PDA

View Full Version : vasectomy

stevewool
24th May 2013, 19:33
whos had it and did it HURT:yikes::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

grahamw48
24th May 2013, 19:47
I think mine's already gummed up through lack of use...would it make a difference anyway ? :cwm3:

stevewool
24th May 2013, 19:55
I think mine's already gummed up through lack of use...would it make a difference anyway ? :cwm3:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:, thats funny

RickyR
24th May 2013, 19:58
I need to have it done, but keep putting off....

Terpe
24th May 2013, 20:05
whos had it and did it HURT:yikes::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

A friend of mine booked a half day holiday from work to get it done.
He didn't come back for a good two weeks :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I won't go into details.:NoNo:

He did say the procedure itself was pretty painless, but he got very badly bruised somehow and had some nasty after effects.

Terpe
24th May 2013, 20:07
Doctor to Nurse:- "I said please remove his SPECTACLES" :icon_rolleyes:

stevewool
24th May 2013, 20:38
A friend of mine booked a half day holiday from work to get it done.
He didn't come back for a good two weeks :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I won't go into details.:NoNo:

He did say the procedure itself was pretty painless, but he got very badly bruised somehow and had some nasty after effects.

there somehow seems to be my answer

Terpe
24th May 2013, 20:47
there somehow seems to be my answer

Warning, off-topic post ahead...............

My brother had a vasectomy at a fairly early age based on his wife never wanting children.
They divorced within 2 years.
She married again and had 3 kids

My brother married again, but divorced soon after as his then wife wanted kids.

Very sad. Well for me since I lost my young brother way too early.
He was on his 4th marriage and never knew how to choose a good partner.
I miss him.

Sorry Steve, I digress.
There's a message somewhere :icon_rolleyes:

stevewool
24th May 2013, 20:54
well at 55 nearly and with our plans i think its fair for me to think about it ,
it was Ems who mentioned it to me,
THATS IT TOO MUCH THINKING, i shall leave it

Michael Parnham
24th May 2013, 20:55
No problem, I had it done in the late sixties, it was performed by a student doctor (a young lady) under supervision. It only took 5mins, no pain at all!

Janedan0913
24th May 2013, 21:55
My hubby said he will have vasectomy done after I give birth on our third child. Well, after all we dont have plans of divorcing each other. Although at times, we are like cats and dogs. lol.

Jamesey
24th May 2013, 23:15
Now that we have two kids, I'm going to gracefully retire from reproduction and get it done! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I chatted it through with my GP a couple of weeks ago. It's a simple procedure, but apparently I need to attend a counselling session first. That's booked for mid June.

But what surprised me is that once you've had it done, it can be 5 or 6 months before you're properly sterile. I assumed it was instant.

Arthur Little
25th May 2013, 03:11
As most regulars here know, I was widowed at the age of 47. Eventually, in my early 50s, I plucked up the courage to go out to 'Singles Nights' ... a brave new venture for someone whose last encounter with a dance floor (as a "free agent") had been nearly three decades earlier. :cwm24: Not unnaturally, my initial feelings were akin to those of an embarrassed teenager by the time the hotel receptionist led me through to the venue where that particular night's festivities were to take place.

As it happened, my anxiety was soon quelled on being introduced to a couple of divorced guys ... Frank & Gordon who befriended me. And thus began an exciting new chapter in my life. :Hellooo:

Anyway, the three of us became almost inseparable most weekends - especially on Sunday evenings - when we would "go clubbing" :REDancedancer08: to loads of other venues in towns and cities further afield ... usually conveyed by there by Frank, an off-duty taxicab owner.

Now Frank was a chatty bloke :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: (ask Les ... it's
an "occupational hazard" with taxi drivers :icon_sorry: Les, but in my experience it's true!). Often, the topic of conversation would resort to discussions on men's issues during our journeys. And, on one such occasion, Frank revealed he'd had "the snip". Apparently Gordon had intended having it done also, but "chickened :coolchickendance: out" in advance.

Alas Frank died very suddenly of a heart attack - standing upright still clutching the lawnmower while cutting his grass (nothing to do with his vasectomy, I hasten to add!) one Sunday afternoon in the Autumn of 2002 - a month shy of retirement ... though I still keep in touch with Gordon socially for the [very] occasional pub visit.

Steve.r
25th May 2013, 03:22
No one heard of safe sex :Erm:

I don't think and have never considered a vasectomy after having children. I really don't see the reason for it, specially when there are alternatives to invasive surgery.

Arthur Little
25th May 2013, 03:48
I really don't see the reason for it, specially when there are alternatives to invasive surgery.

:iagree:, Steve ... NOR do I ! :NoNo:

Michael Parnham
25th May 2013, 10:17
As most regulars here know, I was widowed at the age of 47. Eventually, in my early 50s, I plucked up the courage to go out to 'Singles Nights' ... a brave new venture for someone whose last encounter with a dance floor (as a "free agent") had been nearly three decades earlier. :cwm24: Not unnaturally, my initial feelings were akin to those of an embarrassed teenager by the time the hotel receptionist led me through to the venue where that particular night's festivities were to take place.

As it happened, my anxiety was soon quelled on being introduced to a couple of divorced guys ... Frank & Gordon who befriended me. And thus began an exciting new chapter in my life. :Hellooo:

Anyway, the three of us became almost inseparable most weekends - especially on Sunday evenings - when we would "go clubbing" :REDancedancer08: to loads of other venues in towns and cities further afield ... usually conveyed by there by Frank, an off-duty taxicab owner.

an "occupational hazard" with taxi drivers :icon_sorry: Les, but in my experience it's true!). Often, the topic of conversation would resort to discussions on men's issues during our journeys. And, on one such occasion, Frank revealed he'd had "the snip". Apparently Gordon had intended having it done also, but "chickened :coolchickendance: out" in advance.

Alas Frank died very suddenly of a heart attack - standing upright still clutching the lawnmower while cutting his grass (nothing to do with his vasectomy, I hasten to add!) one Sunday afternoon in the Autumn of 2002 - a month shy of retirement ... though I still keep in touch with Gordon socially for the [very] occasional pub visit.

What an interesting story Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
25th May 2013, 10:20
What an interesting story Arthur:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, I enjoyed reading about Arthur and his mates clubbing.

Bit of a dark horse it seems, our Arthur. :biggrin:

Arthur Little
25th May 2013, 10:45
What an interesting story Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks, Michael.

I have never felt any "compelling urge" to undergo the procedure. And, of course, :anerikke: having since been diagnosed with diabetes, I no longer see the "point", in a manner of speaking. :laugher:

stevewool
25th May 2013, 11:07

most people do not realize it is very frightning walking into a strange bar when you are alone , i dont like it too, all ways nice when you can see someone you know, a nice little snippit to your past Arthur, thankyou

Steve.r
25th May 2013, 17:38
a nice little snippit :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

stevewool
25th May 2013, 19:16
Good hay snippit :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmac
25th May 2013, 20:15
ive known a couple of guys who had the snip--to spare their wives the risk of further pregnancies. in both cases---the marriage subsequently failed---the guys remarried---only to find re-constructive surgery was not possible. make of that what you will.

i still fire live rounds.

stevewool
25th May 2013, 20:31
like anything in life nothing is guranteed we all hope for nothing to happen, just like getting pregnant, but if it happened well you shall get on with it,

Arthur Little
25th May 2013, 21:30
Yes, I enjoyed reading about Arthur and his mates clubbing.

Thanks, Graham ... I'm glad you enjoyed "delving into" my "murky" past. Yes, those were the days!!! :icon_rolleyes: However, the emphasis here is on the word "were" ... because, much as I relished re~living my teenage years in my fifties [at the time] I certainly had my share of "ups and downs" romantically! What 'singleton' doesn't? (I'm not talking about this > :do_it: side of things either, :nono-1-1: but rather, the emotional fallout!) e.g., at one stage, I even stupidly got engaged (for all of a fortnight! :cwm24:) to a 41-yr-old when I was 53. Trouble was, her jealous nature impacted on her basic insecurities ... for instance, she repeatedly accused me of fancying :hubbahubba: some of her considerably younger friends. :doh ... as IF!

Anyhow ... I learned a few hard lessons - notably ... that good looks are purely superficial ... that what, in fact, really counts is a woman's inner beauty ... i.e., her personality.

Thankfully, I'm once again in the fortunate position of being very happily married to a woman who ticks all the boxes that ANY man could wish for; therefore, there's no way I'd ever want to return to the lifestyle I've just described. :NoNo:

Bit of a dark horse it seems, our Arthur. :biggrin:

Only temporarily ... well ... 17 years actually! :yikes: Luckily for me, my "long~suffering" mum (who was still alive at the time) never knew the half of what her "wayward" elder son got up to during that interlude between his two marriages. :biggrin:

grahamw48
25th May 2013, 23:02
Just as I suspected. :icon_lol:

Michael Parnham
25th May 2013, 23:13
ive known a couple of guys who had the snip--to spare their wives the risk of further pregnancies. in both cases---the marriage subsequently failed---the guys remarried---only to find re-constructive surgery was not possible. make of that what you will.

i still fire live rounds.

It can be reversed Bigmac, even at my age, my GP in the UK told me but I would have to go private and would cost approx £3500!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
25th May 2013, 23:57
Nowadays I think you can have some of your 'stuff' frozen before the Stanley knife comes out. :Erm:

gWaPito
26th May 2013, 00:20
No one heard of safe sex :Erm:

I don't think and have never considered a vasectomy after having children. I really don't see the reason for it, specially when there are alternatives to invasive surgery.
Totally agree. .my wife's idea of contraception is not at all. .saving a bundle on condoms, annoying frequent showers and such like...Once a week is enough, whether I need it or not.

On the other hand, for the sake of a harmonious, enduring long loving relationship, I would absolutely NOT recommend this method of contraception.

Cheers
Mark :biggrin:

Arthur Little
26th May 2013, 00:36
Nowadays I think you can have some of your 'stuff' frozen before the Stanley knife comes out. :Erm:

:laugher: ... and I had been wondering :icon_rolleyes: WHY my pal, Gordon "did a runner" :Bolt: prior to the event.

Arthur Little
26th May 2013, 00:49
I even stupidly got engaged (for all of a fortnight! :cwm24:) to a 41-yr-old when I was 53. Trouble was, her jealous nature impacted on her basic insecurities ... for instance, she repeatedly accused me of fancying :hubbahubba: some of her considerably younger friends. :doh ... as IF!

Heather, she was called. Now I KNOW the answer to the :joke: about the homosexual Highlander :Kilt: who ...

... preferred peat :Sex: to heather!

gWaPito
26th May 2013, 00:52
It can be reversed Bigmac, even at my age, my GP in the UK told me but I would have to go private and would cost approx £3500!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Oh yes, it can be reversed and it will cost you that sort of money.

Unfortunately, success rates are not as successful as the actual vasectomy. In fact it is way below the success of the vasectomy. ..Our own Doc Alan would be best to comment on this. .I would say you would need to be absolutely sure you don't want any more babies whatever the future could throw at you.

I was reversed in 2010, 16years after the initial operation at the Park bupa care hospital at Nottingham. .Dr Harriss. (that's correct spelling). I was lucky, my wife fell pregnant straight away then again 9 months later.

Hence why i sleep on the sofa!

I would never recommend having a vasectomy to anyone. .unless of course for health reasons.

Cheers
Mark

sars_notd_virus
26th May 2013, 22:36
vasectomy??
I think men here in the UK should consider this , if they cannot keep their pants on!!
it is so humiliating for us taxpayers to pay for their popped out babies :cwm23:

Arthur Little
27th May 2013, 02:12
vasectomy??
I think men here in the UK should consider this, if they cannot keep their pants on!!

OUCH! Mari ... :reaction: < (reacting, more appropriately, from "down below!" :icon_lol:) I watched a video clip of the procedure on You Tube after reading this thread ... and, in spite of its having been classified as a minor, pain~free operation, it looked to me like "anything but"!

stevewool
27th May 2013, 11:14
OUCH! Mari ... :reaction: < (reacting, more appropriately, from "down below!" :icon_lol:) I watched a video clip of the procedure on You Tube after reading this thread ... and, in spite of its having been classified as a minor, pain~free operation, it looked to me like "anything but"!

thanks Arthur i shall not watch youtube and thanks for all the other comments too, i shall stay as god made me and use my trusted way, TRUST ME EVERYTHING WILL BE OK :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:, somehow after 3 kids i dont think that did work :icon_lol:

Iani
27th May 2013, 16:01
*crosses legs after reading this thread.

lordna
27th May 2013, 16:55
I had a vasectomy before my fist wife died when our 3rd child was about 1, he is now 18. As i remember it wasn't particularly painful.

When i remarried recently 2009, decided to have a vasectomy reversal. The cost was £2500 and my god it was painful after for about 3 /4 weeks. The success rates are getting better and better and apparently mine was a success although no sign of a pregnancy yet.

My advice would be don't have the vasectomy in the first place as with hindsight I regretted it. I am now 59 but my wife obviously a lot younger and would like another child if we can. My VR was also done by MR Harris in Nottingham.

sars_notd_virus
27th May 2013, 18:59
I had a vasectomy before my fist wife died when our 3rd child was about 1, he is now 18. As i remember it wasn't particularly painful.

When i remarried recently 2009, decided to have a vasectomy reversal. The cost was £2500 and my god it was painful after for about 3 /4 weeks. The success rates are getting better and better and apparently mine was a success although no sign of a pregnancy yet.

My advice would be don't have the vasectomy in the first place as with hindsight I regretted it. I am now 59 but my wife obviously a lot younger and would like another child if we can. My VR was also done by MR Harris in Nottingham.

yes I agree, vasectomy could be a wrong choice for ''responsible'' people but how about the men who doesnt have any choice but
to spread their semens??

gWaPito
27th May 2013, 19:30

After a lot of research, I plumped for Mr Harriss as well. ....he was one of the 3 most successful at the time (May.2010) at doing this process.

The morning after the RV he paid me a visit. The advice he gave was. ..'this is where you have to play your part, no sex for 2 weeks then after, do it as much as you can'. He said that live sperms didn't stop producing so, their are many dead sperms to clear'....the only sensation felt after the operation was a dull ache which lasted a few days...the tenderness lasted up until the end of the second week which by then I was prepared, under Mr Harriss's instruction, to get to work. I wasn't going to waste £2500!

I purchased a fertility monitor beforehand, which pinpointed my wife's ovulation exactly. She fell pregnant after the first ovulation cycle ..had we not of used that monitor, it was quite possible she wouldn't of become pregnant at all. It turns she didn't ovulate until day 23.
It was the same case for Jobe our second baby.

Cheers
Mark

Doc Alan
27th May 2013, 20:38
Already there are a range of members’ experiences and opinions about vasectomy, which is well explained here ( http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/vasectomy-male-sterilisation.aspx ). It’s available as an NHS procedure in most cases ( perhaps on a waiting list ) but may also be done privately. In the Philippines it may be available in public hospitals or a few private hospitals / medical centres (http://www.health-tourism.com/vasectomy/philippines/ ).

It might be helpful to highlight a few facts :-
• Although the tubes carrying sperm from the testes to the penis are cut, blocked or sealed permanently in almost all cases, sperm continue to be produced. This is unlike any other glands in the body ( where blockage of their ducts stops production of the hormone or other substance ). The sperm are “ absorbed “ ( destroyed in the testicles ).

• The ejaculate ( semen ) is about the same volume as before, but with no sperm. It does take up to 20 ejaculations, and 12 weeks before the semen is free of sperm. Semen samples must be tested by microscopic examination in the laboratory ( part of my work ) until no sperm are seen.

• Vasectomy doesn’t affect male hormone levels or sexual pleasure, or the risk of sexually-transmitted diseases, but the inability to father more children can have emotional effects.

• The various possible procedures to carry out vasectomy are generally safe, both short-term and long-term ( no increased risk of cancer / heart disease ).

• Reversal IS possible while not easy, but expensive and not usually available on the NHS. ( Rarely the tubes may reconnect as a result of new channels forming naturally. As sperm are still being formed they may once more be present in semen ).

• Counselling is ESSENTIAL before vasectomy. It may be informed discussion ( as here on the forum ) and also formal, not only for the man but also his partner. This is because there ARE other methods of “ family planning “ including female sterilisation.

• Informed consent is vital. It’s not for me to make judgements about the need or type of sterilisation – but ideally ANY man who is likely to regret having had a vasectomy will be identified - either informally or during counselling and examination before any procedure. Clearly some men may later regret their decision … through changed circumstances unforeseen at the time of the procedure. They also need support and of course consideration for reversal.

grahamw48
27th May 2013, 22:30
Thanks Doc Alan. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
28th May 2013, 02:05
Thanks Alan, I am never going to do it. I am a modern man and have grown up knowing about protection/prevention. I think to be honest it is an outdated procedure.

Sars, maybe it is not the male population of the UK that need a vasectomy, too many mouths to feed back in Phils is what I was thinking.

Jamesey
28th May 2013, 21:52
Thanks Doc Alan. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

That's great info and will help when I go for my counselling session in a couple of weeks time. :biggrin:

I think having a vasectomy is the responsible thing to do, instead of always expecting the ladies to use the various drugs and contraptions available to them. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
29th May 2013, 01:12
I think having a vasectomy is the responsible thing to do, instead of always expecting the ladies to use the various drugs and contraptions available to them. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Why is it down to the woman to be 'expected' to do this. Condoms are free at any NHS clinic.

grahamw48
29th May 2013, 10:43
Why is it down to the woman to be 'expected' to do this. Condoms are free at any NHS clinic.

Are they ?

Dammit...can't believe I've overlooked a freebie :doh

grahamw48
29th May 2013, 11:57
Well, I suppose they may come in handy one day. :cwm3:

Arthur Little
29th May 2013, 11:59
Why is it down to the woman to be 'expected' to do this.

:iagree: ... surely it's up to (or should that be for?) men to take THEIR share of the responsibility!

Arthur Little
29th May 2013, 12:11
Condoms are free at any NHS clinic.

:gp: [pun intended!] ... they're even available for "uplift" in hospital waiting areas; indeed, when I attended an outpatient appointment at Perth Royal Infirmary last Thursday morning, I had occasion to notice :cwm25: a shallow basket laden with "johnnies" in the main foyer.

Just another "snippet" of useful information at the "cutting edge" of family planning! :wink: