PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Student to study MBA in UK

pop up queen
2nd August 2013, 09:58
Hi everyone! I am new here (I just signed up). Recently, I have come across opportunities to study MBA in UK. The two choices I have would be to take it in LSC (London School of Commerce) which is an associate college of Cardiff Metropolitan University and my other choice is Chester University. I like Chester Uni better because I just think it is a more reputable university. On the other hand, living in London seems to be quite tempting (if not only for the very high cost of living). I am married and my husband is very nervous in case we move to UK because we would not know anyone (no relatives) and he is worried he might not be able to find a job (he's an IT guy) even if he will legally be able to do so as my dependent while I study. Therefore I was hoping to get your opinion on this. If we decide to go to Chester, I figured we could live in either Manchester or Liverpool and I can just use the train everyday to go to Chester Uni. I figured there would probably be more jobs for him in these two bigger cities compared to Chester. Is there a big Filipino community there too? I am hoping we can meet other young filipino couples as well so we dont get too lonely... :) on the other hand, is London really so much better than these two other big cities I've mentioned? I would like a vibrant place to live in but generally safe and multicultural (preferably with a lot of Asians too so we don't feel too alienated) :)

Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate any feedback you can provide me - especially those of you already living in Manchester, Liverpool or even London :)

Thanks in advance!!!

Janedan0913
2nd August 2013, 11:08
You might as well visit this website http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/prospective-student/
and read other threads here about your concern. But there will be other members here that can help you will all our questions.
As for me, everywhere there are asians. But you need to specify which asian origin. I know its Filipino but here in UK, most Asians are Indians and Pakistanis. Before you ask if your husband can find any jobs here, just think about first the requirements needed for you applications especially the money you need to prove because you are no recourse to public fund if you are on student visa. i will tell you frankly that their priority here in UK are those with at least 6 months or more UK job experience unless you will go for those jobs who pays cash on hand. This is a no no for us taxpayers as it is not fair on our part.
As long as you have enough money to support yourself while you are here in UK then there will be no problem wherever you are.
It depends on what level is your course then they will tell you how many hours are you allowed to work.
I will ask my other colleagues regarding this matter then i will share it with you,

pop up queen
2nd August 2013, 11:46
You might as well visit this website http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/prospective-student/
and read other threads here about your concern. But there will be other members here that can help you will all our questions.
As for me, everywhere there are asians. But you need to specify which asian origin. I know its Filipino but here in UK, most Asians are Indians and Pakistanis. Before you ask if your husband can find any jobs here, just think about first the requirements needed for you applications especially the money you need to prove because you are no recourse to public fund if you are on student visa. i will tell you frankly that their priority here in UK are those with at least 6 months or more UK job experience unless you will go for those jobs who pays cash on hand. This is a no no for us taxpayers as it is not fair on our part.
As long as you have enough money to support yourself while you are here in UK then there will be no problem wherever you are.
It depends on what level is your course then they will tell you how many hours are you allowed to work.
I will ask my other colleagues regarding this matter then i will share it with you,

Thanks Janedan for your input. Yes, I am funding my own studies and have the money required to support required cost of living - according to the requirements at least 1k gbp per month for your stay there plus another 800gbp per month i think for your dependents. According to the rules too, I can work for 20hours a week part time and full time during summer break. With regards to ethnicity, I was hoping FIlipinos specifically... they say there are a lot in Manchester and Liverpool but not sure which has more or a better Filipino community so we won't have a hard time adjusting. We really haven't had a thought of whether we wanted to stay in UK permanently after my studies. Right now, my question is really around that 1 year I am there for my studies with my husband and obviously choosing the place to stay is one of the biggest considerations. Thanks again for your input. Hoping others can shed light into the topic as well :)