PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Treatment in the Philippines.

bigmarco
3rd September 2013, 00:58
Just wondered if anybody had any experience of Cancer Treatment in the Philippines.
I'm currently on 2 weeks leave from work and had planned to take my wife away when we received a phone call from the Philippines to say that my Nanay had been diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer which knocked us for six. She's not been well for a while and unfortunately tends to rely more on the power of prayer for recovery rather than the power of medicine despite the fact there is money available should it be needed. Tatay was taken ill last year and we sent more money on top of the monthly allowance for his treatment.He subsequently made a full recovery and I remember lecturing him that health comes before money and they should always phone if there was any problems.
Anyway seemingly Nanay has not been well for some time and has recently been losing quite a bit of weight which set alarm bells ringing for us and has left us in this current situation. Although we've already bought tickets to go in November, I bought a ticket for Mary Grace to fly over immediately as she was naturally very upset. Apparently Nanay has recovered some of her appetite since my wife arrived but she's still quite weak.
I gather from my wife that the current situation is that they intend doing another biopsy and they are talking about the possibility of Chemotherapy although my wife told me today that Nanay is upset and doesn't wish to have the Chemo.
This has come as a real body blow to us as she's only 60 and I was wondering has anybody else had any sort of experience in dealing with cancer in the Philippines. I've read up on stage 4 online and whilst it's not generally good reading there are some cases where people have at least gone on for a few more years. Is this possible with the treatment available in the Philippines ?

raynaputi
3rd September 2013, 02:30
I'm sorry to hear about the news Marco.. :cwm3: Generally in the Philippines, old people tend to opt for not doing any treatments when they are sick as they think money would just be wasted. The family should just persuade them to get medical care if money really won't be an issue.

Anyway, I don't really have an experience with anyone related to me having a stage 4 cancer. But the mum of a former officemate of mine had been diagnosed with stage 3 stomach cancer. She had chemotherapy and all the medical treatments and I think it lengthened her life between 3 - 5 years or so (I'm not really sure the exact years because me and my officemate were colleagues for almost 4 years and her mum died around 6 months after I left the company). But it still would really depend on what the doctor's prognosis is.

I can only hope and pray for the best Marco.

gWaPito
3rd September 2013, 03:05
Hi Marco

So sorry to read this.. I do hope things workout for you all..My thoughts and the best of wishes are with you and your family.

jake
3rd September 2013, 06:07
I am sorry to hear that Marco.

Are the family based in Manila?

malditako
3rd September 2013, 06:26
Treatments can lengthen her life...for how long it depends how much money you've got. One of our godparent on our wedding had this type of cancer stage 3 both lungs and spread to her breast. They remove the lumps and undergone chemo. That was two years ago and health wise she's doing quite well.

Hope and pray she be alright soon.

lovejoy
3rd September 2013, 07:34
Sorry to hear about this Marco... Wish it's easy to convinced the patient to undergo some therapy I have no idea about cancer treatment but on my case my mum is a diabetic and it getting worse she at the hospital at the moment and the doctor advise her to do the dialysis because the kidney can't cope and some of the water that she will intake is going to her lung already but she insisted not to do it but I'm still hoping she will change her mind and consider the dialysis..

Michael Parnham
3rd September 2013, 08:10
Sorry to hear the news Marco!

Doc Alan
3rd September 2013, 09:13
Like everyone else I’m sorry to read your news and please accept my best wishes for Mary Grace’s Nanay, her family, - I understand how you must feel.

I don’t have direct experience of cancer treatment in the Philippines. You may have seen my update on lung cancer last year ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/37067-Lung-cancer-update?highlight=cancer ).

No doubt, as you say, you are also aware of facts about this cancer in general, and realise that “ Stage 4 “ means it has either spread to both lungs ( often with build-up of fluid around them ) or to another part of the body ( bones, liver, or brain usually ).

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cancer-of-the-lung/Pages/Introduction.aspx .

You mention “ a further biopsy “ – this would be sent for microscopic examination to confirm spread of the cancer ; in which case chemotherapy ( drugs ) would be the only possible treatment, since surgical removal would be impossible.

Now is not the time to mention smoking, except to say that over 10% of lung cancers are NOT caused by smoking, but continued smoking would not help general health and chances of response to treatment.

Other members may well have had direct or indirect experience of cancer in the Philippines. I assume you are particularly interested in lung cancer, which unfortunately is the commonest male cancer, with increasing numbers in women.

Unlike other cancers, the outlook for this cancer has not improved worldwide for years. If it’s diagnosed with symptoms by the time the patient visits the doctor, the outlook is poor ( less than 1/10 surviving 5 years in the UK ). The only hope for the future is screening, for example blood tests and CT scans, for those at most risk.

The problem is that most people DON’T present with symptoms such as persistent cough and weight loss. We know that’s a particular problem in the Philippines where people delay visiting a doctor, until their illnesses are harder – and more expensive - to treat.

Standards of health care in the Philippines range from excellent and internationally accredited ( Makati Medical Center; St. Luke’s Medical Center, Quezon City; The Medical City, Pasig City ; Chong Hua Hospital, Cebu City … for example ) to poor / unaffordable.

Unfortunately prevention, screening, detection, diagnosis and treatments of cancers ( of which there are over 200 types ) are less well developed in the Philippines than UK or USA for example (
http://www.congress.gov.ph/press/details.php?pressid=7236 ).

Please remember that “ survival statistics “ are just that – they can’t apply rigidly to every individual. There are also different cell types forming lung cancer. So while you need to be rightly very cautious about ANYONE having a diagnosis of advanced lung cancer, NEVER lose hope and stay positive :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Terpe
3rd September 2013, 12:19
Sorry to learn that Marco.
Good that your wife was able to visit. It makes a very big difference all round.

I think you need to understand the results of any tests done, the diagnosis and the proposed programme of treatments before making any decisions.
Someone I know was in the same situation and there are likely to be some tough challenges.

Our prayers are with you all for a good outcome.

bigmarco
3rd September 2013, 13:08
Like everyone else I’m sorry to read your news and please accept my best wishes for Mary Grace’s Nanay, her family, - I understand how you must feel.

I don’t have direct experience of cancer treatment in the Philippines. You may have seen my update on lung cancer last year ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/37067-Lung-cancer-update?highlight=cancer ).

No doubt, as you say, you are also aware of facts about this cancer in general, and realise that “ Stage 4 “ means it has either spread to both lungs ( often with build-up of fluid around them ) or to another part of the body ( bones, liver, or brain usually ).

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cancer-of-the-lung/Pages/Introduction.aspx .

You mention “ a further biopsy “ – this would be sent for microscopic examination to confirm spread of the cancer ; in which case chemotherapy ( drugs ) would be the only possible treatment, since surgical removal would be impossible.

Now is not the time to mention smoking, except to say that over 10% of lung cancers are NOT caused by smoking, but continued smoking would not help general health and chances of response to treatment.

Other members may well have had direct or indirect experience of cancer in the Philippines. I assume you are particularly interested in lung cancer, which unfortunately is the commonest male cancer, with increasing numbers in women.

Unlike other cancers, the outlook for this cancer has not improved worldwide for years. If it’s diagnosed with symptoms by the time the patient visits the doctor, the outlook is poor ( less than 1/10 surviving 5 years in the UK ). The only hope for the future is screening, for example blood tests and CT scans, for those at most risk.

The problem is that most people DON’T present with symptoms such as persistent cough and weight loss. We know that’s a particular problem in the Philippines where people delay visiting a doctor, until their illnesses are harder – and more expensive - to treat.

Standards of health care in the Philippines range from excellent and internationally accredited ( Makati Medical Center; St. Luke’s Medical Center, Quezon City; The Medical City, Pasig City ; Chong Hua Hospital, Cebu City … for example ) to poor / unaffordable.

Unfortunately prevention, screening, detection, diagnosis and treatments of cancers ( of which there are over 200 types ) are less well developed in the Philippines than UK or USA for example (
http://www.congress.gov.ph/press/details.php?pressid=7236 ).

Please remember that “ survival statistics “ are just that – they can’t apply rigidly to every individual. There are also different cell types forming lung cancer. So while you need to be rightly very cautious about ANYONE having a diagnosis of advanced lung cancer, NEVER lose hope and stay positive :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Thanks everyone for your comments and kind words and thanks Doc for taking the time to post this.
She's currently seeing a Doctor in PGH who seems very good after previously having seen a doctor who seems to have missed the problem.
I understand that she will be receiving the results of the 2nd biopsy tomorrow along with suggested treatments. My wifes concern at the moment is that Nanay is very thin and although she has sporadic improvements in her eating there's no visible sign of weight gain which I understand affects their decision on whether or not she can have the chemo.
The other sad thing doc is she's only 60 and never smoked in her life.
Anyways thanks again everyone and we'll wait to see what happens tomorrow.

fred
3rd September 2013, 13:41
Marco.. My sister in law had two huge tumours in her head 2 years ago.. Financially they can only be classified as poor.
With the families help she ended up in PGH in Manila where she eventually had surgery..
Her chances of a successful outcome were extremely low but today she is back to her old self running her sari sari store in the province.. I still cannot believe it!!
Of course, lung cancer is a different matter and I have heard from people that have had it that Chemo therapy ain't cheap..Mind you..That treatment was received in a private hospital..
That said,rest assured that your mother in law is in the best public hospital in the R.P as far as I know..
Lets hope and pray for the best.
Regards,
Fred.

bigmarco
3rd September 2013, 14:07
Marco.. My sister in law had two huge tumours in her head 2 years ago.. Financially they can only be classified as poor.
With the families help she ended up in PGH in Manila where she eventually had surgery..
Her chances of a successful outcome were extremely low but today she is back to her old self running her sari sari store in the province.. I still cannot believe it!!
Of course, lung cancer is a different matter and I have heard from people that have had it that Chemo therapy ain't cheap..Mind you..That treatment was received in a private hospital..
That said,rest assured that your mother in law is in the best public hospital in the R.P as far as I know..
Lets hope and pray for the best.
Regards,
Fred.

Thanks Fred and that's good news about the sister in law :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Apparently this Doctor at PGH is very good and knows his stuff.
Between us we've spent about 40,000 so far which included 17,000 for a scan so it's easy to see why some people simply cant afford the treatment.
For all it's faults it's a times like this that you realise just how lucky we are with the NHS.
Thanks again and best wishes for your sister in laws continued improvement

Rosie1958
6th September 2013, 22:00
So sorry to hear about your Nanay's illness, Big Marco. I do hope that she is able to receive the treatment she needs. I know from first hand experience how difficult it is to cope with a serious illness in the family, particularly when one is on the other side of the world. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

bigmarco
6th September 2013, 22:31
Many thanks for your kind words Rosie.
As mentioned by the Doc the cancer has spread to other parts of the body. We're apparently awaiting one further test result before starting a 6 cycle treatment of Chemotherapy.
My wife arriving there unannounced cheered her up but she is still very weak and worried about the chemotherapy treatment.

imagine
6th September 2013, 23:37
It's always difficult to know what to say, except that I'm sorry to read of your Nanay's cancer Big Marco. Treatment for some, can be a very, very harsh time.

It was for me, and I'm glad no one pushed me into it and that it was my decision to start treatment. And though, during the treatment, I was so tempted to give up because it made me so ill, now I'm so glad I didn't. I survived and a new life has opened up for me.

My prayers go out to your Nanay that should she take the treatment and pull through this, she will enjoy a good life after treatment

Arthur Little
6th September 2013, 23:55
Marco ... in common with the rest of your forum friends, I was sorry to read about Mary Grace's Nanay's illness; it also reminded me of an elderly relative of Myrna's - diagnosed in May past, with Stage 3 Prostate Cancer.

Following radical surgery, his morale was at a very low ebb, and - despite being prescribed the whole gamut of conventional drugs needed to treat his condition - he could barely walk unaided ... had all but lost his appetite ... and the overall prognosis seemed poor. :bigcry:

Until fairly recently, that is ... when a business associate of his younger daughter recommended he try a certain special vitamin supplement.

Known as 'USANA' the product's manufactured in the American State of Utah ... but is apparently marketed worldwide - including throughout Asian countries.

Although not cheap - and it cannot be guaranteed as being curative - it seemed to work wonders for him! According to his elder daughter (a qualified nurse in Hartlepool) who's in regular contact with the family back home, her dad is back to taking his customary daily stroll around the local neighbourhood, is eating well and his former sprightliness has returned. :smile:

Now ... as I said, this product is NOT some miracle cure designed to supplant conventional medication. :nono-1-1: NOR can Myrna's 1st degree cousin's tumour be compared to that found in the lungs. They're completely different. :anerikke:

Nonetheless, I'm buoyed up enough by the man's latest progress, to pass this information on to you as some kind of lifeline to cling to during this difficult period.

God Bless. :xxgrinning--00xx3: