PDA

View Full Version : Love - what is it? How do you describe it?

Shifty-Sidney
9th September 2007, 12:54
Hi all,
This may appear like an odd thread but i have been wondering what love is and how best to describe it?
You have love for family members and even animals, but love for your chosen partner is different - this love has no boundaries, no colour, no religion, no anything - yet it is powerful enough to stop a person and leave them for dead.
Why are we afected like this? - do we ask for this to happen? - do we need to be dependant on someone else? What are the signs to say you are in love? how do you know this is love or just lust or a desire?
And finally - i challenge anyone to describe how they feel when they are in love
:Erm:

anya
9th September 2007, 13:03
"if you were all alone in the universewith no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? it is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. this is harmony, we must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, and the joy of growth"

anya
9th September 2007, 13:03
"if you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? it is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. this is harmony, we must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, and the joy of growth"

purplealien
9th September 2007, 13:26
Interesting question Mark, very true about it being different for a partner. I imagine that there may be some biological need to find someone to pair with, but so many different feelings are mixed up in there somewhere. I think its true to say, you don't miss something until its gone. I know I can deal with not seeing my friends and family for quite a while, but not my gf.

anya
9th September 2007, 13:49
Hi all,
This may appear like an odd thread but i have been wondering what love is and how best to describe it?
You have love for family members and even animals, but love for your chosen partner is different - this love has no boundaries, no colour, no religion, no anything - yet it is powerful enough to stop a person and leave them for dead.
Why are we afected like this? - do we ask for this to happen? - do we need to be dependant on someone else? What are the signs to say you are in love? how do you know this is love or just lust or a desire?
And finally - i challenge anyone to describe how they feel when they are in love

err Mr. Barnsley-Mark, that's a lot of qu... love is love is love... We just knew it is love when it hits us.

charlwill
9th September 2007, 14:08
Hi Mark, this is defintion of love.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love.

yhilres
9th September 2007, 14:34
Hi all,

Mark, r u n love now? I think i kno the lucky girl:).

Anyway, you're asking 'bout what love is? I think if you have it (love), you don't need to have anything else. If you don't have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have...:cwm38:

But the best to describe love, is ds: Love is like a bubble gum, kung mopilit makabuang:icon_lol:(ask maria to translate this):icon_lol::icon_lol:

yhilres
9th September 2007, 15:00
love always has its errors, sometimes we try to refresh then realize it's best to shut down...but the hardest part is to 'restart' your life and 'reformat' your heart.:cwm38:

Sailor_JT
9th September 2007, 15:17
For me love is quite simple, it's wanting someone else's happiness more then your own, you want that person to be happy no matter what it takes to make them happy, so the key is giving and for me it's giving without limits, the only question to ask is "will it make you happy" if the answer is "yes" then it's done, love, no if's , no but's , no maybe's, for as long as you live

Maria_2300
9th September 2007, 15:17

Being in love is when you can't live without your partner. Life is empty, not complete, unfulfilled without him/her by your side and when you sleep in the evening he/she is the last one in your mind and the one you think of when you open your eyes in the morning and you will have a beautiful smile in your heart the rest of the day :cwm38:. :)

charlwill
9th September 2007, 15:27
"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it...It really is worth fighting for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk everything, you risk even more."

yhilres
9th September 2007, 15:29
when you sleep in the evening he/she is the last one in your mind and the one you think of when you open your eyes in the morning and you will have a beautiful smile in your heart the rest of the day :cwm38:. :)

tya, i think i know who you're talking about:BouncyHappy::cwm12:

Maria_2300
9th September 2007, 15:32
tya, i think i know who you're talking about:BouncyHappy::cwm12:

:ARsurrender::ARsurrender::ARsurrender:... i surrender :)

yhilres
9th September 2007, 15:35
:ARsurrender::ARsurrender::ARsurrender:... i surrender :)

yehey!!! celebration!!!:xxparty-smiley-050::Yippeee:

Alan
9th September 2007, 16:03
"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down."
- Woody Allen

Al.:)

KeithD
9th September 2007, 16:08

This is easy.

When a bookmaker gives you lots of :REGamblMoney01HL1:.....that's love :luv4:

Alan
9th September 2007, 16:13
This is easy.

When a bookmaker gives you lots of :REGamblMoney01HL1:.....that's love :luv4:

I must love my bookie then. :Erm:

Al.

cryingbaby
9th September 2007, 16:51
Well, as you can imagine, this also happens to be one of the most difficult questions to answer! Love is such a strange, wonderful thing that nobody really has codified what it is yet. And to further complicate matters, there are so many different kinds of love: the love you feel for a friend, a family member, a sport or even a pet. This is such a crazy emotion that there is absolutely no way that I can definitively answer how you know it is love… but I am going to give it a try

Now, in order to find out if you love someone, the basic place to start would be to ask yourself, do you want to be with them? If the answer to that question is no, then it really can't be love. When you love someone, you want to be with them. Not just be with them, but share everything with them. You have a great day at work and want to rush home and tell them every wonderful thing that has happened. You feel excited at the prospect of just being in their company, just being close to them isn't enough, you want to be a part of them, a part of their life forever. You can't stand the thought of being away from them yet, when you are, you still feel that ever-present bond that ties you together wherever you go. You can almost feel what they are feeling. You feel like, with a little bit of effort, you can see what they are seeing and think what they are thinking. It is almost as if you both can occupy each other's bodies with complete trust and harmony. That to me is love.

Now, on the other side of the spectrum, there are a host of emotions that people confuse with love. One of the most common is lust. There is a difference between wanting to sleep with someone and wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone.

Being overly dependent on the other person is also not a part of love. Some people fall into the trap of thinking they love someone just because they are afraid to be alone. They have become dependent on the other person for so much that they don't know how to make it on their own, or they would much rather be with someone than no-one.

This leads to the old cliché, in order to love someone else, you must first learn to love yourself. Well, we've all heard that before, but what does it really mean? It means that you have to be confident in your own ability and your own judgement. You really have to like yourself and know what you have to offer another person. There is no way that you can love another person if you are so stuck in your own hang-ups that you bow down and propitiate to the other person. That is, you do anything they ask and agree with everything they say out of fear that they will love you less because you don't do those things.

Basically, the question of whether or not you are in love with someone is pretty cut and dry: you either are or you aren't… and deep down, you know the answer. You just have to trust yourself to recognize it.:cwm38::cwm38::cwm38:

Alan
9th September 2007, 16:57
OK - a serious response from me.

I cannot stop thinking about Hanna. We speak EVERY day on YM. Despite all my problems at the moment I can smile when I think of her.

I am TRULY in love. :cwm38:

Al.

theresa
9th September 2007, 17:26
:luv13::luv13::luv13::luv13:

When you feel complete when your together, thats in love. Despite of problems.
you still laugh together, smile at each other hold hands when your walking, talk and share anything. enjoy each others company. never sleep without saying the words "I Love you". Love is such a nice feeling.
Love binds 2 people in a long distance relationship. :luv4:

aromulus
9th September 2007, 17:34
Yes, I feel as I have to say something too on the subject...:rolleyes:

I agree with most of the people that posted here and if I may also add...
That love is not just a matter of friction...:D but reciprocal feelings and respect for each other..

And "" Love means never have to say sorry""... doesn't sound true at all...

Now I am going....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ervenescence
9th September 2007, 19:32
Love is merely madness...
--William Shakespeare

I totally agree with Shakespeare statement.
I can't explain it to anyone because its too vague to describe it once it hits you hard. Love is not usually how we feel, its how we do.

Shifty-Sidney
9th September 2007, 20:13
Mark, r u n love now? I think i kno the lucky girl:).

Anyway, you're asking 'bout what love is? I think if you have it (love), you don't need to have anything else. If you don't have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have...:cwm38:

But the best to describe love, is ds: Love is like a bubble gum, kung mopilit makabuang:icon_lol:(ask maria to translate this):icon_lol::icon_lol:

:NoNo: - Right, just to set matters straight - no i am not in love and neither am i close to it. I was only asking because i this forum is full of caring people who are all somewhat more tyhan your avaerage `person on the street` - we are all here because we have or want something more than just sex and we are prepared to wait and fight to get it.

Why?? - why do we put ourselves through the heartache and pain and waiting and problems and visa and phone calls and...and......and...
when we could be with the woman or man down the road when we want.

This is why i was asking what love is and why we want it so much?

baboyako
9th September 2007, 20:34
Love is merely madness...
--William Shakespeare

I totally agree with Shakespeare statement.
I can't explain it to anyone because its too vague to describe it once it hits you hard. Love is not usually how we feel, its how we do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFYOj-zQM-0

:idea: straight from the genitals :cwm38:

purplealien
9th September 2007, 20:37
Have you been down my road !!! :omg: :NoNo:

singkit
9th September 2007, 22:04

BaboyAko, you always make me laugh:icon_lol::icon_lol: I still do not forget that link you put in your favorite song...:icon_lol:

singkit
9th September 2007, 22:08
when you feel like you were hit by a sucker punch...that's love.:bluegrab: It happens unexpectedly...

ervenescence
9th September 2007, 22:32

roflmao...:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

love is a chemical
straight from your genitals
never is spiritual
never unconditional
love is a chemical
nature is radical
never is spiritual
its mathematical

LOL :icon_lol:..love the tune.

Mich
10th September 2007, 02:29
"Love me without fear
Trust me without questioning
Need me without demanding
Want me without restrictions
Accept me without change
Desire me without inhibitions."

- Dick Sutphen

Mich
10th September 2007, 03:11
For there is one thing I can safely say: that those bound by love must obey each other if they are to keep company long. Love will not be constrained by mastery; when mastery comes, the God of love at once beats his wings, and farewell -- he is gone. Love is a thing as free as any spirit; women naturally desire liberty, and not to be constrained like slaves; and so do men, if I shall tell the truth.

See who is the most patient in love; he has the greatest advantage. Patience is surely a great virtue, for it vanquished, as these scholars say, things that rigor would never manage. One cannot scold or complain at every word. Learn to endure patiently, or else, as I live and breathe, you shall learn it whether you want or not. For certainly there is no one in the world who doesn't do or say something amiss. Anger, sickness, or planetary influences, wine, sorrow, or changing of disposition often causes one to do or speak amiss. One cannot be avenged for every wrong; according to the occasion, everyone who knows how, must use temperance. And therefore a wise man, in order to live in comfort, promises his lady forbearance, and she wisely gives her promise to him.

Pepe n Pilar
10th September 2007, 04:32
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness"
Nietzsche
I'm thinking of how can i tell how am i if i'm in love.....I might consume the whole space in here.....

mach
10th September 2007, 07:39
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (New International Version)

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

KeithD
10th September 2007, 08:57
USA Love:
Shoot first, ask questions later :D

Mich
10th September 2007, 08:58
USA Love:
Shoot first, ask questions later :D

:NoNo:

Mich
10th September 2007, 10:31
:NoNo: - Right, just to set matters straight - no i am not in love and neither am i close to it. I was only asking because i this forum is full of caring people who are all somewhat more tyhan your avaerage `person on the street` - we are all here because we have or want something more than just sex and we are prepared to wait and fight to get it.

Why?? - why do we put ourselves through the heartache and pain and waiting and problems and visa and phone calls and...and......and...
when we could be with the woman or man down the road when we want.

This is why i was asking what love is and why we want it so much?

a friend once told me something about love, and maybe he could be right. he said... love is used by people to get what they want... women want security and assurance and men want sex. both use love to get these things.

love and cynicism... not a good cocktail! :icon_lol:

Paul&Jesse
10th September 2007, 10:42
a friend once told me something about love, and maybe he could be right. he said... love is used by people to get what they want... women want security and assurance and men want sex. both use love to get these things.

love and cynicism... not a good cocktail! :icon_lol::yikes:

The word “Cynic / cynicism” comes from Ancient Greek and means ‘doglike’ and was used to describe the behaviour of the philosopher Diogenes.

Thus be careful when using the words sex and cynicism in the same sentence!
:icon_lol:

LEAHnew
10th September 2007, 11:09
"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down."
- Woody Allen

Al.:)

tongue twist???:doh like peter fighter pick a pepper ......:Erm::Erm:

LEAHnew
10th September 2007, 11:19
Love is MAGIC coz It Bounds 2 people from thousand miles away.

Love affects human behavior…:cwm38:
can’t sleep proper…can’t eat that much…forgot many things… forgot what’s in order…:yikes:

Love sometimes deceiving …it made us blind …..but in order to conquer negative act… love teaches us in positive ways like..being understanding, patience, loyal, faithful and A better person from the experience we had from love.....
And lastly LOVE is the reason why I live….

:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

eljean
10th September 2007, 12:28
Love is like a rose you cannot appreciate its beauty without accepting its thorns...:)

mommyhere
10th September 2007, 13:00
You really got me here Mark!!! :appl: Love for me is unconditional:luv4:...comes pain and sorrows, thru good times and bad times, you still choose that person regardless of her past, flaws, and anything that is far from your "dream girl" when you we're younger, which I knew everybody here happens to draw or put into picture the kind of person they would be in love with when they we're younger, but as days passed, It will turn to nothing. For most of the time, the one u happen to be in love with, posseses all the qualities that you never dare dream of in what you called "dream girl" or prince charming. But even then, you still would want to be with that person and you just can't live a day without her/him.
For me...I would know if I'm in love when I could say to this person "you're the one I wanna grow old with and you are the one I wanna be with, for the rest of my life :4:........

now I feel like singing here....:9:

Only you...can make this world seem bright
Only you can make the darkness bright..
When you hold my hand, I'll understand the magic that you dooo
You're my dream come true my one and only you...

Only you can make this change in me
For it's true, you are my destiny..
When u hold my hand, I'll understand the magic that you do
You're my dream come true
My one and only youuuu :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Pepe n Pilar
14th September 2007, 16:04
"There is always some madness in love.
But there is also always some reason in madness"
- Nietzsche

kimmi
15th September 2007, 02:30
some people say that when ure inlove no explanation is necessary and if ure not inlove no explanation is enough..:)

Maria_2300
15th September 2007, 04:08
some people say that when ure inlove no explanation is necessary and if ure not inlove no explanation is enough..:)

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Shifty-Sidney
15th September 2007, 08:36
Its good to see some genuine thoughts here. i hope i can quote some of these in the near future hehehe

kimmi
15th September 2007, 12:08
Mark, u will know the real meaning of LOVE, when ure inlove already..since it will have different meanings to different persons when they are inlove..

I am sure the right one will come along in GODs time..just have faith..

Les_lady888
19th September 2007, 03:00
What is this thing called "LOVE"?

"To describe love is very difficult, for the same reason that words cannot fully describe the flavor of an orange. You have to taste the fruit to know its flavor. So with love."

"Could it be that Love is a story that can never be fully expressed?"

Love is looking past imperfections in your partner and seeing the beautiful person inside. True love seeks the happiness and well being of your partner. Love expresses itself in the mutual respect you demonstrate to your partner."

Love has no meaning other than the meaning "we" give it.

"A sad thing about life is that when you meet someone who means a lot to you, you'll find out in the end that it was never bound to be and just have to let her go. Maybe God wants us to meet a few wrong people before meeting the right one so when we finally meet the right person, we should know the grateful for the gift."

"It hurts to LOVE someone and not be loved in return, but what is painful is to LOVE someone and never have the courage to let that person know how you feel. It is always better to have found the courage to LOVE even if you lose it in the end rather than losing love because your were afraid to face its challenge."

"Love is a CHOICE! In every thing we do and in every way we respond to other people in that moment we choose to either come from our highest space of compassion, empathy and good will or a lesser space inside of ourselves. When we decide to approach ourselves or other people from that higher place we are choosing to love. In every moment, if we can just stop our and think for a second instead of just reacting, we have the opportunity to choose to love. No matter what the situation."

"The secret of our being is not only to live but to have something to live for."

Les_lady888
19th September 2007, 03:08
Are your palms sweaty, is your heart racing, And your voice caught within your chest?

* It isn't Love, it's Like.

You can't keep your eyes or hands off of them, am I right?

* It isn't Love, it's Lust.

Are you proud, and eager to show them off?

* It isn't Love, it's Luck.

Do you want them because you know they're there?

* It isn't Love, it's Loneliness.

Are you there because it's what everyone wants?

* It isn't Love, it's Loyalty.

Do you stay for their confessions of Love, because you don't want to hurt them?

* It isn't Love, it's Pity.

Are you there because they kissed you, or held your hand?

* It isn't Love, it's being Unconfident.

Do you belong to them because their sight makes your heart skip a beat?

* It isn't Love, it's Infatuation.

Do you pardon their faults because you care about them?

* It isn't Love, it's Friendship.

Do you tell them every day they are the only one you think of?

* It isn't Love, it's a Lie.

Are you willing to give all of your favorite things for their sake?

* It isn't Love, it's Charity.

Does your heart ache and break when they're sad?

* Then it's Love.

Are you attracted to others, but stay with them faithfully without regret?

* Then it's Love.

Do you accept their faults because they're a part of who they are?

* Then it's Love.

Do you cry for their pain, even when they're strong?

* Then it's Love.

Do their eyes see your true heart, and touch your soul so deeply it hurts?

* Then it's Love.

But do you stay because a blinding, incomprehensible mix of pain and elation pulls you close and holds you?

* Then it's Love.

Would you give them your heart, your life, your death?

* Then it's Love.

Now, if Love is painful, and tortures us so,
why do we Love?
Why is it all we search for in life?
This pain, this agony?
Why is it all we long for?
This torture, this powerful death of self?
Why?
Because it's...
Love :love:

:luv4: :love18:

gracia143
19th September 2007, 05:51
Les lady888, as the Brits would say "it's lovely".

hilda_danao
19th September 2007, 09:03
Hi mark!
there are four types of love according to Greeks.
1. Agape - love extended from one to another through a relationship with God, also God's love for a person.
2. Phileo - brotherly love as between siblings and close friends.
3. Storge - family love as in love from a parent to a child
4. Eros - romantic love, sexual.

The love you feel with the other sex is eros

My Opinion:
you're inlove:
when you get up in the morning, she's the first thing on your mind. you wonder if she's also awake
when you're eating, you ask yourself, 'is she also eating'
when you're working, you always get mistake in your works. you wonder what she's doing that time and if she's safe in her work.
before you go to bed, you wonder if she's also going to bed or sleeping.
Conclusion: He/she is in your mind all the time whatever you do.

Why do we keep in touch and have to undergo all this internet communication, waiting and visa process in a long distance relationship? because if you're already in love with your online bf/gf, spending time with someone else is useless & worthless. because the only person who can make you happy is your online bf/gf.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

silver13
19th September 2007, 09:29
If ur inlove it makes ur world go :cwm12: