PDA

View Full Version : marrieges that may go wrong.....

philcherry
13th September 2007, 11:12
I know this subject is looking on the black side of things but it occured to us what might be the outcome if a married couple
[ filipina and englishman] needed to divorce after living as man in wife in the uk and had been wed in the Phil's.
Intrested to know for all of our sakes what the advantages and disadvantages are.
If anyone has any information or stories we would be most grateful to recieve them as it will be usefull reading for all concerned,thank you.:

kimmi
13th September 2007, 11:18
do u have kids?can u pls tell us a little more info about ur situation so we can understand it better..

philcherry
13th September 2007, 11:27
hi kimmmy,is not really our situation as we are not married yet my bf is and "english " too.but we are helping out on a friends request to know more.which has made ourselves interested.

philcherry
13th September 2007, 11:31
do u have kids?can u pls tell us a little more info about ur situation so we can understand it better..

because of the complications that might arise in certain circumstances.in eg, divorce conflicting with annulment.in relation to british law and Phillippines law.

salamat......

andypaul
13th September 2007, 11:59
Im no expert and don't wish to become one in the future.

But like Kimmi it depends on children the couple have, the visa status of the Filpino ie spouse, ilr or citzen. If you married in the uk or phill as to what would might happen.

charlwill
13th September 2007, 12:07
because of the complications that might arise in certain circumstances.in eg, divorce conflicting with annulment.in relation to british law and Phillippines law.

salamat......

:Erm::Erm: The story is a bit blunt. You never told us how many years they're been married, do they have child/children. Well, anyway, if they will end up having divorce and their worries is their marriage in the Phils., it's not a problem. As long as the woman still a filipino citizen, divorce is valid in the Phils., foreign national will be the one to file divorce cause if filipina it will be void. Both then, can remarry, either here in the U.K or in the Phils.

love8888
13th September 2007, 12:36
Divorce/ annulment is not the right answer and is not advantage that they can remarried again whenever they are... my concern really specially if they have/had child/children as they are the most who suffer and sacrifice for what the outcome of their parents divorce and it does affect to them.There is no advantages and disadvantages for me I can't see any if there is.

philcherry
14th September 2007, 12:42
Im no expert and don't wish to become one in the future.

But like Kimmi it depends on children the couple have, the visa status of the Filpino ie spouse, ilr or citzen. If you married in the uk or phill as to what would might happen..

hi andypaul,:Hellooo:
thanks for the reply.We have no children and we are still courting, i am still in England and my gf is still in Phil's.We have met in Phil's and know we love eachother very much.We were wondering about marrying in the Phil's or the in UK. would be nice to marry in the Phil's but were thinking of what possible implications might evolve if we did marry there and then lived as man and wife in the UK.We are not for minute thinking we will want to divorce and intend to spend our lives together but it is an interesting point to consider if anyone who for whatever reason needs to divorce, kids or no kids at that time what the implications might be? when they have been married in the Phil's but lived together as man and wife in the UK?

THANKS......

LEAHnew
14th September 2007, 13:39
Think positive....If you're thingking about MARRIAGE then mean it...what andypaul said don't wish to become in the future...
Good Luck.....

ervenescence
14th September 2007, 16:50
Im a bit confused here philcherry.

hi kimmmy,is not really our situation as we are not married yet my bf is and "english " too.

You was a girl with a bf?

thanks for the reply.We have no children and we are still courting, i am still in England and my gf is still in Phil's.

And this time you're the man with a gf?

Or perhaps im lost..lol :Cuckoo:

kimmi
15th September 2007, 02:18
me too are confused..who's who?

anya
15th September 2007, 03:07
this is confusing. dont thinking about separating even before you get married. you're jinxing it.

philcherry
16th September 2007, 19:04
Hello everyone,
Well we are sorry for any confusion but if you all would care to read the reply to andypaul it has our explanation there. It's all about whether it is best to marry in the Phillippines or the UK as a point of law. It must be said we were originally asking the question on behalf of a friend and just used ourselves as an example. While we were asking the question for our friend we were interested in how the law worked anyway. We are very positive to stay together as man and wife but also positive enough to be able to talk openly and not be afraid about this subject as it's always best to know these things.
We're just sorry everyone seems to be making a bad light of it.

fred
17th September 2007, 00:36
Hello everyone,
Well we are sorry for any confusion but if you all would care to read the reply to andypaul it has our explanation there. It's all about whether it is best to marry in the Phillippines or the UK as a point of law. It must be said we were originally asking the question on behalf of a friend and just used ourselves as an example. While we were asking the question for our friend we were interested in how the law worked anyway. We are very positive to stay together as man and wife but also positive enough to be able to talk openly and not be afraid about this subject as it's always best to know these things.
We're just sorry everyone seems to be making a bad light of it.

Yep..
Ask a simple question!!
Most here are very helpful..
One or two however..:cwm3:

gracia143
17th September 2007, 03:18
Yeah,right Fred! Start them with "what ifs" instead of using metaphors:icon_lol:. Kidding aside,you're welcome to ask because this is why the Admin created this very informative,wacky at times,dramatic and funny forum.

As for the divorce/annulment thing? It's a little scary to think about it at this point in time, why not cross the bridge when you get there? Maybe continue with the relationship, enjoy the moment, and when the going gets :Cuckoo::furious3::Brick::bigcry: and you think it's the right time to seek legal advise, do not hesitate to ask again I can give you my lawyer's number, website and office address. Or better yet, search the forum because all your queries have been discussed on here already I'm sure of that. The answers are all there actually. Anyway, have a nice day fellas!

KeithD
17th September 2007, 08:30
One or two however..:cwm3:

That's no way to talk about the Moderators :icon_lol:

joebloggs
17th September 2007, 13:26
That's no way to talk about the Moderators :icon_lol:

fred said 1 or 2 :D, i think he meant one person keith ... YOU :doh

i don't think it matters wether your married in uk, philippines or Timbuktu, if an overseas weddings is legal and registered in the country where it took place then the marriage should be legally recognized in the UK :xxgrinning--00xx3:

walesrob
17th September 2007, 13:40
i don't think it matters wether your married in uk, philippines or Timbuktu, if an overseas weddings is legal and registered in the country where it took place then the marriage should be legally recognized in the UK :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I've had this conversation a few times with Peter (our missing in action moderator - Pete where are you?).

Think about it...when you apply for a spouse visa, you must prove to the British Embassy that you are legally married. Now, the British Embassy represents the UK government, the Queen, whatever, so if the Embassy reconizes your marraige as legal, then the authorities in the UK will also see it as being legal. This was confirmed by the local Registrar of Marraiges, and she also said that if you wanted, you could deposit a copy of the marraige certificate at the FCO, but this is only for filing purposes.

robeth
17th September 2007, 21:43
I dont have the accuracy but I think the couple who divorces after the filipina (wife) gained her british passport will automatically validates the annulment of marriage if the wedding was held in the philippines.

if they divorced before the filipina gained a british passport, she still have to apply for annulment in the philippines irregardless of the length of time she stayed in UK.

So i find it more convenient for a filipina to get married in UK because it doesnt affect her status in the Philippines if ever the marriage break down before her citizenship.

love8888
18th September 2007, 11:39
So i find it more convenient for a filipina to get married in UK because it doesnt affect her status in the Philippines if ever the marriage break down before her citizenship.

So it's convenient as well for a british get married in Philippines because it doesnt affect his status in the UK if ever the marriage break down.

Some people telling marriage in Philippines are not valid here how and why? in that case our marriage in PI is useless here in UK but somehow the british embassy let us come here then? it's a bit confused innit.

I know that when a filipina get married in UK they must registered it to the Philippine Embassy here in London otherwise their marriage will not valid as well in the Phillipines.

robeth
18th September 2007, 14:21
Any legal marriage is valid and acknowledged anywhere.

robeth
18th September 2007, 14:24
Only the difference is that marriage laws are different in any country and that Philippines dont have divorce, only annulment. And to file an annulment in the Philippines is a very lenghty expensive process, and not all were granted.

charlwill
18th September 2007, 14:31
[quote=robeth;35853]I dont have the accuracy but I think the couple who divorces after the filipina (wife) gained her british passport will automatically validates the annulment of marriage if the wedding was held in the philippines.

if they divorced before the filipina gained a british passport, she still have to apply for annulment in the philippines irregardless of the length of time she stayed in UK

I was married in the Phils and marriage broke down after I gained my citizenship. Rang my solicitor friends back home and they said divorced is valid in the Phils, if, the foreign national will be the one to file divorced. I have the second opinion from the solicitor in Makati that specializes annulment and said the same thing. Then, I asked them if we still need to file annulment back in Phils and they told me no need for us to that, coz divorce is VALID as long as the foreign national will be the one to file divorce against the filipina wife. So, everyone can REMARRY AGAIN.

robeth
18th September 2007, 15:10
[quote=robeth;35853]I dont have the accuracy but I think the couple who divorces after the filipina (wife) gained her british passport will automatically validates the annulment of marriage if the wedding was held in the philippines.

if they divorced before the filipina gained a british passport, she still have to apply for annulment in the philippines irregardless of the length of time she stayed in UK

I was married in the Phils and marriage broke down after I gained my citizenship. Rang my solicitor friends back home and they said divorced is valid in the Phils, if, the foreign national will be the one to file divorced. I have the second opinion from the solicitor in Makati that specializes annulment and said he same thing. Then, I asked them if we still need to file annulment back in Phils and they told me no need for us to that, coz divorce is VALID as long as the foreign national will be the one to file divorce against the filipina wife. So, everyone can REMARRY AGAIN.

Yes, and the filipina's citizenship matters a lot. She must gain her British nationality first before divorce otherwise, she stays married in the philippines.

charlwill
18th September 2007, 16:19
[quote=charlwill;35952]

Yes, and the filipina's citizenship matters a lot. She must gain her British nationality first before divorce otherwise, she stays married in the philippines.

If the wife, still a filipino citizen divorce is valid in the Phils, as long as the foreign national is the one who file the divorce. What is not valid is, if the filipina have gained a foreign citizenship and she will be the one to file divorce. Then, they will still need to file annulment back in Phils but if she a dual citizen and foreign husband file divorce using the wife's filipino citizenship then divorce is valid.

Bottom line is... filipina ( it's either she is still a filipina or gained nationality ) if she will be the one to file divorced is not valid but if the foreign national is the one who file the divorce, it is valid.

ervenescence
18th September 2007, 17:32
If the wife, still a filipino citizen divorce is valid in the Phils, as long as the foreign national is the one who file the divorce. What is not valid is, if the filipina have gained a foreign citizenship and she will be the one to file divorce. Then, they will still need to file annulment back in Phils but if she a dual citizen and foreign husband file divorce using the wife's filipino citizenship then divorce is valid. Bottom line is... filipina ( it's either she is still a filipina or gained nationality ) if she will be the one to file divorced is not valid but if the foreign national is the one who file the divorce, it is valid.

Good, i'll remember this for the future...:D (hehe kidding, hubbys browsing)

love8888
18th September 2007, 22:01
Good, i'll remember this for the future...:D (hehe kidding, hubbys browsing)

have you a cunning plan erve in the future :D

kimmi
18th September 2007, 23:28
thanks Ate Char, for enlightening me also with this issue..:)

kentish
19th September 2007, 11:25
I know that when a filipina get married in UK they must registered it to the Philippine Embassy here in London otherwise their marriage will not valid as well in the Phillipines.

Hang on a minute, does this mean that marriage of filipina citizen to a British citizen thats been done here in uk is not valid in the Phils if not registered at the PI embassy in london? Is it A MUST to register a marriage at the embassy?
CAN SOMEBODY CORRECT THIS? :Erm:

kimmi
19th September 2007, 12:01
it means that if a filipina is married to a British Citizen in UK she needs to register it to the Philippine Embassy in London and then the Embassy will make notification to the DFA here in the Philippines and to the NSO to register that marriage so it will also be valid here in the Philippines..

this is what explained to me at the CFO seminar..

philcherry
21st September 2007, 12:15
thank you everyone for the ideas that you shared with us.hoping to get to know more next time.