PDA

View Full Version : SIM Only Mobile Phone Deals

Dedworth
26th August 2013, 16:24
Just come to the end of a 12 month Simplicity deal with o2 - was paying £16 / month for 600 mins, 300 o2 to 02 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data. The 12 months ran out earlier this month before the 26 Aug billing date and as one would expect from these rogues they've charged me £26. Phoned them up and they'll credit me with the £10.00 but basically offered me the same price £16 (but with 500 o2 to o2 mins) . So no reward for loyalty and the need to stay with them to get a cheap home broadband deal has now gone with them flogging that operation to Sky.

As a holding position they've agreed to charge me £16 for a monthly Simplicity deal. I'm thinking about 2 Virgin deals :-

30-day contract unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data £15 a month

30-day contract 1200 minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data £12 a month - I think this one would do me

I'm happy with my own phone, don't wan't the latest Samsung Stratochief (I'll buy that next year for a hundred quid), don't want to sign up to 12 and 24 month deals.

Suggestions and advice appreciated

joebloggs
26th August 2013, 16:43
how much do you use a month thou dedworth, i'm with o2 and hardly use anything :NoNo:

might be worth it for some https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order?ID=1297$$

but i doubt its the one for you :cwm25:

but the virgin one seems a good deal :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
26th August 2013, 16:57
About 500 mins a month total Joe (inc o2/o2) but the last couple of months I nearly used all my data -I think its the fitness app I use on my bike rides. o2 slow you down (data not bike) if you exceed. What gets me is like energy deals etc they don't tip you off just before your contract expires - the only thing o2 could say in their favour was that they have UK call centres (for the time being !)

I think the Virgin £12 is worth a months go

bigmarco
26th August 2013, 17:13
I think the Virgin £12 is worth a months go

I think you hit the nail on the head there Ded. Give it a go for a month and report back to us.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I think a lot more people I going for these SIM only contracts now and that's what I'll be opting for when my contracts up towards the end of the year.
I see Carphone Warehouse are promising to be 10% cheaper than the networks for the duration of SIM only contracts. I know that's only £1.20 to you but if anyone else is looking at 12 month contracts it might be worth bearing in mind.

Dedworth
26th August 2013, 17:52
I think you hit the nail on the head there Ded. Give it a go for a month and report back to us.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I think a lot more people I going for these SIM only contracts now and that's what I'll be opting for when my contracts up towards the end of the year.
I see Carphone Warehouse are promising to be 10% cheaper than the networks for the duration of SIM only contracts. I know that's only £1.20 to you but if anyone else is looking at 12 month contracts it might be worth bearing in mind.

This will be my 3rd SIM only deal 1st one was 18 months - I think too many people like my wife are suckered by the only £XX per month for 24 months spiel and the lust for the latest device. You need to look at the total cost over the period and then think do I really want to pay £800 plus for a new toy ?

bigmarco
5th January 2014, 15:38
Hey Ded did you try this out and if so what are they like.
Contract is up soon and am looking at going SIM only.

Michael Parnham
5th January 2014, 15:54
Can't help you on that one Ded, I use pay as you go and £10 lasts me approx. 6 months!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
5th January 2014, 18:11
GiffGaff £12 a month unlimited data/texts 250 mins :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
5th January 2014, 18:35
Hey Ded did you try this out and if so what are they like.
Contract is up soon and am looking at going SIM only.

Funny you should ask Marco - I'm still on the £16 with o2 because of the £6.25 / month home broadband deal which is just ending so now I am a free agent and will be looking around

grahamw48
5th January 2014, 19:40
I'm with Virgin and pay £23 a month (was half that for the first 6 months) for a smart phone, unlimited calls, texts and data/internet. I haven't paid anything extra for the past 12 months...just wish I'd chosen the Samsung phone.