PDA

View Full Version : Davao City beware if you're a smoker.

keith britten
2nd June 2013, 05:20
Davao City is now a smoke free city, the penalties are tough if you're caught so please beware. There are designated smoking area's down town, please let me know if you find one.

jake
2nd June 2013, 07:55
Does that include the smoke belching tricycles and jeeps :biggrin:

They had a similar thing in Manila around 10 years ago. Think it actually lasted about a week. Or maybe it was 3 days :smile:

melovesengland
2nd June 2013, 10:47
Does that include the smoke belching tricycles and jeeps :biggrin:

They had a similar thing in Manila around 10 years ago. Think it actually lasted about a week. Or maybe it was 3 days :smile:

If they could include it they would but it means that drivers will lose their jobs.

Davao is too different if you compare to Manila. Many rules and laws that Mayor Duterte implemented years ago are still going so it wont surprise me that this one will be a success.

Hope it will as it will keep Davao more CLEAN. :xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin::smile:

Terpe
2nd June 2013, 13:43
I remember some years ago it was also difficult to find somewhere to smoke.

Not bothered now I'm a non-smoker.
Since December 31st 2010 @ 10:30pm

Dedworth
2nd June 2013, 14:53
I remember some years ago it was also difficult to find somewhere to smoke.

Not bothered now I'm a non-smoker.
Since December 31st 2010 @ 10:30pm

2.5 years, untold £££'s saved, priceless health benefits :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe you've proved "Where there's a will, There's a way"

fred
2nd June 2013, 17:41
If they could include it they would but it means that drivers will lose their jobs.

Davao is too different if you compare to Manila. Many rules and laws that Mayor Duterte implemented years ago are still going so it wont surprise me that this one will be a success.

Hope it will as it will keep Davao more CLEAN. :xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin::smile:

What??? All vehicles these days need a smoke test before re registration..
These smoke test centers are really just revenue collectors as Ive never seen a vehicle fail here and some right nasty smoke belchers going through too..
I have no wish to visit Davao anyway..

jonnijon
2nd June 2013, 22:39
Round the back of Abreeza they have a smoking area

keith britten
3rd June 2013, 01:54

Thanks jonnijon.

jake
3rd June 2013, 02:25

Reminds me of school :smile:

Jonnijon, meet you at the back of the tech block for a fag at break time!

mickcant
3rd June 2013, 05:48
Making any public place non smoking is good in my thoughts :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I had a distant relative here a couple of weeks ago, we went to a nice restaurant for a meal one evenings at a popular family location,

my relation is now in a wheelchair, but getting in and out the place was made worse because of the amount of people outside the entrance smoking :crazy:

As a lifelong non smoker who dislikes the smell, it was like running an obstacle course !
Mick :cwm23:

Arthur Little
3rd June 2013, 13:28
my relation is now in a wheelchair, but getting in and out the place was made worse because of the amount of people outside the entrance smoking :crazy:

As a lifelong non smoker who dislikes the smell, it was like running an obstacle course !
Mick :cwm23:

Yeah ... I'm sure it would be, Mick. :doh But the reality IS ... :anerikke: ... WHEREVER you go - be it a pub, restaurant or anywhere else, for that matter - you'll ALWAYS find people who enjoy a cigarette after a nice meal (me for one!) - and this is WHY even just a tiny modicum of foresight on the part of dictatorial politicians such as Mayor Duterte (along with those of his ilk, worldwide) wouldn't go amiss!

Surely, it'd make sense to provide comfortable [separate] indoor :Smokin: Areas in bars and/or eateries for folk wishing to indulge their habit.

Arthur Little
3rd June 2013, 13:45
Surely, it'd make sense to provide comfortable [separate] indoor :Smokin: Areas in bars and/or eateries for folk wishing to indulge their habit.

Plus :icon_rolleyes: ... NOBODY in their RIGHT mind ... wants to see THEIR neighbourhood streets littered with cigarette butts !!! :NoNo:

mickcant
3rd June 2013, 15:15
Plus :icon_rolleyes: ... NOBODY in their RIGHT mind ... wants to see city/town streets littered with cigarette butts !!! :NoNo:

Yes Arthur, I agree a room inside would benefit everyone, I have now seen some shops have a notice in the window saying "No Smoking in this doorway"
There is no good answer really is there :doh
Mick

grahamw48
3rd June 2013, 15:21
That's why so many pubs have closed. :smile:

fred
3rd June 2013, 15:44
That's why so many pubs have closed. :smile:

What you mean Graham?? The punters dont like the vibrant and clean sterile environment of the new modern pubs?
What a disappointment!

grahamw48
3rd June 2013, 15:50
The pub used to be a nice dark place with lots of swearing, sticky carpets and a stench of urine, beer and fags. A real 'home from home'. :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
3rd June 2013, 16:45
Yes Arthur, I agree a room inside would benefit everyone, I have now seen some shops have a notice in the window saying "No Smoking in this doorway"

:yeahthat:'s precisely my point, Mick. I mean ... for as long as the current legislation persists - and especially when the weather is foul :raining: (as it frequently IS in the British Isles) - you're gonna have smokers huddled in closes or shop doorways. Which, in turn, drives our "nation of shopkeepers" (a term used by some historical figure of notoriety to define us) :mad: - and ... :anerikke: ... who can really blame them, tbh???

There is no good answer really is there :doh
Mick

:bigcry: ... sadly, true!! Unless, of course, those responsible for our laws come forward with some fairer all round solution along similar lines to the one I've suggested :biggrin: ... in an attempt to keep ALL of us (smokers and non-smokers, alike) at least reasonably happy.

fred
3rd June 2013, 16:53
The pub used to be a nice dark place with lots of swearing, sticky carpets and a stench of urine, beer and fags. A real 'home from home'. :icon_lol:

Carpets??
Did you say carpets?
Sounds like a luxury saloon to me..
What was wrong with sawdust?? The landlord could sweep up the dog ends and the sick into a large pile and spread it on his tomatoes next morning.
Forget carpets.:wink:

Arthur Little
3rd June 2013, 17:33
:yeahthat:'s precisely my point, Mick. I mean ...................... in an attempt to keep ALL of us (smokers and non-smokers, alike) at least reasonably happy.

:wink: ... happiness is a cigar called 'Hamlet'!

Arthur Little
3rd June 2013, 18:12
:wink: ... *happiness is a cigar called 'Hamlet'!

*MINE ISN'T, though! :nono-1-1: ... I've never particularly cared much for the strong "taste" of cigars ... my individual preference being to stick with ONE (extremely satisfying) after~dinner, non-filtered cigarette, daily (using a holder) - allied to a penchant for puffing away merrily on a pipe, whenever I'm online at various intervals throughout each day. Helps my concentration, y'see! :smile:

Arthur Little
3rd June 2013, 18:54
There you ARE then, folks :laugher: ... the "Confessions of a Secret Smoker" as revealed to my friends here on the forum; otherwise, very few "outsiders" are aware of my "addiction".

grahamw48
3rd June 2013, 19:13
Carpets??
Did you say carpets?
Sounds like a luxury saloon to me..
What was wrong with sawdust?? The landlord could sweep up the dog ends and the sick into a large pile and spread it on his tomatoes next morning.
Forget carpets.:wink:

Well, when I say 'carpets'....:biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
3rd June 2013, 20:14
On the journey from Kabankalan to Dumaguete the bus stopped off for about ten minutes in a place called Mabini. I was just about to spark up when the bus conductor pointed to a sign which said that Mabini was a smoke free zone. Two more hours to Dumaguete and found they had the same policy. It wasn't too bad as the bars and restos allowed it and you could smoke by sari-sari's too.

Arthur Little
3rd June 2013, 23:07
There you ARE then, folks :laugher: ... the "Confessions of a Secret Smoker" as revealed to my friends here on the forum; otherwise, very few "outsiders" are aware of my "addiction".

:cwm24: ... assuming, of course, I've any LEFT after my disclosure! :yikes:!

Arthur Little
3rd June 2013, 23:13
:cwm24: ... assuming, of course, I've any LEFT after my disclosure! :yikes:!

:cwm25: ... NO comment(s) ......... ?? :yeahthat:

grahamw48
3rd June 2013, 23:18
Arthur, you're welcome at my humble abode anytime ....but please remember to use the temporary shelter in the back yard when you light up:Smokin:....many thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:biggrin:

Arthur Little
4th June 2013, 00:02
On the journey from Kabankalan to Dumaguete the bus stopped off for about ten minutes in a place called Mabini. I was just about to spark up when the bus conductor pointed to a sign which said that Mabini was a smoke free zone. Two more hours to Dumaguete and found they had the same policy. It wasn't too bad as the bars and restos allowed it and you could smoke by sari-sari's too.

Mabini? :omg: ... seems NOWHERE'S sacred (i.e., safe from the "do gooders") these days. :nono-1-1: ... not even my wife's birthplace!

Arthur Little
4th June 2013, 00:17
Arthur, you're welcome at my humble abode anytime ....but please remember to use the temporary shelter in the back yard when you light up :Smokin:....many thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:biggrin:

:omg: ... seems NOWHERE'S sacred (i.e., safe from the "do gooders") these days. :nono-1-1: ... not even my wife's birthplace!

:icon_sorry: ... Graham's temporary shelter in his back yard's available, [sigh of relief!]. Thankyou, Graham. :BouncyHappy:

jake
4th June 2013, 06:18
:cwm25: ... NO comment(s) ......... ?? :yeahthat:

Arthur, i did notice you enjoyed a puff every now and then :wink: Due to my irregular connection i was unable to reply at the time.

The smoking ban in Davao/Manila or any other city in the Philippines is public officials seeing the small issues and being totally blind to the bigger issues.
A smoke belching bus/jeep/tricycle probably omits more fumes than 50 smokers and just as harmful!

grahamw48
4th June 2013, 09:45
Totally agree Jake. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keith britten
4th June 2013, 10:12
Yeah ... I'm sure it would be, Mick. :doh But the reality IS ... :anerikke: ... WHEREVER you go - be it a pub, restaurant or anywhere else, for that matter - you'll ALWAYS find people who enjoy a cigarette after a nice meal (me for one!) - and this is WHY even just a tiny modicum of foresight on the part of dictatorial politicians such as Mayor Duterte (along with those of his ilk, worldwide) wouldn't go amiss!

I was beginning to think that I was the only outcast in this thread, just because the mayor does'nt smoke this stupid law imerges,even the president smokes so where will he gofor a quick drag if he ever comes to Davao. I was down town today for our weekly supplies trip, did I see any designated smoking area's? No. Did I see people smoking down side streets and back alleys? Yes. Lets be fair over this,give us smokers some leaway, even out door smoking area would be fine by me even if it's raining. I've been smoking for 55 years and not about to give up now.I used to enjoy our weekly down town jaunt, get supplies, have a meal, have a fag whenever, now it's a rush to get back home tothe safety ofmy own house again.

Arthur Little
4th June 2013, 11:37
Lets be fair over this, give us smokers some leaway,

:iagree:, Keith ... fairness all round is MY motto! Alas this quality appears to be particularly thin on the ground these days. :bigcry:

I used to enjoy our weekly down town jaunt, get supplies, have a meal, have a fag whenever, now it's a rush to get back home to the safety of my own house again.

:gp: ... thank God for the sanctuary of our own four walls.

fred
4th June 2013, 12:53
I was beginning to think that I was the only outcast in this thread, just because the mayor does'nt smoke this stupid law imerges,even the president smokes so where will he gofor a quick drag if he ever comes to Davao. I was down town today for our weekly supplies trip, did I see any designated smoking area's? No. Did I see people smoking down side streets and back alleys? Yes. Lets be fair over this,give us smokers some leaway, even out door smoking area would be fine by me even if it's raining. I've been smoking for 55 years and not about to give up now.I used to enjoy our weekly down town jaunt, get supplies, have a meal, have a fag whenever, now it's a rush to get back home tothe safety ofmy own house again.

If I was you Keith,I`d seriously consider moving..
No way would I put up with that type of treatment.. Stuff the Mayor IMO,and stuff his laws.

Terpe
4th June 2013, 13:25
If I was you Keith,I`d seriously consider moving..
No way would I put up with that type of treatment.. Stuff the Mayor IMO,and stuff his laws.

Coming to an establishment near you soon :biggrin:

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/uncle-sam/images/no-smoking-sign.jpg

fred
4th June 2013, 13:45
Coming to an establishment near you soon :biggrin:

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/uncle-sam/images/no-smoking-sign.jpg

Fortunately Peter,I live on nearly 4 Hectares of private land...
Within those boundaries I will always be free to do whatever I like..
Anyone I invite onto this private land is most welcome BUT unfortunately they have to adhere to my rules and I cannot abide the new school whingers etc.. They will be politely asked to leave!
Think Woodstock.

Arthur Little
4th June 2013, 18:12
Fortunately Peter, I live on nearly 4 Hectares of private land...
Within those boundaries I will always be free to do whatever I like..

... :gp: ... NO civic "hectoring" for you, then, Fred.

Ako Si Jamie
4th June 2013, 20:09
Mabini? :omg: ... seems NOWHERE'S sacred (i.e., safe from the "do gooders") these days. :nono-1-1: ... not even my wife's birthplace!So your missus is from Mabini in Negros, Arthur?

Arthur Little
5th June 2013, 13:27
So your missus is from Mabini in Negros, Arthur?

:NoNo:, Jamie ... she's from Mabini in Comval Province; I just hadn't realised there was ANOTHER Mabini!

Arthur Little
5th June 2013, 13:38
I just hadn't realised there was ANOTHER Mabini!

...............................................:yeahthat: one's located in Visayas ... according to Myrna.

fred
5th June 2013, 13:51
:NoNo:, Jamie ... she's from Mabini in Comval Province; I just hadn't realised there was ANOTHER Mabini!

I think there are a few places dotted around the P.I called Mabini..
Probably all of them were named after Prime minister and revolutionary,Apolinario Mabini who was in office before the turn of the Century.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/A_mabini.jpg

grahamw48
5th June 2013, 15:04
Yes there are Mabinis all over the Phils, as pointed out by Fred, but the one I always think of is Mabini St in Manila, location of that fine restaurant and live band venue...'Calle 5'. In fact I took my lady there last trip.

Always a variety of great local bands to see for just a small cover charge. Normally 3 or 4 bands in a row, with different styles. How about some head-banging ? :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP2dv2rIshw

Ako Si Jamie
5th June 2013, 23:35
:NoNo:, Jamie ... she's from Mabini in Comval Province; I just hadn't realised there was ANOTHER Mabini!I had to look up Comval Province because I've never heard of it. I realise now it's a shortened name of Compostela Valley. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
6th June 2013, 00:08
I had to look up Comval Province because I've never heard of it. I realise now it's a shortened name of Compostela Valley. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:smile: Yes :icon_rolleyes: ... you're RIGHT, of course, Jamie. Myrna had mentioned that in the past. But I'd forgotten. :doh

London_Manila
6th June 2013, 01:57
Arthur, i did notice you enjoyed a puff every now and then :wink: Due to my irregular connection i was unable to reply at the time.

The smoking ban in Davao/Manila or any other city in the Philippines is public officials seeing the small issues and being totally blind to the bigger issues.
A smoke belching bus/jeep/tricycle probably omits more fumes than 50 smokers and just as harmful!

Yes good point, I am sure that if i walked around Davao city then i could find many more pressing issues other than a few people smoking :wink:

Michael Parnham
6th June 2013, 07:42

You shock me Graham!:Smokin:

grahamw48
6th June 2013, 09:25
Only kidding Michael.

In fact, you could probably eat breakfast off my floor.

Just let me have a look...there must some on the carpet somewhere. :Erm:

keith britten
24th September 2013, 00:26
Found a smoking area in the most unlikely place, Davao City Immigration. To the left of the entrance door is a small alley, there you will find 2 chairs and a sand bucket for your stubs. Thank you immigration. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
24th September 2013, 08:23
Davao city :wink:padayun sa pag uswag:biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
24th September 2013, 08:41
Davao city :wink:padayun sa pag uswag:biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hey Moy.. para sa mas mahusay na ng bansa. Davao ay tumatagal ng isang lead na :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
24th September 2013, 15:04
Found a smoking area in the most unlikely place, Davao City Immigration. To the left of the entrance door is a small alley, there you will find 2 chairs and a sand bucket for your stubs. Thank you immigration. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Nice story there Keith ..............:icon_lol:

Moy
24th September 2013, 19:55
Hey Moy.. para sa mas mahusay na ng bansa. Davao ay tumatagal ng isang lead na :xxgrinning--00xx3:

so when you gonna visit devon :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:then my frend am waiting:biggrin::wink:

gWaPito
24th September 2013, 20:02
so when you gonna visit devon :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:then my frend am waiting:biggrin::wink:

You will get me shot!!:biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
24th September 2013, 20:03
I hope someone has told the terrorists. I have never seen a smoke free bomb.:cwm25:

gWaPito
24th September 2013, 20:03

:icon_lol: You make me laugh

Moy
25th September 2013, 11:50
You will get me shot!!:biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

i know :yikes::icon_lol::biggrin:what kind a shot you wanted lols:icon_lol::Cuckoo::cwm24::biggrin::wink: