PDA

View Full Version : Mug Buy - Manuka Honey

Dedworth
26th August 2013, 08:40
Stung by fraudsters: How cheap honey is being sold as 'liquid gold' manuka variety at £45 a jar

The main honey suppliers’ organisation in New Zealand believes 1,700 tons of manuka honey are produced there every year, but 1,800 tons are being sold in the UK alone.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2401884/Stung-fraudsters-cheap-honey-sold-liquid-gold-manuka-variety-45-jar.html#ixzz2d3hCHJnE

There's one born every minute :laugher:

bigmarco
26th August 2013, 09:12
My 92yo Mum uses Manuka Honey but I'm quite sure she doesn't pay anywhere near £45 a jar.
However The Daily Mail is her bible so I'm quite sure she'll read this article :smile:

Dedworth
26th August 2013, 09:24
My 92yo Mum uses Manuka Honey but I'm quite sure she doesn't pay anywhere near £45 a jar.
However The Daily Mail is her bible so I'm quite sure she'll read this article :smile:

Marco - Point her in the direction of Sainsbury's Basics - tasted very nice on my toast this morning about £0.75 per jar I think. Comes from China but I'm not sure if their bees are that selective which plants they get their pollen from :biggrin:

Terpe
26th August 2013, 09:59
Interesting stuff Manuka Honey.

Some years ago my wife went through a period of having quite a few mouth ulcers. Very painful.
The GP basically said there's not much can be done.

I can't remember how we came by Manuka Honey, but anyway we bought some and tried it.
It's pretty expensive stuff. We were told to buy only 'active' honey with a UMF greater than 10

The price of the honey increases significantly depending on this UMF factor.

We never paid anything like £45 for a jar. But depending on the quantity and the UMF you can expect to pay anything from £5 - £30

Actually during the period my wife was taking spoonfuls of the stuff the ulcers gradually disappeared (over about 6 months).
She stopped taking her daily spoonfuls and gradually those pesky ulcers returned.
Back to the Manuka. Again they very gradually went away.

I have to say, she's no longer taking Manuka and luckily no longer suffering with those ulcers. Whether or not there's any connection it's not possible to say. Whether or not ordinary non-active honey would have had the same effects we can't say either.

We can confirm it's darn expensive stuff, especially if bought from one of those 'health' shops.
The supermarkets have their own brands of active Manuka and are obviously much cheaper.

Arthur Little
26th August 2013, 14:32
There's one born every minute :laugher:

:yeahthat:'s because so many of the world's male population are persistently imploring their female partners:

"Can I have ma nooka, :do_it: honey?"

:anerikke: ... ALL to do with the "birds" 'n' the pleas, y'see!

Terpe
26th August 2013, 14:35

:laugher::laugher:
Nice one Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:
That really tickled me :icon_lol:

Doc Alan
26th August 2013, 15:45

:anerikke: ... ALL to do with the "birds" 'n' the pleas, y'see!

Beehive Arthur ... you've got the Forum buzzing ! :biggrin:

Dedworth
26th August 2013, 16:04
:laugher:

Arthur Little
26th August 2013, 17:38
Beehive Arthur ... you've got the Forum buzzing ! :biggrin:

:gp: ... I could easily "get on someone's wick" :icon_tonguew: ... find myself [with] "a sticky wicket" and "end~up" be(e)ing stumped for an appropriate response! :cwm24:

Arthur Little
26th August 2013, 18:27
:gp: ... I could easily "get on someone's wick" :icon_tonguew: ... find myself [with] "a sticky wicket" and "end~up" be(e)ing stumped for an appropriate response! :cwm24:

:bigcry: ... I'm be(e)ing "bats" :crazy: ... it's just NOT cricket! :yeahthat:

Doc Alan
26th August 2013, 20:17
Honey has been thought to be a remedy for cuts and grazes for many years. So-called “ medical grade “ ( sterilised ) honey has antibacterial ( bug-killing ) and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be used as dressings for various wounds and ulcers. It has osmotic properties and may help control the smell of infected wounds . Dressings should not be used on patients with sensitivity to honey, bee stings or bee products ! Most of the “ medical grade “ honey is manuka, and much cheaper for the NHS than so-called manuka honey on sale to the public. I don’t know how frequently it is used nowadays.

What celebrities like Katherine Jenkins and Novak Djokovic may not know is that honey containing high hydrogen peroxide levels is more effective, and manuka honey even more effective because it also has non-peroxide antibacterial activity.

The UMF ( Unique Manuka Factor ) is the NPA ( Non Peroxide Activity ) given as a number. NPA may better be described as “ Not Perhaps Authentic “ :doh ! To add to the confusion, “ anti bacterial activity “ ( peroxide activity ) may also be quoted as a number.

“ Genuine “ manuka honey is produced by bees whose hives are placed near wild manuka bushes, growing mostly on New Zealand’s North Island. Even then, other plants grow with manuka and bees may forage on them too.

“ Ordinary “ honey tastes good, but there is no clinical evidence that it ( or so-called manuka honey ) has health benefits when eaten, as opposed to applied locally on wounds / ulcers.

The sting in the tail ? No point in paying high prices for “ manuka “ honey which has no health benefits when eaten, especially if neither the bees nor the public know it’s genuine :omg:.

Doc Alan
27th August 2013, 18:24
Bees ( and butterflies ) like Buddleia bushes ! ( Photographed today …. Only a little off topic !!

:icon_offtopic: )

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1040011_zps9e96126c.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/DocAlan/media/P1040011_zps9e96126c.jpg.html)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1030999_zps6a003c6a.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/DocAlan/media/P1030999_zps6a003c6a.jpg.html)

Terpe
27th August 2013, 18:52
I've notice quite an abundance of butterflies this year. Especially these past few weeks in my garden.

Peacocks by the dozen, amazing. Real beauties.
That's a nice shot of a Peacock Doc :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I've also seen some really big Painted Lady specimens along with Red Admiral and the white one. We used to call it Cabbage White but I'm not sure if that's the correct name.

Anyway a bumber year.

Can't say the same for bees though.