PDA

View Full Version : Illegal immigrants 'were simply helping out' at shop

Dedworth
8th August 2013, 11:33
A MALDON newsagent is facing a fine of up to £20,000 after two illegal immigrants were found working at his shop.

Immigration officers stormed Maldon Newsagents in the High Street and found two men had overstayed their visas while working at the family-run business.

Maheshbhai Patel, who has owned Maldon Newsagents for seven years, says relatives from his wife's side of the family were simply helping out at the shop because they were so busy, but he now faces a crippling £10,000 fine per illegal worker.

"It has been hard for me working here lately; I have been under a lot of stress and pressure. I have been up at five in the morning working as hard as I can," Mr Patel told the Chronicle.

"They didn't live here permanently, they just stayed overnight sometimes because they lived far away in North London."

Immigration enforcement officers from the UK Border Agency visited the shop on July 24, when checks revealed one member of staff, an Indian national, 27, had overstayed his visa.

A second worker from India, 27, who had also overstayed, was arrested after officers searched the flat above the High Street premises.

Mr Patel faces potential fines of up to £10,000 for each of the illegal workers unless he can demonstrate that appropriate pre-employment checks were carried out, such as seeing a Home Office document.

The two employees are now in a detention centre while arrangements are made to deport them.

Read more: http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/story-19628257-detail/story.html#ixzz2bN9Jvxfp

:laugher::laugher:

Some more great excuses here from an employer of a Thai illegal in Winchester :-

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10599280._/

grahamw48
8th August 2013, 11:40
TOUGH !

Lots of us are under pressure...businesses bad, etc, etc.

We don't break laws and cheat the system though.

Old habits die hard it seems. Stop it ! :xxaction-smiley-047

If you can't run a business without being unscrupulous and thoroughly dishonest, find a new way of making a living !

...And stop selling dangerous fake alcohol to our teenagers while you're about it. Damned crooks. :mad:

Dedworth
8th August 2013, 11:49
:mad:Jailing the scum employers is the only way to deter them

joebloggs
8th August 2013, 13:20
looks like he will have to work even longer if he gets fined :doh

malchard888
8th August 2013, 13:46
looks like he will have to work even longer if he gets fined :doh

Seem to remember reading recently that not many of the fines are collected or enforced for that matter, if these are the facts then it is hardly a deterrent for such businesses who will shun legal labour which will cost them far more.

grahamw48
8th August 2013, 13:48
Exactly.

Time to get serious. Then maybe the criminals will take it seriously too. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
8th August 2013, 15:56
Seem to remember reading recently that not many of the fines are collected or enforced for that matter, if these are the facts then it is hardly a deterrent for such businesses who will shun legal labour which will cost them far more.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: You're right Malchard and I also read another report recently which proposed to double the fines to £20,000 which is not a lot of good if you're not going to enforce it.
The Mr Patels of this world need to be taught a lesson £20,000 a head payable in good time or bang them up and shut the business down.:cwm23: