PDA

View Full Version : 26,000 peso's for a bench

Ako Si Jamie
14th August 2013, 19:05
Someone I know is looking to purchase a two seater bench made from the best quality wood in the Phils. He's had quotes from P26,000 to P42,000 with the bench being made of narra.

Sounds a bit inflated to me. What do you boys & girls think? :smile:

imagine
14th August 2013, 19:45
iv seen garden benches in the garden center ranging from £60 to around and over £500,
i would think hand made in phils with narra (im presuming this is class wood) is proberbly money well spent, after all some of the expensive ones here are not that good to warrant high prices

Terpe
14th August 2013, 20:35
Well Narra is a great wood. It has good durability and weathering characteristics. Seems very resistant to termite and/or beetles,

I was told it's easy to work with, and easy to machine.

Pricewise it's about moderate.

I had a dining table and 4 chairs handmade that cost me P20k in 2004 (good for indoors or outside on a patio)

I also had a substantial 2 seater bench and 2 substantial matching chairs handmade for I think about P25k in 2006 (these have been kept inside)

All are still looking like new.

That's a big range in quotes and I'd be looking into the capabilities of the woodworker as well as the quality and colour of the wood.
If it's a two seater garden type bench then personally, I feel that the P26k is looking more on the mark.
Mind you, maybe Narra has seen a price explosion in recent years.

jake
15th August 2013, 11:42
The national tree of the Philippines. Not many left these days and despite a ban on cutting them it still continues :NoNo:

The price sounds a bit steep but it depends on the wood and design. You can pick up decent 2nd hand benches that look as good as new.

Have a look here Jamie and it might give you some ideas.

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/classifieds+directory/q/narra+furniture?next=21

Michael Parnham
15th August 2013, 18:55
Yes I've also seen solid oak garden benches in local garden centres for as much as £750!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
15th August 2013, 19:13
Cheers dudes! :xxgrinning--00xx3: