PDA

View Full Version : Higher education in the Philippines

fred
8th August 2013, 12:07
Need some advice on behalf of my daughter from members that know the system here and how it works!!
She graduates from High school next year and wants to eventually study law..
She will need to take any 4 year degree course including units in social science,math etc..
Most of her friends are applying to schools like Ateneo and U.P.. Both in Manila..
Now this is my problem!! I really do not want to send a 16 year old girl to live and study in Manila on her own.
Regardless of this fact,she has taken an application form from school for Ateneo!!

OK..Here`s the question..
Does it really make a huge difference where she gets a pre law degree? I`d far prefer her to study for 4 more years here in Bohol but will that be a disadvantage when applying for her law degree?

Any advice will be appreciated..
Cheers,
Fred.

Terpe
8th August 2013, 16:24
Fred, I really wish I could help you in details.
My bro-in-law has experience in Higher Education. (part of his job responsibilities).
As far as I understand it (so sorry if I'm wrong) but to follow an education program for law degree I thought she would already need a Bachelor degree to secure admission to a law school.?
Maybe Ateneo and the like offer a complete course of entrance program and Law course?

I tend to agree that 16 is pretty young to jump off to Manila.

Sorry not much help to your specific question.

fred
8th August 2013, 17:36
Thanks Terpe.. Yes perhaps I didn't make it clear.. Her first degree course will probably be accounting (CPA)..
Im really trying to find out if there is a big advantage taking these pre law degrees at prestigious schools like UP or Ateneo as opposed to a local Uni in Bohol..

raynaputi
8th August 2013, 19:06
Fred, the answer is yes. Most companies in the Philippines have certain school priorities depending on the course/degree, i.e. Mapua for engineers, FEU & PSBA for accountants, etc. I believe when it comes to law, UP and Ateneo are the top school for that.

Bar passing rate

The bar passing rate is the proportion of successful bar exam passers in relation to the total number of bar exam takers coming from a particular law school. The national bar passing rate (proportion of all bar exam passers in relation to all bar exam takers) changes every year, and has gone from an all-time high of 75.17% in 1954 to an all-time low of 16.59% in 1999.[37] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_education_in_the_Philippines#cite_note-37)

The Legal Education Board's ranking for top ten law schools in the Philippines is based on the passing rate from 2001 to 2010:[38] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_education_in_the_Philippines#cite_note-38)

Excellence in Legal Education (top five)

Ateneo de Manila Law School (89.03)
San Beda College of Law (85.74)
University of the Philippines College of Law (79.84)
Ateneo de Davao College of Law (64.99)
University of San Carlos College of Law (61.23)

Outstanding Law Schools (rest of the top ten)

University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Civil Law (60.22)
Arellano University Law Foundation (42.90)
Xavier University - Ateneo de Cagayan College of Law (38.90)
Far Eastern University Institute of Law (33.14)
University of San Agustin College of Law (31.63)

Bar topnotchers

Bar topnotchers are bar examinees who garnered the highest bar exam grades in a particular year. Every year, the Supreme Court releases the bar top ten list. The list contains the names of bar examinees who obtained the ten highest grades. It is possible for more than ten examinees to place in the top ten because numerical ties in the computation of grades usually occur.[42] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_education_in_the_Philippines#cite_note-42)
Schools which have produced bar topnotchers (1st placers)[43] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_education_in_the_Philippines#cite_note-43) include:

University of the Philippines College of Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_the_Philippines_College_of_Law) - forty-nine (49) bar topnotchers
Ateneo de Manila Law School (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ateneo_Law_School) - nineteen (19) bar topnotchers
San Beda College of Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Beda_College_of_Law) - seven (7) bar topnotchers
Philippine Law School - seven (7) bar topnotchers
University of Manila (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Manila) - six (6) bar topnotchers
Far Eastern University Institute of Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Eastern_University_Institute_of_Law) - three (3) bar topnotchers
University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Civil Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Santo_Tomas_Faculty_of_Civil_Law) - three (3) bar topnotchers
University of the Cordilleras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_the_Cordilleras) (formerly Baguio Colleges Foundation) College of Law - two (2) bar topnotchers
Manila Law College Foundation (formerly Escuela de Derecho de Manila) - one (1) bar topnotcher
Manuel L. Quezon University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_L._Quezon_University) College of Law - one (1) bar topnotcher
Divine Word College - one (1) bar topnotcher
University of the East College of Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_the_East_College_of_Law) - one (1) bar topnotcher
San Sebastian College (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Sebastian_College) Institute of Law - one (1) bar topnotcher

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_education_in_the_Philippines
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_education_in_the_Philippines)

alan_mac
8th August 2013, 20:39
Fred, I doubt anyone will be able to reply from experience but I had a look at the admissions section of the Ateneo site here:

http://law.ateneo.edu/?page_id=72

For me the stand-outs are 1. the entrance exam and 2. the recommendations.

If I were you I'd do the following:

1. email Ateneo's Admissions Dept and ask:

a. For more information regarding the entrance exam. What does it cover and what is the applicant expected to attain.

b. From which school do they prefer applicants to come.

c. What experience have they of admitting applicants from your daughter's (proposed) college in Bohol.

(Of course you may not get direct answers but it's worth having a go).

2. I'd then try and get in touch with someone who has actually studied at, say, Ateneo and ask them similar questions. For example, I'd google "ateneo graduate blog" and you'll find people you can contact. Ask them similar questions to the above.

3. I'd also contact the local Bohol college. I'd ask them for stats regarding students going on to higher education. How many of their graduates went to, say, Ateneo.

If that fails then I have a friend studying for a Masters in Eng Lit at UPD and I can happily ask her.

Finally, academia is snobbish the world over. I know already that my son's Grammar School will open doors in a way that my daughters' Comp won't.

Sorry for such a long post!

fred
9th August 2013, 00:20
Rayna.. What about pre law and where she studies for this degree?? Do you have comments about how schools like Ateneo and U.P accept Degrees from provincial uni`s? Thanks....................................Alan_mac.Thanks for your helpful suggestions.. I`ll follow them up!!Cheers,Fred.

raynaputi
9th August 2013, 00:49
I'm not really familiar when it comes to universities in the provinces, sorry Fred. But I'm guessing that if the pre law course would comply to the requirements for taking a law degree, it won't matter which college/university your daughter would study. Like what alan_mac has said above, it's best to contact the university if they would prefer a certain school where your daughter can take her pre law. But noting that there's an entrance exam before she can go to Ateneo or UP or any university, the pre law school may not really be a major concern.

fred
9th August 2013, 01:08
Right!! Thank you Rayna.

dontpushme
9th August 2013, 04:11
Hi Fred! UP and Ateneo (ADMU) wouldn't have a problem with qualified applicants from provincial unis. However, keep in mind that in the Philippines, connections may make or break an application. The main advantages your daughter would have if she gets her undergrad at UP or ADMU are that she'll develop the critical thinking skills needed for the approach that those universities take, and that she'll have some connections by the time she graduates. Also, provincial universities tend to be "by the book" about everything. The quality of education in unis, even those from the same school system, varies greatly here. UP and ADMU are both known for fostering open minds and out-of-the-box thinking. In ADMU, we were always asked for creative solutions, even to seemingly cut-and-dry calculus problems.

By the book isn't always good. When I was in Ateneo de Naga, I was told my English grades from ADMU were not transferable. I hadn't taken the basic courses, from which I'd been exempted in ADMU, so I was told I'd need to take them. The English department used books published by a UP professor, a Dr. Maliksi, PhD, and those books had SO many grammar errors that it wasn't even funny anymore. Even my classmates who weren't very familiar with the English language could tell the books were wrong. I talked to our teacher, but she insisted that I was just trying to weasel my way to a higher grade and that the books were correct because they'd been published. When I talked to her department head about it, he sided with the teacher and said, "Well, if you say it out loud the way she did, it could sound right. It's in the book too." :Brick:

fred
9th August 2013, 07:10
Hi Fred! UP and Ateneo (ADMU) wouldn't have a problem with qualified applicants from provincial unis. However, keep in mind that in the Philippines, connections may make or break an application. The main advantages your daughter would have if she gets her undergrad at UP or ADMU are that she'll develop the critical thinking skills needed for the approach that those universities take, and that she'll have some connections by the time she graduates. Also, provincial universities tend to be "by the book" about everything. The quality of education in unis, even those from the same school system, varies greatly here. UP and ADMU are both known for fostering open minds and out-of-the-box thinking. In ADMU, we were always asked for creative solutions, even to seemingly cut-and-dry calculus problems.By the book isn't always good. When I was in Ateneo de Naga, I was told my English grades from ADMU were not transferable. I hadn't taken the basic courses, from which I'd been exempted in ADMU, so I was told I'd need to take them. The English department used books published by a UP professor, a Dr. Maliksi, PhD, and those books had SO many grammar errors that it wasn't even funny anymore. Even my classmates who weren't very familiar with the English language could tell the books were wrong. I talked to our teacher, but she insisted that I was just trying to weasel my way to a higher grade and that the books were correct because they'd been published. When I talked to her department head about it, he sided with the teacher and said, "Well, if you say it out loud the way she did, it could sound right. It's in the book too." :Brick:Thanks so much for your reply..I understand fully what you are saying and suspected as much.. Its a tough one as I really dont want her alone in Manila..We do have a place in Imus Cavite and thats not too far from De la Salle in Dasma.. In reality,I think that might be our best option but we have quite a while yet before a decision has to be made..Thanks again!

jake
9th August 2013, 07:22
Snap :icon_lol:

Did your daughter sit the UP exam last weekend? The application form for Ateneo has to be in next week. Have you seen the personal essay section they have to write. How can a 15 year old answer that!

Yes it does matter even though it shouldn't. A friend (filipino) has 3 kids presently studying at Ateneo. One is studying law and the other 2 are doing pre law courses. We have had several discussions on this subject. He has said that even though his kids do not have the highest marks academically they will still be given preference over other students that studied elsewhere.

fred
9th August 2013, 07:32
No..She didnt apply for UP as I said I dont want her studying in Manila..She brought home the application letter for Ateneo a few days ago and it doing the essay now... I think she`s enjoying it!!40k per semester!! How much for books,board,transport etc etc..I can feel the shirt being ripped from my back..and it hurts.

jake
9th August 2013, 07:32
Thanks so much for your reply..I understand fully what you are saying and suspected as much.. Its a tough one as I really dont want her alone in Manila..We do have a place in Imus Cavite and thats not too far from De la Salle in Dasma.. In reality,I think that might be our best option but we have quite a while yet before a decision has to be made..Thanks again!

Fred, i also have the feelings about leaving my daughter in Manila on her own as she will not turn 16 till next year. Have tried to hint that she could maybe study in UP Los Banos and come home every day. She has informally been accepted due to her grades :wink: Perfect in english which always brings a smile to my face as i failed miserably!
Anyway she is determined to study in Manila and how can i deny her the chance of doing something she has worked hard to achieve.

jake
9th August 2013, 07:37
No..She didnt apply for UP as I said I dont want her studying in Manila..She brought home the application letter for Ateneo a few days ago and it doing the essay now... I think she`s enjoying it!!40k per semester!! How much for books,board,transport etc etc..I can feel the shirt being ripped from my back..and it hurts.

'Are there any significant experience you have had, or accomplishments you have realized that have helped to define you as a person' What!!!

My wife calculated the costs for Ateneo a few weeks ago and said why don't you go to UST instead :icon_lol:

fred
9th August 2013, 07:47
'Are there any significant experience you have had, or accomplishments you have realized that have helped to define you as a person' What!!!I know!! She read it to me earlier.. My daughter has a wonderful imagination.. Lets see what B.S she can come up with!!

malditako
9th August 2013, 21:26
it doesn't matter in which university you go to at the end of the day it always goes down how bright and smart the person is although i believe that those who goes to school in manila are more articulate and more advance. Some university in manila offer a boarding school like UST. It cost a lot but would definitely gives you a peace of mind. As for pre-law course Accountancy of criminology would be an advantage as some law subjects are already to the curriculum...reminds me of my law subjects while taking accountancy...full of memorization huh

dontpushme
15th August 2013, 13:41
'Are there any significant experience you have had, or accomplishments you have realized that have helped to define you as a person' What!!!

I don't think that's too tough for a 15-year-old. At that age, didn't we all feel grown up already? I know when I was in high school, I could already identify the accomplishments and experiences that defined me. I'm sure your daughter has this essay in the bag, fred!

fred
15th August 2013, 14:52
I don't think that's too tough for a 15-year-old. At that age, didn't we all feel grown up already? I know when I was in high school, I could already identify the accomplishments and experiences that defined me. I'm sure your daughter has this essay in the bag, fred!I know if she finds out I posted this she will bloody kill me... But here`s her essay.. She`s 14 (her 15th tomorrow)BTW!!.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................It’s beyond my belief that I’m graduating this year. It seems like yesterday when I was 4 and first learning how to read and write, being taught to do as I’m told and to always look up to God. I know now that I never would have thought I’d be doing what I am today when I was, in fact, 4 years old. I’m applying for a college degree course. I’m taking a step into my future and deciding what I want to do and what I envision my life to be. I am providing myself with a definition based on my experiences and my choices from being a 4 year old to a 15 year old applying for college education. Life is very short. Within every minute you breathe you learn something. It may be something small or something important but whatever it is, it is a part of who you are. A few years ago, I used to live in England. It was a very big part of my life as that was where I grew up. It was where I learned how to walk and how to speak my first words. It is where I made my first friends and where I first went to school. At the time, I never really thought about how much those moments meant to me but the day I moved away from all of it, I realized the impact it really did have on my life. Moving away from your home is a bit like spending a lifetime building something for yourself and watching it fall down at your feet. Starting a new life in a new place is picking up the pieces and trying to put them back together and I had to do that. Leaving England to go to the Philippines tested me. It tested my strength and my faith. It tested whether I was adaptable to change. I remember going to school and not talking at all. I had no friends. I had low grades. I wasn’t myself. I’d stay in the classroom all day and wouldn’t even eat lunch. I did this for around 3 years, one year in Manila and 2 years in Bohol, and until this day I do not regret it. Believe it or not, they were probably the worst years of my life yet they helped me grow so much I’d probably even consider them the best. I guess the days where I had no one to talk to made me stronger. I realized that you need to go through trouble and hardships to get to a point in your life where you can be happy. In 1st year, I had a few friends who just made my year terrible. I’d cry almost every day and had to visit the guidance office to face them. I felt attacked and betrayed. I thought being in their clique and maintaining a friendship with them was the most important thing but I realized the only thing I had to worry about was I, my studies and my family. I guess being so young and inexperienced with teenage friendships, made me become carried away and made me feel it was something I needed. All those tears and all that sadness I experienced within that year taught me how to be strong. It taught me to stand up for myself and believe in myself. I swore from then on I’d never let anything bring me down. I chose to share this because I know this is a very big part of what defines me. It affected my career choice. I want to be a lawyer. I want to stand up for things I know are right. I want to make sure everything is fair. I want to help our economy to move on from corruption. Everything I’ve been through so far in the 15 years I have lived my life has brought me to this decision. I know I won’t regret this and it is something that is 100% right for me. I can now say that every second of my life defines me. I still have so much more to learn, so many more tears to shed and so much more laughter to share with everyone. I want to fulfil God’s purpose for me on earth and do my best to live my life the best I can. This is just the beginning for me and I know that with hard work and determination, I will make it to the end of my journey and it will all be worth it................................................................................................................................................................................................................................(me again)The words and paragraphs are all stuck together as I need to use a proxy server these days to assess this site which screws up all formatting..

Terpe
15th August 2013, 15:21
All I can say is wow!!!

She's already learnt one of the most important lessons. A lesson that needs courage and insight.

She's now knows that you learn so much more about yourself in adversity than in success. And that the realisation of that defines your life journey.
Took me 30 years

Great piece of writing I enjoyed it.
When I was 15 I doubt I would have understood a single word.

Well done from me.

fred
15th August 2013, 15:54
All I can say is wow!!!She's already learnt one of the most important lessons. A lesson that needs courage and insight.She's now knows that you learn so much more about yourself in adversity than in success. And that the realisation of that defines your life journey.Took me 30 years Great piece of writing I enjoyed it.When I was 15 I doubt I would have understood a single word.Well done from me................................Peter.. Thanks.. To be honest as I read through it (to proof read),it actually brought tears to my eyes.. I just never realised our journey affected her so much..Thanks again..Glad you enjoyed!!My biggest dilemma however is if they accept her! Then what?? lol

raynaputi
15th August 2013, 19:46
Wow! you got a very bright daughter there Fred..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I remember when I was at that age, my biggest fear was leaving my comfort zone, going to a university without any of my friends and away from them all, and not fulfilling my dreams of finishing my degree and getting a good job. I'm sure your daughter would succeed with whatever path she chooses, with your guidance of course. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
15th August 2013, 19:53
....My biggest dilemma however is if they accept her! Then what?? lol

Ask your daughter.
She's got a good handle on what she wants, how to get that and what supports she'll be needing.

Your job is to deliver on time. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
16th August 2013, 03:49
Fred, your daughter is very determined and knows what she wants to do with her career :xxgrinning--00xx3:

shes' lucky at such a young age she knows whats she wants to do, while many of us just drift along thru life :wink:

is it possible you can send someone to Manila to look after her, at least for a while to make sure shes ok and settled , when my misses went to uni in Manila her mom sent her sister to look after her.

jake
16th August 2013, 06:35
Thanks for sharing Fred. "You are so dead if she finds out":smile:

Very well written and nice to see that some teenagers still have a goal in life. Can see why it brought a tear to your eyes.

My daughter finished her essay at god knows what time last night. Asked her this morning if she wanted me to read through it and was given a very firm no. Yes your honour!

If she is accepted and decides to go there is always the option of the dorms on campus. From what i have heard they are very safe. If not we can have a rota system of one month each on duty!

I know letting go especially in a place like Manila is going to be a very difficult thing to do.

fred
17th August 2013, 00:39
Wow! you got a very bright daughter there Fred..:xxgrinning--00xx3: I remember when I was at that age, my biggest fear was leaving my comfort zone, going to a university without any of my friends and away from them all, and not fulfilling my dreams of finishing my degree and getting a good job. I'm sure your daughter would succeed with whatever path she chooses, with your guidance of course. :xxgrinning--00xx3:Thanks Rayna.
Ask your daughter. She's got a good handle on what she wants, how to get that and what supports she'll be needing.Your job is to deliver on time. She thinks she does Peter.. How independent is she!!We took her in to the local Uni campus yesterday to hand in her application.. The size of the campus and amount of students scared her!! Ateneo and being virtually alone in Manila? I thought I`d leave that for another day!!Cheers, Fred.

fred
17th August 2013, 00:41
Fred, your daughter is very determined and knows what she wants to do with her career :xxgrinning--00xx3: shes' lucky at such a young age she knows whats she wants to do, while many of us just drift along thru life :wink:is it possible you can send someone to Manila to look after her, at least for a while to make sure shes ok and settled , when my misses went to uni in Manila her mom sent her sister to look after her.Not sure if we have anyone I trust enough Joe.. The ones I do trust are all in College!

fred
17th August 2013, 00:44
Thanks for sharing Fred. "You are so dead if she finds out":smile:Very well written and nice to see that some teenagers still have a goal in life. Can see why it brought a tear to your eyes. My daughter finished her essay at god knows what time last night. Asked her this morning if she wanted me to read through it and was given a very firm no. Yes your honour!If she is accepted and decides to go there is always the option of the dorms on campus. From what i have heard they are very safe. If not we can have a rota system of one month each on duty!I know letting go especially in a place like Manila is going to be a very difficult thing to do.I`m told they have an entrance exam in September..22nd? Good idea..Lets see how it goes if they get accepted... Cheers, Fred.