PDA

View Full Version : Need advise about etihad flight with our baby

patrickm1978
31st August 2013, 12:57
My wife and myself are flying to Cebu to let my parents in law see our son. This is our first time flying with our 5 month old son so what tips can you give us.
We want to take bottles with measured amounts of formula inside to bottle feed our baby on the plane also we are giving our son baby rice so I was thinking of taking this onboard and getting the flight crew to make up our feeds.
Can you suggest what we should pack for this long flight
Thanks so much

grahamw48
31st August 2013, 13:34
Hi Patrick.

When we took my boy to the Phils first time, he was 4months old.

No problems really (they sleep most of the time of course).

Just take enough Pampers type nappies for the journey, and milk of course.
The cabin staff will actually give you any help that you need as far as food/drink preparation goes, and will have supplies on the plane too, should you need any.

You will be given special seating with a fold-down 'cot' in front of you for the journey.

You will also be called to board the plane first and allowed to exit first.

Our boy was breast-fed until 2 years old, so much easier. :smile:

It's really important to keep your baby cool enough when in the Phils. Our son stayed for 4 months first trip...out in the province, and no problems at all.

Good luck and enjoy the flight and the trip. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

patrickm1978
31st August 2013, 13:54
How would you recommend taking the baby milk through the airport I was wondering do we take a unopen carton of aptimil or should we just take the bottles with the measured about of formula inside then just request will they add water on board

grahamw48
31st August 2013, 14:07
Ah, now that's something we never had to do (plus slacker regs then).

I think it would be best to give the airline a ring and ask their advice on that one, but yes of course they will be able to add the water for you.

marksroomspain
31st August 2013, 17:29
Hiya Patrick my wife came back from the Phils 5 weeks ago and she just carried enough baby milk in a resealable plastic container and put it in her hand luggage no problems.

She also used the disposable bottles from Boots to save space and the staff onboard supplied the water.

Hope that helps...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jamesey
31st August 2013, 20:24
We've travelled long haul with a 9 moth old before and will be doing the same later this year.

Generally, we didn't have any problems, although our flight was via HK, so shorter than yours. Our baby slept almost all the way on both journeys.

The airlines and security staff are usually very considerate when it comes to babies. If you have formula mixed up in a bottle, they may ask you to taste it.

I'd suggest just trying to do all you can to ensure that the baby sleeps! One difficulty is when you encounter turbulence and the seat belt light comes on. In theory, you should remove the baby from the cot (thereby waking it up) and put it on your lap with the seatbelt. You'll just have to see how the plane staff deal with it. Some will let you leave the bay in the cot (especially if it's late and most people are asleep) and some will make you take the baby out.

Good luck! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

patrickm1978
1st September 2013, 00:12
Thanks to everyone for your helpful advise
Blessings to all from Patrick & Rotsen