PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so difficult to get a job here?

ritaj0nes
8th September 2007, 21:23
I am right now looking for a job but I don't wanna go outside my territory. I'm not familiar yet outside Hemel Hempstead, Herts. I received some interview offer from central of london but I refused because of the long hours of travel. I have a degree in Psychology and had various working experience. I worked as receptionist, had teaching experience for almost 3 years then moved to Call centre industry. Sometimes I worked part time extra for TV series in Manila when I was still there and done political endorsement. I thought having a good educational background and great working experience will place my feet in a greater position to get a job here. We as filipinos has this culture of helping our families back home and I have obligation to fulfill. My husband is such a very loving and supportive partner. We never had any problems together even during the time when I was applying for a fiance visa back home. I got my visa in just 3 weeks as sopposed to 3 months that the Embassy told us. No interview at all. When we applied for my extension visa, we easily got it as well but right now we're trying to get me a job but most companies like school require NVQL 2 or 3. I just felt bad that having great experience and degree isn't enough to get the job. I had interview yesterday from one of the hotel for receptionist position and after all the great compliments that I received from the interviewer I still ended the day with unfortunate message of not getting the job. I was super down yesterday and earlier today and managed to recover later today.

Please let me know if UK companies are generally like this (i felt like it is still sound useless to get a job here no matter what degree you have or experience you had if you don't get any nice educ background here)? I know it's against the labor law to descriminate anyone. hope you answer my concern. Thanks!

Shifty-Sidney
8th September 2007, 21:32
:Hellooo:
Dont get yourself down. Unfortunately the `educated` people here will only employ similar `educated` people because thats all they know.
However there are a lot of people and companies who realise that the UK education system is a complete waste of time and you are much better off employing people who are wanting to work - even if they have no qualifications.
Look a bit deeper for opportunities - dress-up and walk straight into hotels or offices where you would like to work and show them what you are like - even offer to work for a few days for free even - if they like you then they employ you.
This may sound daft but it does work - especially with the smaller companies
Good luck.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
8th September 2007, 21:33
Dont get yourself down. Unfortunately the `educated` people here will only employ similar `educated` people because thats all they know.
However there are a lot of people and companies who realise that the UK education system is a complete waste of time and you are much better off employing people who are wanting to work - even if they have no qualifications.
Look a bit deeper for opportunities - dress-up and walk straight into hotels or offices where you would like to work and show them what you are like - even offer to work for a few days for free even - if they like you then they employ you.

Word

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ritaj0nes
8th September 2007, 21:38
Thanks Mark and Andy.. I really appreciate..

andypaul
8th September 2007, 22:28
Its possibly worth getting some work experience even with a charity to show that you are hard working and proactive.

Pepe n Pilar
9th September 2007, 04:29
I have heard that it is very hard to have the same job we have back home. If we are on managerial level, we will just be a clerk/receptionist when we are in U.K. Well, i guess Mark is right as long as we dress right, be confident and as long as we know what we're talking about then we can get the job we are aiming at. Good luck!!1

Ping
9th September 2007, 08:21
Yes. it is very dificult to find job here.Firstly our degree in Phil is not honoured here because the educational system is different, second your cv when they find out you have a degree your over qualified. Only the nurses and related course can land a job but they still need to retrained or take some other test. Or better to put college level and experiences in your cv.During the enterview you have to talk more or for short use the counter attact tactic instead of you are the interviewee ,you act as the interviewer
vice versa.Try if it works and follow also the advice of Mark and Andy.

KeithD
9th September 2007, 09:00
I have a degree in Psychology

This is basically useless in this country, as it is classed as an 'easy option' in uni's, and they are two a penny these days, with so many folk having them, and as the Businness groups tell you, they are meaningless for a job!

Easiest thing to do is make a long list of where you would like to work, and send them all a letter, tell them what you can do, ad what kind of job you are looking for, include your CV included.

You don't get a job straight away just because you want one.

charlwill
9th September 2007, 10:01
This is basically useless in this country, as it is classed as an 'easy option' in uni's, and they are two a penny these days, with so many folk having them, and as the Businness groups tell you, they are meaningless for a job!

Easiest thing to do is make a long list of where you would like to work, and send them all a letter, tell them what you can do, ad what kind of job you are looking for, include your CV included.

You don't get a job straight away just because you want one.

I agree with you Boss Keith. :D:D

pennybarry
10th September 2007, 08:11
You're not alone Rita, I also received lots of good comments from interviewer. It seems they need us to follow their UK high standard:Brick:. I finished BSBA-Accounting and had experience as Payrol Acct, applied as Payroll Clerk here but I need to take Sage Line 50. Applied IT Support but they are asking for ECDL Cert., Applied higher position but I need to learn DRIVING :omg:.

I am now in a factory and applied to another company which offers more overtime. The interviewer said, I am more clever than him as I'm a Bachelor and can speak 3 foreign language. He said he likes filipinos because he heard that we are hardworking and dedicated to work. We'll see tomorrow if he is just kidding because he said he will contact me tomorrow.:action-smiley-081:

singkit
10th September 2007, 16:19
You're not alone Rita, I also received lots of good comments from interviewer. It seems they need us to follow their UK high standard:Brick:. I finished BSBA-Accounting and had experience as Payrol Acct, applied as Payroll Clerk here but I need to take Sage Line 50. Applied IT Support but they are asking for ECDL Cert., Applied higher position but I need to learn DRIVING :omg:.

I am now in a factory and applied to another company which offers more overtime. The interviewer said, I am more clever than him as I'm a Bachelor and can speak 3 foreign language. He said he likes filipinos because he heard that we are hardworking and dedicated to work. We'll see tomorrow if he is just kidding because he said he will contact me tomorrow.:action-smiley-081:
Congrats, Penny. You're doing great out there. Your CV must be very impressive:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: Go gurl! i wish I could find a job too...:furious3:

walesrob
10th September 2007, 16:58
I'm also looking for a job, and today I had my first contact with our glorious "JobCentrePlus". Wow, what a bunch of unmotivated people they got working there.

The one think I've learned in this job hunting is that experience counts for nothing unless you have some kind of qualification to back it up. I spent 10 years running a payroll and doing general admin work, but sadly, it counts for nothing.

KeithD
10th September 2007, 17:04
Not surpised about local motivation Rob, they must be sick of all the applications for sheperds :rolleyes:

ritaj0nes
10th September 2007, 17:10
barnsley-mark
Respected Member Join Date: Jul 2007

Look a bit deeper for opportunities - dress-up and walk straight into hotels or offices where you would like to work and show them what you are like - even offer to work for a few days for free even - if they like you then they employ you.This may sound daft but it does work - especially with the smaller companies
Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mark and everyone, thanks so much for listening to my sentiments. I just really felt bad that most companies in UK doesn't recognize Filipino's credentials nor educational background. I understand that UK has it's own set of laws which in my country can be different. However, I just hope that employers or interviewers should not give false hope or misleading compliments like "Oh you're really have great work experience, wonderful personality and sort of things" When I moved inside their office I was in complete faith that the compliments and reactions they showed was an acceptance that I am completely qualified for the job even though it was for receptionist position. I dressed up properly, prepared myself for the interview. I also read a lot about the company and study what the company is offering. I came back home that day hoping that I will get the job because I really felt I nailed it then later that day when I phoned the agency they told me the unfortunate message (so I was super down and thought that I was such a failure but my partner, family and friends were very supportive) I just felt that in Manila, with the credentials and work experience I had, I would easily get a job within a day but I just have to admit that UK is absolutely different from Manila. Maybe it wasn't my lucky day as well or the job wasn't just meant for me and there is something much better awaiting. So after a day and half of misery and pain. I am back and now okay. After reading some sentiments of my fellow filipinos here and understand that it wasn't just me who's encountering same struggle living here. I just have to realize that I'm still blessed having a very loving and caring partner, family and friends who will stay with me no matter what happens.

Rita

pennybarry
10th September 2007, 19:12
Congrats, Penny. You're doing great out there. Your CV must be very impressive:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: Go gurl! i wish I could find a job too...:furious3:

Thanks Singkit ! Just had 3 yrs experience as Accountant, 7 yrs supervisory, QC abroad, 5 yrs handling my own business, HOUSEKEEPING ASSISTANT in UK holiday park:Brick: and now in a factory. My boss offered me to apply as QC Mgr in our company but when he found out I couldn't drive, I didn't get it:Brick: Anyway, I am not choosy as I am new in this country and still willing to learn and to be trained:xxgrinning--00xx3:. WILLING TO FOLLOW UK STANDARD:action-smiley-081::Brick::D
Been to our local college this afternoon and made inquiry about Sage Line 50 and they said they have tutorial for that course and I will take Level 2. Need to inform hubby first then will start next week. :D I wish I could finish that course like you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

baboyako
10th September 2007, 19:16
I dressed up properly, prepared myself for the interview. I also read a lot about the company and study what the company is offering. I came back home that day hoping that I will get the job because I really felt I nailed it then later that day when I phoned the agency they told me the unfortunate message

I'm sure a lot of us find it difficult to give advice - in truth, everyone has problems finding work - :CompBuster: its just a case of try, try and try again.

Seems like you're doing nothing wrong.. just keep going :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger@tigress
10th September 2007, 19:36
You not alone Interviewed last Friday had 9 years experience with the same nature of company but... theres always been BUT :doh i waited for her call the whole day today but no word from them.... :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

ervenescence
10th September 2007, 19:47
I'm sure a lot of us find it difficult to give advice - in truth, everyone has problems finding work - :CompBuster: its just a case of try, try and try again.

Seems like you're doing nothing wrong.. just keep going :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree with you mister pig..lol ( peace)

Yeah Rita Jones, everyone has been through this, looking for a job is easy but the problem is we can't always have them. Just assume that you are not the only applicant and competition is a game here. Let say that you was doing well during the interview and you got lots of experienced and achievements from your previous. The interviewer think that you was good enough to be in the position but on the other hand they think that the other applicant was better than you.

Just keep trying, don't give up and you'll get there.

btw, I been there. Been rejected a few times but I didn't lose hope. Be determine and be positive. :)

Goodluck mate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ritaj0nes
10th September 2007, 19:57
Thanks Evryone. I really appreciate!!!

cryingbaby
10th September 2007, 20:57
hi rita...hope ur fine.. just dont be picky with your first job yet..be patient. :BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

Pepe n Pilar
11th September 2007, 05:16
Hi Rita.... Don't lose hope.... be patient....I have heard that as long as you're not picky with the kind of job that is available then you can get one, the only problem is.... can you handle it or are you happy doing that particular job which you think is way below your qualifications?

Pepe n Pilar
11th September 2007, 05:49
BTW Rita.... i already know what to expect when i go back. I have heard that story way before i've been there so i am not surprised. The reason why i visited that country is for me to know if i will like the standard of living there. My fiance have told me everything and we discussed these things.
Anyway i wish you luck.... You will find the job you're looking for in due time...
God Bless.....

hilda_danao
11th September 2007, 09:41
Hi Rita! I am in same situation as you and im nearly pissed off now. i've been interviewed one time, got good comments, etc. then i received 'sorry reply'. i found out the reason is my transportation. i don't drive and there's no bus stop near our house. i said my husband will send and fetch me from work coz he's a manager working in a field. they didn't accept it as valid means of transportation to go to work. anyway, i've sent so many letters and cv. all replies are unsuccessful. sometimes i get envious of my classmates who are in the US. we have same background in Phil and they are all working now as bank cashier. it made me think it's really hard for us filipino race to find a job here in UK. im now studying sage bookkeeping so hopefully this will give me chance to get a job that i want. So don't worry, there are many of us who are in same situation as you. i guess we just have to keep on trying and trying. Just don't lose hope! :)

fred
11th September 2007, 09:44
Have to say that the Mrs and I were never out of work..If she didn`t like a job then she would just leave and walk almost straight into another..
Perhaps things have changed in the 7 weeks we have been away?

fred
11th September 2007, 09:49
Hi Rita! I am in same situation as you and im nearly pissed off now. i've been interviewed one time, got good comments, etc. then i received 'sorry reply'. i found out the reason is my transportation. i don't drive and there's no bus stop near our house. i said my husband will send and fetch me from work coz he's a manager working in a field. they didn't accept it as valid means of transportation to go to work. anyway, i've sent so many letters and cv. all replies are unsuccessful. sometimes i get envious of my classmates who are in the US. we have same background in Phil and they are all working now as bank cashier. it made me think it's really hard for us filipino race to find a job here in UK. im now studying sage bookkeeping so hopefully this will give me chance to get a job that i want. So don't worry, there are many of us who are in same situation as you. i guess we just have to keep on trying and trying. Just don't lose hope! :)

Have you tried signing up to different employment agencies? My wife did and they were for ever pestering her about different jobs..At one point it became a little annoying.:Cuckoo:

dave65
11th September 2007, 13:59
I have found the same thing in the philippines looking for work over there 20years experiance and well qualified engineer count for nothing, :Erm:
actually nothing wrong with the experiance or qualifications reason for rejection ....was because im not a philippino doesnt matter if i go and live there or even apply for citizenship because i not from the islands companies are just not interested :NoNo: :Brick:

ritaj0nes
11th September 2007, 20:22
Hi Fred, I actually signed to 2 agencies around the area. I know I'll get a good job soon. Thanks!

ritaj0nes
11th September 2007, 20:23
Thanks Hilda.. As long as I have my husband, family and friends including you guys (life will always be better) Thanks again!

ritaj0nes
11th September 2007, 20:25
hi rita...hope ur fine.. just dont be picky with your first job yet..be patient. :BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:
I am not picky.. I am willing to work and do anything just to get a decent job. I understand that life can be diffrent to what we are generally accustomed of. Anyways, thanks to all of you and I'm looking forward to get more advises from you guys! tc

tiger@tigress
11th September 2007, 20:26
Hi Fred, I actually signed to 2 agencies around the area. I know I'll get a good job soon. Thanks!

:Hellooo: Thats the spirit girl! we will have job thats suit us in no time :Hellooo::BouncyHappy:

singkit
11th September 2007, 22:37
Been to our local college this afternoon and made inquiry about Sage Line 50 and they said they have tutorial for that course and I will take Level 2. Need to inform hubby first then will start next week. :D[/SIZE] I wish I could finish that course like you :xxgrinning--00xx3:[/QUOTE]

Hi, Penny. Ofcourse you will finish that course. Looking at those credentials you've got, skills you have...Girl, only mental can't see your potential. :xxgrinning--00xx3: I've just noticed, there are many of us here that does Accounting. Perhaps, we should build an association:icon_lol::icon_lol: let's call it Brit-wives-Job Seekers or whatever:icon_lol::icon_lol: You can do it Penny, although SAGE Line 50 has many types...there are SAGE Line Accountant Proffesional, SAGE Line Financial Accounts, etc. I was at PC World today and was actually looking for that software because I thought it's cheaper to buy a software CD than fetting a tutorial course. Although, the advantage we get from a tutorial is obviously someone will teach you and guide online and they will give you books and materials to practice the system. But still, am confused which SAGE Line 50 am going to get, so I ended up empty handed coming back home:doh

singkit
11th September 2007, 22:57
I thought having a good educational background and great working experience will place my feet in a greater position to get a job here. We as filipinos has this culture of helping our families back home and I have obligation to fulfill. I just felt bad that having great experience and degree isn't enough to get the job. I had interview yesterday from one of the hotel for receptionist position and after all the great compliments that I received from the interviewer I still ended the day with unfortunate message of not getting the job.

Hi, Rita...Don't give up...You're not alone...I received the same treatment as well. I used to complain the same. Asked the same questions. Even claimed I was a victim of racial discrimination...but it never stop me from fulfilling my goal to land a job...Reading informative threads from this forum and receiving advices from JoeBloggs, AndyPaul and the rest of good members here I took a course which I think will help me to gain qualifications, UK's demand, plus it helps me to stop from getting bored. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Don't worry, we will soon find a job.We can start from a blue collar job and get some experience from this country. Then, we will see. In the mean time...go find yourself another thing to do to polish your CV. Regards.:smileybigtmouth:

pennybarry
12th September 2007, 08:12
I thought having a good educational background and great working experience will place my feet in a greater position to get a job here. We as filipinos has this culture of helping our families back home and I have obligation to fulfill. I just felt bad that having great experience and degree isn't enough to get the job. I had interview yesterday from one of the hotel for receptionist position and after all the great compliments that I received from the interviewer I still ended the day with unfortunate message of not getting the job.

Hi, Rita...Don't give up...You're not alone...I received the same treatment as well. I used to complain the same. Asked the same questions. Even claimed I was a victim of racial discrimination...but it never stop me from fulfilling my goal to land a job...Reading informative threads from this forum and receiving advices from JoeBloggs, AndyPaul and the rest of good members here I took a course which I think will help me to gain qualifications, UK's demand, plus it helps me to stop from getting bored. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Don't worry, we will soon find a job.We can start from a blue collar job and get some experience from this country. Then, we will see. In the mean time...go find yourself another thing to do to polish your CV. Regards.:smileybigtmouth:

LET'S JUST DON'T GIVE UP LOLS CHEER-UP, We can fight this feeling:action-smiley-081::xxgrinning--00xx3: I didn't receive a call from factory yesterday where I applied, but still hoping that someday I could have one that I could enjoy. I had a call yesterday for my QC application in a factory which I don't expect anymore because I applied there for ages and glad to receive a call for final interview yesterday:D

I am still hoping that someday, I will enjoy with the job I got:xxgrinning--00xx3: I really want to work with NUMBERS AND WITH PEOPLE:BouncyHappy:

Goodluck for all of us CLUB MEMBERS:Brick:

tiger@tigress
12th September 2007, 11:13
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Goodluck to all of us :xxgrinning--00xx3: Job Hunters :Hellooo:

hilda_danao
12th September 2007, 13:18
Been to our local college this afternoon and made inquiry about Sage Line 50 and they said they have tutorial for that course and I will take Level 2. Need to inform hubby first then will start next week. :D[/size] I wish I could finish that course like you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hi, Penny. Ofcourse you will finish that course. Looking at those credentials you've got, skills you have...Girl, only mental can't see your potential. :xxgrinning--00xx3: I've just noticed, there are many of us here that does Accounting. Perhaps, we should build an association:icon_lol::icon_lol: let's call it Brit-wives-Job Seekers or whatever:icon_lol::icon_lol: You can do it Penny, although SAGE Line 50 has many types...there are SAGE Line Accountant Proffesional, SAGE Line Financial Accounts, etc. I was at PC World today and was actually looking for that software because I thought it's cheaper to buy a software CD than fetting a tutorial course. Although, the advantage we get from a tutorial is obviously someone will teach you and guide online and they will give you books and materials to practice the system. But still, am confused which SAGE Line 50 am going to get, so I ended up empty handed coming back home:doh[/quote]

Hi singkit!
do u have ebay account? you can buy sage line 50 interactive training cd there. only cost £4.49. i was planning to get it but i changed my mind coz i won't get certificate/qualification from it. so i enrolled in ics. my course is sage instant accounts. i don't really know what the difference is. i think i'll buy the sage line 50 cd after i finish my course so i can compare them. also thinking of studying IAB manual bookkeeping so i can take exam for certified bookkeepers. just a plan. :) anyway my husband's friend told me that after i finish my course i can do bookkeeping for them. i think it can also be a good freelance business. i really want to do all of this within 3 years. clock is ticking. i want to have a baby after 3 years. hehehe.

Hi Fred!
i have signed up for 2 agencies only. they've been emailing me vacant positions but i haven't really found yet the job that would suit me. prob is i don't drive yet so i have to get a job from our local area only.

I got a friend from Boots who told me they might need me for xmas. i think it's a good thing to do while looking for the job that i want.

Hi Rita!
i think it's better if you get just any job for the mean time until you get the job that u really want to do.hehe. Coz like me, i applied for a job since june. and up to now, i still got no job. :)i wasted my time looking for job that i want. just an advice from me.

Hi Penny and Singkit!
there's philippine nurses association. why not call us Aga -accounting grad association? hehe.

:doh That's it guys! God bless!:)

hilda_danao
12th September 2007, 13:44
Hi singkit!
oh you won't believe it! i have just researched about sage softwares. latest sage line 50 is now called Sage 50 accounts 2008. just cost £616.88 :yikes: don't bother buying it unless u have ur own business. if you wanna have a look, here's the link:
http://www.sage.co.uk/productsandservices/home.aspx?tid=131865&stid=131870

the software i got here at home is sage instant accounts which im using for my course. it all cost me over £500. im only after the diploma really. then study sage line 50 on my own. :)

singkit
12th September 2007, 18:43
Hi singkit!
oh you won't believe it! i have just researched about sage softwares. latest sage line 50 is now called Sage 50 accounts 2008. just cost £616.88 :yikes: don't bother buying it unless u have ur own business. if you wanna have a look, here's the link:
http://www.sage.co.uk/productsandservices/home.aspx?tid=131865&stid=131870

the software i got here at home is sage instant accounts which im using for my course. it all cost me over £500. im only after the diploma really. then study sage line 50 on my own. :)

Good job Hildz, better do something worthwhile while waiting for a job we want. We don't just waste another time, but we spend it wise...and it refreshes our skills as well. AGA sounds good, huh:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Les_lady888
12th February 2008, 04:16
To sum it up, I can see from your posts that getting a Bachelors Degree in Phils wont easily make u get a job in UK....so the following should also be taken into consideration:

1. One must know how to drive well;
2. Better to sign up with various employment agencies;
3. Must always have map to know the way around or should know her way around (just in case prospect office is far from residence);
4. Must of course can speak and write good english (jeeze, I need to learn more on that :doh )
5. Must look smart and professional during interviews;
6. Meet Patience and Perseverance and make sure they are always with you :D (oh, but I should say those virtues are innate to filipinos)

Anything else?? Can you add more????

rands
14th February 2008, 20:15
I have not been on for a while but maybe my experience will give a bit of hope to filipinos...Like most of you I have a bachelor's degree in accounting back home, never took up CPA exam, 1 year audit experience, 3 years finance & admin assistant experience in the Phils., 2 years in Saudi as executive assistant plus 14 units of MBA which I didn't finish back home in Ateneo.

I came here with the heart to start as a crew at Mc Donald's. As soon as I got my FLR, I thought It won't hurt to try applying for jobs which I know quite well. Just a try, I thought. I applied for any jobs I see on newspaper, internet...etc. I managed to get a job as finance assistant in 1 month at a local government, worked hard, closed my ears and eyes to office politics i.e. gossips and monsters in the office. I tried to apply for promotion after 5 mos but was turned down due to lack of enough experience for the higher post. I was tasked to do a high level job but being paid as assistant until I realised they were just taking advantage of me. I tried applying again within the same organisation when a vacancy came up, but this time I was turned down for office politics again i.e. could be racial but I can't tell. They're usually very good at cover up. Anyway, I tried again for 3rd time by applying in another team as finance officer in the same organisation but this time I brought home the bacon! It was my moment! When the boss in my team knew about it, he offered the same level of job but I refused. In my mind, I said, too late, bitch!

I'm taking AAT and I will finish it next year and of course it's for free. I am looking forward to applying for my next promotion and do higher level studies.

I know discrimination exists either for real and sometimes simply in our mind...WE SHOULD NOT LET ANYBODY PUT US DOWN BECAUSE OF OUR RACE.

- Practise developing your English language, accent, and confidence which are vital in this day and age. They judge people by how they speak and look, so make sure you are very smart and confident or at least appear to be like it during interviews.

Don't give up, keep fighting, we have a degree. Show that you know what they ask and that you are the right person for the job.

Smile (which is our mark as Pinoys) and show you have a positive attitude which will take you farther in your career.

WE CAN ALL DO IT!

Rands:Hellooo:

gWaPito
15th February 2008, 01:52
My wife also came here with a 'bachelors degree' She knew from the outset she would not get the type of work she desired here in the ' good old UK'. She was just being realistic. Like she says, better to be on 700 pesos an hour here than be on 300 pesos A DAY in the Philippines doing what I'm trained to do.
Discrimination is also big in the Philippines from what I've experienced. I wasn't even allowed to use our surname for our businesses because we were informed that it sounded too foreign!!

gWaPito
15th February 2008, 02:07
Discrimination is rife in every country, my sisters and there families in both Perth and melbourne Australia get it every day and they have been there 20yrs, it's something we all have to go along with, we can never beat it

gWaPito
15th February 2008, 02:18
To sum it up, I can see from your posts that getting a Bachelors Degree in Phils wont easily make u get a job in UK....so the following should also be taken into consideration:

3. Must always have map to know the way around or should know her way around (just in case prospect office is far from residence);
4. Must of course can speak and write good english (jeeze, I need to learn more on that :doh )
6. Meet Patience and Perseverance and make sure they are always with you :D (oh, but I should say those virtues are innate to filipinos)

Anything else?? Can you add more????

Don't mention your bachelors degree or any other degree you have gained from the Phil. So when you are applying for that lowly paid job the interviewer won't be put off!!!

joebloggs
15th February 2008, 11:07
discrimination is more wide spread in the phils than in the uk, age, height, etc

as for qualifications depends on the job your applying for, my misses was even told at interviews, "sorry, your over qualified, i've just realised what qualifications you've got", so we took off her cv she had a biology and medicine degree, adjust your CV for the job your applying for. as for discrimination about promotion, just becuase you didn't get it, you think of reasons why you didn't, and it's easy for the race excuse to pop up..

as for your degree, you can get it evaluated by http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=16

and you can compare your degree to an english one.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

kimmi
15th February 2008, 13:13
thanks for the link Joe..I am glad to read this thread at least I am aware now on ways to find jobs here but I wonder how does the cv here in the UK should look like?? is it the same how we do it in the Phils..?

KeithD
15th February 2008, 13:21
http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/cvexamples.htm

kimmi
15th February 2008, 13:24
Thank u so much Boss, I am just getting ready as early as now..:)

pennybarry
1st May 2008, 09:53
I have not been on for a while but maybe my experience will give a bit of hope to filipinos...Like most of you I have a bachelor's degree in accounting back home, never took up CPA exam, 1 year audit experience, 3 years finance & admin assistant experience in the Phils., 2 years in Saudi as executive assistant plus 14 units of MBA which I didn't finish back home in Ateneo.

I came here with the heart to start as a crew at Mc Donald's. As soon as I got my FLR, I thought It won't hurt to try applying for jobs which I know quite well. Just a try, I thought. I applied for any jobs I see on newspaper, internet...etc. I managed to get a job as finance assistant in 1 month at a local government, worked hard, closed my ears and eyes to office politics i.e. gossips and monsters in the office. I tried to apply for promotion after 5 mos but was turned down due to lack of enough experience for the higher post. I was tasked to do a high level job but being paid as assistant until I realised they were just taking advantage of me. I tried applying again within the same organisation when a vacancy came up, but this time I was turned down for office politics again i.e. could be racial but I can't tell. They're usually very good at cover up. Anyway, I tried again for 3rd time by applying in another team as finance officer in the same organisation but this time I brought home the bacon! It was my moment! When the boss in my team knew about it, he offered the same level of job but I refused. In my mind, I said, too late, bitch!

I'm taking AAT and I will finish it next year and of course it's for free. I am looking forward to applying for my next promotion and do higher level studies.

I know discrimination exists either for real and sometimes simply in our mind...WE SHOULD NOT LET ANYBODY PUT US DOWN BECAUSE OF OUR RACE.

- Practise developing your English language, accent, and confidence which are vital in this day and age. They judge people by how they speak and look, so make sure you are very smart and confident or at least appear to be like it during interviews.

Don't give up, keep fighting, we have a degree. Show that you know what they ask and that you are the right person for the job.

Smile (which is our mark as Pinoys) and show you have a positive attitude which will take you farther in your career.

WE CAN ALL DO IT!

Rands:Hellooo:

We have same degree and same feeling:omg:. That's why I enrolled my courses.I tried to enrol ECDL computing but according to our local college, I need to finish first the Intro to Computing. I feel boring and silly because I'm always the first one who finished our works. My classmates are almost all elderly and first time in PC. :Brick: My teacher said, she will talk to the higher-ups if I can be assessed early and jump for a higher level. Will wait for that:doh

gadgets
1st May 2008, 12:15
try temping also as this can get your foot in the door. the company i work for employs so many temps and some are converted over to regular employees.

good luck

andypaul
1st May 2008, 17:35
try temping also as this can get your foot in the door. the company i work for employs so many temps and some are converted over to regular employees.

good luck

Good advice also gives you a chance to try out different work enviroments. So you can get an idea of good and bad employers.

Peanutz
3rd May 2008, 12:17
My Job experience

When I moved here in UK, I have no idea what kind of job I will be able to find. There was no pressure for me to look for a job, my husband can provide a better living for both of us.
Base in my experience, the first thing you need to learn if you are going to live in a foreign country is the LANGUAGE.
You need to learn the language not only colloquially but also in a professional level.
If you are confident of yourself, you don't need to dress very smart. Of course, you do not go in jeans if you have a job interview!
I would dress accordingly, professional and simple. (avoid too much accessories, strong perfume, mini skirts and too much make up)
I assure you that interviewer can spot a promising candidate by the way he/she looks in your eyes and by the way you deliver your answers to his/her questions.

Good advise about temping, it is happening to me. I am on temp at the moment but by next week I will be employed directly by the company. The company will pay the temp agency to release me (sounds like a ransom) and I will be employed directly by them. Temping can offer you a lot of opportunity.

To sum up:
Language- High importance
Self confidence- very important
Professional attitude- important
CV- important
Appearance- important
And never, never say negative things!
If you need to say negative things, do it with nonchalance and a smile...

Goodluck to everyone whose job hunting.

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 17:38
My Job experience

When I moved here in UK, I have no idea what kind of job I will be able to find. There was no pressure for me to look for a job, my husband can provide a better living for both of us.
Base in my experience, the first thing you need to learn if you are going to live in a foreign country is the LANGUAGE.
You need to learn the language not only colloquially but also in a professional level.
If you are confident of yourself, you don't need to dress very smart. Of course, you do not go in jeans if you have a job interview!
I would dress accordingly, professional and simple. (avoid too much accessories, strong perfume, mini skirts and too much make up)
I assure you that interviewer can spot a promising candidate by the way he/she looks in your eyes and by the way you deliver your answers to his/her questions.

Good advise about temping, it is happening to me. I am on temp at the moment but by next week I will be employed directly by the company. The company will pay the temp agency to release me (sounds like a ransom) and I will be employed directly by them. Temping can offer you a lot of opportunity.

To sum up:
CV- important
Appearance- important

Goodluck to everyone whose job hunting.

Great advice Peanutz from one who has done it herself.

Language and understanding the way business british is done is very important just as it is any where. But remeber to as well as brush up on all you basic skills and learn new ones. Always enhance and expand skills you already have. If you are a people person as many phills are my brit standards, look for a job where you can use these skills.

My wife has found a job where she is in sales,she would never have dreamed of it a few years ago but finds it easy naturally to relate to people and put them at ease and make them feel good about themselves (this is a quote from her appriasal recently)

She has also found her self good at organising a small team and department well run. Again in phill she was used to bossing people around as ATE and look after her bro and sister.
Skills she didn't even know she had.

So Ladies (and gentleman) take a good look at your skills and ablities and you might surprise yourself and others:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Peanutz
4th May 2008, 12:39
Well done to your wife too, Andy. Like what Rand says to her previous post 'we can all do it'. Open your horizon and widen your knowledge, never get tired to enriched your self and your skills.
In the long run, the time and sacrifice invested will give you back a self satisfaction that no one can give you. You owe it to yourself:)

Terrielicious
18th May 2008, 04:53
Oh sadly to hear that but I think it is better if you keep trying who knows, somethings comes when you least expect it. Smilez from here... :)

David House
29th June 2008, 18:30
I have just read a few of the posts here. New arrivals must not expect to walk straight into a job they feel their Philippine qualification equips them for. The UK education system is different and the qualifications gained in the Philippines don't match. In my experience there is little real prejudice, but there are expectations about suitability. If it is a job in which you have to communicate with customers, directly or indirectly, then remember that your English won't yet be "anglicised" and may well still contain many americanisms, which don't go down too well here. What is valued is the Filipinas reputation for having a caring and hard work ethic. If you try to aim at jobs which you can actually get, and then obtain local qualifications you will find work and gradually work your way into better jobs.

gaius
27th October 2008, 11:29

Hi Pennybarry, i would to ask what factory company is this your reffering to?

I'm on job search now!

Ann07
27th October 2008, 17:48
Hi Rita:)

Its not really easy but keep persevering:) In time you will get your dream job.
When I stsrted finding a job after i got my flr here took me more than a month to get a job. It was actually funny coz i sent nice cv with all the companies i applied and get nice feedbacks aswell after the interview but still didnt get the job, when i applied for my current employer i never send a cv just phone them i can apply for the job and they asked me to come straight away for an interview and then got the job.

I am working in a shop owned by a couple and im with them since then. Its my first and still my job now. I just came back after my 9 months maternity leave and they are so good about my time i can work with since my husband has different off days in a week so i can work everytime my husband is off which is very flexible for me.

I just hope you will land a job soon.
praying po.

Ann:)

adam&chryss
2nd November 2008, 21:07
I`m glad people are aware of the fact that they have to improve their english and lose the american part of the language. That a very important point.
Also I don`t know why a degree from another country would mean anything here? Just like ours probably doesn`t mean alot anywhere else. It certainly shouldn`t mean that you can just walk into a job here!
The title of this thread is "Why is it so difficult to get a job here?"
My answer is why wouldn`t it be? It`s not the promised land and I don`t believe anybody is forced to come here.
It`s hard work here in England and you`ll be rewarded if you do so.
On the driving point, well of course you should drive. Employers want you there at work no matter what as they pay you for that.
I think if anybody wants to come to England then maybe it`s a good idea to study here and not in Phil.
Of course every country favours its own people wether right or wrong, for example how I have to pay double at some hotels in Phil! Just cos i`m white I believe!
How can that be when its the same room regardless of skin colour?
Because it`s just another example of racism, yes it does happen to white people!!
Im not saying England is right and anything else is wrong, but these situations are the same in every country.
I just watched Lewis Hamilton win the F1 world championship and he was booed heavily by the Brazilian crowd. And as for the Spanish people with their websites and racism , well thats just terrible.
But thats what makes every country different and it would be boring if we were all the same!
So anyway, good luck to anybody finding work especially at the moment.
And thanks to America for proving again that biggest most certainly isn`t best by ruining the worlds economy.

David House
3rd November 2008, 02:35
This is not discrimination at all, although many Filipinos seem to believe it is. The education system in the Philippines, where I am right now, is very different to the UK and the "degrees" given are simply not accepted at home. I could bang on about how the system here is another form of corruption and is selling false dreams to the poor but the result is that they won't count for anything in the UK as my wife found out the hard way. She had to go to college for 2 years in the UK so she could get the job she wanted. My advice is to use the personal approach and convince employers through the force of your personality rather than through the hope of your CV or paper qualifications. Network, visit people, ask questions, offer to help, do voluntary or charitable work. Demonstrate how great you are rather than expect them to be impressed by paper, because they won't be.

adam&chryss
3rd November 2008, 21:20
Thats a very good point David. From what i`ve read on here many people can impress potential employers with their enthusiasm and positive outlook.
Also making as many friends as possible helps as someone always knows someone else thats looking to employ new staff. Though maybe with the current financial climate that may prove to be harder than usual.
Forget about the paperwork and try to impress using YOURSELF.
Good luck with your search.

Pepe n Pilar
4th November 2008, 19:19
>>>Having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, much more a job that you like. Majority of the work depends on the individual, the degree is just something to beautify you.

>>>I don't believe that Philippine Education is so behind as compared to US, Canada or the UK standards. However, i believe that there is a "general impression" that Phil. education is not at par with their standards - this is where you prove them wrong but it won't be easy.

>>>For those that have thought that they are over qualified - Never assume that they think highly of you. Assume the opposite and then work your way up. Once they realize your potential, things will be easier because they will now view you as "one of them".

>>>Even in the Philippines, being competent in the English language will open a lot of opportunity for you.

>>>Never think that the interviewer is being intimidated by you if you have a good education back home. It's the other way around - NO British experience.(this is for first timers seeking for a job). You just need to stumble upon that company that will take its chance on you.

>>>And lastly, it is not true that our Education in the Phils is not recognized. It is just that it won't be the basis in hiring but still they will look into your CV if you had studied and what course.

Good luck to all job hunters.....:)

ANDRES25
27th November 2008, 17:40
I'm sure you can get a job soon. Don't lose hope... Good thing is your husband is very supportive... So just keep on applying girl!

DaveyWallis
27th November 2008, 21:52
As an employer can I point out how difficult it is to find decent staff these days.

You'd think that in times like these that people would want to work and would be grateful for an interview. However many cannot be bothered to find out where they need to go for interviews, some turn up so that they can continue to claim benefits (no intention of taking a job) and others find out that they will lose tax credits and so don't even bother turning up for interviews.

Andy

joebloggs
28th November 2008, 00:43
some turn up so that they can continue to claim benefits (no intention of taking a job) and others find out that they will lose tax credits and so don't even bother turning up for interviews.

Andy

most unemployed people want to work, sure a number don't, but have you ever tried to live on £60 a week :NoNo:

and from the pay that some employers offer, minimum pay, no wonder they don't want to work. you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, fair days pay for a fair days work :xxgrinning--00xx3:

if they are single, i don't think they would get tax creds, if they do have kids, then the pay should be enough, that they shouldn't need tax creds to survive.

andypaul
28th November 2008, 00:55
You are not alone Rita! I also applied for a job as a receptionist and the interview sounds really great. He told me he'll phone me next day but never phoned me back.... sad.... But anyways, I never lose hope! just keep on trying !

Did you phone back?

Firstly to hear if any news? Secondly if they say sorry ma, ask how they felt the interview went?

Very few do that with me but in a job like receptionist I would expect them to be comfortable on the phone and proactive.

Just a thought.

In interviews and the like its amazing if all the main candidates are level pegging what can make the difference.

One guy who was weaker on paper than others, got the job as he showed a forwardness and likeabilty which none of the others did. Technically he should never have got the job but he did and is a star employee with awards for his good work.

Also many people if they are going to leave a job do so soon after taking it. Worth being fresh in the mind of those who make the decisions.

joebloggs
28th November 2008, 01:04
agree Andy, you've got to appear to fit in. in the 80's i went for a job at BASS the brewery, it was programming fruit machines, and i thought it was going well, until he mentioned a £40 a month beer allowance, the guy had a massive beer gut, and without thinking i said i didn't drink :doh, you could hear a pin drop. i didn't get the job :icon_lol: :cwm24:

only tell them what they want to hear :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
28th November 2008, 01:09
agree Andy, you've got to appear to fit in. in the 80's i went for a job at BASS the brewery, it was programming fruit machines, and i thought it was going well, until he mentioned a £40 a month beer allowance, the guy had a massive beer gut, and without thinking i said i didn't drink :doh, you could hear a pin drop. i didn't get the job :icon_lol: :cwm24:

only tell them what they want to hear :xxgrinning--00xx3:

So your the one who couldn't organise a :censored: up in a brewery:D

joebloggs
28th November 2008, 01:19
£40 a month was a lot of money then , you would be :Cuckoo::Rasp: everyday

i learnt my lesson that day, it's like playing a game of chess, keep one move ahead if you can :D

lavander
28th November 2008, 08:19
i tried still to apply online in line with my skilled but no company bothers to sponsor my uk visa....:cwm34:

its just i want to experience working with UK people... :D
and see the difference between Asian, Germany and British...

and from there decide where i want to stay long hahahha...

i need loads of luck i guess...

freezing cold here grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

vbkelly
28th November 2008, 21:36
i had an interview the other day for a carer but i turned it down bcoz they offer me a £6per hour night shift, toink!

cheesewiz
30th November 2008, 15:34
i had an interview the other day for a carer but i turned it down bcoz they offer me a £6per hour night shift, toink!

I get £6/hr night shift. Well, of course if you have a family here its not a good option for you that kind of shift but for a rate of £6/hr that's about right. I get £6/hr on a night shift that's all no night diffrential before we get like £1/per hour on a weekend but they abolished it:bigcry: Some of my colleagues still get the minimum wage of £5.73 im not sure?

So people here with brits spouse or on dependant visas count yourself lucky you can choose any job you want if there's any:Erm:

vbkelly
30th November 2008, 17:20
one of the nursing care home i went offered me £6.50per hour day shift

adam&chryss
30th November 2008, 18:23
Yesterday I had my car washed and hoovered by some Kosovans. They did a great job too.All they do is rent a building with a pressure washer and vacuum and hey presto its a business. Some people in UK would rather claim benefits than work and try to build a future. Too many English people think they are better than some jobs and the wages, don`t become like them.
Think of it as the first rung on a ladder.
From there, if you`re good enough you can build a career and prove your worth.
Hard work and initiative is worth alot to an employer.
Also I would think that any money is better than none!

joebloggs
30th November 2008, 18:32
do you think if they were entitled to claim benefits they would be washing cars in this freezing weather ?

i wonder if they are paying tax and national insurance ? and are they legally entitled to work here? a car wash near me was raided by the immigration people, and they found 3 illegal workers there. the owner was fined £20,000, employers will only exploit them if the money he can save is worth him taking the risk, by paying less than minimum wage, not paying tax and national insurance and employing illegal immigrants, who have no rights and can not complain to anyone ...

adam&chryss
30th November 2008, 19:23
Obviously it`s better that they sit at home and do nothing than provide a service to us!
And it says alot about our authorities that someone can start an illegal business in a town centre and run it for a year in full view of everybody. You`d have thought someone would have called and complained by now eh?
We have a car wash service at our Homebase here which is the same price, can`t imagine that thats illegal too?
Even uses Homebase signs!
Seems i`m living in a crime hotspot!

joebloggs
30th November 2008, 19:38
who sits at home ? the Brit or European worker who will not work for £2 or £3 a hour ? that's what some of the 700,000 illegal workers get here .

the business doesn't have to be illegal, but the guy who owns can either pay a brit or european the minimum wage or more, or employ someone who's illegal for a half the price or less.

with the clamp down on employers hiring illegal workers with penalties of up to £10,000 for each illegal worker employed or even a prison sentence for the employer, those illegal workers will find it a lot more difficult finding work, and may well turn to crime to survive !

andypaul
30th November 2008, 22:01
From what I know one of the Wifes mates at works Boyfriend is a part owner of one of the East european car washs you write of. They are all here legally at that one and get the minimum wage but are treated in a manner from what i hear which most Brits would not accept. Long hours in the cold with as much manual work as possible as opposed to buying expensive equipment or paying for heating.

I asked how you know they are all legal to the Wifes friend she said they get raided all the time!!

I also know in the past a few round our way were well know as places to buy drugs and what not. So i think many are kept a close eye on by the old bill.

joebloggs
30th November 2008, 22:27
not just car wash places, restaurants, farms, takeaways, anywhere that uses lower skilled labour..

you say that their legal, well the one near me obviously wasn't employing legal workers or he wouldn't have got fined £15k!

with your lord major bungling boris johnson talking about an amnesty for illegal immigrants, it will never happen, he doesn't have the power, and no british gov will do it, more people will come here illegally and wait for the next amnesty. something Spain found out the hard way.

Jay&Zobel
30th November 2008, 23:04
[SIZE="3"]Just had 3 yrs experience as Accountant, 7 yrs supervisory, QC abroad, 5 yrs handling my own business, HOUSEKEEPING ASSISTANT in UK holiday park:Brick: and now in a factory. My boss offered me to apply as QC Mgr in our company but when he found out I couldn't drive, I didn't get it:Brick: Anyway, I am not choosy as I am new in this country and still willing to learn and to be trained:xxgrinning--00xx3:. WILLING TO FOLLOW UK STANDARD:action-smiley-081::Brick::D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Spent lots of money to have a good education in the PI and then went to UK to do housekeeeping... hay hay buhay! very ironic right? things we do for our husbands hehe...
:D

QUOTE]

well done :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

[QUOTE=markieFHM;54023]Don't mention your bachelors degree or any other degree you have gained from the Phil. So when you are applying for that lowly paid job the interviewer won't be put off!!!

yep, no one wants to employ you if you are more intelligent that the boss/interviewer, they are scared that you will take over their jobs (doh!) :Erm::NoNo::cwm23:

To sum up:
CV- important
Appearance- important

well said too! :xxgrinning--00xx3::Hellooo:

Open your horizon and widen your knowledge, never get tired to enriched your self and your skills.

Go to college (UK) and enroll yourself to get a qualification here in the UK. Enroll in short term courses that will benefit you in applying jobs.

[QUOTE=itsme_iye;96867]>>>Having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, much more a job that you like. Majority of the work depends on the individual, the degree is just something to beautify you.
>>>I don't believe that Philippine Education is so behind as compared to US, Canada or the UK standards. However, i believe that there is a "general impression" that Phil. education is not at par with their standards - this is where you prove them wrong but it won't be easy.
>>>For those that have thought that they are over qualified - Never assume that they think highly of you. Assume the opposite and then work your way up. Once they realize your potential, things will be easier because they will now view you as "one of them".
>>>Even in the Philippines, being competent in the English language will open a lot of opportunity for you.
>>>Never think that the interviewer is being intimidated by you if you have a good education back home. It's the other way around - NO British experience.(this is for first timers seeking for a job). You just need to stumble upon that company that will take its chance on you.
>>>And lastly, it is not true that our Education in the Phils is not recognized. It is just that it won't be the basis in hiring but still they will look into your CV if you had studied and what course.QUOTE]

again all have been said are all true!

having a good educational background/has got a very high educational attainment will not always guarantee you to secure a job in the UK but it will help you in the future (once you already have the job) your experiences, skills & knowledge will be very helpful in doing your daily work because you have already got the edge in your chosen field.

UK vs PI Educational attainment Compared
Infant School - Toddler School
Preschool - Preschool/ Kindergarten
Primary School - Elementary
Junior/Senior School - Highschool
College - VOCATIONAL COURSE!!! short term 1month - 2yrs schooling (Baking, Cosmetics/Beautician, Photography, Sewing, Basic Engineering, Basic Bookkeeping
University - College 1st-4th year!!!!
Doctoral/Masteral/PhD - Same

hmmmm...
back in the PI we sometimes look down on those people who have not taken College degrees like BS Accounting, BS Engineering, BA in ENglish, BS Teaching or have just finished vocational degree: Mechanics, Refrigiration, Technician, Plumbing (college equivalent in the UK)...

SO made you think?
Is it really worth it to finish 4-5 years in College just to get that Bachelors Degree Diploma (having unnecessary subjects which are very irrelevant to your Course: Social Arts, Homeroom, Philosophy, Psychology, Pscychiatry, High Maths, Physical Education, Typing, Love Courtship & Marriage, Religion and others)?
Or are those who have finished Vocational Courses are more clever coz they took the straight to the point courses?

andypaul
30th November 2008, 23:24
not just car wash places, restaurants, farms, takeaways, anywhere that uses lower skilled labour..

you say that their legal, well the one near me obviously wasn't employing legal workers or he wouldn't have got fined £15k!

with your lord major bungling boris johnson talking about an amnesty for illegal immigrants, it will never happen, he doesn't have the power, and no british gov will do it, more people will come here illegally and wait for the next amnesty. something Spain found out the hard way.

I know severla places have ilegal workers but i think many of the ones near us have been turned over so often and the jobs market has slowed down now that they have no need for ilegals.Many are now prepared to do the work, i now see Indian and african workers in the car washs as well as those who could well be Brit or western european.

Our Boris who i think is doing ok, hes not the lord mayor of the city of london thats the other one no body ever knows the name of.

I think Brois is one of those who has too many ideas sometimes. He does have a point no way are all of them going to be deported it would take to long and cost to much. But then no way can you be seen to condon coming here breaking the law.
As he pointed out his duty is to be the voice of london as well as havings some powers in London.

Who does manchester have as mayor or leader, or are they silll waiting for democracy up there:D

andypaul
30th November 2008, 23:27
Spent lots of money to have a good education in the PI and then went to UK to do housekeeeping... hay hay buhay! very ironic right? things we do for our husbands hehe...

[quote=Les_lady888;53751]To sum it up, I can see from your posts that getting a Bachelors Degree in Phils wont easily make u get a job in UK....so the following should also be taken into consideration:
QUOTE]

yep, no one wants to employ you if you are more intelligent that the boss/interviewer, they are scared that you will take over their jobs (doh!) :Erm::NoNo::cwm23:

Go to college (UK) and enroll yourself to get a qualification here in the UK. Enroll in short term courses that will benefit you in applying jobs.

[quote=itsme_iye;96867]>>>Having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, much more a job that you like. Majority of the work depends on the individual, the degree is just something to beautify you.
>>>And lastly, it is not true that our Education in the Phils is not recognized. It is just that it won't be the basis in hiring but still they will look into your CV if you had studied and what course.QUOTE]

having a good educational background/has got a very high educational attainment will not always guarantee you to secure a job in the UK but it will help you in the future (once you already have the job) your experiences, skills & knowledge will be very helpful in doing your daily work because you have already got the edge in your chosen field.

College - VOCATIONAL COURSE!!! short term 1month - 2yrs schooling (Baking, Cosmetics/Beautician, Photography, Sewing, Basic Engineering, Basic Bookkeeping

hmmmm...
back in the PI we sometimes look down on those people who have not taken College degrees like BS Accounting, BS Engineering, BA in ENglish, BS Teaching or have just finished vocational degree: Mechanics, Refrigiration, Technician, Plumbing (college equivalent in the UK)...

SO made you think?
Is it really worth it to finish 4-5 years in College just to get that Bachelors Degree Diploma (having unnecessary subjects which are very irrelevant to your Course: Social Arts, Homeroom, Philosophy, Psychology, Pscychiatry, High Maths, Physical Education, Typing, Love Courtship & Marriage, Religion and others)?
Or are those who have finished Vocational Courses are more clever coz they took the straight to the point courses?

An Excellent post

I would echo that English skills are vital. If unsure what you want to do basic computing skills are useful as so many jobs in the UK involve computers even working in a coffe shop the wife used to have to use a PC. While in many work enviroments PC's are quite rare.

Even if I compare say the Wifes local Town hall to a british one. Every desk in the UK has a PC in Phill i cant rember seeing one from my quick walk though.

Jay&Zobel
30th November 2008, 23:58
An Excellent post

I would echo that English skills are vital. If unsure what you want to do basic computing skills are useful as so many jobs in the UK involve computers even working in a coffe shop the wife used to have to use a PC. While in many work enviroments PC's are quite rare.

Even if I compare say the Wifes local Town hall to a british one. Every desk in the UK has a PC in Phill i cant rember seeing one from my quick walk though.

Salamat po! ENGLISH ENGLISH ENGLISH!! made me think to take IELTS hehe...doh! i'm rubbish in taking tests! hehe i havent took the Life in the UK test yet hehe..doh! :CompBuster::doh

I flunked CPA Board! Certified Public Accountants' Board exams in the PI hehe... But hehe, my boss said: i should be paid higher than what im earning now? lol (hehe, ooops sorry a bit arrogant there... lol)

so Miss Penny is indeed overqualified in her present job... hay hay buhay (sigh sigh life)

joebloggs
1st December 2008, 00:04
Who does manchester have as mayor or leader, or are they silll waiting for democracy up there:D

people power that's what Andy, remember ollie Cromwell

peeps in Manchester are voting on the congestion charge !, its funny to see first buses have put 'vote yes' on the back of every seat on all their buses, all the £$£%% thru the door, telling us to vote yes, one sided campaign, but peel holdings, owners of the Trafford centre have got 'vote no' signs everywhere around the Trafford centre.

from the local newspaper were told most people want to vote yes !!!! hahahaha, sorry my smilies icons are not werking, need to reboot pc,,

like %$%%^£%£$ most want it, i think it will be a big NO vote,, and bye bye charge !! :o)

joebloggs
1st December 2008, 00:09
I flunked CPA Board! Certified Public Accountants' Board exams in the PI hehe... But hehe, my boss said: i should be paid higher than what im earning now? lol (hehe, ooops sorry a bit arrogant there... lol)

your not the only one to flunk CPA, my misses brother did to, but he has no excuse, as his mom is head of accountancy at Palawan state uni !

many people are over qualified for the job they do, my misses is more qualified than her manager and many she works with, even Brits are over qualified to do the job they do, but you have to start somewhere (bottom of the ladder) and work your way up ..

just keep trying.. :o)

Jay&Zobel
1st December 2008, 00:15
your not the only one to flunk CPA, my misses brother did to, but he has no excuse, as his mom is head of accountancy at Palawan state uni !

many people are over qualified for the job they do, my misses is more qualified than her manager and many she works with, even Brits are over qualified to do the job they do, but you have to start somewhere (bottom of the ladder) and work your way up ..

just keep trying.. :o)

YEAH, DEFINITELY! hehe thank you po!

My classmate in Highschool & College who's always the TOP STUDENT: got the highest honours: ELEMENTARY& HIGHSCHOOL:VALEDICTORIAN,
COLLEGE: SUMA CUM LAUDE hehe Flunked the CPA Board! Now heehhe tell me, is education really matters? hehehehe funny:Erm::Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3::cwm12::cwm12::Cuckoo::Cuckoo:

simplelife
1st December 2008, 00:23

[QUOTE=Les_lady888;53751]To sum it up, I can see from your posts that getting a Bachelors Degree in Phils wont easily make u get a job in UK....so the following should also be taken into consideration:
QUOTE]

[QUOTE=itsme_iye;96867]>>>Having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, much more a job that you like. Majority of the work depends on the individual, the degree is just something to beautify you.

hmmmm...

SO made you think?

:xxgrinning--00xx3: brilliant post.

joebloggs
1st December 2008, 00:25
why don't you take the exam here ?

i thought it is internationally recognised ?

Jay&Zobel
1st December 2008, 00:34
why don't you take the exam here ?

i thought it is internationally recognised ?

hehhe that's the thing i hate studying lol :Erm::bigcry:

but i have viewed the Accounting courses here... but i have already taken them in the PI... (same thing- basic accounting, financial accounting, managerial & others) and huhuhuhu i dont want to take it again.. hehe..
maybe someday...

ok...
i have finished Bachelors in Accountancy (3.5yrs) and all were undertaken: basic accounting, financial accounting, managerial & others

but here,
it is completely different. you can choose whatever field or specialiciation that you fancy. choose 1 or 2 or all... but in the PI it is not the case...

Jay&Zobel
3rd December 2008, 18:59
Hi guys

The manager sent me an email and apologise for not ringing me and he ask me to come for a second interview. I went and today they offered me the job!

COngratulations po! Keep us posted!

adam&chryss
3rd December 2008, 19:57
Congratulations!
I take it you`ll accept the job?
That`s a nice boost before xmas!
Well done.

simplelife
5th December 2008, 19:20
Hi guys

The manager sent me an email and apologise for not ringing me and he ask me to come for a second interview. I went and today they offered me the job!

Thats great.!:xxgrinning--00xx3: goodluck.

andypaul
5th December 2008, 19:25
Hi guys

Great news so if you had politely rang him...

Well Done and good luck in the future:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
6th December 2008, 00:46
i lived in the philippines for 5 years, and could not get a job, even uk doctors can not work in the philippines, so its much easier here then there for us, and at least here you can work somewhere, i spent a miserable 5 years in the heat and the pollution of manila, bored and stagnating , i am so glad i am back in europe, just keep on trying but dont epect to get any special treatment, you have to join the back of the queue

uk docs can't work in the phils ?? many uk docs are working in auz and new zeland.

not easy for non euro docs to work in the uk, unless your married to european :NoNo:

GaryFifer
6th December 2008, 01:55
I have a degree in chemistry. There are lack of scientist degree out there now. But the pay sucks for the work involved. I have met many of you pychology graduates before.But you have to ask yourself? What skills are transferable to a job. Of course studying Friedrich_Nietzsche, you must be able to speak on your subject. I would assume from that public speaking is not a problem for you? So its useful in presentation ideas and pitching stuff. Marketing?

From my experiences, education is being dumbed down. I know that for a fact since I was the last to do O grades in 1990 before they were scrapped for Standard Grades, with there so called coursework, and core studies. That transition period was full of strikes. The teachers that were old and strict retired.And new teachers came in with a new attitude of... wanting to be your friend,not your teacher. Weird.
If you have kids doing these now,the content is questionable. I heard phrases like "well I got 40% on my coursework so I don't need high mark in my final exam" "Maybe I won't turn up" hmmm, maybe i won't turn up for the heart operation tomorrow jimmy.

People left school with O grades in 4th year for a reason. That was it. They were equipped. Those that wanted more stayed. The Arithmetic O grade paper was one of the most important and now people watch Carol Vorderman thinking shes clever doing sums. how i hate that woman.Plsss, children need better role models than this. Anyways. I am just waffling.

Heres a report about bringing back counting inside the head..http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/briantaylor/2007/11/a_calculated_move.html

Anyways try these websites and put ur CV up there too. It is useful to let them headhunt you. And remember, if you got to the interview stage, you are doing the right things. You are impressing people enough to get there. Keep at it. Good luck

http://www.jobsite.co.uk
http://www.monster.co.uk
http://www.prospects.ac.uk

David House
6th December 2008, 17:43
I am presently in the Philippines and my wife is completing the BsEd she was taking when we met. I am appalled at the standard of teaching she is receiving, the high class numbers and the fact that many of the "units" have little relevance to becoming a teacher. Some of her classmates can hardly speak our language so how on earth they can expect to teach it is beyond me. There is a huge difference between the Philippine standards and those in the UK and those of you who fail to accept this are deluding yourselves. From what I have observed a "degree" course here is around the same level as a GCSE in the UK. What has to be remembered is that educational establishments here are businesses. Their principal reason for existing is to take fees off willing students. Good teaching and successful results are very secondary. If they can economise on staff they will. If they can cram classrooms they will. If they can encourage drop outs, and then economise on staff they will. I have no doubt that there must be some level of government imposed control but it's pretty loose and ineffective. Most UK schools are not run for profit, but by local authorities. The standards imposed are universally high, controlled by Ofsted. I own a nursery school and can vouch for their thoroughness. Class numbers are limited, teachers well qualified, the curriculum and examinations standardised. I don't mean to hurt the feelings of any Filipino reading this. I have employed several Filipinos in the past and have huge respect for their work ethic and caring attitude. It is simply unfortunate that the qualifications you feel so proud of will not often be of very much use to you in the UK. That does not make you unemployable. Far from it, but you need to adopt an alternative approach and not expect the paper you present to carry much weight.

joebloggs
6th December 2008, 20:54
check with http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=15 to see if your paper carries much weight :NoNo:

in some cases what you say maybe true, but don't put down the many qualified nurses who work here in the uk, and to suggest that degrees are worthless is :icon_lol:, in the case of my misses she has a degree in biology and her medical degree is recognised by the GMC.

David House
7th December 2008, 14:20
check with http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=15 to see if your paper carries much weight :NoNo:

in some cases what you say maybe true, but don't put down the many qualified nurses who work here in the uk, and to suggest that degrees are worthless is :icon_lol:, in the case of my misses she has a degree in biology and her medical degree is recognised by the GMC.

Accepted, of course. My wife registered with Naric when she first arrived in the UK and they gave her nil credit, absolutely ziltch, for all her efforts in the Philippines. Nurses have to undergo an adaptation course before they can start to work but their degrees, and other medical based ones, appear to have some real value. Of course such arrivals will almost always have a job to go to and their qualification thoroughly checked before their visa issued. My main point was to try to ensure that the level of expectation is not too high so that other newcomers remain realistic. We have many Filipino friends who have arrived with the belief that their commercial "degree" will smooth their path into a "good" job who ended up disappointed.

GaryFifer
8th December 2008, 01:53
How is it then Pakistani people seem to do better.That's an assumed observation of course. Is it networking?

silver13
15th December 2008, 14:47
Just a bit of information to brighten the spirit, my wife applied to many many job vacancies all in areas that where within her comfort zone of administrative work, she was relentless in making applications and would spend almost all day on the computer searching and filling in applications on all the popular web job search web sites. She never gave up even though at the end of each day she felt very stressed by the whole process, but now she has a job that is better than she could have dreamed of, it just goes to show that patience is a virtue, and to any lazy Brits just claiming benefits when in reality they could work for a living, do what my wife did and get a job!!!! :-)

Mrs.JMajor
15th December 2008, 14:51
Silver,

That's what Filipino are... :appl:......................never :ARsurrender:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
15th December 2008, 19:17
and to any lazy Brits just claiming benefits when in reality they could work for a living, do what my wife did and get a job!!!! :-)

the problem is, for some people claiming benefits they are unemployable, unlike your wife, and the longer your on benefits the harder it is to get off, not many employers will take that risk. So their in a bit of a catch 22 :doh

Maria2
21st December 2008, 01:42
I think that people might have more luck with local authorities and housing associations. Very detailed job descriptions and jobs/person specifications are issued. Read it all thoroughly and then take the person spec and give real information and examples of your work e.g don't just say you have x qualification but also give an example of where you applied this qualification and talk about your achievements without being over boastful. If you can cover each point on the person spec you stand a good chance of interview.

Type it all with bulleted lists in Word and do proper spell checks. Give the Word document the title of that page or paragraph. Start a new document for another paragraph. Then on the application form write 'See attached Word document headed ABC'. Application forms get photocopied and if you supply a lot of the information such as education and experience on a Word document it turns out nice and pristine and can easily be read through which may not be the case if you squeeze it into an application form. I alawys put 'footers on mine saying 'Page 1 of 2 Experience and my initials' for example. That way it should all remain organised and attached to my application and not attributed to someone else. Get someone else to read your application and accept feedback.

Look at your educational qualifications and take the ones you did at 15/16 years and say this is the equilvalent of GCSE exams. The ones you did at 17/18 may equate to the A levels children take in the UK. They are not going to do the homework on this so break it down for them. Don't gloss over things. If you sudied French, history, maths English lit, chemistry, physics at 15/16 exams give this detail. If a course you took is the equivalent of a university entrance or A levels then say so. Just accept that you have had an excellent eduacation and put it across. They are not going to fish for it. Spell it out.

If there is something on the person spec about equla opportunites write a decent statement about not just race but hearing impaired, people in wheel chairs. Write from your heart about how you feel treating people with respect matters to you. Avoid giving some meaningless wrap up sentence. Write like you are speaking to them.

Show that you understand the importance of deadlines, of keeping people informed well in advance if you cannot meet them and show your understanding of the importance of team work. Again give examples from your working life. They want a flavour of you as an individual.

Last but not least know what you have written inside out and know that those interviewing you will only have glanced at it so regurgitate it verbally in your answers at interview. Don't think that they have read it and know it.
:ARsurrender:

kermit123
30th December 2008, 00:56
Good luck.:xxgrinning--00xx3: i m sorry i dont think thats right barnsley mark its hard to get a job in uk becouse theres so many people that are looking for jobs. so thay can take there pick. And the education system isent that bad when so many people come here for education from overseas.So you d employ some one that carnt read or right but will work hard come on mark ,ok its not perfect but its pretty good here ( education) and standed of liveing as well be gratefull we have some kind of system that is free well (we do pay lot of tax for it )work for free :yikes: you ll be saying next mark she sould sleep with the boss to get the job. just keep trying there are jobs out there and you will get one just dont give up,,, gaz/maybs (only what i think ):) allways smile :)

kermit123
30th December 2008, 01:02

I am now in a factory and applied to another company which offers more overtime. The interviewer said, I am more clever than him as I'm a Bachelor and can speak 3 foreign language. He said he likes filipinos because he heard that we are hardworking and dedicated to work. We'll see tomorrow if he is just kidding because he said he will contact me tomorrow.:action-smiley-081: penny that pic at bottom pulling his pants down on your text made me louth for 20 minutes very very funny:rolleyes:

PAT
30th December 2008, 03:10
penny that pic at bottom pulling his pants down on your text made me louth for 20 minutes very very funny:rolleyes:

Same here :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

vbkelly
30th December 2008, 23:09
yesterday the manager phoned me to let me know that i got the job and i start on 9th january, for me this is a good blessing to start my new year of 2009.

joebloggs
31st December 2008, 00:36
yesterday the manager phoned me to let me know that i got the job and i start on 9th january, for me this is a good blessing to start my new year of 2009.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:great news :Hellooo:

somebody
31st December 2008, 00:43

Great news, good luck with the job:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
31st December 2008, 00:55
i m sorry i dont think thats right barnsley mark its hard to get a job in uk becouse theres so many people that are looking for jobs. so thay can take there pick. And the education system isent that bad when so many people come here for education from overseas.So you d employ some one that carnt read or right but will work hard come on mark ,ok its not perfect but its pretty good here ( education) and standed of liveing as well be gratefull we have some kind of system that is free well (we do pay lot of tax for it )work for free :yikes: you ll be saying next mark she sould sleep with the boss to get the job. just keep trying there are jobs out there and you will get one just dont give up,,, gaz/maybs (only what i think ):) allways smile :)

Many come here from abroad to study some come to use the top class schools, unis and colleges which exist. But sadly not all schools and what have you are up to the very best standards.

Many people do trial periods in jobs my wifes first job was a trial where she worked free for so many hours 10 or 15 i think. She impressed and was before she knew it signed up.
She had a job with out any work experience to show. But she proved to them she was a top notch worker.

Needs must and the job market at the moment is shrinking at a tremdous rate so employers will not take risks. Once that employee is signed up they are dam hard to get rid of. If they are not sure you are not ideal for the job they will most likely pass you by as so many candidates in the market.

vbkelly
31st December 2008, 01:23
:xxgrinning--00xx3:great news :Hellooo:

thanks you kuya joe and somebody

simplelife
31st December 2008, 05:01

Thats brilliant news!:BouncyHappy: Congrats VBkelly. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Good luck to your new career and best wishes to you and to your family.

vbkelly
1st January 2009, 00:29
Thats brilliant news!:BouncyHappy: Congrats VBkelly. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Good luck to your new career and best wishes to you and to your family.

thank you simplelife and happy new year to you and your family

kermit123
1st January 2009, 01:15
As an employer can I point out how difficult it is to find decent staff these days.

You'd think that in times like these that people would want to work and would be grateful for an interview. However many cannot be bothered to find out where they need to go for interviews, some turn up so that they can continue to claim benefits (no intention of taking a job) and others find out that they will lose tax credits and so don't even bother turning up for interviews.

Andy hi andy i have heard same about uk i been here in philippines 4 years and comeing back to uk with my wife next year to have a baby :) then we will return to philippines .say 2 years there im british form brum.i have friends that say thay have guys turn up for jobs saying i need 240 pounds week to make it worth while to work of benifits really bad. i ll be happy just getting basic rate just while we are there think it 5 or 6 pounds hour :) i have flt and reach truck licences and drive 7.5 ton trucks and i have seen lots jobs on job centre but like pinoys ill do any job to make a liveing and im glad to say i ll do good days work for a days pay to :) think people in uk get far to many hand outs sad to say gaz /maybs

kermit123
1st January 2009, 01:22

vbkelly i would have told my wife to take the job.Becouse if you have a job its allways a lot easer to get another job and you are gaining experece as well :) it might seem really bad pay but 40 hours at 6 pounds is 240 pounds better than nothink :( and gives you money to play with while looking for another job thats better for you . You might have enjoyed it night shift is normally very quiet so you might have been able to study to while there reading and lap top. gaz/maybs

joebloggs
1st January 2009, 01:55
£6 an hour at 40hrs a week is about £870 a month after tax/nat, it's not a lot for working nights :NoNo:

also if you got kids, you will have to see if you can claim tax creds to pay for child care, and the inconvenience of not seeing your hubby and kids at normal hours can cause problems.

but as you say, its better to be working than claiming, many employers thou offer only the minimum wage, and by the time you've paid your bills, got to work, you could well have nothing left :NoNo:

old adage - a decent days pay for a decent days work :xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
1st January 2009, 12:33
vbkelly i would have told my wife to take the job.Becouse if you have a job its allways a lot easer to get another job and you are gaining experece as well :) it might seem really bad pay but 40 hours at 6 pounds is 240 pounds better than nothink :( and gives you money to play with while looking for another job thats better for you . You might have enjoyed it night shift is normally very quiet so you might have been able to study to while there reading and lap top. gaz/maybs

yeah you are right but the other care home offer me £6.50per hour day shift but i didn't accept it bcoz there's no bank holiday pay, how bad is that anyway i got a job now

somebody
1st January 2009, 15:19
yeah you are right but the other care home offer me £6.50per hour day shift but i didn't accept it bcoz there's no bank holiday pay, how bad is that anyway i got a job now

Good point about the pay.

Although the chaps rightly say it sounds low. Its not just about the pay per hour. Are you paid weekly or monthly? Different people prefer it in differnt ways. Always nice to get extra for bank holidays. Again some people prefer the higher rate others want more for the bank holidays.

Nights can be handy, i know some couples actually say they see more of one another if they plan out the time well. As both get chores done when the other working/sleeping and the quality time they have is better used.
I know those with children find again if well planed out the time spent with children is better used and with just one parent they spend more one to one time. Which maybe hertic at the time but is worth it when they look back in years to come.

One couple told me now say they only have certain evenings together they plan them and do something nice with them or at least have a good conversation instead of sitting square eyed in front of the telly:D

There is alwasy a positive if you put your mind to it:xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
2nd January 2009, 11:01
Have you tried signing up to different employment agencies? My wife did and they were for ever pestering her about different jobs..At one point it became a little annoying.:Cuckoo:

Yes, I agree with fred, Rita.
The idea is to earn money, so signing on with agencies should get you some work.
Whilst you are working doing something you are too qualified for, you will be earning money and networking with people.
Your good qualities could be noticed and other openings could happen.
Lots of us Brits are over qualified for the jobs we do but we have to pay the bills so it's "hey ho hey ho, it's off to work I go".
With money coming in you can keep looking for something better.
I was in Hemel Hempstead the other week and saw hundreds of agency workers going to work sorting letters for the Royal Mail.
They were from all over the world.
You will find something Rita but don't aim too high right away, work your way up - things will happen if you keep looking and stay positive.
Best of luck. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
2nd January 2009, 11:02

Yes, I agree with fred, Rita.
The idea is to earn money, so signing on with agencies should get you some work.
Whilst you are working doing something you are too qualified for, you will be earning money and networking with people.
Your good qualities could be noticed and other openings could happen.
Lots of us Brits are over qualified for the jobs we do but we have to pay the bills so it's "hey ho hey ho, it's off to work I go".
With money coming in you can keep looking for something better.
I was in Hemel Hempstead the other week and saw hundreds of agency workers going to work sorting letters fo the Royal Mail.
They were from all over the world.
You will find something Rita but don't aim too high right away, work your way up and stay positive - things will happen if you keep looking and stay positive.
Best of luck. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
2nd January 2009, 11:43
...........another thing to do to polish your CV.

Just remember to make your CV (resume for Americans) one page.
Keep it clear, concise and don't be tempted to make it three pages :yikes: or it will probably end up not being looked at.

trends5squared
5th January 2009, 01:08
took me 2 months to find a job here. Submit your transcript of records and your diploma as well to UK NARIC. They will assess your equivalent qualification to that of the UK educational system.

Thats the document you need to attach everytime you apply for a job here.

Just keep on trying . . . believe me . . . i understand how you feel!!! :)

been disappointed too many times when it comes to applying a job here!

Luckily got one in the end with whitebread!!:Hellooo:

To tell you the truth , they are quite impress with my working attitude, i guess it boils down to being a Filipino. Most of us (Filipinos) are hard working and we always put a personal touch in everything we do! :BouncyHappy:

Good luck and best wishes!!!

Peanutz
9th February 2009, 00:00
Hi to everyone,
It’s been a long absence; I have not been able to visit the forum for a looong time. Lot of things happened in my life since the last time I posted in the forum. Last September 2008, after 6 months working as a temp, I have been offered a contract. You can all imagine my happiness when I signed the contract. During this time, my life cycle turned into work, home, and work.
Every morning I wake up at 6 am, I make energy smoothie drink for myself and hubby, buttered toast and tea for breakfast, watched BBC news for five minutes and we get ready for the day ahead of us. I worked hard every single day, I set a target to do at work and I ensure that I will deliver that target by the end of the day. I have been assigned various projects, which I am so happy to do and I showed my enthusiasm to do it.
Those projects have been delivered on time. Our clients have been so happy with the results that they wanted me to manage the operations in South Africa. My company gave me a very good appraisal and I earned my ‘kudos’...I was getting there...I was getting there...
A manager post has been vacated inside the company; I have been pushed with my colleagues to go for it. I applied and afterwards we went for our holiday in Philippines...home at last. We spent almost a month with my family, I never been so overwhelmed of joy and happiness in my life; it was the first time after 30 years that my family are all present to celebrate Christmas day together.
We went in Boracay island and we stayed in a lovely hotel called ‘Asya’. Boracay is a beautiful place, but its beauty is rapidly disappearing, the evident impact of tourism. I have been enchanted when we visited Palawan island, we went in Sabang and stayed in a lovely resort called ‘Daluyon’. What a peaceful remote small fisherman village, I was amazed of the place and I thought that if I were to make a choice where to spend the rest of my life, I would choose to live there without a single doubt in my heart.
We were in lying next to the resort pool when the news arrived. The job has been offered to me!!! Ten people have applied to this role!!! Can you believe it??? No, neither do I...I did it! I did it! Oh yeah, I DID IT!

I would like to share this experience to everyone. When you aim for something, no matter how hard or difficult it would be...do not surrender to any adversities...Go for it and believe me...You can make it (this sounds familiar to me... J)
Good luck to everyone who are in job hunting.

I am back, I will try to pop up every now and then, I miss you guys and I love this forum.:)

Ate Ping, I miss you too!:D

Mrs.JMajor
9th February 2009, 01:23
wow congratulation peanutz, well done :BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

Pepe n Pilar
11th February 2009, 13:24
Congrats Peanutz, well done!.:xxgrinning--00xx3::)

I agree that we can achieve our dreams by working hard on it with pure heart and intentions. As the saying goes " if there's a will there's a way" but, as to my observation even if we try to achieve that particular stuff which we wanted, to make our life easier and live normal and bountiful , we sometimes can't get what we wanted if we don't have the ability or talent which is required in that particualr stuff or shall we say the job we are aspiring on. Everyone is different, some are good in computers, some are good in dealing with costumers. Ex. If they aspire to become a call center agent then they should have the ability to speak clearly, great listening skills, correct grammar and can understand English so well.

I would like to share this experience to everyone. When you aim for something, no matter how hard or difficult it would be...do not surrender to any adversities...Go for it and believe me...You can make it (this sounds familiar to me... J)
Good luck to everyone who are in job hunting.

Let just make sure that the job we're aiming at is applicable to our talent/skills or the skills/talent we have is suited for the job we want to have so we won't get disappointed in the end.
Good luck to everyone and God Bless..

Peanutz
11th February 2009, 23:19
Thank you, Itsme_ye. I agree on what you said ‘we are all different’, some rules applied to some and some are not. The thing is, everyone should find their strength; you can achieve things in life when you know your strength and weaknesses. Everyone has abilities, everyone has talents but these are not enough to achieve what you aspire in life. We have to focus on our strength. Talent is never enough; you need to have passion, initiative, perseverance, courage, and so on.

The different skills I learned from my previous jobs helped me to gain invaluable experiences, and I use these experiences as my tools. We should teach our selves to learn and unlearn, we should always keep ourselves teachable.

We need disappointments, we have to make hundreds of mistakes before we can finally realise what are our strengths. If you know your strengths then you are well ahead, because you know what you can do and what not. I can assure you that to aspire to be a call center agent requires more than the ability to speak clearly, listening skills and use of grammar. It requires persons who have high emotional intelligence, persons who have innate common sense and empathy and these are skills that are not taught in schools, these are skills that you learn in life.

Arm yourself with passion; there is no success without passion. If you get disappointed of the job you are in, think...what it is in here? What I can learn from this? What I can do to change this situation?

Again, find your strength, work on it and think what you are capable of, it doesn’t matter what you do in life, what matters is you are happy doing it. Work because you love what you are doing and do not surrender to any adversities, if you feel you can do it, go for it.

Of course, what written above are just advises, it cannot be applied to you (anyone) if you do not understand what the reasons are behind it.
Ate Ping, natanggap mo na?

aromulus
12th February 2009, 07:34
Sono molto felice per te, carissima.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Buona fortuna per il futuro e tanti auguri.

Pepe n Pilar
12th February 2009, 14:08
> He dicho todo. Uno tiene que tener la capacidad de los aspirantes a trabajar en ella es. Capacidades pueden ser conocidos después de evaluar las fortalezas y nuestras debilidades. Pasión o la unidad debe estar allí también.

>Je l'ai dit tout. On doit avoir la capacité de travail, elle est à l'aspirant. Capacités de mai sera connu qu'après l'évaluation de nos forces et faiblesses. Passion ou le lecteur doit être là aussi.

> I said it all. One has to have the capabilities of the work she is aspiring at. Capabilities may be known after evaluating our strenghts and weaknesses. Passion or drive should be there as well.

:)

>Cómo quisiera que todos los puestos de trabajo que han soñado alguna vez. Buena suerte a todos.

> Comment je souhaite à tous les emplois qu'ils ont toujours rêvé. Bonne chance à tous

>How i wish everyone to have the jobs they ever dreamt of. Good luck to everyone!

:)

Peanutz
14th February 2009, 01:11
Sono molto felice per te, carissima.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Buona fortuna per il futuro e tanti auguri.

Grazie caro Aromulus, un grande abbraccio a Jet e tante belle cose a voi due.:)

singkit
14th February 2009, 18:04
Wow! Congratulations, Peanutz. You're such an inspiration!:xxgrinning--00xx3: Best of Luck.

somebody
14th February 2009, 19:05
Posso prego avere due vetri di lager e di un pacchetto di arachidi fascicolate. Nessun arachidi non salate, arachidi fascicolate. Nessun ho detto le arachidi fascicolate. Un'arachide piacevole :D

Nice one Peanutzs:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well done on the postion and its amazing how well many of the Ladies and gents have got on some taking longer than others and various fields but we do seem to have a highly skilled and talented bunch on here:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mavid
16th February 2009, 17:59
Tumpak, kailangan alamin natin ang ating mga kakayanan at talento upang maging tugma sa kung anumang posisyon ang ating gustong makamit.

Swertihin sana tayong lahat.

Pepe n Pilar
16th February 2009, 18:15
To Mavid, Dapat alam natin ang sarili natin. Pag aralan saan tayo magaling pagkatapos alamin yan, duon i sentro natin ang interes kasama ang matinding pagkagusto segurado makukuha ang inaasam na trabaho o gawain.:)

gemini63
16th February 2009, 20:33
Hey wait!!! ive noticed that it seems wr now in an italian forum. I thought wr not allowed to talk languages that not all in here can understand...

Pepe n Pilar
16th February 2009, 20:43
To Gemini63, Mr. Moderator Aromulus started to post in other language, i just followed. My tagalog version is still on the same topic, don't worry.

Pepe n Pilar
17th February 2009, 10:54
by the way that is Spanish and French, not Italian.
Cheers.....:):Hellooo: