PDA

View Full Version : Subic Bay Graham

Ako Si Jamie
7th August 2013, 19:11
Know of any hotels that are under £30 that come recommended?

Salamat. :smile:

grahamw48
7th August 2013, 21:08
Hi Jamie.

I have only stayed (recently) at two hotels in Subic, both Baloy Beach, Barrio Barretto sea front area.

Sheavens and Arizona Resort . Both nice places and should have rooms under or around £30 a night. Close to the beach and the night life.

Remember that there are lots of girlie bars in Subic/Olongapo, but Baloy Beach is off the main drag, so usually quite peaceful and civilised. I stayed there with my lady last year and she didn't see anything that would particularly upset a 'decent' lady...apart from my awful singing on the Karaoke. :icon_lol:

Sheavens is on google of course. There are cheaper places too...from p1,000 a night, but here are Arizona....details:

Address: 47 National Highway, Barrio Barretto, Olongapo City 2200, Philippines

Phone:+63 47 224 4557

Its restaurant is very good.

DaveW
7th August 2013, 21:56
I stayed in Johans beach resort before and that was well under 30 quid and it was on the beach.
I would never go back to subic bay, i found it such a dive. The beaches are horrible full of dog .... and the bars are awful, but you probably have good reasons to go there i'm sure. The food in johans is good and is 24hours.

grahamw48
7th August 2013, 22:28
Nobody goes to Subic for the beach.

Johan's is a place where you go to learn to dive. There are some good dive sites nearby.

I like Subic because I know some of the expats there, and there are lots of things to do apart from sitting bored silly on a beach...if you know where to look. :smile:

...Also the nearest coastal resort to Angeles City, that other den of iniquity (for some) where I used to live with my family.

Ako Si Jamie
7th August 2013, 22:54
Thanks Graham

I've been through Olongapo on the bus on the way to Iba from San Fernando and I'm sure I saw Arizona.

Not intending to stay at Subic too long, just a few nights. Thinking of getting the El Greco ferry from Manila to Bataan, up to Subic and Anawangin Cove in Zambales then onto Bolinao and Hundred Islands in Pangasinan. That's the plan for half of my stay in the Phils anyway. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
7th August 2013, 22:54
I stayed in Johans beach resort before and that was well under 30 quid and it was on the beach.
I would never go back to subic bay, i found it such a dive. The beaches are horrible full of dog .... and the bars are awful, but you probably have good reasons to go there i'm sure. The food in johans is good and is 24hours.Thanks for the tip :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
7th August 2013, 22:58
Thanks Graham

I've been through Olongapo on the bus on the way to Iba from San Fernando and I'm sure I saw Arizona.

Not intending to stay at Subic too long, just a few nights. Thinking of getting the El Greco ferry from Manila to Bataan, up to Subic and Anawangin Cove in Zambales then onto Bolinao and Hundred Islands in Pangasinan. That's the plan for half of my stay in the Phils anyway. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

That sounds like a great trip. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
7th August 2013, 23:04
Mindoro & Tagaytay too via Pampanga for the other half all being well.

Have you been to Morong in Bataan, Graham? It's not far from Subic.

grahamw48
7th August 2013, 23:06
Let me consult my map....:Erm:

Nope. ...sorry. :smile:

Ako Si Jamie
7th August 2013, 23:21
Talking about maps. This is a good one of Luzon. No zooming in and out and fiddling about with this one.

http://class.csueastbay.edu/anthropologymuseum/virtmus/Philippines/Islands/LuzonTopo.htm

grahamw48
7th August 2013, 23:32
That is a good map Jamie. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I used to have a really big paper version of that. Bought it at the National Book Store in Pasay, Manila.

Don't know what happened to it. :Erm:

So much better for having a proper look and getting your bearings. :smile:

Ako Si Jamie
7th August 2013, 23:45
Is that book store near the train station in Pasay?

I bought a few maps from a bookshop in that area. One of them only cost 18 peso's and it's great.

grahamw48
7th August 2013, 23:58
I'm sure it was the one at Harrison Plaza Jamie. I had an apartment near there.

Yes, their maps were cheap, and also they had a great stock of secondhand books (in the days when you read instead of sitting in front of a computer. :smile:)

I used to take the books to Hong Kong after I'd read them , and sell them there, because any reading stuff in HK (books, magazines) was damned expensive. :thumbsdown:

gladz
8th August 2013, 10:37
Hi Jamie.
Morong is approximately 30 minutes drive from Olongapo City if you take the SBMA route.There are also loads of resort hotels if you fancy staying for a night or so.

Ako Si Jamie
8th August 2013, 19:07
Hi Jamie.
Morong is approximately 30 minutes drive from Olongapo City if you take the SBMA route.There are also loads of resort hotels if you fancy staying for a night or so.
Thanks Gladz :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
9th August 2013, 19:57
Sheavens rooms start at P800

http://www.sheavens.com/rooms.php

But of course we'll be staying in the VIP rooms. :biggrin:

Looks a nice place.

Ako Si Jamie
8th September 2013, 17:18
Hi Jamie.

I have only stayed (recently) at two hotels in Subic, both Baloy Beach, Barrio Barretto sea front area.

Sheavens and Arizona Resort . Both nice places and should have rooms under or around £30 a night. Close to the beach and the night life.

Remember that there are lots of girlie bars in Subic/Olongapo, but Baloy Beach is off the main drag, so usually quite peaceful and civilised. I stayed there with my lady last year and she didn't see anything that would particularly upset a 'decent' lady...apart from my awful singing on the Karaoke. :icon_lol:

Sheavens is on google of course. There are cheaper places too...from p1,000 a night, but here are Arizona....details:

Address: 47 National Highway, Barrio Barretto, Olongapo City 2200, Philippines

Phone:+63 47 224 4557

Its restaurant is very good.Booked Sheavens for 3 nights. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
8th September 2013, 18:21
I don't think you'll be disappointed. :xxgrinning--00xx3: