PDA

View Full Version : The taste of the UK

BazJaz
9th June 2013, 06:50
Hi all, have been registered here a while silently viewing and reading, now that I finally got my gwapa lady here in the UK I just wanted to post this as it was so funny, I got my poor fiancée to try these 3 items, 1- marmite, 2-Guinness , 3- red wine, all 3 were met with the reaction I was expecting, marmite made her eyes water and run to the sink, Guinness made her pull some strange faces I never seen before and red wine made her spit it out at the dinner table with my parents present, well she did make me try dried fish and Balut so fairs fair!

Anyway we very happy now together after 3 years chatting and 7 trips to see her, we all set for our big day on 27th July and will be attending the barrio Festival at Apps Court on 21st July

Anyone in the surrey area I'm sure she would love to hear from you, she loves to text!

Take care (amping)

Barrie and Jazzle

grahamw48
9th June 2013, 11:08
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

All may not be lost.

My ex learned how to cook English style, got used to eating Marmite, drinking wine, and in fact used to make the best Toad in the hole and Yorkshire puds that I've ever tasted. :biggrin:

sars_notd_virus
9th June 2013, 11:58
Best Wishes for the wedding:xxgrinning--00xx3:

....Has she tried the Sunday Roast yet ?? well , when i first tried it ( family dinner @mum-inlaw) I thought ''my'' plate consists of carvery roasted pork/beef/lamb/chicken/2 yshire puds/ steam veggies / roasted potatoes was meant to be shared for the whole family :biggrin: my husband said that it was just my plate and everybody will get as BIG plate as i have lol...i was so shocked just by looking at it and felt so full already ....dont ask about the dessert :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
9th June 2013, 15:44
Scones and crumpets are what I like! :heartshape1:

Iani
9th June 2013, 15:49

Ahhh but are the scones pronounced "skon" - sounds like "gone" or "skown" - sounds like "phone"?

This is vitally important. I am told the sounds like gone one is correct, and the phone one is a northern thing used by northerners who think it sounds posh, and they are wannabe home counties people and somehow think people in the south say it like phone.

les_taxi
9th June 2013, 15:54
Ahhh but are the scones pronounced "skon" - sounds like "gone" or "skown" - sounds like "phone"?

This is vitally important. I am told the sounds like gone one is correct, and the phone one is a northern thing used by northerners who think it sounds posh, and they are wannabe home counties people and somehow think people in the south say it like phone.
Southern softies say Scone as in phone,Yorkshiremen say scone as in gone!

grahamw48
9th June 2013, 17:10

I agree !

I say scone, as in gone.

Oh, and I don't like them with currants and sultanas, like my mother used to make. :thumbsdown:

Common people call them schones. :biggrin:

raynaputi
9th June 2013, 18:11
Keith taught me to say it as scones like gone (coz I pronounced it sounding like "phone" before)..:xxgrinning--00xx3: I just like the plain butter scones (I find that Tesco makes the best butter scones, for me at least :biggrin:)..no currants as I don't like currants :vomit-smiley-011:

grahamw48
9th June 2013, 22:04

Of course I also like a bit of Crumpet. :biggrin:

BazJaz
10th June 2013, 08:13
Ah I just tested Jaz without prompting her at all about the north/ south divide, apparently she is a true Yorkshire girl ! Scone / gone was spoken with no hesitation. How about the confusing live as in not dead and live as in electrical.

Dedworth
10th June 2013, 09:37
My Mum came from Yorkshire and she alway's said Scone as in phone

Michael Parnham
10th June 2013, 10:23

Do you mean Pikelets Rayna?

raynaputi
10th June 2013, 10:27
Do you mean Pikelets Rayna?

what's pikelets?:Erm:

Michael Parnham
10th June 2013, 10:29
Ah I just tested Jaz without prompting her at all about the north/ south divide, apparently she is a true Yorkshire girl ! Scone / gone was spoken with no hesitation. How about the confusing live as in not dead and live as in electrical.

Lived in Thurgoland Sth Yorkshire for 28 years and we always said Scone/phone! Good luck to both of you For the 27th July :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth

Small Pikeys :biggrin:

andy222
Crumpets

raynaputi
10th June 2013, 10:30
Small Pikeys :biggrin:

Pikeys are what??? :Erm:

raynaputi
10th June 2013, 10:30
Crumpets

oohhh...so that's the same???? :Erm: you all are confusing me! :Cuckoo:

Michael Parnham
10th June 2013, 10:31

In the UK most people call crumpets, "Pikelets":xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
10th June 2013, 10:35
Pikeys are what??? :Erm:

They are "travelling" people - Here you go Rayna

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gu6n0rh0LWw/TY3FqUMq_PI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/xelEDRaw7NA/s1600/dfrubbish.jpg

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/brian/PIKEYS.jpg

Michael Parnham
10th June 2013, 10:48
They are "travelling" people - Here you go Rayna

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gu6n0rh0LWw/TY3FqUMq_PI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/xelEDRaw7NA/s1600/dfrubbish.jpg

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/brian/PIKEYS.jpg

In Yorkshire we call Pikeys Didicoys!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
10th June 2013, 11:14
In Yorkshire we call Pikeys Didicoys!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

My Gran was from Yorkshire and she used that term Michael - I prefer Scum myself

Arthur Little
10th June 2013, 11:29

Hmm, :icon_rolleyes: ... used to be rather partial to a "bit of :erotic4:crumpet", myself, albeit ... it OUGHT to be stressed that that was during the 17 years between my first wife's untimely demise and eventually meeting Myrna! :wink:

grahamw48
10th June 2013, 11:39
Stop it Dedworth. You're making me spill my coffee. :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
10th June 2013, 11:56
"Pikeys", :cwm25: ... I've always understood were gypsies - travelling folk, in other words - whereas, the term, "crumpets" was usually slang for vivacious, sexy ladies ... :anerikke: ... up here in Scotland, anyhow.

grahamw48
10th June 2013, 12:01
That's what I was hinting at of course Arthur. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

CRUMPET ! :hubbahubba:

SimonH
10th June 2013, 12:08
In the UK most people call crumpets, "Pikelets":xxgrinning--00xx3:

Do they :Erm: Never heard of that term before :cwm25:

Michael Parnham
10th June 2013, 19:41
My Gran was from Yorkshire and she used that term Michael - I prefer Scum myself

So do I :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
10th June 2013, 19:44
Do they :Erm: Never heard of that term before :cwm25:

To be truthful, it may be a middle class pronounciation, not that I'm middle class :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
10th June 2013, 21:04
I pretend to be. :biggrin:

Arthur Little
11th June 2013, 02:23

:laugher: ... whereas, Perth folks' pronunciation of the [practically] adjoining village of Scone, is "Skoon" (location of the historical Palace from which the so~called, 'Stone of Destiny' was famously stolen ...

Arthur Little
11th June 2013, 02:45
... by the *English, :biggrin: I might add!)

:yeahthat: ... and *THEY, in turn, would mistakenly pronounce the name of the aforementioned (ancient but restored) edifice as
"Skon Palace" ... in the same way, of course, as they'd often enunciate the name of the much-disputed sweetmeat! :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
11th June 2013, 03:09
Aye ... :icon_rolleyes: ... as the Scots are apt to remark: "There's nowt sae queer as fowk!"

malditako
11th June 2013, 07:41
yorkshire pudding and scones are my favorites in fact i do not buy scones anymore i just bake them :)

mickcant
11th June 2013, 07:47
When she was here I gave Jennifer my now ex Filipina wife a "Fishermans Friend" to try, I did warn her they were warming on the tongue but she pulled a strange face and spat it out:grosyeux:

Mick.:smile:

grahamw48
11th June 2013, 07:58
Yet Fishermans Friend lozenges are widely sold in the Phils....something that always tickled me. :smile:

raynaputi
11th June 2013, 09:43
Fisherman's Friend..never liked them! My aunt used to buy it and I tried it when I was a kid..it made me :vomit-smiley-011:

mickcant
11th June 2013, 10:17
Fisherman's Friend..never liked them! My aunt used to buy it and I tried it when I was a kid..it made me :vomit-smiley-011:

How can you say that and eat Balut :doh
Mick.:cwm25:

raynaputi
11th June 2013, 10:34
How can you say that and eat Balut :doh
Mick.:cwm25:

Ahhh...but I don't eat the "sisiw" in the balut..just the yellow stuff..coz the sisiw make me :vomit-smiley-011:too..ahahahah :icon_lol:

FilipinaDiver
23rd June 2013, 01:49
This thread made me laugh! I have been in a long distance relationship with an English man for 9 months now and we've seen each other for 10 times now. He flies every month to Cairo (where I'm currently working) and I have visited UK 3 times-and onto my 4th next week. The first UK visit was really funny as his Mum arranged an afternoon tea, I met the family within 2 hours after I have landed!! Scones with clotted cream became my favorite instantly hahaha!! I didn't get any problems dealing with the different boozes, if you see an asian girl downing a pint of Guinness around Cheshire area with a very handsome and tall guy-that would be me! PROST!:Cuckoo::party-smiley-012:

grahamw48
23rd June 2013, 09:37
Wow, he must be an airline pilot with all those trips ? :biggrin:

Glad you like here. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
23rd June 2013, 10:06
I had a taste of black pudding last week..I liked it! :xxgrinning--00xx3: And I forgot to say that I also liked the haggis :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
23rd June 2013, 10:10
I had a taste of black pudding last week..I liked it! :xxgrinning--00xx3: And I forgot to say that I also liked the haggis :biggrin:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

malditako
23rd June 2013, 21:00
i like chips with salt and vinegar, mashed peas and gravy all together...yummy!