PDA

View Full Version : Time to try and quit again.

bigmarco
7th September 2013, 09:59
For the umpteenth time I will once again try and quit smoking.
Been to the stop smoking clinic and have been prescribed Champix. Today is day 1 and you don't actually stop smoking until somewhere between days 8 and 14.
I know many people who say this worked for them and although there can be 1 or 2 side affects I've decided to give it a go.

Terpe
7th September 2013, 10:14
Whatever 'support' you employ you'll need determination and targets.
I sincerely wish you determination and boundless will-power and look forward to your success.

A big well done for taking the decision to start :appl:

We're going to keep you at it for sure.
Once you do quit you'll notice a huge difference even after 3 weeks.

Don't replace the habit with snacking :yikes:

raynaputi
7th September 2013, 10:16
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Marco

The husband of Keith's cousin is on his 6th months of no smoking. He tried few times to stop but hasn't succeeded, until he had suffered difficulty breathing and had to be taken to A&E by the ambulance. It really scared him. And now he says he feels healthier. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
7th September 2013, 10:51
So pleased your attempting to stop smoking Marco, I tried 25 years ago but to no avail, but 21 years ago I just threw half a packet of cigarettes away and somehow will power kicked in and have never smoked since, also after you have stopped you will notice in a few months that food tastes better and you will begin to feel better in yourself and of course you won't smell of smoke anymore. When you go out you will be able to tell who smokes from quite a distance away, and unintentionally your friends will all become non smokers , in other words favour being around non smokers. sincerely hope you succeed because you will certainly live longer and have a more healthy life, I notice that you enjoy swimming, why not concentrate a little more on that to help you forget smoking. Anyhow I will give you moral support to just try and help you succeed, good luck! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
7th September 2013, 12:33
For the umpteenth time I will once again try and quit smoking.
Been to the stop smoking clinic and have been prescribed Champix. Today is day 1 and you don't actually stop smoking until somewhere between days 8 and 14.
I know many people who say this worked for them and although there can be 1 or 2 side affects I've decided to give it a go.

Greatest incentive is wanting to see your kids and grandchildren grow up!!!!!!!. ..what more incentive does one need to stop a habit what directly kills 12000 people in the UK every year.

It's a mindless, senseless, selfish habit. It's stinks as well. ..you won't know this being a smoker but, it hangs all around you like a halo. ...and stinks your house out.

Just a thought

No offence meant Marco....just jack the filth in, please!

stevewool
7th September 2013, 12:59
must be so hard to stop something you have been doing for so many years,
I have never smoked in my life so i feel lucky,
good luck, and think what you could do with the cash you could save

Slip
7th September 2013, 14:15
Good luck, I quit my 10 a day habit about 10 years ago.... I managed with just will power after smoking for around 10 years.

Dedworth
7th September 2013, 14:19
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Marco - You can't be a total slave to the habit with all the hours you spend in the tube cab. Good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
7th September 2013, 16:58
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Marco

:xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3: ... thumbs up, anyhow. And good luck!

Doc Alan
7th September 2013, 22:47
Good luck with the " Champix " ( varenicline ) Mark :xxgrinning--00xx3:!

For those who don’t know, this is a prescription drug in the UK, which partly mimics nicotine action ( " agonist " ), and is usually started a week or two before " target stop smoking " date, then carried on for about 3 months. It needs to be taken under medical supervision, because of possible side effects and doesn’t always work.

Everyone must by now realise the hazards of smoking ( if only it did just kill 12,000 people ! - there are over 100,000 deaths each year in the UK alone, and 6 million in the world ).

What is perhaps less well known, and more surprising, is that a fifth of males AND females – 10 million adults - smoke in the UK, and that has hardly changed in the past decade.

Half a century ago it was over a half of males and 2/5 females. Smoking is still highly prevalent in the Philippines ( about 2/5 males ; less than a tenth females ) and so far the " sin tax reform law " has failed to cut down smoking – smokers have just shifted to cheaper brands. " Graphic health warnings " on packets are being considered, just as plain packaging is in the UK.

Two in three smokers claim they want to stop ( or 1/3 don’t ! ). Apart from supportive Forum members, friends and loved ones, there are many possible sources of help – especially in the UK – from pharmacists, nurses, and doctors to NHS " Stop Smoking Clinics ". However, we should all know smoking is an addiction which is hard to cure, even with willpower and determination.

If the hazards have been increasingly well known for at least half a century, so also should the benefits of stopping. Obviously the younger the better to give up, but you reduce your risks no matter what age ( they’re said to be reduced by 50% by stopping before 50 ).

Breathing improves within days ; this continues over the months with less coughing and chest infections ; by a year the risk of a heart attack reduces by half ( other factors may affect this ) ; and in a decade the risk of lung cancer is halved compared to a smoker. Taste and smell sensations soon improve ( and eating a little more is less hazardous than continued smoking ). :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It’s never too late to give up and I wish all the best to those who DO give up :smile:. On the other hand, it’s a lifestyle choice which I don’t judge, provided smokers try to respect wishes – and health – of others.

Rosie1958
7th September 2013, 23:09
Wishing you the very best of luck in stopping smoking Big Marco!! :xxgrinning--00xx3: My partner smoked for 30 years. Just two weeks after he moved in with me he decided to give up smoking and hasn't looked back. He took Champix on day 1, on day two he smoked half a cigarette but had to throw it away as it tasted so foul and he continued taking the Champix. That was more than 2 years ago now, he hasn't had a cigarette since and can't bear to be around others that smoke. He told me to tell you "it's easy on Champix" ....... he also didn't have many side effects. I wish you every success :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Jump::Jump:

Ako Si Jamie
8th September 2013, 10:33
Personally I wouldn't touch Champix with a bargepole after hearing about the side effects.

Have you tried E-cigs Marco?

Michael Parnham
17th September 2013, 20:50
How are things going Marco ref smoking? just checking! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
17th September 2013, 23:16
Champix is wonderful it worked for me :xxgrinning--00xx3:
About 8 years ago i was smoking 40 a day:yikes:
Try as I might will power did not work so after patches failed i tried champix
This is how it went, i knew i could smoke and have Champix so on day one i took the Champix and still smoked.
By day 4 I noticed that I was not getting the kick any more of the nicotine and the fag was boring
i ditched the fags and maybe a week later ditched the Champix.
for about 3 weeks it was tough but but now I was getting used to not holding a fag in my hand.
After about3 months I was hardly thinking about it and after 6 months I was cured and the sight of a fag and the smell was horrible.
Thats my tale its a thing of the past now and can't believe how I smoked 40 a day, btw it paid for my trip to phils after about 8 months - great incentive :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
18th September 2013, 08:23
It's not easy whichever method is used.
You need to 'cure' the addiction and 'cure' the habit. As long as the outcome is quitting all is good :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I quit 10:30 pm December 31st 2010
Never a single puff since that time.

Like you Les, I can't stand the smell now at all.
I would say I've become a born again anti-smoker :ReadIt:

bigmarco
19th September 2013, 00:20
So far so good Michael thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
As Les states you start off by taking the Champix and continuing to smoke. By the 8th day I was lighting up getting nothing from it and throwing half a cigarette away.
Pleased to say that this is now my 2nd full day without a cigarette.
I agree with Terpe there's 2 things to cure here addiction and habit.
Champix seems to be taking care of the addiction and the habit is my job. Still instinctively put my hand in my pocket for the cigarettes when I'm having a cuppa but their not there :biggrin:
One or two side effects from Champix like interrupted sleep and some strange dreams but a small price to pay I think.:smile:

Dedworth
19th September 2013, 00:49
Stick at it Marco - well done so far so good :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
19th September 2013, 09:01
Well done Marco.......dig in.....it's all worth the 'pain'
Don't even think you can have 'just one', that's a slippery slope to failure.

Take each hour at a time.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
19th September 2013, 22:34
Thank's for your reply Marco and I respect you for your determination, will check with you at a later date, well done! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
16th October 2013, 15:00
Well today is my 4th week off the fags now and I'm over the moon. I calculate I've made a saving of about £450 so I'm not only healthier but also wealthier :smile:
The added bonus for me is that my daughter is so impressed with my effort that she has now given up and is in to her 2nd week.
I've had a few problems sleeping whilst taking the Champix but it's a small price to pay.

raynaputi
16th October 2013, 15:03
Well today is my 4th week off the fags now and I'm over the moon. I calculate I've made a saving of about £450 so I'm not only healthier but also wealthier :smile:
The added bonus for me is that my daughter is so impressed with my effort that she has now given up and is in to her 2nd week.
I've had a few problems sleeping whilst taking the Champix but it's a small price to pay.

:appl::xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
16th October 2013, 15:05

well done £450 is not to be sniffed at :biggrin: keep it up, you are over the worst now :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
16th October 2013, 15:13

Excellent news Marco ( & your daughters efforts too) I'd reward yourself by spending some of that £450 on beers. Stick at it :xxgrinning--00xx3: Here's some interesting facts I saw the other day

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/what-happens-after-you-stop-smoking.html

So how does your body react when you stop smoking? Well, some beneficial effects occur almost immediately, and several other good things happen over time.

After 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.

After 24 hours, the carbon monoxide is removed from your body.

After 48 hours, the nicotine is expelled from your body.

Between 2 and 21 weeks, your circulation improves.

After one year, your risk of a heart attack falls to half that of a smoker.

After ten years, your risk of lung cancer falls.

Terpe
16th October 2013, 15:21

A massive well done to you Marco :appl:

Keep at it and don't let your guard slip...........especially as we enter the party season.

More power to you and to your daughter :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
16th October 2013, 18:48
Yes, well done To you and your daughter Marco and keep up your desire to live a longer and healthier life!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
17th October 2013, 00:51
:yeahthat:'s really good going, Marco ... you deserve some well~earned rep for your valiant efforts. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Best wishes to your daughter ALSO, in following your very commendable example. :smile:

andy222
17th October 2013, 09:33
Well done Marco.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
17th October 2013, 10:04
Thanks everyone and many thanks for the Rep Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
17th October 2013, 10:42
Well done Marco, it really does get easier as the time goes by - bit like breakups really :biggrin:

Doc Alan
17th October 2013, 16:47
Well done Marco … and your daughter :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

It’s good also to know that Dedworth’s “ Dummie “ site ( # 23 ) doesn’t disagree with my post 10 :smile:!

There’s reassuring news about “ Champix “ ( varenicline ) in this week’s British Medical Journal. Obviously it should still only be prescribed after consultation with your doctor, and medical advice may be needed if serious side effects DO develop.

http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5704#

gWaPito
18th October 2013, 16:49
Yes, well done To you and your daughter Marco and keep up your desire to live a longer and healthier life! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Congratulations Marco :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
18th October 2013, 17:44
Well done Marco … and your daughter :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

It’s good also to know that Dedworth’s “ Dummie “ site ( # 23 ) doesn’t disagree with my post 10 :smile:!

There’s reassuring news about “ Champix “ ( varenicline ) in this week’s British Medical Journal. Obviously it should still only be prescribed after consultation with your doctor, and medical advice may be needed if serious side effects DO develop.

http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5704#

Thanks Doc :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Just got time to read that very interesting article you posted from the BMJ and would recommend this to others who perhaps may have been taken in by the scare stories about Champix.

Conclusions There is no evidence of an increased risk of suicidal behaviour in patients prescribed varenicline or bupropion compared with those prescribed nicotine replacement therapy. These findings should be reassuring for users and prescribers of smoking cessation medicines.

Yes there are side effects but apart from a few strange dreams and some disturbed nights sleep I've been fine. Having tried various products over the years I can honestly say that nothing has come close to this. These have taken away all the cravings for nicotine which all the other products simply feed. I know it's early days yet but I think I may have cracked it. The next big test for me is when we take the drug away :omg:

Dedworth
15th December 2013, 22:38
How's it going Marco ?

bigmarco
15th December 2013, 22:45
:xxgrinning--00xx3: I think I've cracked it Ded. Despite having had a horrible last 6/7 weeks I've managed to stay strong.
Just got another months supply of Champix and I think I'll be brave and make this my last lot and try and go it alone.

Michael Parnham
15th December 2013, 22:51
:xxgrinning--00xx3: I think I've cracked it Ded. Despite having had a horrible last 6/7 weeks I've managed to stay strong.
Just got another months supply of Champix and I think I'll be brave and make this my last lot and try and go it alone.

Remember Marco you've got lots of support from all of us here, keep it up because it'll be worth it in the end! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
15th December 2013, 23:19
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Well done Marco - I think going through periods of stress and adversity without needing the nicotine crutch is a strong indication you've beaten it

:appl:

les_taxi
15th December 2013, 23:45
Champix worked for me - and that was 7 years ago - keep going Marco :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
16th December 2013, 03:35
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Well done Marco - I think going through periods of stress and adversity without needing the nicotine crutch is a strong indication you've beaten it

:appl:

Well done Marco :xxgrinning--00xx3:...it's a good acid test. It'll give you the will and confidence to carry on the good work when you have more testing times ahead.

Terpe
16th December 2013, 12:31

Well done :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Many here know just how difficult it is. Just say no!! You'll beat it.

My 3 year anniversary will soon be here.....Dec 31st 2010 at 10:30pm ........never a single puff since then

Keep up the good effort

Dedworth
16th December 2013, 12:59

Many here know just how difficult it is. Just say no!! You'll beat it.

My 3 year anniversary will soon be here.....Dec 31st 2010 at 10:30pm ........never a single puff since then

Keep up the good effort

How quickly that time has gone Terpe - you're a rich and healthy man now :biggrin: I was looking in the shop yesterday my old brand Marlboro Lights are now £8.40 per pack.

Terpe
16th December 2013, 13:10
How quickly that time has gone Terpe......

True, it's been very quick. Scary really. So much I had planned to do that still didn't get done.

- you're a rich and healthy man now :biggrin:

Well I feel healthier and fitter and with a much richer life......
Certainly not a richer financially.................I'm married :biggrin:

..... my old brand Marlboro Lights are now £8.40 per pack.

Crazy..... how do folks afford it :NoNo:

....Well done :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well done to all us non-smoking converts :Jump:

lordna
16th December 2013, 19:28
6/7 weeks that's brilliant! Well done Marco, keep it up. I am an ex smoker myself but it was so long ago now i can't even remember how old i was when i gave up (about 30 i think). it certainly is worth it and your progress posted on here will be an inspiration to others trying to give up the weed!