PDA

View Full Version : Married in a Foreign Country

Chris
18th September 2007, 19:14
Hope this doesnt bore you, but havnt read anything of similar circumstance.

I am a British Citizen working and living in a foreign country with my Filipina Fiance of 2 years (Now Wife). We got married in a Middle East Country however we were not asked for any of the documentation as mentioned in your other threads. Additionally we were married under Muslim Law as my wife is a Muslim Filipino (I had to convert from C of E). Ive contacted the British Registra who has said that a marriage that is legal in the country where it took place is legally recognised in UK.

I think Im OK with the British side of things but foresee problems with the Philippine side especially as we havnt followed any of the bureaucracy I have read. My wife has been to UK on 2 previous occasions as a visitor with no problems and we foresee no problems in the future. Our main concern is in the Philippines which we are due to visit in Nov.

We now have to change her passport to our married name and register our marriage in Phil, but will they accept our Marriage as they have not had their processes met?

We have already encountered a problem in that they have requested a 'Legal Capacity to Marry' from the British Embassy which I have contacted. The Phils cannot seem to comprehend that the Brit embassy will not issue this as we are already married and therefore I am not free to marry, unfortunately the Phil embassy are adamant they want it ????? What to do eh?

We have no intentions of living in England or the Phils in the near future but we would like our marriage recognised in our own countries, a bit strange considering its recognised everywhere else in the world..

Look forward to your suggestions on what to do

andypaul
18th September 2007, 19:47
Sounds like the officials are not sure how to deal with your particular situation.

Are you sure the phills i presume the phill embassy in your country understand your already married? Im sure you told them but maybe they got confused. Otherwise it sounds like you will be going round and round in circles.

Also why do you have to have your passports in the same name?

Neither country as far as im aware insist that your wife has to change her surname to yours. If she can renew her passport in her family name i can't see the problem although im no expert on these matters.

Chris
18th September 2007, 19:54
Hi

I agree with you about their confusion, We'll try again.

Ref the passports, both are due for renewel, hence the name change.

Thanks

andypaul
18th September 2007, 20:05
Hi

I agree with you about their confusion, We'll try again.

Ref the passports, both are due for renewel, hence the name change.

Thanks

Might be worth asking or finding out if they will renew just in her name.

Neither My wifes (phill passport) or my brit passport mentions if we are married or not.

hilda_danao
18th September 2007, 21:52
Hi Chris! which foreign country are you residing right now?

happy01
19th September 2007, 20:10
Were in amman jordan as of now..

happy01
19th September 2007, 20:16
oopps! answering for my hubby again. hahaha. He's got used to it now.