PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticeships ?

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 14:11
Hi all. I'm hoping one of our members will be able to offer some advice to my son (19) who has now decided that he'd like to follow some sort of apprenticeship in industry, hopefully leading to a degree level qualification.
He has been considering 'industries of the future', such as renewables, energy exploration etc.

He has 14 'O' levels' and 4 'A' levels, but science and maths are in 'O' not 'A'.

We're looking on the internet, and he's down at the careers place right now, but any suggestions appreciated. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

He's a pretty good all-rounder, a hard-worker, very bright and very adaptable, but I've told him to go for something that will hold his interest and that will result in an internationally-recognised qualification.

Dedworth
19th July 2013, 14:28
I think he should be thinking of a guaranteed job for life with a fat cast iron pension plus plenty of sick days - something along the lines of Home Office Immigration Enforcement Team Officer :biggrin:

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 14:39
Hmm....now there's a thought. :Erm:

Doc Alan
19th July 2013, 15:26
Not in my field of knowledge, but he's obviously very bright ( like his Dad ) so I wish him all the best for the future - please keep us posted :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Pete/London
19th July 2013, 16:04
My Brothers Grandson recently applied for an apprenticeship at Fords but lost out at the final selection.
It surprised me to hear Fords were still recruiting but it seems to be true.

He told me the starting pay was £15,000 plus, rising to £30,000 at the end of the 3 year apprenticeship.

Hope it helps.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
19th July 2013, 16:14
He should get himself a trade like Electrician and apply for Australia at the first possible opportunity

lordna
19th July 2013, 16:38
He should get himself a trade like Electrician and apply for Australia at the first possible opportunity

I did a 5 year apprenticeship as an Electrician ...now they do it in about a year and the the would be electricians are next to useless. What with new reulations, Part P etc the whole thing is a nightmare. Avoid being an electrician like the plague.

Anyway if Maths & science isn't his thing then electrical engineering or computers is a no no. Anything interesting in computers is now done in India for rupees and there is no engineering industry here....so stay clear of engineering.

Probably best to go into Management/ business of some sort or Law.

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 16:42
Not in my field of knowledge, but he's obviously very bright ( like his Dad ) so I wish him all the best for the future - please keep us posted :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Thanks Alan...will do.:smile:

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 16:51
I did a 5 year apprenticeship as an Electrician ...now they do it in about a year and the the would be electricians are next to useless. What with new reulations, Part P etc the whole thing is a nightmare. Avoid being an electrician like the plague.

Anyway if Maths & science isn't his thing then electrical engineering or computers is a no no. Anything interesting in computers is now done in India for rupees and there is no engineering industry here....so stay clear of engineering.

Probably best to go into Management/ business of some sort or Law.

Thanks for the advice. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Actually, he is good at both science and maths, but just chose different subjects for his 'A's. Also good at IT, and one of his 'O's is IT-related, plus he has Music Tech at 'A'-level, which involves lots of computer programme-related stuff, so not a deal-breaker. (Me being a dinosaur, a lot of this stuff goes over my head anyway :NoNo:).

I thought there might be more competition in the business management/law field, plus not as 'transferable, should he wish to work overseas ?

I do take your point about becoming an electrician too. Seems as with a lot of things now, (like 'plumbing') there are different sets of standards.

The aircraft building industry would be another option, and they are advertising apprenticeships. :smile:

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 16:54
My Brothers Grandson recently applied for an apprenticeship at Fords but lost out at the final selection.
It surprised me to hear Fords were still recruiting but it seems to be true.

He told me the starting pay was £15,000 plus, rising to £30,000 at the end of the 3 year apprenticeship.

Hope it helps.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Pete. :smile:

Well of course it's in the news at the moment that the gov. is planning to help out the motor industry with a few billion quid in grants, so maybe worth looking into. :Erm:

Dedworth
19th July 2013, 17:28
The aircraft building industry would be another option, and they are advertising apprenticeships. :smile:

Licensed aircraft engineers are wanted worldwide. A few years ago my mate had some good times in Hong Kong & Singapore before coming back to Heathrow with BA

http://www.britishairways.com/careers/apprentices.shtml

lordna
19th July 2013, 17:32
Licensed aircraft engineers are wanted worldwide. A few years ago my mate had some good times in Hong Kong & Singapore before coming back to Heathrow with BA

http://www.britishairways.com/careers/apprentices.shtml

Now thats an idea!.....what about Architects or in Building Services engineering.

lordna
19th July 2013, 17:37
What about Accountancy.....i know it sounds boring but those guys earn a lot

Dedworth
19th July 2013, 17:38
Careers at Sea - I remember Ricky posting this a few years ago

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/29057-Careers-at-Sea-For-your-kids-and-grandchildren?highlight=careers+at+sea

Again a decent route out of the UK Multicultural Cesspit

somebody
19th July 2013, 18:09
Something he has an interest in and therefore can put in the work to get somewhere with would be my advice.

But I think it is down to your son's outlook on life does it live to work or work to live?

Does he want a job he has to immerse himself in takes over his life or one that pays the bills and gets him by?

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 19:27
'Something he has an interest in and therefore can put in the work to get somewhere with would be my advice.' That's what I've been saying to him too.

Thanks to all of you. Some really useful stuff there !

I'll discuss with him later. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jamesey
19th July 2013, 21:36
You could have a look at construction. Although not really "fashionable" it's a massive sector with many different trades and professions. It's vulnerable to economic highs and lows but people will always need buildings!

Also, managers in construction tend to have different backgrounds. Some are degree educated, others have come from a trades background.

I've generally enjoyed working in construction over the years and every week brings new challenges. Give it a try! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 21:47
I totally agree Jamesey ...having been involved with construction myself in one capacity or another for the past 36 years. :biggrin: Plant Operator, Tunnelling Foreman, Railtrack Layer, Surveyor. :smile:

Naturally I've recommended it....but up to him in the end. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

edited to add:...longer actually, since my dad left me and bro' plans and materials to fence the back garden while he was at sea when we were about 10 and 11 years old (he was Royal Navy)....and then later, details and materials for the concrete paths he wanted us to lay while away again, when were early teens. :icon_lol:

fred
19th July 2013, 23:20
What about an apprenticeship in the navy or airforce?

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/How-to-Join/Funding-and-Scholarships

grahamw48
20th July 2013, 00:03
Thanks for the link Fred. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Yes, he'd be carrying on a family tradition. :smile:

I couldn't approve of him going in the Army though...not with the nonsense we're getting involved with now. :NoNo:

fred
20th July 2013, 01:14
Thanks for the link Fred. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Yes, he'd be carrying on a family tradition. :smile:

I couldn't approve of him going in the Army though...not with the nonsense we're getting involved with now. :NoNo:

Thats why I didn't mention the Army!!

BTW.. My son didn't have a Maths A level either so he had to do a one year Math foundation course at Uni. before his Degree course started..
Cant give to much advice about qualifications.. I left school at 16 skipping and jumping!
Thats when my education really began.

andy222
20th July 2013, 08:55
Aerospace looks good if hes into engineering.

Terpe
20th July 2013, 09:49
Lots of good information already Graham.
Here's mine - an apprentice at Rolls-Royce (http://www.rolls-royce.com/careers/what_can_do/graduates/apprenticeships/)

World-class and world leading organisation.
Doesn't mean just engineering either.

I always wanted to go either to art college or to the catering college, but my dad wouldn't hear of it. Directed me into engineering.
What upsets at the time.

I remained with that company for almost 35 years and enjoyed a truly fabulous working life. Mostly with Railways, which was a passion anyway.
No regrets whatsoever.

grahamw48
20th July 2013, 10:19
Thats why I didn't mention the Army!!

BTW.. My son didn't have a Maths A level either so he had to do a one year Math foundation course at Uni. before his Degree course started..
Cant give to much advice about qualifications.. I left school at 16 skipping and jumping!
Thats when my education really began.

Yes, I thought that was maybe the case Fred. :wink:

I too fled school at 16, which is why I'm gently persuading my son to stay in education a bit longer...hopefully so that he doesn't have to live off his wits as much as I had to. :smile:

grahamw48
20th July 2013, 10:23
Peter...thanks for the link and the advice. :xxgrinning--00xx3: