PDA

View Full Version : The Teach - Part 5

Alan
13th September 2007, 11:34
Hello class! Nice to see you all again today.

Today's lesson from The Teach is - Geography.

Of course we have all heard of boring place names like Oxford, London and Manila........but how about some of the more 'unusual' place names?
Today we shall concentrate on some of the looooooonger place names in the world.

Let us begin in the good old UK - and Wales in particular:

Ever been to LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH

or [B]GORSAFAWDDACHAIDRAIGODANHEDDOGLEDDOLONPENRHYNAREURDRAETHCEREDIGION

Moving further afield, let's go to New Zealand and visit TAUMATAWHAKATANGIHANGAKOAUAUOTAMATEATURIPUKAKAPIKI- MAUNGAHORONUKUPOKAIWHENUAKITANATAHU

Finally, nearer to home for our Filipino colleagues - did you know that the Thai name for Bangkok gives us (I think) the longest place name in the world - namely: KRUNGTHEP MAHANAKHON BOVORN RATANAKOSIN MAHINTHARAYUTTHAYA MAHADILOKPOP NOPARATRATCHATHANI BURIROM UDOMRATCHANIVETMAHASATHAN AMORNPIMAN AVATARNS ATHIT SAKKATHATTIYAVISNUKARMPRASIT

I shall, of course, expect you to learn these for a spelling test later in the week. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Bye for now.

Al. :)

Alan
13th September 2007, 19:20
By the way - still on Geography - can anybody tell me the answer to this?

There is only one American State that has a single syllable.

What is it?

Sticker for the winner.

jimeve
13th September 2007, 19:27
hi Allan, Maine

Alan
13th September 2007, 19:34
WOW!!! A winner already - and from a Northener to boot. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Good on ya mate.

joebloggs
13th September 2007, 20:05
my wife just :cwm3: for the ring post, feel a bit :Cuckoo: now, can i ask you ex-headmaster Alan if you think keith is a confirmed misanthrope, with his condescending badinage and his contumelious epithet towards fellow posters ?

walesrob
13th September 2007, 20:07
is a confirmed misanthrope, with his condescending badinage and his contumelious epithet

Is that a serious condition? :cwm3:

joebloggs
13th September 2007, 20:10
my doc wife don't even know what that is.. little hope for scouser keith then :cwm24: , could always try a dictionary for advice :D

Alan
13th September 2007, 21:30
my wife just :cwm3: for the ring post, feel a bit :Cuckoo: now, can i ask you ex-headmaster Alan if you think keith is a confirmed misanthrope, with his condescending badinage and his contumelious epithet towards fellow posters ?

It could very well be misconstrued sagacity.

walesrob
13th September 2007, 22:08
misconstrued sagacity.

Sounds painful :yikes:

flyingsparks
13th September 2007, 22:47
I've been to
GORSAFAWDDACHAIDRAIGODANHEDDOGLEDDOLONPENRHYNAREURDRAETHCEREDIGION many times. Its a station on a miniature railway in Wales, it was renamed 'Golf Halt' earlier this year.
Presumably because the passengers had trouble asking for a ticket there. :D

kimmi
14th September 2007, 01:19
that was too impressive teacher!!those were really really really long names of places..well good tHhng that the GORSAFAWDDACHAIDRAIGODANHEDDOGLEDDOLONPENRHYNAREURDRAETHCEREDIGION has rename early this year..:)

gracia143
14th September 2007, 03:04
that was too impressive teacher!!those were really really really long names of places..well good tHhng that the GORSAFAWDDACHAIDRAIGODANHEDDOGLEDDOLONPENRHYNAREURDRAETHCEREDIGION has rename early this year..:)

I feel dizzy! I think I need a shot of rhum Sir--could you pls pass that bottle?:Cuckoo:

Pepe n Pilar
14th September 2007, 03:23
Wait i have to re read them....... my gosh!!!!