PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream Van as a business

Ako Si Jamie
20th May 2013, 20:25
Ice Cream Vans around my way are just starting to be seen as the weather is getting warmer. For the majority of the year they're hibernating understandably but have you ever wondered what the drivers do in the colder months? :Erm:

Do they just sit around doing nothing and only start working when the summer arrives? :anerikke:

It would probably be quite a good earner if the weather was good 365 but I don't get the point of a part-time business like this unless you own a van and employ someone short-term, then have other ways to make money for the rest of the year.

Maybe that is what happens. Anyone know?

Dedworth
20th May 2013, 20:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlPxbowJlXg

I've often heard that there are unsavoury characters involved in this business

Ako Si Jamie
20th May 2013, 20:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlPxbowJlXg

I've often heard that there are unsavoury characters involved in this businessI heard about the Ice Cream Wars in Glasgow back in the 80's I think. I didn't know they still went on.

bigmarco
20th May 2013, 22:11
Yep there's been some Turf wars in London over the years Ice Cream and Burger Vans. I'm sure Roger Cook done a programme on it years ago and come up against some nasty characters.

imagine
20th May 2013, 22:30
maybe they earn enough in the summer to cover for the winter, im sure most would have something to fall back on, maybe they sign on:Erm:

Ako Si Jamie
20th May 2013, 22:38
maybe they earn enough in the summer to cover for the winter, im sure most would have something to fall back on, maybe they sign on:Erm:I wouldn't have thought so seeing it's only a few months of work and profit margins wouldn't be great but you might be right about signing on though.

fred
21st May 2013, 09:09
My old man used to have an ice cream van (70`s).. He used to make a bloody fortune in the summer months.. He seemed to mainly go to big events around the UK.. In the winter he was a painter @ decorator,coal man,Bread delivery driver,caterer..You name it.
3 nights a week he played guitar in a band gigging in pubs/clubs to earn a few bob..
The following summer he was an ice cream man again!!
He didnt really like taking me with him as I had expensive tastes where ice cream was concerned.