PDA

View Full Version : Hansen packing in Match of The Day

Dedworth
16th May 2013, 18:06
The TV veteran, 57 — notorious for his Saturday night pronouncements of “unbelievable” — will call it a day after next year’s World Cup.

His decision not to renew his contract follows uproar when it emerged the BBC was paying him £1.5million a year while pleading poverty and firing staff.

The storm saw the ex-Liverpool and Scotland defender last year take a £500,000 pay cut to £1million.

Last night Hansen, who has been a TV fixture for more than 20 years, was said to want to quit the small screen for good. BT had been tipped to sign him up for its new sports channel — which will boast exclusive coverage of 38 Premier League matches next season.

But a source close to him said: “Alan is sad to go but he’s had a fair run at it. It was more or less a mutual decision between him and the BBC.

“He’s not currently considering any other offers and is looking forward to some time off. He is nearly 60 now and he’s got more than enough money to retire.”

Hansen’s vow to go comes just weeks after Match of the Day’s host Gary Lineker was persuaded to stay.

The former England striker, 52 — also famed for his Walkers crisp adverts — had been courted by NBC in the US.

He was offered a new seven-figure deal despite critics of the BBC’s flagship soccer show slamming it as too dull.

The exit of Hansen could be seized on by the corporation to shake up the long-running format — affecting the futures of remaining pundits Alan Shearer, 42, and Mark Lawrenson, 55.

Bosses are believed to have recently approached former England star Phil Neville, 36, with the offer of a big money deal.

They are said to have been impressed by his brother Gary’s enthusiastic appearances and match analysis turns on Sky Sports.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4929428/Alan-Hansen-quits-Match-of-the-Day.html#ixzz2TTZvtZW3

A great shame we have to wait another 12 months for him to go - worrying that those other 2 neanderthals Lawrenson and Shearer are still on the payroll and that Phil Nevilles name is being touted

les_taxi
16th May 2013, 18:24
They are said to have been impressed by his brother Gary’s enthusiastic appearances and match analysis turns on Sky Sports
I'm not biased one bit with Gary Neville but he has been excellent as a pundit and you can tell he has the knowledge to back up what he says,don't think we need the other neville,thats overkill but a lot of my mates have admitted Gary has done well and although they will never like him say he is better than most.

gWaPito
16th May 2013, 19:47
I'll miss Hansen, like a boil on my bum :NoNo:....methinks he's angling for more money. ..you can't tell me it was his wife's idea for him to retire. .I bet she dreads the day. :blahblah:

Ako Si Jamie
16th May 2013, 23:53
Can't believe Hansen's nearly 60. :grosyeux:

Arthur Little
17th May 2013, 00:56
The TV veteran, Hansen, 57 — notorious for his Saturday night pronouncements of “unbelievable” — will call it a day after next year’s World Cup.

:yeahthat:'s because he's decided he needs to spend more time in his "day job" as Director of Surgery at Holby City Hospital ... lest he keeps making a "ballsup" :football21: of his "operational" duties.

:yeahthat:'s UNBELIEVABLE!

Arthur Little
17th May 2013, 01:26
...methinks he's angling for more money...

:cwm24: ... someone with his megabucks "needs more *cash" :biggrin: about as much as Tony Blair merits *it to pay for Cherie's lo~ng-overdue facelift! :laughitupsmilie: