Michael Parnham
17th July 2013, 22:35
I agree with that Rayna! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
18th July 2013, 10:40
to be honest I have not found any philippino food that I actually like

grahamw48
18th July 2013, 10:52
I like the Peanut brittle...and Pili nuts...and Bananas and Coconuts and Pineapples and Mangos and Cloud9 choccy bars. :smile:

joebloggs
18th July 2013, 11:00

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
18th July 2013, 14:57
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFGCr9KsqUA

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Enjoyed that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:hubbahubba:

Terpe
18th July 2013, 15:00

You surely must like Beef Kaldereta (Beef stew) :Erm:

How about Tuna Kinilaw (or even any Kinilaw) :Erm:

Have you tried a good home made pork sisig :Erm:

jake
18th July 2013, 15:04

Is it the taste, ingredients or presentation you don't like?
There must be something you like :Erm:

Guess your mum wasn't the same as mine when it came to eating time! "you will eat what is put in front of you" At the time it didn't seem such a good rule but later on when i started traveling to different countries i realized what a valuable lesson it was.

There are some filipino foods i don't particularly like but until i have actually tried it how can i pass judgement.

Have you tried Adobo, Sinigang na Hipon, Tapa, Tocino, Lechon, Lumpia, Pancit, Talapia. The list could go on and on :smile:

Right i am off to be to dream about the next time my Bicolano neighbour gives me some Bicol express :hubbahubba:

jake
18th July 2013, 15:05
You surely must like Beef Kaldereta (Beef stew) :Erm:

How about Tuna Kinilaw (or even any Kinilaw) :Erm:

Have you tried a good home made pork sisig :Erm:

You beat me to it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
18th July 2013, 15:20
Keith doesn't like Filipino food either. :thumbsdown: But I told him, the beef stew you have here is the same as beef kaldereta in the Philippines, only spicier. But Keith doesn't eat beef so he can't say..hahaha. :icon_lol: Although Keith loves Chinese food and some of the Filipino food are based on Chinese cuisine so at least he can have some idea. He tasted adobo once when he was in Manila. He said it's okay but he won't prefer to have it. He really is fussy with food, but as long as there's a Chinese restaurant/buffet, he can enjoy food in the Philippines. His favorite restaurant in Manila is Big Buddha.

grahamw48
18th July 2013, 15:53
I'll eat more or less anything...as long as it looks dead and doesn't have fat on it. :smile:

Hmm....sounds like me first thing in the morning. :Erm:

Lumpia Shanghai ! :xxgrinning--00xx3: (I make those for myself now).

Pancit ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Here's my boy making and cooking Lumpia: :smile:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4708/richcookinglumpia.jpg

Stuart
18th July 2013, 16:08
Philippino food is great !! Not a great fan of Balut :thumbsdown: but I think that's an acquired taste as my wife doesn't like it either ... If you keep looking you will come across something you like. English food is quite bland I think... In comparison to the more highly spiced (But :Rasp: Yummy) Asian Dishes. Remember variety is the spice of life!!!! :biggrin:

tiger31
19th July 2013, 04:36
Is it the taste, ingredients or presentation you don't like?
There must be something you like :Erm:

Guess your mum wasn't the same as mine when it came to eating time! "you will eat what is put in front of you" At the time it didn't seem such a good rule but later on when i started traveling to different countries i realized what a valuable lesson it was.

There are some filipino foods i don't particular like but until i have actually tried it how can i pass judgement.

Have you tried Adobo, Sinigang na Hipon, Tapa, Tocino, Lechon, Lumpia, Pancit, Talapia. The list could go on and on :smile:

Right i am off to be to dream about the next time my Bicolano neighbour gives me some Bicol express :hubbahubba:
I guess its what your used to eating of course it has to look good also .I was brought on bangers n mash ,mince n tatties ,chips with everything hahaha I eat very few veg which philippino food is a large makeup in their dishes ,don,t forget half their meals is 50 percent rice so you need to be a lover of rice to start with .white rice 3 times a day is not a healthy diet which shows why the life expectancy in the the philippines is quite low 58 I believe

tiger31
19th July 2013, 04:44
one thing I do get irritated by is my misus constantly trying to shove philippino food into my gob ,she eats all types of stuff but the tipping point came when she tried the dried fish on me :cwm23:I have to go outside when shes cookin that crap

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 09:55
Have to admit, that is a smell too far for me too. :thumbsdown:

I can only imagine...perhaps similar to that of a tramp's underpants ?

Terpe
19th July 2013, 11:22
one thing I do get irritated by is my misus constantly trying to shove philippino food into my gob ,she eats all types of stuff but the tipping point came when she tried the dried fish on me :cwm23:I have to go outside when shes cookin that crap

Hahaha, I can also relate to that. It's pretty bad.
I've never stopped my wife cooking it as I know she only does it when she has a craving and she really does enjoy eating with a glass of beer.
Besides it gives me a chance to cook some roast lamb which my wife hates the smell and taste of :biggrin:

I think if you try some of the other foods mentioned here you'll be pleasantly surprised. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
19th July 2013, 12:02
Luckily ... :anerikke: ... WHEREVER you go ... there's likely to be a McDonalds as an alternative stand-by.

jake
19th July 2013, 13:50
I guess its what your used to eating of course it has to look good also .I was brought on bangers n mash ,mince n tatties ,chips with everything hahaha I eat very few veg which philippino food is a large makeup in their dishes ,don,t forget half their meals is 50 percent rice so you need to be a lover of rice to start with .white rice 3 times a day is not a healthy diet which shows why the life expectancy in the the philippines is quiet low 58 I believe

Checked the average life expectancy in the Philippines and it is 72. With the amount of abuse my body has taken over the years it would be a major milestone if i make that number :smile:

Go on try something new :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
19th July 2013, 14:07
Luckily ... :anerikke: ... WHEREVER you go ... there's likely to be a McDonalds as an alternative stand-by.

Would you use the alternative in Arbroath :wink:

raynaputi
19th July 2013, 14:32

The first time Keith went to Manila, we usually ate at KFC if he can't choose from any restaurants that I recommend. When he went back to UK, I didn't eat at any KFC for 5 months! :icon_lol: My officemates can't even convinced me to eat there during lunch breaks. I only started eating there again when he went back to Manila. :biggrin:

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 14:40
Typical British tourist ! :icon_lol:

I mean, he could have tried some foreign food, like Jollibee. :biggrin:

raynaputi
19th July 2013, 14:47
Typical British tourist ! :icon_lol:

I mean, he could have tried some foreign food, like Jollibee. :biggrin:

Oh he did, because there's no other choice when we stopped driving to Batangas..hahaha..:icon_lol: He even ate at Chowking but hated the food..hahaha :biggrin:

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 15:00
Oops...:cwm25:

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6784/i2p6.jpg

jake
19th July 2013, 15:15
Oops...:cwm25:

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6784/i2p6.jpg

You look like you are about to throw up :biggrin:

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 15:25
No, just waiting for my mum to smack me round the earole for eating with my fingers. Old habits die hard. :icon_lol:

(That's the one at the front of Mall of Asia in Manila).

Michael Parnham
19th July 2013, 15:56
Rayna, Your Keith is just the same as me with reference to Philippine food, I don't know what his real reason is for not eating it, but I do have my reasons. The only food I will eat when out in the Philippines is Shakeys chefs special salad and it is really nice, in fact I could just eat it now! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
19th July 2013, 16:15
Rayna, Your Keith is just the same as me with reference to Philippine food, I don't know what his real reason is for not eating it, but I do have my reasons. The only food I will eat when out in the Philippines is Shakeys chefs special salad and it is really nice, in fact I could just eat it now!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well, Keith's really really fussy with food. Even here in the UK, he wouldn't eat anything unfamiliar to him. He's just like his dad. And getting salmonella when he was in RAF made everything worse! You would laugh at him with the way he eats his food, he disects EVERYTHING to check it's all good! :icon_lol: But at least he can still eat Chinese cuisine and we regularly go to Chinese buffet so everything's great still. :xxgrinning--00xx3: He's lucky that my family in the Philippines also love going to Chinese buffets (well having a Chinese blood in my father's side, we grew up eating a lot of Chinese meals :biggrin:). :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
19th July 2013, 16:56
Keith will be along soon to defend himself. :ReadIt: :biggrin:

Terpe
19th July 2013, 19:25
Our biggest, best and most liked Chinese buffet resto had some issues lately.

Not only did UKBA have a 'field-day', but so did Trading Standards and Environmental Health.
There was talk of cats, bird traps, swans and Carp from the river Nene.

We still go there, we love it............:hubbahubba:

Michael Parnham
19th July 2013, 22:46
Well, Keith's really really fussy with food. Even here in the UK, he wouldn't eat anything unfamiliar to him. He's just like his dad. And getting salmonella when he was in RAF made everything worse! You would laugh at him with the way he eats his food, he disects EVERYTHING to check it's all good! :icon_lol: But at least he can still eat Chinese cuisine and we regularly go to Chinese buffet so everything's great still. :xxgrinning--00xx3: He's lucky that my family in the Philippines also love going to Chinese buffets (well having a Chinese blood in my father's side, we grew up eating a lot of Chinese meals :biggrin:). :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I won't eat anything unfamiliar Rayna!

fred
20th July 2013, 01:06
Filipino`s are just as fussy as many Brits abroad when being presented by "foreign muck"..
I made the whole family a British Christmas dinner last year..All the trimmings.
Except rice!! Oops.
They sat there looking hungry until my Mrs came out with BBQ`d marinated beef,a couple of BBQ`ed Tilapia and a huge pot of steaming hot rice..
After that I served them all a plate of Christmas pudding with brandy sauce laced with brandy..
The women hated it..The men loved it.
Must be an alcohol thing?

tiger31
20th July 2013, 04:59
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
11th October 2013, 00:12
Beef tapa and pork sisig are my favourites so far. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
11th October 2013, 08:41
I'm in fruit and nut heaven there, as Bananas and Mangos are my favourite fruits, and Coconuts, Peanuts and Pili nuts, my favourite nuts. :Jump:

mendoza82
11th October 2013, 11:33
my husband loves my own version of fried rice mixed up with olive oil,fresh garlic,bacon,ham,egg,sauges in a jar from 99p store haha,green peas,carrots,mushroom,leeks,and soy sauce he asked me this 3 days in a row,lol:biggrin:

grahamw48
11th October 2013, 11:55
:cwm25:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4741/0dhj.jpg

lordna
11th October 2013, 13:40
Well i don't like eating chicken brains, eyeballs etc but Most Filipino foods i have tried i like INCLUDING DRIED FISH!

Barbecued chicken intestines, Blood stew (forget the name), sisig, adobo, humba, kinilaw, Kaldereta, sinigang whatever...bring it on! I like them all. I miss the fresh and cheap fish, crab etc.cRab cooked in coconut ...lovely!

Agree with Graham the fruits there are fantastic...particularly miss jack fruit, those green mangoes eaten hard with salt. Even like the durian.

...but then i do enjoy eating and trying new things. We eat filipino foods here in the UK out of preference to British food.

sars_notd_virus
11th October 2013, 16:11
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFGCr9KsqUA

..the pigs ears looks lush!!..yum yum:hubbahubba:

Arthur Little
11th October 2013, 16:34
..the pigs ears looks lush!!..yum yum:hubbahubba:

Lush? :biggrin: ... gosh, am I HEARING right?