PDA

View Full Version : At last!! Mayweather takes big risk!

fred
4th June 2013, 16:40
After the last "fight" fisaco ,Floyd Mayweather Jnr takes his biggest risk and announces he will fight with Saśl "Canelo" Alvarez!!
Personally,I lost respect for Floyd after he dodged Pacquiao for years but now he has agreed to fight Alvarez ,Im not so sure!!
This guy is a real foe in the ring...If he beats Mayweather(which I think he can) then I reckon its between him and Manny and Alvarez to take the spoils.

DaveyWallis
4th June 2013, 17:39
It may be his biggest risk - but it's still a small one.

He's making it a catchweight fight at 152 pounds which favours him over El Canelo. He's also got many years of experience behind him while still at his prime whilst Alvarez is only 22.

A quote from Mayweather about catchweight fights 'I never fight people at catchweights because I am the best so I always want my opponents to be fighting at their best weights'.

The fact that he is making this at catchweight shows that he wants to tilt the fight in his favour.

I think he'll be too good for Alvarez although it will be a good fight as Alvarez is a very good boxer.

If it was at 154 pounds it would be a closer call but I'd still go for Mayweather due to his ring craftsmanship.

Manny is several fights beyond his best and it's a shame that he's still carrying on. Alvarez would knock Manny out if they ever fought.

Terpe
4th June 2013, 18:15
I would love to see Mayweather get a beating.
Any bout with two undefeated boxers is always going to be interesting, and a money-spinner at this level.

I just wonder how much of his boxing talent Alvarez can utilise against a technical and crafty old fox like Mayweather.

Mayweather's all about 'profit' that was one of the reasons the Pacquiao fight never materialised.

Equally, even as a long-standing major fan of Pacquiao, there's just no way he can ever get back to his prime of 3-4 years ago. IMHO

It's really time for change but where will it come from?

If Mayweather agreed to Alvarez then he truly believes he'll win. He's going to be confident about his technique, his speed and his tactics.
I wish it would be different but don't see it.

In my mind Pacquiao is the greatest and best. And the one and only pound-for pound of all time.
Mayweather just ducked and ran from one too many risky fights for my liking.

And that's my concern. He took this fight at catchweight. Mayweather sees minimum risk, maximum profit.
He'll also be playing mind games with the young Alvarez.

fred
4th June 2013, 18:30
In regards Pacquiao..The only boxer Ive ever really seen him struggle against right though his carrer was Marquez..
For some reason he just never really learned how to fight the guy even with Roach as his trainer.
IMO he was winning that fight up until he was knocked sparko with one lucky punch whilst his opponent was very much defending.. Thats what I love about Manny though.. He just fights to entertain until the outcome..
Not 100% sure but I seem to think that the catchweight thing is no big deal as 152 is about an average jump/drop for both boxers..
Having watched all of Alvarez`s fights,my respect for Floyd definitely went up a notch since signing the contract for this fight..

London_Manila
4th June 2013, 18:41
Pacquiao is making the same mistake as Hatton - fighting on well past his prime

bigmarco
4th June 2013, 19:17
He's apparently signed a six fight £131million deal with showtime so they want their moneys worth.
Seems Floyd is a bit of a gambler outside the ring reportedly gambling $5.9m on a game of basketball the other night

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2335642/Floyd-Mayweather-wins-4-2m-bet-Miami-Heat-winning.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

fred
5th June 2013, 02:31
Pacquiao is making the same mistake as Hatton - fighting on well past his prime

:Erm:

andy222
5th June 2013, 07:07
If american fighters want my respect they have to fight outside their country. Just my opinion.

London_Manila
6th June 2013, 01:38
Pacquiao is not the boxer he use to be
He should hang up his gloves now
His greatness will be forgotten if he keeps on losing.........

fred
6th June 2013, 02:03
Pacquiao is not the boxer he use to be
He should hang up his gloves now
His greatness will be forgotten if he keeps on losing.........

I completely disagree. The only fight Ive seen him lose recently was to a boxer he was beating conclusively..Then he got floored by a lucky punch IMO..
The other fight decision was a joke as he won every round convincingly.. That particular fighter hasn't fought since.
My opinion lang.

London_Manila
7th June 2013, 01:54
I completely disagree. The only fight Ive seen him lose recently was to a boxer he was beating conclusively..Then he got floored by a lucky punch IMO..
The other fight decision was a joke as he won every round convincingly.. That particular fighter hasn't fought since.
My opinion lang.

no problem maybe you might change your mind when it gets to 4 or 5 :wink:

DaveyWallis
7th June 2013, 13:43
Not 100% sure but I seem to think that the catchweight thing is no big deal as 152 is about an average jump/drop for both boxers..

C'mon Fred, we both know otherwise. Floyd is doing this to tilt the odds in his favour. He already holds the WBA (Super) light middleweight belt so why fight at catchweight?

Shedding those last few pounds will affect Alvarez far more than Mayweather who is naturally the lighter man. Ask Oscar De La Hoya about the effects of losing those extra few pounds...

The only fight I've seen him lose recently was to a boxer he was beating conclusively..Then he got floored by a lucky punch IMO..

He was ahead by just one round on all three judges cards - hardly conclusive. As far as the 'lucky' punch is concerned Google this quote "He did suck him into it a few times in the fight. It was a good set up. It was by design — it wasn't a lucky punch. I was a little surprised he could pull that off being how hurt he was.'' Guess who said that. I'll give you a clue - his initials are FR.

That particular fighter being Timothy Bradley who defended the belt that he won from Pacquiao against Ruslan Provodnikov in a right tear-up in March and is due to defend it again against JMM in October.

Most, but not all, observers agree that Pacquiao got a bad decision against Bradley, however he started each round very slowly, which is unlike him, and only really came alive in the second half of each round. This was a tactic that Ali used in the latter stages of his career. Why did Pacquiao do that? Maybe he's feeling his age now.

His style of boxing lends itself to that rather than say that of Marquez or Mayweather who are both defensive counter-punchers.

My opinion is that had Pacman and Mayweather met at their peaks then I think that Mayweather would win. If you think that Manny has problems with Marquez's style he'd have a nightmare against Mayweather - but I would have loved it had Pacquiao won.

Arthur Little
8th June 2013, 12:46
Away from the :xxsport-smiley-002: world - and very much :icon_offtopic: - May weather here in the UK generally, was crap! :raining:

Hence ... to soften the "blow" (of the seemingly incessant wind that accompanied it) so to speak, the glorious *:sunshine: we've since enjoyed throughout most of :Britain: during the first week of June has been a real Godsend.

Let's hope and :pray: *it continues!