others are paying and they don't want to lose your business!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hmmm,maybe. We were toldabout the property by a freind who said the owner wanted P5000, when we went to view the owner saw a foreigner and the rent went up to P6000. After my wife negociated with the owner it went back down to P5000.

grahamw48
15th September 2013, 11:01
In some ways it works FOR you, being a foreigner.

A good chance you can afford the rent, will pay on time and won't trash the place. :smile:

tiger31
15th September 2013, 11:15
it amazes me that an owner here would rather see a property sitting empty for a few months than lower the rent .The old crab mentality lol

keith britten
18th September 2013, 12:36
Sorted, deal done. Got a 1 year renewable lease in writing. Thanks for all your help guys.

Terpe
18th September 2013, 14:10
Sorted, deal done. Got a 1 year renewable lease in writing. Thanks for all your help guys.

Wow, well done. I admit to being more than just a little bit envious .............
Nice place to be.........................

keith britten
19th September 2013, 00:57
Wow, well done. I admit to being more than just a little bit envious .............
Nice place to be.........................

Thanks Terpe. Samal is a lovely place and Kaputian is very friendly a peacefull. We are up on the hill about 2 minutes walk from Kaputian centre and white sand beach.

Bluebirdjones
19th September 2013, 12:11
Keith ..... any news regarding the bridge ? LOL !

keith britten
20th September 2013, 00:29
Keith ..... any news regarding the bridge ? LOL !

It will never happen.