PDA

View Full Version : balakbayan boxes

imagine
4th July 2013, 10:42
iv just been on phone to lbc, the line wasn't so good and was difficult to understand what the girl was saying,

i was trying to find out if i can have the boxes delivered, then request a pick up later when im ready , instead of supplying a pick up date now, because i need time to fill, and wont be ready for a collect untill my house sale completion,so i cant fix a pick up date yet

can anyone tell me if they have done it this way with lbc?

Michael Parnham
4th July 2013, 11:26
I'm sure its ok, we had our box delivered to us 11 months ago, we haven't even started to fill it yet. We got our box from Belwood UK.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
4th July 2013, 11:41
iv just been on phone to lbc, the line wasn't so good and was difficult to understand what the girl was saying,

i was trying to find out if i can have the boxes delivered, then request a pick up later when im ready , instead of supplying a pick up date now, because i need time to fill, and wont be ready for a collect untill my house sale completion,so i cant fix a pick up date yet

can anyone tell me if they have done it this way with lbc?

Yes, you can arrange for the date when to pick up the box when you are ready. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
4th July 2013, 11:52
I'm sure its ok, we had our box delivered to us 11 months ago, we haven't even started to fill it yet. We got our box from Belwood UK.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

thank you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
4th July 2013, 11:52
Yes, you can arrange for the date when to pick up the box when you are ready. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

thank you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
5th July 2013, 07:14
Better go get plenty and plenty and plenty of packaging tape :wink:

You may find that LBC will require £10 deposit per box. This is deductable from shipping cost at pick-up.

Be sure to pack everything securely and safely.
These boxes are container cargo and will receive the usual knocks and movements. During the journey temperatures inside that box may reach in excess of 40C
Use enough for box security and for preventing the ingress of water.

Have fun filling

imagine
5th July 2013, 07:32
Better go get plenty and plenty and plenty of packaging tape :wink:

You may find that LBC will require £10 deposit per box. This is deductable from shipping cost at pick-up.

higher price than what it says on their web site, perhaps because im way up here in aberdeen , priced £20 deposit per box, jumbo box £105 per box, junior box £75,

she took all my details,except payment details, said someone will get back to me,is that normal?she was difficult to understand , anyway iv not heard anything yet

Terpe
5th July 2013, 07:49
higher price than what it says on their web site, perhaps because im way up here in aberdeen , priced £20 deposit per box, jumbo box £105 per box, junior box £75,

she took all my details,except payment details, said someone will get back to me,is that normal?she was difficult to understand , anyway iv not heard anything yet

That's not right Stewart. She should confirm the size and number of boxes you request, the address to deliver the boxes to you and the date that the boxes will be delivered.
Make sure LBC has your mobile number and try to get hold of the number of the guy who will deliver.

If you don't organise them you may end up staying at home all day just waiting for them.

imagine
5th July 2013, 08:00
That's not right Stewart. She should confirm the size and number of boxes you request, the address to deliver the boxes to you and the date that the boxes will be delivered.
Make sure LBC has your mobile number and try to get hold of the number of the guy who will deliver.

If you don't organise them you may end up staying at home all day just waiting for them.

thanks
she took details, box sizes and how many, my phone numbers and email, my address and area they going to, said someone will get back to me for delivery arangments, think she said wharehouse man or delivery man,

just thought, when is a deposit usually taken, on delivery of boxes or before over phone,
iv a few things to do , then il call them back, hopefully get someone a little clearer

Steve.r
5th July 2013, 09:36
The delivery man will take the deposit for the boxes and give you a inventory list form

imagine
5th July 2013, 09:54
The delivery man will take the deposit for the boxes and give you a inventory list form

great thanks, got more info here from you guys than i did from lbc :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
5th July 2013, 11:04
how do you guys understand what they are saying, i guess your used to it:icon_lol:
im not so used to it, as Lolita speaks excellent english,

anyway iv just phoned them again now,
a guy this time and a little better to understand, he checked my details, and told me an agent will call me to arrange a delivery date & pick up:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
5th July 2013, 14:32
Dont forget to buy a good bottle of Champagne ready for popping inside the airport taxi.
Its a nice feeling popping that cork!
You must be getting a bit excited now!!

imagine
5th July 2013, 15:07
Dont forget to buy a good bottle of Champagne ready for popping inside the airport taxi.
Its a nice feeling popping that cork!
You must be getting a bit excited now!!
ah yes champers:biggrin::NEW1:
yes the excitment is beginning to break through the stress now :icon_lol:

imagine
6th July 2013, 17:21
got a phone call a few hours ago,and arranged to bring my 3 boxes, a local couple just delivered then now,
the guys wife is from phil,

he asked me for £10 deposit per box and not the £20 i was told, perhaps i misunderstood thinking i was told £20 dep per box,
i better get on amazon for that brown ticky tape :icon_lol:

imagine
8th July 2013, 10:26
been looking on amazon for brown tape,there are a few different makes,
some of the customer reviews for well known tape, like scotch, i seen bad reviews, like tape not sticking very well to boxes and tear easy,
what i thought would be easy now leaves me undecided which tape,:Erm: best as i want those boxes secure

any recomendations appreciated , and how many rolls do you think i need for 3 jumbo boxes?

Michael Parnham
8th July 2013, 11:19
some of the customer reviews for well known tape, like scotch, i seen bad reviews, like tape not sticking very well to boxes and tear easy,
what i thought would be easy now leaves me undecided which tape,:Erm: best as i want those boxes secure

any recomendations appreciated , and how many rolls do you think i need for 3 jumbo boxes?

Buy your tape from the post office Stewart, you'll need approx two and a half rolls per box so buy 9 just to be sure. Try not to become too dizzy when walking round the boxes, Enjoy!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
8th July 2013, 11:24

I'm too far away but try to find someone locally who has box strapping equipment :smile:

http://danpack.co.uk/image/cache/data/strapping-kits-769x209.jpg

Go for PVC (Vinyl) tape rather than the poor quality PP (Polyprop) tape

imagine
8th July 2013, 11:28
Buy your tape from the post office Stewart, you'll need approx two and a half rolls per box so buy 9 just to be sure. Try not to become too dizzy when walking round the boxes, Enjoy!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
im thinking of putting one by for me, cheap trip :icon_lol:

imagine
8th July 2013, 11:29
I'm too far away but try to find someone locally who has box strapping equipment :smile:

Go for PVC (Vinyl) tape rather than the poor quality PP (Polyprop) tape

thanks ded:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
8th July 2013, 13:36
Hi Stewart
Just to let you know I have a leaflet from LBC that they were handing out at Barrio Fiesta.
Jumbo box prices from Scotland (Zone 5 ) are £80 to Manila £90 Luz £100 to Vis/Min. £10 discount if you send 3 boxes £20 discount if you send 4 boxes before 31st July.

imagine
8th July 2013, 13:43
Hi Stewart
Just to let you know I have a leaflet from LBC that they were handing out at Barrio Fiesta.
Jumbo box prices from Scotland (Zone 5 ) are £80 to Manila £90 Luz £100 to Vis/Min. £10 discount if you send 3 boxes £20 discount if you send 4 boxes before 31st July.

thanks, was quoted £105 per box from aberdeen to bukidnon,deposit on recieving empty box was less than i was told ,so hopefully when i send with a bit of luck maybe less too

grahamw48
8th July 2013, 14:52
I packed all my tools because I was originally intending to build myself a vehicle that would fit in with the local Jeepney concept (but having my slight modifications)...like this: :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlL_IogcPo8

imagine
8th July 2013, 16:00
I packed all my tools because I was originally intending to build myself a vehicle that would fit in with the local Jeepney concept (but having my slight modifications)...like this: :smile:

oh yeah :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
11th July 2013, 20:43
goodness me the agent sent a txt saying she pick up boxes this sunday,:Erm:

anyway looking at the bottom of the box , looks a bit like weight inside would push out the bottom,

any tips on how to make the bottom strong ?

marksroomspain
11th July 2013, 20:54
Hi imagine myself and my wife sent a jumbo box with lbc about 12 weeks ago and it arrived within 7 weeks no probs at all.

We secured the bottom and the top with brown parcel tape all over and overlapping onto the sides followed again by the silver duck tape (we bought it from the pound shop much cheaper but just as strong) then followed by more brown parcel tape.

Like I said it arrived fully intact no probs and it must of weighed a ton the amount of stuff my wife packed into it so just hope this helps:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
11th July 2013, 21:04
Hi imagine myself and my wife sent a jumbo box with lbc about 12 weeks ago and it arrived within 7 weeks no probs at all.

We secured the bottom and the top with brown parcel tape all over and overlapping onto the sides followed again by the silver duck tape (we bought it from the pound shop much cheaper but just as strong) then followed by more brown parcel tape.

Like I said it arrived fully intact no probs and it must of weighed a ton the amount of stuff my wife packed into it so just hope this helps:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ah yes the duct tape is webbed much stronger , thanks :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
11th July 2013, 21:34
This is how I packed my BB box.. :biggrin:

grahamw48
11th July 2013, 21:41
:xxgrinning--00xx3: That's the way to do it. Thicker layers on edges too. Well worth a few quid on tape and some time. :smile:

marksroomspain
11th July 2013, 21:46

Hi raynaputi I'm sure thats the same box as we sent :biggrin: my wife used about £10 worth of tape to secure it :icon_lol: if I had a pic of it you would not be able to tell the difference.:icon_lol:

raynaputi
11th July 2013, 22:20
:xxgrinning--00xx3: That's the way to do it. Thicker layers on edges too. Well worth a few quid on tape and some time. :smile:

That box contained a complete sound system (old one though..2 speakers, amplifier, cd & cassette player, and even a vhs player..hahaha)..My dad loved it! He has a lot of cassette tapes and he was able to listen to it all when the box arrived (we do have a sound system in our house in the Philippines but the new ones don't have cassette players) and my mum said that he listens to it everyday. It also contains a new deep fat fryer for my mum (Keith bought it but didn't like it), lots of toys for my nephews, clothes and some chocolates. I even managed to put a memory foam pillow for my sis (I bought it but didn't like it). I really don't know how I managed to pack it all in that jumbo box..hahaha :icon_lol:

imagine
11th July 2013, 22:25
just enough left for address :xxgrinning--00xx3:

whats the package label sticker here box above the addresses on box, ?

raynaputi
11th July 2013, 22:28
Hi raynaputi I'm sure thats the same box as we sent :biggrin: my wife used about £10 worth of tape to secure it :icon_lol: if I had a pic of it you would not be able to tell the difference.:icon_lol:

Hahahaha...We Filipinas do know how to do things the same way. :icon_lol:

imagine
11th July 2013, 22:30
That box contained a complete sound system (old one though..2 speakers, amplifier, cd & cassette player, and even a vhs player..hahaha)..My dad loved it! He has a lot of cassette tapes and he was able to listen to it all when the box arrived (we do have a sound system in our house in the Philippines but the new ones don't have cassette players) and my mum said that he listens to it everyday. It also contains a new deep fat fryer for my mum (Keith bought it but didn't like it), lots of toys for my nephews, clothes and some chocolates. I even managed to put a memory foam pillow for my sis (I bought it but didn't like it). I really don't know how I managed to pack it all in that jumbo box..hahaha :icon_lol:

sounds heavy, im concerned about the weight i will load in, its an agent she will pick them up,the empty boxes where delivered on the back seat of a car, so makes me wonder:Erm: , i mean i would struggle to lift my boxes when full

imagine
11th July 2013, 22:31
Hahahaha...We Filipinas do know how to do things the same way. :icon_lol:

then i will do it the Filipina way

grahamw48
11th July 2013, 23:48
sounds heavy, im concerned about the weight i will load in, its an agent she will pick them up,the empty boxes where delivered on the back seat of a car, so makes me wonder:Erm: , i mean i would struggle to lift my boxes when full

I'm sure they collect them in a big van or truck Stewart. Stop worrying mate.

Mine (6) were all the biggest size and massively heavy. Not a problem...unless all completely filled with canned stuff. :smile:

imagine
12th July 2013, 06:14
I'm sure they collect them in a big van or truck Stewart. Stop worrying mate.

Mine (6) were all the biggest size and massively heavy. Not a problem...unless all completely filled with canned stuff. :smile:

cheers :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
12th July 2013, 06:52
Here are how I sent mine last time

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/Bike%20Photos/DSC03693.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/Discusboy123/media/Bike%20Photos/DSC03693.jpg.html)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/Bike%20Photos/DSC03700.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/Discusboy123/media/Bike%20Photos/DSC03700.jpg.html)

imagine
12th July 2013, 07:01

unfortunatly i cant seem to get hold of a strapping kit to lend or hire, too expensive to buy

Steve.r
12th July 2013, 07:25
unfortunatly i cant seem to get hold of a strapping kit to lend or hire, too expensive to buy That's a shame as most companies have them somewhere. Alternatively, you could go around the box with good gaffa tape/duct tape. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
12th July 2013, 07:43
That's a shame as most companies have them somewhere. Alternatively, you could go around the box with good gaffa tape/duct tape. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
12th July 2013, 08:08
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nips-Strapping-Kit-Hand/dp/B002C2XR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373612682&sr=8-1&keywords=strapping+kit

Small price to pay when you consider the value of the goods in the box. Well worth it for the extra security in my opinion.

imagine
12th July 2013, 08:18
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nips-Strapping-Kit-Hand/dp/B002C2XR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373612682&sr=8-1&keywords=strapping+kit

Small price to pay when you consider the value of the goods in the box. Well worth it for the extra security in my opinion.

thanks for that one,:xxgrinning--00xx3: i had been looking on amazon but didnt come across that, maybe because i was looking at more like professional looking ones which were quite expensive

Michael Parnham
12th July 2013, 19:27

I've sent many boxes over many years, always used a good quality packing tape from post office and taped the whole box. Addressed it with permanent marker on all sides, never had a problem extremely strong!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
12th July 2013, 19:57

i have ordered it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
12th July 2013, 19:58
I've sent many boxes over many years, always used a good quality packing tape from post office and taped the whole box. Addressed it with permanent marker on all sides, never had a problem extremely strong!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

han
12th July 2013, 20:07
This thread is great esp for those who are in need of ideas like me on how to send BBox to Philippines.
My husband and I will send one to my family in Mindanao this year, by the way this is our first time to do this :biggrin: I would like to know if there is any LBC branch close where we live, we live in Scottish Borders. Thank YOu.

robbie bobby
12th July 2013, 20:34
This thread is great esp for those who are in need of ideas like me on how to send BBox to Philippines.
My husband and I will send one to my family in Mindanao this year, by the way this is our first time to do this :biggrin: I would like to know if there is any LBC branch close where we live, we live in Scottish Borders. Thank YOu.

There isn't I'm afraid.

I'm from Galashiels and always had the same problem.

You could send it with a different courier to London then on from there with LBC .That's what we did but other than that I don't know.

Where are you living in the borders?

imagine
12th July 2013, 20:39

there is no lbc branch here where i live in aberdeenshire scotland, it is an agent for LBC,
call LBC, there may be an agent near you, if so they will forward your order to that agent

han
12th July 2013, 20:44
There isn't I'm afraid.

I'm from Galashiels and always had the same problem.

You could send it with a different courier to London then on from there with LBC .That's what we did but other than that I don't know.

Where are you living in the borders?

Hello robbie bobby we live in Grantshouse close to Berwick upon Tweed.

Thanks for your reply imagine, yes I will check on it.

scottishbride
12th July 2013, 21:47

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/Bike%20Photos/DSC03693.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/Discusboy123/media/Bike%20Photos/DSC03693.jpg.html)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/Bike%20Photos/DSC03700.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/Discusboy123/media/Bike%20Photos/DSC03700.jpg.html)

How much did you pay for this? Just curious?

grahamw48
12th July 2013, 23:12
Bear in mind that it is recommended that you completely cover the boxes in tape as additional protection from them getting WET (and therefore considereably weakened) at any time during their long journey.

Well worth the extra time and trouble IMO.

imagine
17th July 2013, 20:06

i ordered this and it arrived today, i tested it out on a small box i had, well im impressed,
it would be better with a tool to pull it tight, i have seen this simple tool on youtube vid using it with the snips strappi, but its not on amazon, im thinking it should be easy to make something myself,
the strap pulls tight and squashes the box edges, so i have ordered some edge protectors,
thanks for your recomendation :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
17th July 2013, 20:35
i ordered this and it arrived today, i tested it out on a small box i had, well im impressed,
it would be better with a tool to pull it tight, i have seen this simple tool on youtube vid using it with the snips strappi, but its not on amazon, im thinking it should be easy to make something myself,
the strap pulls tight and squashes the box edges, so i have ordered some edge protectors,
thanks for your recomendation :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My pleasure, glad to be of help :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
17th July 2013, 22:35
My tensioning tool is like this

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Heavy-Duty-12MM-Hand-Tensioner-Pallet-Strapping-Banding-Tensioning-Tool-832313-/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/nt0AAMXQiNdRfLdp/$T2eC16J,!ysE9sy0h(WgBRfLdpyse!~~60_35.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-12MM-Hand-Tensioner-Pallet-Strapping-Banding-Tensioning-Tool-832313-/271114117061?pt=UK_Packaging_Materials&hash=item3f1fa91fc5

You'll also need the metal seals and crimping tool

imagine
17th July 2013, 22:50
My tensioning tool is like this

You'll also need the metal seals and crimping tool

yes i seen this one, but i think its too much to pay for what i need, if i was using often then thats ok,

this tensioning tool on the vid, would be simple and cheap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNmUab5-srI

somebody
19th July 2013, 17:23
We just had three boxes get to pinas and have found investing in a decent tape roll dispenser the type they use in a warehouse and bulk buying clear tape by the dozens is a good investment. Costs a bit but makes the boxes if you tape inside and outside and use long lengths of tape around the box up down and sideways to strengthen the box means they are basically water proof and so so much stronger. It costs a bit ore but clear tape means we can cover even the text. Also worth taping on the address and contact numbers printed on a a4 sheet on the other sides.
As others have said its going half way around the world best to invest.

With regards the pick up speak to your local pick up guys normally they have a set time they go to an area and at least once a regular will supply boxes with no deposit.

imagine
19th July 2013, 17:35
thanks somebody :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
21st July 2013, 01:21
thanks somebody :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Most welcome

When I write tape inside and out I mean really go for it with as long as possibly tape runs as you can. You need plenty of room and ideally two people with one prepared to get inside the box at times. But from reports from a delighted little sister in law that the boxes look like new under the tape. In the past I have seen the old boxes months later sitting at the wife's aunts house still being used for storage outside as they are almost indestructible!

Tape especially once two or three layers thick with tape running both vertically, horizontal and from say bottom to top in a x shape. Then tapes around the whole box with underneath to up the sides and all the way round if there are two of you strong enough the lean one on its side once full.
The wife can put lead weights inside the boxes and the boxes will be tough enough it seems.

Also keeping it white under the tape helps it on the last stage of the journey where it may end up from what i read being transported in a open top truck or stood in the open under the searing sun.

imagine
21st August 2013, 14:01
oh dear , my boxes all taped up, to be picked up this friday,

i totally sealed the outside of the box with clear cellotape excludingthe part above address box that they need, but i just gone on LBC web page to check guidlines again and it says,

Do not use cellophane tape, duct tape, masking tape, string or rope to seal packages.:doh

dont know if im going to have a problem with that,:doh

grahamw48
21st August 2013, 14:04
Huh.
Haven't heard that one before....quite the opposite. :Erm:

You need to speak to them.

imagine
21st August 2013, 14:09
the forms, description of items, how detailed do these need to be,
i got clothes, bedding,towels, shoes, tools,kitchen utensils,plates ect, photo albums, flymo, all will be listed as second hand,

is it better not to mention the flymo?

do i have to give qty of each, and all the small too many to list items

imagine
21st August 2013, 14:10
Huh.
Haven't heard that one before....quite the opposite. :Erm:

You need to speak to them.

i just managed to get hold of the agent, she says it will be ok she will take them:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
21st August 2013, 16:11
I just listed a few things...not an exact list. Headed 'Secondhand household goods and personal items'.

raynaputi
21st August 2013, 16:15
I just listed a few things...not an exact list. Headed 'Secondhand household goods and personal items'.

For me, I listed everything, but like you, I indicated "old" or "secondhand" in every items other than the chocolates and other food. :biggrin:

grahamw48
21st August 2013, 16:19
Yes, but I was ACTUALLY sending a load of secondhand rubbish. :icon_lol:

imagine
21st August 2013, 21:25
Yes, but I was ACTUALLY sending a load of secondhand rubbish. :icon_lol:

most of mine is too :icon_lol:

well it may be someone else's rubish but to me its not :biggrin:

grahamw48
21st August 2013, 21:42
Exactly...and all needed to be bought again otherwise....if you can get it in the Phils. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
21st August 2013, 21:54
thats all thats left of my worldly accumilated posetions over many years, now down to 3 jumbo boxes, 1 suitcase, 1 carry on bag , lap top, and the clothes i will be wearing, plus flight ticket and passport:biggrin:

grahamw48
21st August 2013, 22:37
Been there done that. :icon_lol:

All the best mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
21st August 2013, 22:39
Been there done that. :icon_lol:

All the best mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
thanks graham:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
23rd August 2013, 22:06
well its friday 10 pm after staying in all day the agent hasn't turned up for the boxes :NoNo:

fred
24th August 2013, 03:40
Have you bought the Champagne yet?

imagine
24th August 2013, 14:16
Have you bought the Champagne yet?

im a tight fisted yorkshire man :icon_lol:
im teetotal but im sure i can bend my ways to celebrate :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
24th August 2013, 17:15
my boxes now collected and on their way :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
24th August 2013, 19:33
my boxes now collected and on their way :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Great stuff Stewart. They'll be there soon enough.

Looks like the plan is moving on at a rapid rate now.
Watch out Phils he's coming soon :wink:

imagine
25th August 2013, 13:53
3 weeks today counting down :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3::airline:

Michael Parnham
25th August 2013, 16:39
You'll arrive before your boxes Stewart!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
25th August 2013, 17:37
You'll arrive before your boxes Stewart!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

yea but i will be in manila when they arrive in malaybalay, but family will take them in :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
5th September 2013, 13:06
my boxes at sea now on their way :biggrin:

grahamw48
5th September 2013, 15:42
They'll notify you when they arrive. :biggrin:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8166/3g83.jpg

imagine
5th September 2013, 22:50
They'll notify you when they arrive. :biggrin:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8166/3g83.jpg
:icon_lol::icon_lol: